TM R5 D 10.5* - Face angle?

tbear ·  
tbeartbear Members  73WRX Points: 0Posts: 73
What is the tolerance for Retail heads??
Just wondering if anyone here knows the specs on R5 D 10.5* face angle:

I have a new Nak 460 10.5 on order from Chip that will be as closed as my R5 D 10.5

driver. Problem is that I don't know exactly how closed it is (I think it is around 1.5 -2.5*). Does anyone know the exact specs on the R5 D 10.5* in terms of how closed the face is and how consistant it is from R5 to R5 ???

Thanks for anybody's help in advance!!

Aloha

tbear
Posted:
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• GxgolferGxgolfer Site Founder & Co-Owner SF Bay Area, CARules Official, Administrator  27126WRX Points: 467Posts: 27,126 Marshals
    tbear wrote on May 29 2005, 09:24 PM:

I have a new Nak 460 10.5 on order from Chip that will be as closed as my R5 D 10.5

driver. Problem is that I don't know exactly how closed it is (I think it is around 1.5 -2.5*). Does anyone know the exact specs on the R5 D 10.5* in terms of how closed the face is and how consistant it is from R5 to R5 ???

Aloha

tbear
    »

The + and - tolerances are pretty wide on retail heads, so I don't think you will ever have an exact number. They vary too much from head to head.
    Posted:
    Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:
    Have a Ad/BST question, first look and post here:
    BST AD Help
    If you have a general help question, post here:
    GolfWRX Website Help Desk
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • tbeartbear Members  73WRX Points: 0Posts: 73
    Gxgolfer

Thanks for the reply, I guess I would like to find out how variable the values are ie - is it 1.5* + or - 0.5*, or more like 2.5* + or - 0.75*, or is it worse than that like 2* + or - 2*???? This would be pretty bad yea, if the heads vary as much as this!!
    Posted:
    Gxgolfer

Are you a Taylor Made rep? Would 1* to 2* closed on the R5 D 10.5* be a good approximation on this head then??

Thanks and Aloha

tbear
    Posted:
  • GxgolferGxgolfer Site Founder & Co-Owner SF Bay Area, CARules Official, Administrator  27126WRX Points: 467Posts: 27,126 Marshals
    tbear wrote on May 30 2005, 03:57 PM:
    Gxgolfer

Are you a Taylor Made rep?  Would 1* to 2* closed on the R5 D 10.5* be a good approximation on this head then??

Thanks and Aloha

tbear
    »

I'm not a TM rep, though I think there are a few here that know more than most of them. Probalby Joe or one of the reps here can answer your question soon. I know the tolerances are + and - but, I don't know he range.
    Posted:
    Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:
    BST AD Help
    Gxgolfer

Ok, thanks again. Anybody else (like a TM rep) can help me out here??

Aloha

tbear
    Posted:
  • obagainobagain Charter Members  173WRX Points: 0Posts: 173
    tbear wrote on May 29 2005, 11:24 PM:

Aloha

tbear
    »

The R5 is 1.5 but could be 1-1.5.
    Posted:

Advertisement
    obagain wrote on Jun 2 2005, 09:56 AM:
    The R5 is 1.5 but could be 1-1.5.
    »

Thanks OB!
    Posted:
    BST AD Help
    obagain and Gxgolfer

Ok thanks guys for all your help on this, sounds good since Chip has sent a head that is closed exactly 1.5*..... You know I had people telling me that the face was closed anywhere from 0.5 to 4.0* so I didn't know what to believe?? When I took my R5 D 10.5 into Nevada Bob's I got an answer like .... "Gee, looks pretty closed to me hmmm.... about 1.5 or 3.0* (how's that for an exact estimate)"???? And I tried Joe but he said he couldn't be sure about the tolerences from an OEM and so suggested I write directly to Taylor Made..... I'm still waiting for an answer... Gosh, I figure I'll have about 3-4 rounds in with the new Nak before I hear back from them!! :-) :-)

Thanks Again and Aloha

tbear
    Posted:
  • nuneenunee Members  644WRX Points: 0Handicap: 14.7Posts: 644
    I think the standard tolerances on retail heads are +/- 1*. But they probably vary by company.

This is usually from their given spec. So a head 1* closed could range anywhere from 2* closed to 0* (or square) due to manufacturing tolerances.
    Posted:
    Nike Covert Tour 2.0 - Velox
    Nike T60 3w & 5w - Aldila NV
    Nike Covert 2.0 or CPR 3 HY
    Nike NDS/Pro Combo Split Set
    Nike VR 52* & 56*
    Nike T130
  • yogiyogi Members  336WRX Points: 0Posts: 336
    I couldn't really say one way or the other because I have never asked. What I know is that I have a retail R5 with the weights removed that sets up square if not open, compared to a R5TP of mine that is about 1 degree closed. I'm lucky that I can pick through about 100 clubs. My point is, they come in most every set up you need, you just have to look around. Most companies will say their tolerances are + or _ about .5, which obviously can be a full degree of difference. I would say many slip through that are off a full degree and a either way. I'm not one to gossip so you didn't here that from me. image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':busted_cop:' />
    Posted:
  • obagainobagain Charter Members  173WRX Points: 0Posts: 173
    Taylor made is pretty good with the tolorences. When you get to someone like callaway it can be a full 2* off. Most of the ones we have checked have been either 1 or 1.5*.
    Posted:

Advertisement
    nunee

Thanks for your reply, I guess it is best to do what I did, get a handpicked head.

yogi

Thanks and you are lucky to be able to choose from that many, I agree that it certainly varies between heads. Boy that R5 TP head was 1.0* closed, I am not complaing because that is what I need, but they are supposed to be "dead square or slightly open" I believe. And of course Yogi, I never "recall" hearing from you about some heads "slipping through" the QA/QC....!!! :-) :-)

obagain

Thanks Again, it is good to know that TM is pretty good for tolerences. Gee, I wonder if that explains the huge fade I am getting with my new Cally 454 10*, I tend to hit most of my drivers dead straight or a very slight draw or fade with good control??? Where can I go to check if my 454 (which is supposed to be square)???
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.