The Single Malt Scotch Thread

cardoustie

[quote name='eagle1997' timestamp='1364999793' post='6750907']
when i doubt, this is my go-to. for anyone who likes both bourbon and scotch, it's a must try.
[/quote]

As the official starter of the Bourbon thread, I approve this message and whiskey.

TSR2 8*, Ventus TR Red 7x

TSi2 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR2 18°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

MP-20 MMC  5-P, DG X100
SM8 50F, 54S, 58M (X7 "spinners")
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

I'm an ardent scotch drinker. If you come to my house and there's no scotch... you came to see me off to neverneverland.

Don't turn your nose up at Irish Whiskey. Tullamore Dew is pretty tasty. (It is a blend)

PING G25 12 degree w/S+ @ 45"
Titleist 910F 17° / 910h 24° & 27°
Titleist 913Hd 20°
PING G25's 6-U KBS Tour - V
Cleveland RTX 53 / 588 56°
Callaway ProType ix 9ht

My single malt experience is limited, but I love the stuff. I've had a few Glenmorangie varieties (10, Quinta Ruban, La Santa), Glenlivet 12 and Macalan 10. I have preferred those whiskies without any post-oak aging and the Glenlivet didn't hit me in the right way -- I don't have the refined palette yet to describe why. As a lover of pilsners and pale ales, I am very intrigued by the earthy descriptions of Laphroaig. Will have to sample that.

D| Titleist 975D 9.5* DG S300

3W| Titleist 980F 15* DG S300

5W| Titleist 975F 18.5* DG S300

3-P| Wilson Staff FG-51 DG X100

SW| Maltby TSW 56* DG X100

LW| Maltby TSW 60* DG S300

P| Ping Anser

Ball| Maxfli Tour S Yellow

My poker playing crew would play weekly and buy a different scotch almost every week. Sometimes the purchaser went with an old standby by we mostly wanted to try stuff new to most of the group.

If you are not a Scotch drinker by trade or hobby, I would recommend staying away from Laphroaig until you get a taste for what it is to drink most Scotch Whiskey's.

One night my friend brings a bottle of laphroaig. The heavy peat flavor was a unanimous turn off. With in a few mere sips I observed, with all the class and tact I could muster, something like "This S*** tastes like a band aid" So my buddy got out his "all about scotch" book his dad had given him and in the review for Laphroaig it stated it "posessed a distinct gauzy flavor" Which immediately made me look like a genius!

But, the cards were flying the beer was flowing and we weren't going to waste it. It took me probably 2 or 3 pours before I warmed up to it. Adding a single ice chip helped a little. not something i typically do. By the end of the evening we all agreed it was not our favorite by a long shot but wasn't horrible. I said to maybe stay away from it and i don't mean forever. Just stick with the Aberlour's, Glenlivets of the world for a while. Not all Scotch's are the same and they all have attributes to enjoy but Laphroaig is well on the periphery of flavor spectrum of what you would expect. I just don't want someone who wants to enjoy scotch to try it as there second bottle ever and get turned off to the whole idea. It is just very different.

Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
Hybrid undecided
Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

Johnny Walker Black, while a blend, has a distinctly peaty flavor. Certainly not in the league Laphroaig but nevertheless will give one a mild idea of what to expect.
I remember the first time I tried Laphroiag... Whoa! Certainly not everyone's cup of tea.

PING G25 12 degree w/S+ @ 45"
Titleist 910F 17° / 910h 24° & 27°
Titleist 913Hd 20°
PING G25's 6-U KBS Tour - V
Cleveland RTX 53 / 588 56°
Callaway ProType ix 9ht

And we agree on Tullamore Dew! Always had a bottle of Tully around for poker. I can't remember the last time I had any whiskey.

Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
Hybrid undecided
Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, I'm a craft beer guy and brew some too but I am now becoming interested in the darker side of things and I have a few stupid questions. Please tell me what the differences are in bourbon, single malt, blend? I think I have an idea but I just want to know for sure and I figured if you have experts to ask don't waste the opportunity. Thanks.

