LEFT LEFT LEFT... ALWAYS MISS LEFT. Hmm?

That Bob Guy

It seems that I always miss my putts left. Could it possibly be my putter? I usually use a plumbers neck Anser type putter, and I set up square to my target... But when I miss. It's usually left.

Did I read or hear somewhere, sometime, that some putters and/or hosel styles promote a miss to the left?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You could try a putter with more toe hang. The extra weight would help stop you from closing the face up on/through impact. It's the same concept of why you would put a heavier weight in the toe and a lighter weight in the heel to stop hooking your driver, A quick solution would be to try some lead tape on the toe of your putter. A long term solution would be looking for a del mar or odyssey #9 style.

Edit: spelling

[quote name='simple36' timestamp='1369765861' post='7121672']
You could try a putter with more toe hang. The extra weight would help stop you from closing the face up on/through impact. It's the same concept of why you would put a heavier weight in the toe and a lighter weight in the heel to stop hooking your driver, A quick solution would be to try some lead tape on the toe of your putter. A long term solution would be looking for a del mar or odyssey #9 style.

[/quote]

If he's RH he would want less toe hang, more face balance

I used to have this problem
Go with something centre shafted and no offset. Helps eliminate the lefties

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

[quote name='avgjoe' timestamp='1369766520' post='7121768']

[/quote]

[/quote]

And what is your logic behind this? Makes no sense to me, here is why: if we look at what you do in a driver with adjustable weights it is the opposite of what you are saying. If you put 8g weights in each side of the head it would influence a straighter ball flit considering your swing is promoting a straight ball flight. By simply putting a 12g weight in the toe and a 4g weight in the heel, you are influencing a cut: slice swing. This is because the heavier weight in the toe makes it more difficult to turn the head over. This leaves your face open through impact because with the same swing, it would require MORE EFFORT to turn the head over. So if he was trying to not hit it left it means he is closing the face through impact. To fix this, we need a heavier weighted toe for the same reason. With the same swing it requires MORE EFFORT to turn the club over. The heavier toe will allow him to hit the ball with a square face granted he is making the same stroke. The best way to fix this issue is to get a putter with more toe hang unless you want to change your stroke. My suggestion would be to go to the store and try a few different putters that have more toe hang than your current putter. The ones that come to mind are the Scotty Del Mar, Odyssey #9, and Cleveland Classic #2. I had picked up the Cleveland at one point but kept leaving putts right. Picked up a center shafted nike method core 4i and was hitting center of the cup. Didn't like the shape so I switched to a Bettinardi BB33 which is also face balanced and am still hitting the center of the cup.

Also yes, this is all considering he is a right handed player. A lefty that is leaving putts left needs to switch to a face balanced putter or one with less toe hang than their current putter for the same reasons I just explained.

[quote name='simple36' timestamp='1369772439' post='7122410']

[/quote]

[/quote]

And what is your logic behind this? Makes no sense to me, here is why: if we look at what you do in a driver with adjustable weights it is the opposite of what you are saying. If you put 8g weights in each side of the head it would influence a straighter ball flit considering your swing is promoting a straight ball flight. By simply putting a 12g weight in the toe and a 4g weight in the heel, you are influencing a cut: slice swing. This is because the heavier weight in the toe makes it more difficult to turn the head over. This leaves your face open through impact because with the same swing, it would require MORE EFFORT to turn the head over. So if he was trying to not hit it left it means he is closing the face through impact. To fix this, we need a heavier weighted toe for the same reason. With the same swing it requires MORE EFFORT to turn the club over. The heavier toe will allow him to hit the ball with a square face granted he is making the same stroke. The best way to fix this issue is to get a putter with more toe hang unless you want to change your stroke. My suggestion would be to go to the store and try a few different putters that have more toe hang than your current putter. The ones that come to mind are the Scotty Del Mar, Odyssey #9, and Cleveland Classic #2. I had picked up the Cleveland at one point but kept leaving putts right. Picked up a center shafted nike method core 4i and was hitting center of the cup. Didn't like the shape so I switched to a Bettinardi BB33 which is also face balanced and am still hitting the center of the cup.

Also yes, this is all considering he is a right handed player. A lefty that is leaving putts left needs to switch to a face balanced putter or one with less toe hang than their current putter for the same reasons I just explained.
[/quote]

My understanding was that more toe hang helped close the putter face through impact. Therefore he would need a putter with more face balance / less toe hang.

Cobra Amp Cell 8.5* w/ Black Tie
TEE XCG4 15* w/ Prolaunch Red
Adams Super LS w/ KK Black 19*
Mizuno JPX 800 4-GW w/S300
Cleveland 588 RTX 56*
Bettinardi Studio Stock 15

[quote name='simple36' timestamp='1369772439' post='7122410']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I'm no expert, but I have to say, you are definately wrong on this. Extra toe hang closes the face easier. That's why people with an arced stroke need more toe hang (to help get the putter face around). I would say the OP needs a putter with less toe hang (more face balanced). For him to get a del mar or #9 style would be probably the worst thing to do in this situation.

