SkyPro - really impressive

[quote name='davel' timestamp='1367594850' post='6964022']
[quote name='davel' timestamp='1367594773' post='6964018']
[quote name='nandler' timestamp='1367510030' post='6957949']
[quote name='Curlin' timestamp='1367507516' post='6957607']
I have an iPad but not iPhone. I know it says you can use iPad but all videos show iPhone. Would it be more difficult to use the iPad as far as collaboration?
[/quote]

Assuming you mean calibration, I have been using the mini-ipad and it's been fine. I would think it might be a little cumbersome to keep a full-sized ipad on the face of the club during calibration but I could be wrong.

Here is how you calibrate it. Hold the golf club between your left arm and body and hold the ipad flat on the face of the club. Then you rotate back and forth until it's calibrated. If you can keep the ipad flat on the face of the club then you should be good.
[/quote]

I assume you mean the back of the ipad and not the screen.

Dave
[/quote]
[/quote]

Yes you hold the back of the ipad/iphone against the face of the club to calibrate it.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone actually picked one of these up from Golfsmth recently? They are so bad at order processing, so I am just curious.

I just ordered one for in-store pick-up. It said it was in stock and available today at my store.

After 6 hours no "Ready for Pick-Up" email. I've seen this before, so I call the 800 number and they say the order is "weird" in their system and I should just call the store. so I call the store and they say none in stock. Great.

So I got mine yesterday its all charged and since I am super impatient I have it at the office just taking some partial swings to play around. The one thing I notice is there is no Face Angle at impact??? Am I missing something or is this really not something they display. To me that seems like a very important item to have and a huge oversight if it is not in here.

[quote name='jrasch' timestamp='1367605599' post='6965036']
So I got mine yesterday its all charged and since I am super impatient I have it at the office just taking some partial swings to play around. The one thing I notice is there is no Face Angle at impact??? Am I missing something or is this really not something they display. To me that seems like a very important item to have and a huge oversight if it is not in here.
[/quote]

I don't think it really is all that big of a deal compared to all the other info you get. I had a Swing Smart for awhile and while it gave you impact face angle it leaves a lot to be desired compared to the Sky Pro. One of the biggest differences is the point at which you stop your swing. When I was taking half swings with the Swing Smart it showed as a full swing when you looked at the 3D model. It did not measure * to parallel like Sky Pro does. This was a huge selling point for me and also the fact that I had 2 Swing Smarts, both broke, was promised a FREE one to try out and 6 months later still do not have what was promised to me by their rep.

[quote name='jrasch' timestamp='1367605599' post='6965036'] Face Angle at impact??? [/quote]
Wouldn't shaft angle be directly proportional to Face Angle ?
2 degree of shaft lean towards target for a 56 degree wedge is a 54 degree face angle ?
Shaft lean seems more valuable to me, non ?

Many Hands make Light Work. Many Eyes make Accurate Work. gWRX - the Greatest golf forum on the Internets :).

[quote name='SunkTheBirdie' timestamp='1367609094' post='6965470']
[quote name='jrasch' timestamp='1367605599' post='6965036'] Face Angle at impact??? [/quote]
Wouldn't shaft angle be directly proportional to Face Angle ?
2 degree of shaft lean towards target for a 56 degree wedge is a 54 degree face angle ?
Shaft lean seems more valuable to me, non ?
[/quote]

Maybe I am using the wrong terminology as I am new to getting this technical with my game.

But I am referring to if the club face is open or closed at impact and by how much to avoid slicing and hooking the ball. Can you calculate this from the shaftlean?

[quote name='jrasch' timestamp='1367609532' post='6965534']
But I am referring to if the club face is open or closed at impact and by how much to avoid slicing and hooking the ball. [/quote]
O I C
Not sure.

[quote]Can you calculate this from the shaft lean? [/quote]
Nope.

Many Hands make Light Work. Many Eyes make Accurate Work. gWRX - the Greatest golf forum on the Internets :).

[quote name='mckennwa' timestamp='1367604154' post='6964844']
Has anyone actually picked one of these up from Golfsmth recently? They are so bad at order processing, so I am just curious.