[quote name='rwill' timestamp='1365941846' post='6837623']
Alright, I'm a craft beer guy and brew some too but I am now becoming interested in the darker side of things and I have a few stupid questions. Please tell me what the differences are in bourbon, single malt, blend? I think I have an idea but I just want to know for sure and I figured if you have experts to ask don't waste the opportunity. Thanks.
[/quote]
Bourbons made of mostly corn, and made in the US, and Scotch (single malt or blend) is made of mostly malted barley, and made in Scotland. Single Malt scotch is made from a single distillery, Blended consists of atleast two different distillery's, many times more than 2. For the most part, blended is cheaper than Single Malt, but there are some more expensive blends, your "distinguished" Scotch drinkers say the only drink single malts, but I've had some blends that are I like much better than singles. You can't really do a taste test and taste the difference in Single vs Blended (its just the way they are made, and produce different tastes) as you definitely can in Bourbon vs Scotch (Scotches barley is smoked over peat, and has a definite smokey flavor, some says that's what tastes medicine). I like them both, Bourbons, Scotches, and both single malts and blended, its fun to find one you really like that's your go to and then experiment in between with different brands as they all have distinctive flavors, and smoothness.

this was on sale at my local, and i went in blind. VERY interesting flavor, deep and savory. wasn't sure i liked it at first, but it ended up being great with the rib eye i was having. and it was only $24!

benromach-traditional-speyside-750__66026.1336417432.1280.1280.jpg

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

I love Scotch. If I could only have one flavor for the rest of my life I would drink Laphroaig. The peaty taste is fantastic! My number two Scotch would be Balvenie, one of the most smooth tasting scotch's I've ever had. This is an awesome thread.

M1 440 Tour Issue - ADDI 6x
M3 HL - ADDI 6x
M1 3 iron
Taylormade Tour Preferred MB
Taylormade EF 52*, 58*
TM Spider S

[quote name='rabbit111' timestamp='1366810665' post='6906975']
Have just sat down with the Glenlivet 15 year old. Have to say I like the 12 better, think has to do with the French oak sherry casks. Almost like they made it to appeal to non whiskey drinkers
[/quote]

Totally agree. For me, the 'French oak' version tastes... wrong somehow. My FIL loves it, to each his own.

The more I hear about Laprohaig, good and bad, the more interested I become.

On my hit list:
Oban
Laprohaig (sp?)
Craggo-something (sp definitely incorrect)
That one that Matt the taff mentioned a couple posts ago.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

I've only recently been turned on to Scotch. I have historically been a Crown or Bourbon drinker. I started hanging out with a guy I met at the golf course, and he got me started drinking Scotch. I tried it on my own a while back, but my first experience was with Laphroaig, and I wanted to puke. I could not even finish the bottle. I swore off Scotch at that time. Fast forward a couple of years (which works out to a couple of months ago), and my buddy buys me a glass of Dalwhinnie. I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was pretty smooth, much unlike the swill that is Laphroaig. I then started experimenting, and buying various Scotches. In my trials, I have learned 2 things. 1 - I do not like blends. I haven't found one yet that I enjoyed, so I just quit trying them. 2 - I do not like Islays. Again, haven't found one I like, so I quit trying them. I have come to discover that my favorite Scotch is Balvenie 12 year Doublewood. It is very smooth, and goes great with a few cubes of ice. As much of a whiskey drinker as I am, I have never been able to drink it room temperature, unless I was doing shots just trying to get drunk. I don't enjoy it neat, so when I drink to enjoy it, I drink it on the rocks. Macallen, Glenlevit, Glenfiddich, and a few others I fail to remember are all good, but I keep going back to the Balvenie.

This past saturday night, I went out to a nice restaurant with my wife. While waiting on our table, I went to the bar and ordered a double Balvenie on the rocks. The bar tender eventually brings it to me, and I immediately noticed it was not what I was accustomed to, and quite frankly, it was not as smooth or as good as I was expecting. Then she brings me the bill. $60! For ONE GLASS of scotch! I understand for the better Scotch, this is not out of the question, and had I knowingly ordered an expensive Scotch, I would have been ok. Apparently, she gleefully poured my 2 shots of the 21 year Balvenie at $30/shot. Had I not been well into drinking it by the time I got the bill, I might have protested a bit more. I did explain to the manager that when someone orders something like that, it would be good practice for the bartender (who was not overly busy) to present the bottle and give a little information. This was a nice restaurant, and the practice is not something that is out of the question. I buy an entire bottle of Balvenie for $60, so I was quite shocked to find out the drink alone cost that. Either way, lesson learned on my part. Ask for a whiskey menu. That was a $60 mistake I will only make once.

