2013 Hot List balls, spin rate chart

dgn

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Love how the Wilson FG Tour X is right in the middle of the Pro V1 and Pro V1X, but ranks lower in the performance catagory...

TM Sim2 w/ Tensei CK White

TM Sim2 Titanium 15* w/ Diamana Kai'li
TM Sim2 3h w/ AXIVCore Green
TM P790 4i w/ HZRDUS Smoke
TM P7MC 5 - 8 w/ Project X LZ

TM P7MB 9 - PW w/ Project X LZ
TM MG 50 and 55 w/ Project X LZ

TM MG Hi-Toe 60 w/ Project X LZ
TM TP Balboa
TM TP5x Yellow

Thanks for posting this.

From the looks of it, any ball with a urethane cover will give you superior 1/2 wedge spin. Note the Maxfli U/2 is right there with every other urethane ball for spin.

So if dropping and stopping is your aim, pick up a urethane covered ball. They are available all the way down to around #20 per dozen.

Some of my takes on it.

$20 and under highlights:

Hex Diablo – actually had more half wedge spin and less driver spin than the more pricey Hex Hot (very similar numbers to the more expensive e6). – great value

Maxfli U2 – same wedge spin as tour balls. Downside was it had the most driver spin of any ball tested. Bad combo for a higher cap. Probably not very durable either. Poor mans e5?

Gamer – seemed to be big let down from prior versions as far as half wedge spin (brought up the rear there). Also had some of the higher driver spins of the Surlyn balls.

TM Superdeep and DT Solo – spin wise they are virtually identical to the Velocity, One Rzn, and E7 which are all higher priced. Good values

Duo – the lowest driver spin tested. – great for anyone spraying it off the tee. Poor man’s e6 for sure !!

$21-$36 highlights

Chrome and Chrome+ - as I see it this ball has to get top honors when based on the #’s alone (same wedge spin as the $36+ balls and had driver spin that beat many of the Surlyn balls. Sounds like the perfect ball hands down. I’d like to hear the cons from anyone who has been playing it. (perhaps, durability issues, no feel, etc….?)

RBZ Urethane – seems to pretty much play just like a Srixon Z Star and Nike 20X1 around the greens and off the tee and for $10 less. Kinda higher on the driver spin though. Touch better driver spin # than an e5.

NXT Tour S – Almost approaching Tour ball wedge spin (REALLY?...for a 2 pc surlyn….) I find that hard to believe. It actually had a touch more wedge spin than a urethane Volvik Vista tour ball. hmmm).

Q star – Wow big let down – No wedge spin and higher than most surlyn balls on driver spin. Totally opposite of what Srixon claims. I want to love this ball too...but the numbers just aren't there.

$36+ balls

All have comparable half wedge spin. So the only discernible difference I see is driver spin.

B330, Hex Black, and Lethal- Higher driver spin

Srixon’s, Maxfli and Nikes – Middle of the road driver spin

Titleist on the lower end of driver spin

Wilsons – very close proV1X and Chrome specs…great value especially on the cosmetic blems.

Ping G430 Max 10.5 Tensei Orange AV Raw 55 Reg

Ping G430 SFT 5w 19* Alta Black Reg

Ping G430 SFT 7w 23* Alta Black Reg

Tour Edge Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design G-Series Reg

Ping G425 6-UW Alta Slate Reg

Ping Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* DG Spinner

Cleveland Smart Sole C 4.0 

Ping 2023 Anser D

Handicap: 8.2

[quote name='erock9174' timestamp='1367933681' post='6985070']
$21-$36 highlights

Chrome and Chrome+ - as I see it this ball has to get top honors when based on the #'s alone (same wedge spin as the $36+ balls and had driver spin that beat many of the Surlyn balls. Sounds like the perfect ball hands down. I'd like to hear the cons from anyone who has been playing it. (perhaps, durability issues, no feel, etc….?)
[/quote]

Hi erock - I wrote what I think is a fairly detailed review on the Chrome+. You can see it here:

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/823855-callaway-hex-chrome-review/"]http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/823855-callaway-hex-chrome-review/[/url]

feel free to comment there if you have any questions. The post is a bit long, so the summary is this: The Chrome+ is a really solid offering from Callaway. It had good feel on all shots; not too firm, not too soft and none of the 'click' that I get from the Hex Black. I could work the ball both ways with my woods and irons and had drop and stop performance on the greens (though the greens were fairly firm). The 18 I played with it was pretty windy, so I can't comment on distance, but I certainly didn't feel like I lost anything with the chrome+. Durability was pretty good and better than my times playing the Hex Black. For me, the ball doesn't scream "I'm your favorite ball eva!" but I played just as well with it as will balls that cost $5 to $10 more per dozen, so next time I buy balls, I'll probably get the Chrome+.