[quote name='simple36' timestamp='1369776314' post='7122888']
Maybe I am wrong, just saying that under my experience that's how it's been. To me it logically doesn't work that a face balanced putter would help him.
[/quote]

You are thinking of it as a driver. Your views on weighting for a driver are correct (more weight on toe for a fade). However putters are completely different. More toe hang causes the head to open and CLOSE more freely, hence people with arced strokes need putters with more toe hang, because if they didn't have weight on the toe, they would swing the putter back arced and then the face would never shut. Here is the physics behind it if you would like more information. http://thepowerfade.com/2012/09/12/understanding-putters-toe-hang-and-various-neck-styles/

[quote name='schuyler' timestamp='1369777696' post='7123006']
[quote name='simple36' timestamp='1369776314' post='7122888']
Maybe I am wrong, just saying that under my experience that's how it's been. To me it logically doesn't work that a face balanced putter would help him.
[/quote]

You are thinking of it as a driver. Your views on weighting for a driver are correct (more weight on toe for a fade). However putters are completely different. More toe hang causes the head to open and CLOSE more freely, hence people with arced strokes need putters with more toe hang, because if they didn't have weight on the toe, they would swing the putter back arced and then the face would never shut. Here is the physics behind it if you would like more information. http://thepowerfade.com/2012/09/12/understanding-putters-toe-hang-and-various-neck-styles/
[/quote]
I see, makes a little more sense now.

[quote name='That Bob Guy' timestamp='1369765597' post='7121650']
It seems that I always miss my putts left. Could it possibly be my putter? I usually use a plumbers neck Anser type putter, and I set up square to my target... But when I miss. It's usually left.
Did I read or hear somewhere, sometime, that some putters and/or hosel styles promote a miss to the left?
[/quote]

You say you "set up square to your target", but if you asked almost every single golfer they would say that they set up square when odds are they are[b]absolutely not "square" [/b]when they think they are aiming parallel left.

Take someone to a putting green with you and use their assistance and bring with you two tees and a T-Square. Find a straight putt on the green roughly 8-10 feet from the hole and setup like you're going to make the putt. Now [b]without moving[/b] have your buddy place two tees on the front edge corners of the putter face: one right on the heel and the toe. Now place the square right up against the tees with the T pointing at the hole on your line. Get directly behind the T and see where you are ACTUALLY aimed. I would put $20 down that you are aimed [b]RIGHT of the hole[/b]. The human mind is an amazing thing that compensates for us without us even realizing it...

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1299464-bruinspatsirish-witb-march-2016-taylormade-adams-bettinardi-tee/page__p__13143444#entry13143444"]bruinsPATSirish WITB![/url]
Callaway EPIC 10.5* Tour Issue Speeder 757 X
Callaway EPIC 3 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
Callaway EPIC 5 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
TaylorMade RSi TP Irons w/ Project X 6.5
Callaway MackDaddy FORGED 52/56/60 DG TI S200
Bettinardi BB8 DASS TriSole

[/quote]

http://yesgolf.com/fitting/

Scroll down to the bottom of the page to the section regarding offset.

It could be the putter, could also be that you have too much right hand working in your stroke, could also be an alignment issue, could be a grip issue.

Callaway Big Bertha 10.5º
TM SLDR TS / TM SLDR 3HL
Callaway X Hot 25º hybrid
Titleist AP1 714 5-W1 XP95 S300
Cleveland 588 RTX CB 54º/58º
Odyssey Tank Cruiser #7

[quote name='rb828' timestamp='1369798162' post='7125344']
[/quote]

[url="http://yesgolf.com/fitting/"]http://yesgolf.com/fitting/[/url]

Scroll down to the bottom of the page to the section regarding offset.
[/quote]
Interesting read. Thanks brother!
I've been looking for a long slant neck, little to no offset style putter for a while, with no success.
I noticed a young buck on the PGA Tour who won one of the early tournaments was using a Nike Method like that, but from what I understand, it's not a production model, yet anyways.

[quote name='cardoustie' timestamp='1369767148' post='7121834']
[/quote]

Ditto on the CS putter.

I was ALWAYS hitting left, made two changes: first, I tried out a center-shafted putter - in my case it was a Seemore. It worked so well I bought one which I am currently playing. Secondly, I work frequently on my alignmnet and my $@@%%#% HEAD MOVEMENT!!! If I move my head, or even glance down the line during a putt, I tend to pull it left.

The only other suggestion is to try out a putter that's very hevy and with lots of inertia - Ping Nome, TM Spyder, Odyssey Saber, something like that.

PS. A friend just bought a Nike Method Core 4i (ctr-shafted) for almost nothing and it is MONEY! Shaped sort of like a longer B60 style, it is forgiving and the grooves really help a good, true roll. I love my Seemores, but this thing - well day-ummm!

