If you were to buy a house in retirement where would it be?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be up north for the summer months as well, which is why I have serious doubts about owning a winter home anywhere. I plan on renting until I find the right place, and even then, buying doesn't make economic sense until you get to a certain number of months per year you wish to be in the warmer climate.

FORE RIGHT!!!!

Since you're married, I'd recommend the Villages. My aunt and uncle had a place there and I visited several times. "Free" (there's an annual fee for your cart) golf for life on the "executive" courses (mostly par 3), which is actually pretty fun. Also, some nice championship courses. Bottom line is you have plenty of options.

Do they have a grass range hitting real (not floater) balls down there yet? That would be nice. Last time I was there all of the ranges used floaters, which....meh.

If you were single, I'd say to avoid it. The STD rate in the villages is....astronomical. Almost comically so.

Other than that, I love it there. Now to convince my better half. Hopefully I'm out in 20 years...maybe more like 25.

[quote name='minitour' timestamp='1367438149' post='6952805']
Since you're married, I'd recommend the Villages. My aunt and uncle had a place there and I visited several times. "Free" (there's an annual fee for your cart) golf for life on the "executive" courses (mostly par 3), which is actually pretty fun. Also, some nice championship courses. Bottom line is you have plenty of options.

Do they have a grass range hitting real (not floater) balls down there yet? That would be nice. Last time I was there all of the ranges used floaters, which....meh.

If you were single, I'd say to avoid it. The STD rate in the villages is....astronomical. Almost comically so.

Other than that, I love it there. Now to convince my better half. Hopefully I'm out in 20 years...maybe more like 25.
[/quote]

Was just there, and I have to admit, the paucity of ranges is something I can't understand. The Palmer course has one, but it's "mats only"...we went off the grounds into Lady Lake, nearby, and found a huge range, and it too was "mats only"...

As far as the STD rate, I think that's urban myth. But if you have evidence to substantiate that assertion, please post it.

The wives, who are not golfers, were very comfortable on the par 3s in the evening. It was a blast. No pressure to play fast. A great learning environment for those taking the game up, or just a nice place to enjoy the evening, in a golf cart. with a cocktail, and have some giggles. The par 3 golf with the wives was really fun.
I was out in the cart towards dusk, and saw a guy by himself on an "executive" course, no crowds, just enjoying that sublime pleasure of chipping and putting to a green as the sun sets. I was envious, I must admit.

FORE RIGHT!!!!

I'm a New Yorker living in Chicago and I am living the "Sandwich Generation". I am blessed to have Dad (90), Mom(86) and Mother-In-Law(85) with all their faculties along with extended family back east and a 21 year old in college in the Midwest. We are looking at Georgia, Maryland/Virginia and Carolina area. I am just wondering why the Georgia and Maryland areas are not mentioned very much.. Thanks

Georgia doesn't get recognized much because our coast is very short and most of the good golfing along the coast is private and relatively expensive.

Savannah: The Landings has 5 or 6 very nice courses. It is a large gated community off the coast. The city can be dangerous but I think that can be over blown. And I would disagree with the prior posting saying the restaurant community is limited. It is good and getting better. I do agree it is a port city, but so is Charleston. FWIW charleston is a more refined city with better restaurants.

Sea island. Not much to say here. Awesome really awesome but very expensive.

Not much between Sav and SEI. FYI. I grew up in savannah. A good place to grow up, probably a good place to retire to, but not a great place to be a young professional.

913 D3 RIP Phenom
Hybrid 15* XTD; A12 19*, Sonartec 23*
Callaway X-20 Tour 4-PW
Titleist Oil Can Vokey 52* & 56*
Cleveland 60*
Odyssey Dual Force

CA is expensive, but that is my choice. My primary home is in Chicago but I purchased a second home in the SF/Bay Area. There is so much to do here, so many golf courses, cultural events, sights to see, etc. And while I like Chicago, the winters are too long for my liking and it is no tax haven either. Another area I like a lot is North Carolina.

What Is and What Should Never Be

Keep em coming! we're going to kiawah/Charleston i think late in the summer and will poke around.

California has everything going for it but the cost.
Arizona has a lot going for it but no ocean and a lot of future water worries for me.
North Carolina might work near the coast, but the wifey likes a bigger city.
South Carolina we shall see
Florida seems interesting and unexplored with regard to the panhandle for sure.

[quote name='jnradioactive' timestamp='1367795685' post='6975694']
Whatever happened to The Cliffs? They used to advert heavily in golf magazines even a few tv spots, was supposed to be home to the 1st "designed by Tiger" course in the U.S etc... Then nothing, not a peep, they still solvent or did they fall on hardtimes?
[/quote]

Not familiar with it. Where is it?

FORE RIGHT!!!!

[quote name='Lodestone' timestamp='1367800058' post='6976092']
Whatever happened to The Cliffs? They used to advert heavily in golf magazines even a few tv spots, was supposed to be home to the 1st "designed by Tiger" course in the U.S etc... Then nothing, not a peep, they still solvent or did they fall on hardtimes?
[/quote]

[/quote]

In the Carolina mountain area, south west NC, north west SC I think, 7 or 8 communities spread out in the area. Membership in one was supposed to give you rights to play all. Cliffs at Glassy, Clifffs at Keowee falls etc.... Think the glassy course once made GD top 100 you can play or one of those lists

[quote name='jnradioactive' timestamp='1367801735' post='6976288']
[/quote]

[/quote]

In the Carolina mountain area, south west NC, north west SC I think, 7 or 8 communities spread out in the area. Membership in one was supposed to give you rights to play all. Cliffs at Glassy, Clifffs at Keowee falls etc.... Think the glassy course once made GD top 100 you can play or one of those lists
[/quote]
I was just out at Lake Keowee last weekend. Like most (if not all) golf communities built around the turn of the century the financial vision didn't turn out as planned with the Cliffs. That being said the courses that are in place are still doing well. The plan for the Tiger course is on hold. There are still houses and plots of land that are being sold, compared to the initial offering prices there are some great bargains.

