QMany's Swing/Sticks (KS Mid-Am Team Champion p. 125)

QMany

[quote name='tembolo1284' timestamp='1368818378' post='7055230']
Did you notice you reverted back to something you didn't like? Anything like that?

What were your misses? Give us the juicy details sir!
[/quote]
I had one or two straight pushes with irons. Not too far off line. Did have 3-4 pulls. Just reverting back go long right arm and high right shoulder. Did drive the ball better than I have in a while. Miss with driver is a murdered push that goes a mile.

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

[quote name='tembolo1284' timestamp='1368818378' post='7055230']
Nice! How about talking a little about what your feels were out there.

Did you notice you reverted back to something you didn't like? Anything like that?

What were your misses? Give us the juicy details sir!
[/quote]

I love how Tembolo has taken the role of on course reporter with the questions and back story of how his new swing is day to day. Love it lol.

G400 9* Motore Speeder 7.2 TS
G400 14.5* Ping Tour 70s
G400 17* Fuji Fuel 80s
iBlade 3-9 Nippon Modus 3 105x
Glide 2.0 STEALTH 46*, 52* 58*
Ping Vault 2.0 ZB

"Closing" the face by having the back of the right hand facing me at that same position in the video straightened out my driver woes. Went from extreme toe hits and low hooks to a slight pull fade. I felt I could go at it hard all at once without any part of my body stalling to allow other parts to catch up. I had tried to fix my driver swing by setting up off the heel, which used to work , but not this time.

Having the "closed" face didn't improve my irons, which lead to pulls. My normal iron swing is decent but needs improvement. Although the bent back right wrist, and its relationship to the right shoulder and right elbow positions and synchronization of sequencing is worth further investigation.

[quote name='midweston' timestamp='1368922476' post='7061276']
I too am excited to follow your progress, especially as a fellow show me stater. Where is the qualifier? What is the number you want to shoot?
[/quote]
I'm originally from Nebraska and Kansas. Does living here 9 months already make me a Show Me stater? Damn. Hahah

Qualifier is at Jefferson City CC. I had a student membership there two years ago when I clerked in town. I've probably played it 50 times. I know the greens and layout very well.

I think 77 gets you through qualifying and on to KC. If I strike the ball well, I think I have a 74-75 in me at this course. If I dont strike it well, I'll be around 80. My goal is qualify, and anything past that would be a pleasant surprise.

Taylormade TP5

I have been working on feeling more closed. I was fighting pulls and couldn't understand why. After looking at it on video, lv_2_hack could easily see I was dragging the handle through the zone and swinging "too far left." Dan had him do a bunch of slow motion work, and lv_2_hack wanted me to do the same.

I was working on feeling "closed," the drop and maintaining the distance between hands and shoulder, and then was working on the exit and feeling more DTL.

Here is a slow motion 7i:
[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7vJLeJDmDo"]https://www.youtube....h?v=L7vJLeJDmDo[/url]

I HATE slow motion work. HATE. But after seeing these images, I had to believe a little more:
[attachment=1689794:image.jpg]
[attachment=1689798:image.jpg]
[attachment=1689800:image.jpg]
[attachment=1689802:image.jpg]
[attachment=1689804:image.jpg]

Taylormade TP5

[quote name='QMany' timestamp='1369016804' post='7066580']
I have been working on feeling more closed. I was fighting pulls and couldn't understand why. After looking at it on video, lv_2_hack could easily see I was dragging the handle through the zone and swinging "too far left." Dan had him do a bunch of slow motion work, and lv_2_hack wanted me to do the same.

I was working on feeling "closed," the drop and maintaining the distance between hands and shoulder, and then was working on the exit and feeling more DTL.

Here is a slow motion 7i:
[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7vJLeJDmDo"]https://www.youtube....h?v=L7vJLeJDmDo[/url]

I HATE slow motion work. HATE. But after seeing these images, I had to believe a little more:
[/quote]

looks pretty solid. I've never done that. Do you find it difficult to make solid contact?

