Where would you play in Mid-August?

So, the title begs the question...The answer. My buddy and I are getting a pass from our wives to take a break from babies and the daily grind to go on a golf trip. As I respect the opinion of most guys on here I wanted to see if your knowledge could help us out.

Facts:

- We live in Minnesota

- Flights need to be in the CONUS

- Looking for descent scenery

- Trip will be 3 days 2 nights

- NOT looking for stay and play packages. Hotels and flight will be covered via hotel/flight points etc...

- Looking to pay roughly $70-120/round and golf up to 5 times in a great golf destination with some fun courses. Munis are allowed. (can't afford any outragous greens fees at this point in our lives)

If this post ends up being abust I will close it up. I'll rely on my buddy to keep it rolling for a few days as I am headed up to the boundary waters for a little canoeing/camping. (aka, no way to check my WRX post)

Thanks in advance for your destination and course reccomendations. Feel free to offer up a few places!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seattle Area might be a good pick. August is probably the best month for weather here.
Lots of great food and mid price range golf.

Rogue ST Max LS Oban Devotion 6/03 10.5, -1* @45.25" 

Paradym 3HL  Kai’li 60 R
Ping G410 19*,  22* & 26* Riptide CB 80 5.5
Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-AW, SF i80cw R,  Or Cobra Forged Tec Black 6-GW, SF i95cw R   
PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

Thanks to you guys who have responded! I am the other one who gets to join Venny on this trip... needless to say its VERY exciting.

So for those that have responded, can you guys make some recommendations as to which courses and why you picked the area? I agree mountains would be great, Seattle sounds swell too. I know little about Montana golf so any info is provided.

Thanks again!

Thanks to you guys who have responded! I am the other one who gets to join Venny on this trip... needless to say its VERY exciting.

So for those that have responded, can you guys make some recommendations as to which courses and why you picked the area? I agree mountains would be great, Seattle sounds swell too. I know little about Montana golf so any info is provided.

Thanks again!

San Diego! Reasonable temps and no bugs. Vistor rate at Torrey Pines North is $100 M-Th. walking, show up at 6am you'll get on no problem if there is no tourney action. Coronado is $30-$35 walking, can't beat it! Admiral Baker North is $30 walking M-Th. From there it depends on how far east you want to go. Steele Canyon is great (Ranch/Canyon 9's, not a fan of the Meadow 9), Salt Creek is a fun links style (sort of) course. Borona is very nice, get a players card for free and a better price on golf. Gamble there too if you want. Sycaun has two 18's, Willow is best. There are many others as well, some will just be hotter than others because of the time of year. The first choices are all closest to the coast and will be cooler.

And there is tons of stuff to do in San Diego for fun. We've got beaches too! Come on down!

Why travel very far when that is the absolute peak time for your golf locally???

What about Giant's Ridge, or the Classic at Madden's?

Or if you insist on travelling how about Hawktree in ND? Or Kohler?

There is such limited time to enjoy the spectacular golf you can find in your area that I would wonder why you would go elsewhere?

Travel to play during the remaining 7 months of the year when you either can't play or conditions are crap. ;)

@cdnrockies, I totally hear you. Here is the situation. My wife and I have baby #2 on the way and we have two flight vouchers that expire I believe in October. Use it or lose it. We also have a whole lotta hotel points accrued, so lodging is free. I am graduating from MBA school in 12 days so my wife figured combine the baby + graduation + my birthday with a little trip for @venand (Venny) and I.

Lots of great golf here, yes. But free travel to play anywhere we choose... with permission from both wives, now that is rare. Fast forward to now, the fun begins :) Lots of intake of great courses and places golf.

Palm springs sounds intriguing too; does the weather there get terribly hot?

I would seriously consider Seattle, but then I lived in the area and understand that weather there is always iffy---but it is less iffy in August than at any other time. I would play Chambers Bay (not played before, but #1 ranked in Washington) and Gold Mountain (both courses—best muni in the state).

I would also consider:

Bandon Dunes: Doesn’t meet your requirements for price range or using hotel points, but August would be a great time to go.

San Diego—shouldn’t be too ridiculously hot and lots of good courses (see other threads on the subject—might be a little limiting with your budget constraints, but probably doable). Lots of non-golf stuff to do, if that matters. Biggest problem will probably be crowded courses and trying to get on—especially if you decide on splurging and playing Torrey Pines. (Note that Torrey pines is a fun course and has great views, but as for amenities it feels like a muni or a state park, at best. The “cafe” is nice and is at the lodge next door, but it costs $20 for a burger, fries, and soft drink—and that’s not including tip.)