• 2 weeks later...

strangest thing on saturday. i saw a kirkland single malt scotch 18 year 1 liter bottle (not the typical 750 ml) at my brother in law's house. after my initial dismay at the branding, i found it to be delish. come to find out, he bought it at washington dc costco for $29. ARE YOU EFFING KIDDING ME? has anyone else seen/tried this?

the scotch is finished in a sherry cask for an indeterminate amount of time, has a wonderful color, and is very smooth. 80 proof. i'm going to the dc costco sometime this week to investigate further. frankly, i was amazed at the taste and the value is unreal.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

I just bought some of the Kirkland stuff myself, not bad at all. My default is the 12 year Glenlivet or glenfiddich. All the suggestions have been great, I need to step out of my comfort zone every once in awhile.

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 Max 9* Matrix 8M3
3 Wood: TM 16 M2 13* Diamana Thump 75
4-7 Wood: Cobra F6 Baffler 19* PX Evenflow
4 Iron: TM RSI TP UDI Aldila Rip'd VS Proto
5-PW: Bridgestone J15DF KBS C-Taper
50,56,60: Callaway MD3, Vokey TVD, Mizuno T7
Putter: Method 003, Bettinardi Queen B7

• 7 months later...

haven't seen any updates in this for a while! Getting it re-started

I bought a Isle of Jura "prophecy" this week for New Years. It's heavily peated but not on the Laphroig or Ardbeg levels

It's actually really really good.

I have a 12 year Aberlour and a 17 year old Glenfarclas too

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

At my bachelor party a couple months ago I had a glass of Benraich 40yr. Was it the best glass of single malt I've ever had the opportunity to try, yes. Can the pricetag be justified...absolutely not. But the other guys at the outing insisted. Who was I to say no?? :pimp:

bnrob.40yo.jpg

I was a little drunky when we ordered it, but I remember it being fruity but not over the top, with a finish that I can only describe as a perfect fade.

My favorite is Lagavulin, but Eagle recently turned me onto the Balvenie Caribbean Cask 14yr. Awesome stuff.

scotchy scotchy in my belly. I've tried and owned too many to list. Here is my list of must haves

Macallan 12yr - can't go wrong
Sheep Dip (blend) - very different but worth a try. My favorite on course (flask) scotch
Oban 14yr - it's like dew from the nipples of angels
Balvenie cask strength - beats a bad day....anyday
Laphroaig 18yr (personal favorite)
Talisker - I've come to love the Storm
Dalwhinnie - fresh out the freezer is one of life's pure joys.

on the list of must try are the following:

Something from Cambeltown region maybe the Kilkerran
Bunnahabhain
Something from the Lowlands. I've had my eye on Annandale
And I'd like to try an Independent like compass Box

Tried the Bunna 30 and it was best I've ever had, but not for $325, I got the 18 and it's just as tasty.[quote name='itchyfinger' timestamp='1388764644' post='8390641']
scotchy scotchy in my belly. I've tried and owned too many to list. Here is my list of must haves

Macallan 12yr - can't go wrong
Sheep Dip (blend) - very different but worth a try. My favorite on course (flask) scotch
Oban 14yr - it's like dew from the nipples of angels
Balvenie cask strength - beats a bad day....anyday
Laphroaig 18yr (personal favorite)
Talisker - I've come to love the Storm
Dalwhinnie - fresh out the freezer is one of life's pure joys.

on the list of must try are the following:

Something from Cambeltown region maybe the Kilkerran
Bunnahabhain
Something from the Lowlands. I've had my eye on Annandale
And I'd like to try an Independent like compass Box
[/quote]

My wife gave me a 1/2 gallon bottle of Johnny Walker Blue for my birthday last week.

I'm drinking right this minute.

Has a fancy leather case.

After I finish this first drink I'll switch to the JW Platinum my lawyer gave me.

After that I'll go to Black.

It's 9 degrees here...

SYard T388
TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
Miura CB-57 3-PW
Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 57C, 60K
Old Titleist Blade

[quote name='lumberman2462' timestamp='1388794113' post='8393553']
My wife gave me a 1/2 gallon bottle of Johnny Walker Blue for my birthday last week.

After I finish this first drink I'll switch to the JW Platinum my lawyer gave me.

It's 9 degrees here...
[/quote]

I like blended as well. Not sure if we are accepted here ; )

I like single malt but overall prefer the consistency and smooth qualities of a good blend (even if overall the experience is less complex) to the distinct characteristics of a single malt.