[quote name='tembolo1284' timestamp='1369017689' post='7066670']
haha qmany you look so uncomfy doing it! Keep it up though. Helps a lot! Looking good man!
[/quote]
It is awful! I hate doing slow motion.
I felt like I was doing better and I was just dragging the handle and pulling the sh*t out of everything. That is a scary miss when you are trying to make your R hand more bent and closed.

Taylormade TP5

[quote name='tembolo1284' timestamp='1369054944' post='7068010']
How's it going sir?
[/quote]
An update just for Tembolina.

This Thursday is my first experience with Intercity. Four clubs in middle-Missouri, 12 per team (9+3 seniors). We play each of the club's courses. This Thursday it starts at my home course. It is modified scoring, and I'm still trying to get it down since it's like nothing I've done before. Players on each team are seeded, and then each foursome has player from each squad. Scoring is done per hole. You get one point for beating someone in the foursome and a half-point for tying. For example, if I par a hole and the other guys go birdie, par, bogey, I would receive 1.5 points.

Then this weekend, I am headed down to OKC to kick it with Lv_2_hack and practice at Oak Tree National. We are going to play this really fun game where he video tapes me and shows me how bad my swing is. :lol:

I'll get back in town after the holiday weekend and then have three days of practice before the state amateur qualifier. I am going to go through some of the holes later this week, so I might post a little synopsis and strategy for the round.

Taylormade TP5

[quote name='QMany' timestamp='1369067067' post='7069330']
[quote name='tembolo1284' timestamp='1369054944' post='7068010']
How's it going sir?
[/quote]
An update just for Tembolina.

This Thursday is my first experience with Intercity. Four clubs in middle-Missouri, 12 per team (9+3 seniors). We play each of the club's courses. This Thursday it starts at my home course. It is modified scoring, and I'm still trying to get it down since it's like nothing I've done before. Players on each team are seeded, and then each foursome has player from each squad. Scoring is done per hole. You get one point for beating someone in the foursome and a half-point for tying. For example, if I par a hole and the other guys go birdie, par, bogey, I would receive 1.5 points.

Then this weekend, I am headed down to OKC to kick it with Lv_2_hack and practice at Oak Tree National. We are going to play this really fun game where he video tapes me and shows me how bad my swing is. :lol:

I'll get back in town after the holiday weekend and then have three days of practice before the state amateur qualifier. I am going to go through some of the holes later this week, so I might post a little synopsis and strategy for the round.
[/quote]

You playing Oak Tree? Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice!

Let me know what you shoot there!

When do I get invited?

Wishon 919 THI 11* 0.5* Open
Wishon 929 HS 14.5*, 19* 0.5 Open
Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*
Wishon 5, 6 560 MC 7-PW MMC MB
Wishon 54, 59 Micro-Groove HM
All shafts are S2S Stepless Steel Wishon

[quote name='tembolo1284' timestamp='1369067375' post='7069370']

When do I get invited?
[/quote]
Not playing, probably practicing.
I'm not paying that ridiculous guest fee to let Pete Dye have his way with me and not even buy me dinner before.

Taylormade TP5

[quote name='QMany' timestamp='1369067833' post='7069442']
[quote name='tembolo1284' timestamp='1369067375' post='7069370']

When do I get invited?
[/quote]
Not playing, probably practicing.
I'm not paying that ridiculous guest fee to let Pete Dye have his way with me and not even buy me dinner before.
[/quote]

What's the guest fee? I'd totally pay it.

Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*

Just looked at the course where the qualifier is on Google Maps. I'd played it 50+ times from the Blue tees, but rarely from the tips. From Blue, it is a lot of hybrid off of the tee, which I hit well. From the tips, it looks like a lot of 3W off the tee, which I don't hit well, to avoid bunkers, getting squeezed, etc. It will play 7,117 and I will probably only hit driver 5-6 times. Guess what we're working on this weekend, Lv_2_hack?

Also, NONE of the par fives will be reasonably reachable.