I just ordered one for in-store pick-up. It said it was in stock and available today at my store.

After 6 hours no "Ready for Pick-Up" email. I've seen this before, so I call the 800 number and they say the order is "weird" in their system and I should just call the store. so I call the store and they say none in stock. Great.
[/quote]

I ordered one last night and I know what you mean about weird on the web site. At a point where I had entered all the info and clicked next, instead of taking me to a screen that said something like "thanks for the order" or "order complete", up pops a screen that has nothing to do with ordering anything. After waiting for several minutes for the screen to update, I just closed everything out and went to bed. When I got on line this AM, I had a order confirmation email. It also stated DO NOT GO TO STORE FOR PICKUP UNTIL YOU RECEIVE THE READY TO PICK UP EMAIL. I received it shortly after the store opened so I headed on down and it was waiting for me when I got there. The sales rep said I got a good deal on it, and they just arrived yesterday. This was the Memphis TN store. Hope this info helps.

Callaway Mavrik Max 10.5°
Callaway XR 16 3 wood
Callaway Mavrik Max 3 thru 5 hybrids
Srixon z565 6 thru PW
48°, 52° & 58° Cleveland CBX wedges
Ping Sigma 2 Kushin C flat stick

All subject to change in the blink of an eye.........and I blink a lot.

I've just downloaded the app and to me it seems there's lots of data missing around impact. Surely you'd expect:

Face angle - deg open/closed (even if its relative to address)
Swing path - deg in/out (ditto)

Perhaps impact is tough to determine with potential fat shots skewing data. I think I'm gonna wait for the SB2 though. It's a shame as I was looking forward to this offering.

Yeah its definitely a bummer that it doesn't have face angle @ impact. I am having serious problems with my club face being open on impact so I'd love to groove that portion.

Newbie Q: Is return angle @ half down really that relevant? According to the app on the half back it should be around 30 - 40 degrees.. fair enough... but I assume on the downswing you probably wont be obtaining the same angle at the half way point right?

I reaaaallly wish there was angle at impact. Fat shots screw up the club speed at impact, thus it shouldnt affect the reasoning for no club face angle @ impact.

I'll be really interested to see how the club path is calculated for the visual representation. Is it always straight back away from the ball on the backswing and then the downswing is relative to that?

The SB2 uses the camera for calibration so presumably if you just picked the club up in front of you and then looped it and dropped it down it would register that? How would the skypro deal with that move?

I love the groove mode but would really like accurate club path data.

Anyone get weird readings with a lob wedge? First time I tried to use mine was indoors with some foam balls and a lob wedge. Data said my shaft lean at address was 2* backwards and my path was waaaay outside. Put it on a 9 iron and now it is reading how I know my swing looks, seen it on vid enough times. Inside takeaway and back over the top :D.

Also tried some Jug McSpaden swings and it was reading those accurately. Strange about the lob though.....

Anyone have trouble calibrating this stupid thing with their iPhone? When I get to the rotating step it keeps saying to make sure the skyPro is attached securely to the device and nothing happens. Also, sometimes during the previous step where you have to get the circle in the square the circle just doesn't move no matter how I turn the iPhone. Frustrating so far.

[quote name='AnthonyTX' timestamp='1367643033' post='6968308']
Mine seems to have broken apart somehow. I've only hit about 170 balls and it seems the white portion has ripped off the orange part. Going to try exchange it tomorrow.
[/quote]

LOL, that's funny because in their product guide they say clamp it down hard to the shaft and they promise it won't break. I tried everything possible to calibrate mine for an hour last night and the same problem: "skyPro not detected". Anyone else have this issue??

[quote name='swingnmiss' timestamp='1367675031' post='6969202']
LOL, that's funny because in their product guide they say clamp it down hard to the shaft and they promise it won't break. I tried everything possible to calibrate mine for an hour last night and the same problem: "skyPro not detected". Anyone else have this issue??
[/quote]

Sounds like you don't have the bluetooth connection. Did you go in to the iPhone's Settings and do the bluetooth pairing?