[quote name='act0fgod' timestamp='1367817979' post='6977740']
[quote name='jnradioactive' timestamp='1367801735' post='6976288']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
I was just out at Lake Keowee last weekend. Like most (if not all) golf communities built around the turn of the century the financial vision didn't turn out as planned with the Cliffs. That being said the courses that are in place are still doing well. The plan for the Tiger course is on hold. There are still houses and plots of land that are being sold, compared to the initial offering prices there are some great bargains.
[/quote]

Would you know if the summertime weather there is tolerable?

[quote name='golfquest' timestamp='1367768103' post='6973930']
I'm a New Yorker living in Chicago and I am living the "Sandwich Generation". I am blessed to have Dad (90), Mom(86) and Mother-In-Law(85) with all their faculties along with extended family back east and a 21 year old in college in the Midwest. We are looking at Georgia, Maryland/Virginia and Carolina area. I am just wondering why the Georgia and Maryland areas are not mentioned very much.. Thanks
[/quote]

I live in the Washington DC area now. Maryland would be out because it the weather is not going to be good enough in the oct-april time frame. Plus it is probably really $$$$$ and there are some traffic issues. The benefit is proximity to Washington DC, but the detractors are going to outweigh the benefits. Same with Deleware and the New Jersey coast.

Family, business, medical care, safety, and being part of a community are a major concerns when thinking about going overseas. Sure it's great thinking about spending a couple months in NZ, Australia, Portugal, Thailand, Vietnam, the Bahamas, Costa Rica, etc, but full time not so much. There are many excellent places to live in the US that are cheaper than living in LA/SF, DC/NY/Boston, Chicago, etc that we can find relative housing bargains in lots of great places here.

My first pick is a relatively cold weather area in central Idaho and it's an outdoorsmen's paradise. It's not dirt cheap but cheap enough and once ski season is done it leaves about a 2 month period to travel and hit a beach somewhere.

[quote name='retep' timestamp='1367795251' post='6975644']
Keep em coming! we're going to kiawah/Charleston i think late in the summer and will poke around.

Arizona has a lot going for it but no ocean and a lot of future water worries for me.
[/quote]

Any specific area in North Carolina?

Wilmington? C
[quote name='golfquest' timestamp='1367891772' post='6983060']

[/quote]

[/quote]

I'm thinking Wilmington... Need to get there and spend a week and see. We want a city of some size and there is a university there and the coast. That beats out Pinehurst which i think would be too rural.

[quote name='retep' timestamp='1367930006' post='6984764']
Wilmington? C

[/quote]

[/quote]

I'm thinking Wilmington... Need to get there and spend a week and see. We want a city of some size and there is a university there and the coast. That beats out Pinehurst which i think would be too rural.
[/quote]

What is your opinion of Charlotte?

[quote name='golfquest' timestamp='1368071704' post='6997012']
[quote name='retep' timestamp='1367930006' post='6984764']
Wilmington? C

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

What is your opinion of Charlotte?
[/quote]

Nice if you are looking for a larger city. Check out the Lake Norman area. Several nice courses and plenty of things to do plus you are outside the city. Not my cup of tea for a retirement location since I adore the coast

I think I'll stay where I am.

Unlimited golf all year on 3 links courses (2 of which are Championship standard) for just over $1k per annum.

6 Major Championship golf courses within 100 miles. These courses hold 3 Major Championships every 5 years or so plus there's another 2 Tour events per year within 75 miles plus the odd Ryder Cup.

But yes, it is a little cold, windy and rainy - but these elements only make for a better test of golf on the links.

[quote name='retep' timestamp='1362527467' post='6554247']
Thanks, a lot of good info and things to think about that you put in there... Keep em coming!
No one said anything about Oregon or up that-a-way.
[/quote]

There's a reason for that. You would be so flipping miserable here you'd grab a gun and one-time it. Seriously, there are 4 good months out of the year, the courses are excellent for those months. The rest seem to be filled with a pathetic grey haze and a constant threat of rain.

DO NOT consider the Pacific Northwest for retirement in any capacity unless you are from here, have family here or plan or like damp weather.

For my money, the Monterey, CA area can't be beat. Year-round golf, a hundred amazing options to choose from and...wait, yeah, it's a little $$$. Paradise is what it is my friend. Best golf courses I've ever played have been within a 50 mile stretch of SF to Monterey, and while there might be a comparison in the SE or some of the high level CC's on the PGA - you can't top the weather or the options of California. Unfortunately you can't beat the taxes or the insanely high cost of living either.

If you want to retire to the PNW you must be mufti-faceted to take advantage of the myriad of recreational opportunities and have the ability to get to sunny. warm climes in April and May. It's a reasonable drive to Baja, MX, or flight to Hawaii. If you're a true outdoors man the place can't be beat. And if you go east of the cascades you get in a rain shadow and it dries up considerably.