Taylormade TP5

[quote name='QMany' timestamp='1369075162' post='7070302']
Just looked at the course where the qualifier is on Google Maps. I'd played it 50+ times from the Blue tees, but rarely from the tips. From Blue, it is a lot of hybrid off of the tee, which I hit well. From the tips, it looks like a lot of 3W off the tee, which I don't hit well, to avoid bunkers, getting squeezed, etc. It will play 7,117 and I will probably only hit driver 5-6 times. Guess what we're working on this weekend, Lv_2_hack?

[/quote]

What will you be working on? Out with it!

Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*

[quote name='tembolo1284' timestamp='1369075428' post='7070330']
[/quote]

From the tips, it looks like a lot of 3W off the tee, which I don't hit well...
[/quote]

Taylormade TP5

[quote name='QMany' timestamp='1369075601' post='7070356']
[quote name='tembolo1284' timestamp='1369075428' post='7070330']
[/quote]

From the tips, it looks like a lot of 3W off the tee, which I don't hit well...
[/quote]
[/quote]

So you'll work on 'hitting the 3W well-ier'? How? Details baby details!

Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*

Just got done with my first Intercity experience. I didn't know how big of deal it is around here. Someone said it's the 102nd year they've done this. It was really fun. Pretty much the top nine guys, three seniors, and the pro from each club. Seeded and you play the same seeds from the other clubs.

I got there to see I was #3 on our squad. I was a little surprised, angry, scared, nervous, etc. I got off too a pretty good start and played well. I had a little bogey train on the back, 5 straight. Ended up shooting 78, second in our foursome of #3 seeds.

The top group would have been fun to watch. Our squad had a kid who plays at SMU, while another squad had Lucas Black. Yeah, Seven Days in Utopia, Lucas Black. They went 71-72. That is a testament to how hard the course was playing. 7 shots off of an SMU golfer and the Seven Days in Utopia guy, I'll take it!

EDIT: Lucas Black wore baby-blue knickers.

Taylormade TP5

[/quote]

You will be surprised by how short they play the qualifier. I think they shoot for like 6700 yards. It likely will not be the tips.

[quote name='CallawayLefty' timestamp='1369398056' post='7097810']

[/quote]
You will be surprised by how short they play the qualifier. I think they shoot for like 6700 yards. It likely will not be the tips.
[/quote]
I talked to a few people at Intercity last night and they said the same. That surprised me.

One of the guys I was paired with has qualified the last six times he tried. He beat me by 4, all on the back when I had my bogey train. It was a good gauge. Being my first amateur event, I was a little nervous about being competitive next week. I have a much better feeling about it now, understanding that I am not out of my league.

Taylormade TP5

During the round, a few of the guys I was playing with talked to me about my swing and my game. They were astonished that I only picked up the game four years ago. One of them was a 20-year PGA club professional and had a great line. "It is great that you were an athlete before picking up the game. It is really hard to make a thoroughbred out of a jackass."

Taylormade TP5

[quote name='QMany' timestamp='1369402698' post='7098220']
During the round, a few of the guys I was playing with talked to me about my swing and my game. They were astonished that I only picked up the game four years ago. One of them was a 20-year PGA club professional and had a great line. "It is great that you were an athlete before picking up the game. It is really hard to make a thoroughbred out of a jackass."
[/quote]

Was your best tip swinging 7 iron 50 to 60 yrds when you make swing changes?

[/quote]

Sometimes I feel embarrassed telling people I've been playing for 31 years. Maybe I will say 4 years, I like the sound of that better. :)

Your doing a great Job..I'm happy for your success

[quote name='Chris Peterich' timestamp='1369403702' post='7098306']
[/quote]
Was your best tip swinging 7 iron 50 to 60 yrds when you make swing changes?
[/quote]
It was a great tip. I had heard of doing slow motion before, but I'd never gave it serious thought. Lv_2_hack really convinced me. He wanted me to exaggerate all of my feels. It was sooooooo hard to do at first. Obviously, seeing my awkward movement doing it, it still isn't easy for me. It really has helped though. Just doing it and seeing it on video is invaluable.

I actually have been kind of warming up with it. The other day I started with slow motion wedges and built up to full swings. Then I did slow motion 7i and built up to full swings. It really helped. I did that again last night before the tournament. I haven't done it with anything longer than 7i yet.

Taylormade TP5