I received mine from pre-order, charged it, and used it for a few hours today. Mine hasn't had any of the connection issues you guys describe. Also calibration works fine and its quick! I am amazed at the device! I think it works phenomenal and compared to swingbyte(I have one), its much better, mostly because of the groove feature. There's nothing like instant feedback which groove gives you via sound. You can quickly dial in the right feel to achieve certain swing conditions. The fact it does not move on the shaft and the calibration makes it very accurate from what I could tell. I "grooved" many swings this morning working on backswing length, shaft lean at impact, etc... It really does what is advertises and within minutes I was grooving a better swing with better ball flights, that required less effort. It proves to me feel is not real as they say. A great training aid!

[quote name='AnthonyTX' timestamp='1367678066' post='6969368']
To clarify my connection problems were not related to Skypro and had to do with my phone itself. After I figured that out it connected like a champ.

I still really wish you could see club face angle at impact. That's so crucial
[/quote]

I wouldn't rule it out for the future. Just like Swingbyte, you know they'll be adding additional features in the future. Did you happen to click on Putter on the calibration screen? When you do it says this feature is not available yet, check back soon.

Okay after a bit more messing around, here's some more review. I tried it with an ipad 3. It works fine. It felt a little clumsy trying to calibrate the ipad against a club face, but none-the-less it worked fine! I feel because of calibrating, I am probably going to use my iPhone exclusively because its just easier to quickly calibrate a club. At least I know it will work with an iPad if needed,

After more swings, I started hearing a vibration on my shaft. I checked the tension in the shaft clamp, and that was fine. The noise was coming from the body of the Skypro coming loose from the mounting clamp itself. After further inspection, they come apart by design, probably for easy clamp replacement. One tiny screw removed and the whole clamp slides off the body. Mine was clearly lose. After I removed the clamp I noticed they had put a couple dabs of silicon when the two parts make contact (slide together), and the screw holds them from sliding apart. The silicon is a bad solution as it didn't bond well. Unfortunately you can tell the tolerances in manufacturing of the two parts that slide together are a little high. They could be a few more thousands of a inch bigger to fit snug so the single screw holds all together well. I simply wrapped two layers of Teflon plumbing tape around the slide, put the two pieces back together and replaced the screw. It's very snug now, and obviously the sensors will be more accurate too. This is a design flaw that I predict will haunt them on the first batch of production. You heard it here first.

I still love the device though, with the clamp snugged up, it really is very accurate. And very easy to use. You will get results!

EDIT: UPDATE: After about 75 more swings, I am noticing the screw i mentioned previously backs itself loose after every 25 swings or so which loosens the Sensor body to the clamp. I had to re-tighten it a bunch. I added some Thread lock on it to fix before putting Skypro away to charge... Shouldn't have to fix this thing already.... However, I still love it when the screw is tight and all is good. It will be interesting to see if others have this issue.

[quote name='mlmathews' timestamp='1367675692' post='6969240']
[/quote]

Sounds like you don't have the bluetooth connection. Did you go in to the iPhone's Settings and do the bluetooth pairing?
[/quote]

Yeah, it was paired, that wasn't the issue.

Ok, so I got out to the range today and tried out my SkyPro. Bottom line, my initial impression is that this thing is very buggy and I wonder what other issues they had that caused all the delays. Maybe I got a dud, or there is a generalized lack of quality control.

I used my iPhone 4 for everything.

Calibration:

I spent an hour last night trying to calibrate my skyPro inside my house but I was unable to. I ran into 2 problems: one was that when you are supposed to get the dot inside the square sometimes I would tilt my iPhone every which way but the dot would not move much. I would have to start the calibration again and the dot would then respond correctly when tilting the iPhone. The second problem was that when you rotate the club around your body it would always say that my skyPro was not detected and I should make sure it is connected to the shaft and not moving.

Today on the range I was able to calibrate the skyPro successfully relatively easily although I did encounter the problem where the dot would not move when trying to get it inside the square. I'm not sure why I couldn't get it calibrated indoors at home but maybe I'll try it again at home.