Titleist TSR4, 7.25*, Aldila Rogue Black 95 MSI 70 S
Titleist TS3, 14.25*, Speeder VC 8.2 Tour Spec X
Titleist 818 H2 17*, Speeder VC 8.8 HB Tour Spec S
Mizuno MP H5, 3 iron, C Taper Lite X
Mizuno MP H5 (4&5), MP 5 (6-PW), DG X100 SSx1
Cleveland RTX6 54/12 (bent to 53*) Raw & 58/10 Black, DG Spinner
Piretti Potenza 1.5
Ball - Titleist AVX Yellow

Considering the 95mph swing speed, I'm not surprised to see the higher compression tour balls showing higher than expected driver spin. It's a great chart for most golfers. Higher swing speed players will likely see different results off the driver with some of those balls.

Mizuno ST190 9.5* w/Diamana ZF
Titleist 917 F2 18* w/Tensei Pro Blue
Titleist 818 H1 21* w/Tensei Pro Blue
Mizuno MP-18 Fli-Hi 4 w/C-Taper Lite
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 5-P w/C-Taper Lite
Mizuno s18 50*, 54*, 58* w/C-Taper Lite
Ping Sigma G Tess

Are there two different kind of Rocketballz? I find they don't spin worth anything with a wedge. I normally plays the NXT Tour S but switched to Rocketballz when it the courses were soaked this spring.. once it dried out, I can't count how many times the RBZ bounced over the green with a wedge.

BTW, I'm VERY disappointed that they don't include carry distance and landing angle with their robot testing. Love to see an independant lab do this.

Not sure what to think on the QStar wonder if they used 2013 or old ball. All I know is that it spins more for me around the green and have had no problems holding the green on half shots in. In my last 6 rounds playing with this ball the ball has hopped and stopped for me and on a few occasions the ball has spun back.

I have decided to stopped paying attention to articles like this and go with how a product performs for me.

I see 2 reasons lots of Pro's play the Pro V1X. It doesn't spin a lot off the driver, but it spins with the wedge. I tried the RXS 330 last year and it just didn't spin enough for me on wedge shots. I'm going to see if I can find this test in last years mag. and if it shows the RXS 330 up there with the higher spin balls I'm going to have a hard time with any of these results. Just m2cents.

[quote name='newjedi' timestamp='1367958513' post='6987432']
Not sure what to think on the QStar wonder if they used 2013 or old ball. All I know is that it spins more for me around the green and have had no problems holding the green on half shots in. In my last 6 rounds playing with this ball the ball has hopped and stopped for me and on a few occasions the ball has spun back.

I have decided to stopped paying attention to articles like this and go with how a product performs for me.
[/quote]You nailed it Brother.

[quote name='UTvols83' timestamp='1367942672' post='6985924']
Considering the 95mph swing speed, I'm not surprised to see the higher compression tour balls showing higher than expected driver spin. It's a great chart for most golfers. Higher swing speed players will likely see different results off the driver with some of those balls.
[/quote]

Very different results. I wish they did testing for multiple Swing sppeds. Maybe 95mph and 110 mph.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

[quote name='clwehring' timestamp='1367958999' post='6987480']
To me, it looks like the Chrome and Chrome+ are lookin like the best value. They look like a great combination of wedge spin and low driver spin!
[/quote]You should also take into consideration how the ball feels, distance, and durability. And also, cost and whether you are playing the right ball that fits your ability.

[quote name='bigbutch' timestamp='1368017431' post='6991008']
To me, it looks like the Chrome and Chrome+ are lookin like the best value. They look like a great combination of wedge spin and low driver spin!
[/quote]You should also take into consideration how the ball feels, distance, and durability. And also, cost and whether you are playing the right ball that fits your ability.
[/quote]

I'll give you cost, durability and feel but distance not no sure. Every robot test I've seen all balls were within 3 yds of one another. Also this season I've played the e6, both 2013 proV's, Hex Hot, Superdeep, and Srixon z star SL. A good drive produces roughly the same yardage no matter the ball for me. Slightly off center hit and I lose about 20 yds.

If anything weather to me has the biggest effect. Colder soggy conditions at best I hit the ball 210-215. Warmer firmer conditions I am seeing upwards of 230+. But once again not ball related.