I like the 2-tee-and-t-square idea. Great for benchmarking your current state.

Good Luck!

[quote name='plus8' timestamp='1369823756' post='7126310']
[quote name='cardoustie' timestamp='1369767148' post='7121834']
[/quote]

Ditto on the CS putter.

I was ALWAYS hitting left, made two changes: first, I tried out a center-shafted putter - in my case it was a Seemore. It worked so well I bought one which I am currently playing. Secondly, I work frequently on my alignmnet and my $@@%%#% HEAD MOVEMENT!!! If I move my head, or even glance down the line during a putt, I tend to pull it left.

The only other suggestion is to try out a putter that's very hevy and with lots of inertia - Ping Nome, TM Spyder, Odyssey Saber, something like that.

PS. A friend just bought a Nike Method Core 4i (ctr-shafted) for almost nothing and it is MONEY! Shaped sort of like a longer B60 style, it is forgiving and the grooves really help a good, true roll. I love my Seemores, but this thing - well day-ummm!

I like the 2-tee-and-t-square idea. Great for benchmarking your current state.

Good Luck!
[/quote]

Those Method Cores are pretty nice stroking but man they are too ugly for me to look at!

That drill is one of the first things I do with someone for a short game lesson after I have them try and get up and down from a few different lies. It really blows people's mind when they see where they are actually aligned.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1299464-bruinspatsirish-witb-march-2016-taylormade-adams-bettinardi-tee/page__p__13143444#entry13143444"]bruinsPATSirish WITB![/url]
Callaway EPIC 10.5* Tour Issue Speeder 757 X
Callaway EPIC 3 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
Callaway EPIC 5 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
TaylorMade RSi TP Irons w/ Project X 6.5
Callaway MackDaddy FORGED 52/56/60 DG TI S200
Bettinardi BB8 DASS TriSole

[quote name='HISPL' timestamp='1369828037' post='7126470']
Make sure the lie angle of the putter is suitable.

A putter with a lie angle that is too upright will cause a miss that is a pull, so left for a right handed golfer.

Lie angle is critical, it can also be adjusted easily on most putters.
[/quote]I agree! Got fit at a TM performance lab. They said more toe hang and flatter lie angle. The toe of my putter was off the ground, pulled to the left every time. Now I order putters 2* flat, 2* of loft, Perfect now!

Ping Hoofer Lite

TM Qi10 10.5*

TM Qi10 4/7W

Mizuno 243 5-GW

Mizuno T24 54/S, 58/D

Mizuno OMOI #2

Mizuno RB Tour

Super Bowl LII Champions Fly Eagles Fly! 🦅

[quote name='That Bob Guy' timestamp='1369856149' post='7129648']
[quote name='indyvai' timestamp='1369835758' post='7127108']
Where is the ball in your stance?
[/quote]
About a ball inside my left big toe. Feet are about 6 inches apart.
[/quote]

Try putting the putter in the middle of your stance, so the ball would be just forward of center. If the putter is closing before contacting the ball, than your natural stroke might flatten out / square itself further back in your stance, which could be why the balls always going left. Better to tweak what you do first to see if it works before reinventing the wheel...

Grab a face balanced putter off a rack (with any shaft type, i.e., center shafted, plumbers neck, etc.) -- and roll 20 putts with it -- and see what you think.

I'll bet it will be an improvement.

DRIVER: PING G425 - 10.5 w/Alta shaft
FAIRWAY: PING G425 - 3W & 5W w/Alta shafts
HYBRID: PING G425 4H - w/Ping Tour shaft
IRONS: PING i525 (5-U) w/Modus Tour 105 shafts
WEDGES: Cleveland RTX ZipCore (54* Mid and 60* Mid)
PUTTER: Titleist Scotty Cameron Select Fastback
BALL: Titleist Pro V1x

[quote name='indyvai' timestamp='1369857198' post='7129754']
[quote name='That Bob Guy' timestamp='1369856149' post='7129648']
[quote name='indyvai' timestamp='1369835758' post='7127108']
Where is the ball in your stance?
[/quote]
About a ball inside my left big toe. Feet are about 6 inches apart.
[/quote]

Try putting the putter in the middle of your stance, so the ball would be just forward of center. If the putter is closing before contacting the ball, than your natural stroke might flatten out / square itself further back in your stance, which could be why the balls always going left. Better to tweak what you do first to see if it works before reinventing the wheel...
[/quote]
+1 Also, you might want to widen your feet to shoulder width just like with any other club.

I also had a problem with the lefts especially with short putts too.
Didn't matter what putter hosel design I used.

I went to putting lab and that solved my problem.
My path was straight at the hole at impact but my face was few degrees to the left at impact.
Face angle is the more signfigant factor than path in determining where the ball goes.

For me the simple correction was to forward press which square up my blade relative to my path