Battery life:

I charged the skyPro right out of the box and it took about 2.5 hours to fully charge. I charged it again fully before I went to bed last night. When I got to the range and started calibrating the device I noticed in the skyPro app it was showing that it only had about 50% battery left. I used the skyPro for about an hour max and put it away for a bit. Then I took it out again after about 30 minutes and it was dead. Seems odd as it doesn't seem to match up with what others have said. It shouldn't drain much if you're not using it so that's weird. I'll have to track the charge a few more times.

Build:

I unclamped the skyPro off my club and I noticed something fall off. Luckily I found it and it is that black rubber on the inside of the white clamp. I think it was glued on or something but the glue came off I guess. Also, the little travel case/charger doesn't seem to close as easily as I'd expect. Sometimes I have to kind of force it to close.

Data:

I have to figure out how to see all the other data it's collecting but upon initial analysis the swing plane didn't seem as accurate as I was expecting. I made some really shallow swings and it didn't show them as too shallow. I'm just getting the hang of how to use the software so I don't want to read too much into this yet.

I'm going to take it out some more and see if I decide to exchange it for another one or just return it altogether. Right now it's "meh" for me.

[quote name='swingnmiss' timestamp='1367698942' post='6970540']
[quote name='mlmathews' timestamp='1367675692' post='6969240']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Yeah, it was paired, that wasn't the issue.

Ok, so I got out to the range today and tried out my SkyPro. Bottom line, my initial impression is that this thing is very buggy and I wonder what other issues they had that caused all the delays. Maybe I got a dud, or there is a generalized lack of quality control.

I used my iPhone 4 for everything.

Calibration:

I spent an hour last night trying to calibrate my skyPro inside my house but I was unable to. I ran into 2 problems: one was that when you are supposed to get the dot inside the square sometimes I would tilt my iPhone every which way but the dot would not move much. I would have to start the calibration again and the dot would then respond correctly when tilting the iPhone. The second problem was that when you rotate the club around your body it would always say that my skyPro was not detected and I should make sure it is connected to the shaft and not moving.

Today on the range I was able to calibrate the skyPro successfully relatively easily although I did encounter the problem where the dot would not move when trying to get it inside the square. I'm not sure why I couldn't get it calibrated indoors at home but maybe I'll try it again at home.

Battery life:

I charged the skyPro right out of the box and it took about 2.5 hours to fully charge. I charged it again fully before I went to bed last night. When I got to the range and started calibrating the device I noticed in the skyPro app it was showing that it only had about 50% battery left. I used the skyPro for about an hour max and put it away for a bit. Then I took it out again after about 30 minutes and it was dead. Seems odd as it doesn't seem to match up with what others have said. It shouldn't drain much if you're not using it so that's weird. I'll have to track the charge a few more times.

Build:

I unclamped the skyPro off my club and I noticed something fall off. Luckily I found it and it is that black rubber on the inside of the white clamp. I think it was glued on or something but the glue came off I guess. Also, the little travel case/charger doesn't seem to close as easily as I'd expect. Sometimes I have to kind of force it to close.

Data:

I have to figure out how to see all the other data it's collecting but upon initial analysis the swing plane didn't seem as accurate as I was expecting. I made some really shallow swings and it didn't show them as too shallow. I'm just getting the hang of how to use the software so I don't want to read too much into this yet.

I'm going to take it out some more and see if I decide to exchange it for another one or just return it altogether. Right now it's "meh" for me.
[/quote]

Just an FYI for me, the swing plane is dead on. Have matched it with camera viewing down the line. Maybe an issue with calibration, since you had difficulty? Mine calibrates well and easily every time. If i could just keep the clamp from separating from the body, I'd be golden.