Johnny Black, rocks, splash of water. Boring, but dependable, nice buzz, no hangovers.

[quote name='bscinstnct' timestamp='1388809944' post='8395159']
[quote name='lumberman2462' timestamp='1388794113' post='8393553']

It's 9 degrees here...
[/quote]

I like blended as well. Not sure if we are accepted here ; )

I like single malt but overall prefer the consistency and smooth qualities of a good blend (even if overall the experience is less complex) to the distinct characteristics of a single malt.

Johnny Black, rocks, splash of water. Boring, but dependable, nice buzz, no hangovers.
[/quote]

Amen. Scotch can have as many malts as possible as long as my head doesn't hurt in the morning.

Ive had some expensive and rare Single Malts over the year. Mostly good stuff but have been surprised at how the first sip of some have just almost locked my jaw.

If I were a rich man I'd have a barrel of JW Blue in my house.

I know a guy that has a barrel of Woodford Reserve in his vacation home. $10,000.00 bucks. Woodford delivered it to Florida along with a crystal bottle so he could take his own bottle out on the town. The rich live differently that the rest of us.

SYard T388
TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
Miura CB-57 3-PW
Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 57C, 60K
Old Titleist Blade

[quote name='rabbit111' timestamp='1388841608' post='8396125']
So played 2 man Ambrose the other week and my partner got a "lone ranger" birdie, which means a round of scotches. Oban 14 yo. Awesome even if I had to buy!
[/quote]

i finally got to try Oban 14 yr this past holiday season. well well well. THAT was what all the fuss was about. very nice.

also, personal victory of note: i drank scotch neat for the first time... and liked it. :)
broke my neat cherry with the classic mccallan 12. yum.

re: blends vs. single malts... it's all about your preference. let's not turn this into a forged vs. cast vs. blade vs. cavity back type of thread. as long as it's scotch, and you enjoy it, cheers!

[size=2]except for dewars. friggin sewar water. everyone hates dewars! ;)[/size]

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

[quote name='eagle1997' timestamp='1389026203' post='8408241']
[quote name='rabbit111' timestamp='1388841608' post='8396125']
So played 2 man Ambrose the other week and my partner got a "lone ranger" birdie, which means a round of scotches. Oban 14 yo. Awesome even if I had to buy!
[/quote]

i finally got to try Oban 14 yr this past holiday season. well well well. THAT was what all the fuss was about. very nice.

also, personal victory of note: i drank scotch neat for the first time... and liked it. :)
broke my neat cherry with the classic mccallan 12. yum.

re: blends vs. single malts... it's all about your preference. [b]let's not turn this into a forged vs. cast vs. blade [/b]vs. cavity back type of thread. as long as it's scotch, and you enjoy it, cheers!

[size=2]except for dewars. friggin sewar water. everyone hates dewars! ;)[/size]
[/quote]

Ha! People will argue whether blend has the same nutty smoothness as single.

Dewars! My starter scotch. I was the first of my friends to start drinking scotch and had no frame of reference. Interestingly enough, it was a chick who was like "what are you drinking that crap for?" And thus, a Johnnie Walker Black drinker was born.

Now, I like any scotch. As long as it's good. I prefer blend but sometimes order a good single malt after dinner.

The only scotch I have drank, and you probably wouldn't even call it scotch cause it's a blend is Buchannon's blended Black & White scotch whiskey. It was Walt Disney's favored brand and his usual drink was a "Scotch Mist" with this brand. I have had it once inside Club 33 at Disneyland which was pretty special.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1356567583' post='6120165']
So can someone recommend me, a relative novice at this, some reasonable single malts? I'm trying to get into the scotch thing.

I have a Glenlivet 12 right now which i like.

At our liquor store near my place (the SAQ for you quebecers!) they stock the following that i think i've seen in there:

-Bowmore 12
-Glenfarclas 12
-Glenmorangie original 10
-Macallan 10 fine oak
-Balvenie double wood 12
-Aberlour 12

maybe a few others, but these are mostly between 50-70$ CAD....anyone want to recommend me one? I'm liking the GlenLivet 12 i have
[/quote]

Glenmorangie 10 is about as smooth/easy drinking single malt as you'll ever find. Tons of peach/citrus/pear notes in there. Fabulous for the price.

Balvenie 12 yr Double Wood is the Scotch that got me into the hobby. It's about as good a $55 as you can ever spend.

I highly recommend both.