Denver/Colorado Springs:
Broadmoor (east and west) in Colorado Springs are ranked #2 and #6 in the state, and if you can get on the Air Force Academy courses (military or government ID required), they are good and inexpensive. Plus, at 6000 ft elevation, your drives go a little bit further. J

Utah: Good, cheap golf—but it isn’t all concentrated in one place (i.e. you will have to drive a bit and probably won’t be able to get both the courses near Salt Lake City (Thanksgiving Point, Soldier Hollow, and others) and the courses down south near St George, UT (Sand Hollow, Entrada at Snow Canyon) and Mesquite, NV (Wolf Creek)---plus it will be rather hot down South, anyway). Even near SLC, August will be a little warm and dry—but still good summer weather.

The Northeast: Don’t know much about it, but the weather should be good. Probably not the cheapest place to play—but then, neither is San Diego.

What a nice problem to have… :)

Enjoy!

Larson, thanks for the reaponse! That is tons of good info to take in, i really appreciate your thoroughness.

So on the topic of the st. George & mesquite NV route, wont it br blazin hot there too? Weather.com said an average high of 103* in the summer. Yes its the summer so everywhere will be hot, but asking for the sake of asking.

Anyone have thoughts on Albequerque & Paa Ko? Yheir average high is 85* in the summer.

For the colorado springs idea, what does it cost to get on broadmoor?

[quote name='mccjud' timestamp='1369415824' post='7099694']
Larson, thanks for the reaponse! That is tons of good info to take in, i really appreciate your thoroughness.

So on the topic of the st. George & mesquite NV route, wont it br blazin hot there too? Weather.com said an average high of 103* in the summer. Yes its the summer so everywhere will be hot, but asking for the sake of asking.

Anyone have thoughts on Albequerque & Paa Ko? Yheir average high is 85* in the summer.

For the colorado springs idea, what does it cost to get on broadmoor?
[/quote]
Broadmoor is more expensive than I thought -- $200+ peak season.

Yes, Southern Utah will be blazing hot in August. SLC and surrounding mountain area are higher elevation and a little cooler.

[quote name='mccjud' timestamp='1369416495' post='7099800']
Also, I read that some people love playing mountain golf in Virginia & further south. anyone comment on that area?
[/quote]

I love mountain golf, but stay away from Virginia in August. It's hot and miserably humid and most of the courses are in their worst shape of the year after struggling with the heat. (September is a LOT better.)

[quote name='mccjud' timestamp='1369416495' post='7099800']
Also, I read that some people love playing mountain golf in Virginia & further south. anyone comment on that area?
[/quote]
I live in the mountains of Western North Carloina. Our community is at 5506' in elevation and very cool in the Summer months. The problem is everyone from the South has found us and the courses are usually very crowded until after Labor Day. The best courses here are mostly private and difficult to get on without a member.

To find a place that's going to be cool down here you'll need elevation. Unfortunately, the options are limited due to the crowded conditions. Maybe someone else here in the high country has a hidden gem or two they can recommend.

Ok Ok guys, thanks for the great responses. Sounds to me like the general consensus is to either find mountain golf where it is cooler, or man up to the heat & play for more affordable rates. Seattle is sounding nice, too. Anyone played Couer De'lane area courses; word is that's a good area for golf too. Any feedback?

I think I'll check out SLC courses too.

Thank you all for feedback thus far, it has been extremely helpful! Anyone else need to add a course or location? Anyone out there played in Albequerque? Myrtle Beach not worth considering?

Judd

Myrtle Beach has some great courses and you will find some great deals in August because it's blazing hot. If it were me, I would just go ahead and get my Pebble Beach and Spyglass in. It's pricey, but the experience of a lifetime. Life throws a lot of crap your way, and who knows if you and your buddy will be able to get out again.

I've played Paa Ko, one of my favorites but the town of ABQ sucks!!!

If I had to choose, I'd go back to the Bend,OR area. Great golf, great scenery, great beer!

callaway epic max ls MMT x
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set 21* evenflow 6.5

HOGAN ft worth black x100

cleveland 50* scratch  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled options

[quote name='mccjud' timestamp='1369449674' post='7103304']
ok awesome input! SLC sounds hot... might as well do Scottsdale if its above 100* each day.

Myrtle Beach is tempting.... how good are these deals & courses?

Idaho input, anyone? thanks again fellow WRXers!
[/quote]

The Resort is gimmicky at best, but definitely worth playing 1 time as they take very good care of you (ie. shoulder/back massages BEFORE teeing off).

Circling Raven is by far the better golf course and deal.

Scottsdale is a fun place but will be very very hot then so if you do not mind the heat then it will be extremely cheap that time of year.

Another thought is the SF Bay Area/Monterey plenty of decent choices and many would not break the bank

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]