[quote name='jrasch' timestamp='1367605599' post='6965036']
[/quote]
I actually sent them a FB message about this; here is our convo

[color=#333333]Me - Thanks for the quick response. Two more questions - 1) Any reason why face angle at address and impact are not available? 2) Do you plan on making these available in the future?[/color]

SkyPro - [color=#333333]Good questions Scott. Other folks are showing this data, and like them we ARE in fact measuring it- just not displaying it yet. Why? A few reasons- one of which is that we wanted to focus on what our hardware is BEST at measuring. The sensors inside of SkyPro are no secret- and similar to others out there. We have an accelerometer and a gyroscope that measure the acceleration and rotation of you motion. The key there is "motion". While we can calculate position, the forte of our technology really is motion- which is part of the 9 current swing parameters we display. Secondly, we believe that in order to really help make the developing golfer better we needed to work with swing parameters that are manageable. That is to say- if I told you that your face angle was open at impact by 7 degrees- that's the outcome of the problem but that doesn't help you solve it. However, if I told you that you are taking your club too far inside on your downswing and that was resulting in a potential slice- that's an adjustment you can actually change in your swing. I hope that makes sense, it's tricky trying to describe this on Facebook haha.[/color]

[quote name='swingnmiss' timestamp='1367638531' post='6968070']
Anyone have trouble calibrating this stupid thing with their iPhone? When I get to the rotating step it keeps saying to make sure the skyPro is attached securely to the device and nothing happens. Also, sometimes during the previous step where you have to get the circle in the square the circle just doesn't move no matter how I turn the iPhone. Frustrating so far.
[/quote]

I had some issues when I tried to calibrate my driver but it tuned out to be a phone issue. I have abused the crap out of my phone so i am not surprised.

Time for my review -

I used this on Thursday for about 2 hours and logged about 150 swings. Plus and minus to when I tried it out was that the sun was in my eyes the whole time so I couldn't see a damn thing and was purely concentrating on what the device was telling me I was doing wrong.

First impressions are that this thing is awesome. I used it on my 7 iron first and loved all the data it gave me. It let me know about things I knew I was doing wrong (bringing the club to far inside) and things i didn't (to much shaft lean at address). And with grove mode it really allows me to focus on and fix one issue at a time and feel how it should feel when you do something correct. While I have no idea about the actual flight path, I did feel like i was making better contact more often.

Goove mode is by far my favorite feature of the device because it really allows you to drill down on a particular flaw. However, the one thing I dont like about grove mode is that you have to select a swing you already made to have it set a +- perimeter. For example, I was bringing my club 12* too far inside, if i selected that swing for groove mode it would put a + - 10* area around that swing. Obviously you don't want to bring the club 22* inside and have it register as okay so I purposely made swings straighter back until it registered that I brought the club 0* inside and then would use that swing for grove mode. (When I re-read this it sounds confusing so i apologize for that but its the best way I can explain it right now).

Once I got a swing I wanted to use for grove mode, it really was a wonderful and I think in the long run it's going to pay dividends. With that said, I played Bethpage Black yesterday and played like s***. Everything I worked on the other day went out the window but I mean not surprised given I only worked on it for 2 hours. At least i putted well lol.

The only issue I had with the device was that even after I calibrated it for a new club, it would sometimes still register my 4 iron as driver on the swing log. I sent them a message out this and got the following response -

SkyPro- [color=#333333]Ok thanks for the help. I think I've tracked the problem down. According to our code history, we fixed a bug two weeks ago that sometimes prevented new group headers from being made after a calibration. While the swing still uses the correct club in its calculations, it looks like it's using the wrong club because it's in the wrong group. I think this is what you're seeing.[/color]
[color=#333333]The good news: we've already submitted an update to the app that will fix this (among other improvements). The bad news is that we're still waiting on the Apple review process, which can take a week or two. It's not ideal, but if you're having problems in the meantime you can manually create a new section. To do this, scroll up past the top swing. There's a little bar at the top above all the swings, and if you type something in the right hand box it will make a new group.[/color]
[color=#333333]Hope that helps! Please let us know if there's anything else we can help with. We appreciate the feedback.[/color]

All in all I am really happy with it thus far. I am going to go to the driving range again this week and hopefully will see some real improvement with my ball flight.

[quote name='SunOfGolf' timestamp='1367681283' post='6969546']
This is a design flaw that I predict will haunt them on the first batch of production. You heard it here first.

I still love the device though, with the clamp snugged up, it really is very accurate. And very easy to use. You will get results!

[/quote]

Technically I mentioned it first :golfer:[size=4] [/size]