Ping G430 Max 10.5 Tensei Orange AV Raw 55 Reg

Ping G430 SFT 5w 19* Alta Black Reg

Ping G430 SFT 7w 23* Alta Black Reg

Tour Edge Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design G-Series Reg

Ping G425 6-UW Alta Slate Reg

Ping Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* DG Spinner

Cleveland Smart Sole C 4.0 

Ping 2023 Anser D

Handicap: 8.2

[quote name='360_CS' timestamp='1367912540' post='6984264']
Yea looks like the Chrome and the Rocketballz are good value.

Does the V1X have more greenside spin than the V1? I thought it was the other way round.
[/quote]

+1

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s

T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='bigbutch' timestamp='1368017431' post='6991008']
[/quote]

Well, I was looking for a soft feel, and the Chrome has that. It is exactly what I'm looking for.

As a fairly loyal Bridgestone e6 player, I was really surprised by the Callaway offerings and where they placed on the chart. I'm definitely going to be giving them a shot, but when you can find e6's for $22/dozen, they're really hard to beat.

Perhaps the $3 Chrome is the perfect bridge between the $2 e6's and the $4 ProV's.

A few players have recently switched balls. RF changed to regular prov after being x guy his entire PGA career. The article mentions is spins less off driver for him! Second, two gloves switched to the chrome + due to various performance enhancements for his game. I don't think the chrome + is inexpensive though at $35 a dozen.

"We have learned that we must
live as men, not as ostriches, nor
as dogs in the manger." FDR

I love the chrome BUT they are a bit clunky. Better in the wind and longer than the v1 or v1x, BUT they just don't have that short game feel. It seems like the dimple design, while good in the wind, makes the ball clunky. You know that chip or pitch shot where you pitch it just right, and it feels like butter coming off the club? The chrome can't do that.

stealth 2 plus, 10.5 Titleist 6x tr blue

Cobra 4 iron 
G425 5 and 7 woods red ventus 90x

Tsi2 3 wood RDX black x

PXG 0311xp 5-gw, 0211 G,SW,LW  Wilson ci11 w/ ctaper 130x

Titleist sm9 s400 56,60
2ball blade
Titleist v1x

(Just had a shoulder replaced and I am buying clubs for my fantasy bag).

[quote name='cavemeister' timestamp='1368067777' post='6996636']
I love the chrome BUT they are a bit clunky. Better in the wind and longer than the v1 or v1x, BUT they just don't have that short game feel. It seems like the dimple design, while good in the wind, makes the ball clunky. You know that chip or pitch shot where you pitch it just right, and it feels like butter coming off the club? The chrome can't do that.
[/quote]

I haven't tried the original chrome, but I would consider saying the chrome+ is like buttah on chip shots.

Titleist TSR4, 7.25*, Aldila Rogue Black 95 MSI 70 S
Titleist TS3, 14.25*, Speeder VC 8.2 Tour Spec X
Titleist 818 H2 17*, Speeder VC 8.8 HB Tour Spec S
Mizuno MP H5, 3 iron, C Taper Lite X
Mizuno MP H5 (4&5), MP 5 (6-PW), DG X100 SSx1
Cleveland RTX6 54/12 (bent to 53*) Raw & 58/10 Black, DG Spinner
Piretti Potenza 1.5
Ball - Titleist AVX Yellow

[quote name='dgn' timestamp='1368045064' post='6994266']
I'll be playing with the '13 version of the Pro V1x for the first time this weekend. If it's even slightly better than the previous version I can't imaging getting better results from another ball. Though I'll probably need more hours at work to pay for them :swoon2: !
[/quote]

I've stayed with the Srixon XV since it came out, mostly because my non-conforming Vokeys were murder on the ProV1x for anything more than 1/2 a shot. But I played the 2013 version of the V1x for five rounds over a long weekend a few days ago, and just loved it. I putted really well with it, like it off the tee, maybe get a little more height on my irons (hard to tell, since I hit if fairly high anyway), and while I lost some paint on 2/3 or more of a shot with the Vokeys, the ball didn't gill open the way it used to.

I'm sold - it's my new ball. And yes, it WILL cost me more to play it - I'll get over it. :happy:

Cobra Bio Cell 9.5, Oban Kiyoshi Stiff
Adams F11 Ti 15 degree, VooDoo 70gr. Stiff
Tour Edge Exotics 18 degree hybrid, Aldila NV Stiff
Titleist 910F 21, set to 22 degrees, Diamana Kai'li Stiff
Ping i20 5-P, CFS Stiff
Vokey TVD-K 56 (bent to 55), TVD-K 60, S300
TaylorMade Spider Blade 38"