2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Who else hates their home course ;-))))

I know some of you guys can relate to this feeling. The general manager at my home course, which hosted the Publinx finals many years ago, has no golf background at all. She dictates orders to everyone, and achieves financial success for the facility by force alone. The woman knows nothing about golf. The tees are shaggy and soft. They desperately need to be rolled and flattened. The fairways on several holes are always, always wet. Instead of tackling the problem, they just make them cart path only and let the grass grow tall. The greens are infested with poa anna. Some more than others. So each green has its own speed. And that speed literally can go from a 6 to a 10 depending on the week ;-0.....

Yes im bitching and moaning. Fair enough. But how hard is it to mow the grass short. To simply lower the blades on a tractor. Come on. Stop over watering. Why can't you keep the greens a consistent speed, or at least have them all fluctuate at the same time? It doesn't cost money to set the blades lower on the mowers and use less water.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ouch.

My home course is usually in pretty good shape, until last autumn when big bare patches appeared on some of the fairways. Well it's looking somewhat better now and last week when I played there a marshal told me that they're putting down topsoil. Apparently there was a financial dispute when the land was purchased for the course and the original owner removed much of the topsoil before vacating. They are completely reworking the 18th and made two temporary holes (a par 4 and a par 3) out of the 11th IIRC. Overall though I LIKE my home course.

Still, I hope this makes you feel better.

My home course(s) are a 45 hole complex. For years they were allowed to deteriorate by the city as profits that should have been banked in a capital improvements fund were siphoned off for the general budget, maintenance was cut to below minimum standards, and the amenities and facilities were truly shabby. I am pretty sure the city leaders did this intentionally in order to cry "crisis" and say the only way to fix things was to bring in a housing developer to take the best land, move the 9 hole course to Siberia, and make a tidy profit while messing up the golf course AND the traffic. Luckily, the chair of the golf commission did not play ball with the mayor or the developer and got a groundswell of public support to send away the developer, pass an ordinance that prevented the city from ever selling or trading the golf course land without a supermajority vote of the public, and bring in a golf course development/operations group to fix up and run the place. That's been done (the contract) and the renovations are underway. First the driving range including a new (as in, we didn't have one before) short game practice area, then the 9 hole, then the two 18s.

They haven't finished the range renovations, and the hitting area is 1/2 grass, 1/2 mats, but here is a look at the work done so far at the range.

before-after.jpg

SO, yes, I hate(d) my home course but things are starting to look up.

I also don't care for my 'home' course. I don't belong to a club so the course closest to my house is my home course. I have other options but the drive is twice as long. This course also happens to be a resort facility, which may attribute to my disliking. Not that there's anything wrong with resort courses, but they tend to be overpriced, overcrowded, and overrated. It's well maintained and the bar is nice, but I tend to be a classy pub kind of guy, not a tourist. Does that make any sense?

G400 10.5* / TOUR AD GP-6s
915F 15* / S+ 70s
M4 3H / HZRDUS 85s
Z565 TI 4-P / NS PRO 1050GHs
588-RTX 50*/54*/58*
POTENZA TOUR FLOW

Main thing I hate about my home course is the tee boxes. Almost impossible to find an even lie. It's really really bad. Also a huge pet peeve of mine.

TM '07 Burner TP 8.5° Protopype 80X
TM '07 Burner TP 14.5° PX 10A2
Adams Pro Idea Gold 18° PX HB6
Mizuno MP 32 3-PW DGS300
Cleveland 588 RTG 51°/56°/60°
The Wilson 8802

[quote name='adamjstl' timestamp='1369796466' post='7125178']
I know some of you guys can relate to this feeling. The general manager at my home course, which hosted the Publinx finals many years ago, has no golf background at all. She dictates orders to everyone, and achieves financial success for the facility by force alone. The woman knows nothing about golf. The tees are shaggy and soft. They desperately need to be rolled and flattened. The fairways on several holes are always, always wet. Instead of tackling the problem, they just make them cart path only and let the grass grow tall. The greens are infested with poa anna. Some more than others. So each green has its own speed. And that speed literally can go from a 6 to a 10 depending on the week ;-0.....

Yes im bitching and moaning. Fair enough. But how hard is it to mow the grass short. To simply lower the blades on a tractor. Come on. Stop over watering. Why can't you keep the greens a consistent speed, or at least have them all fluctuate at the same time? It doesn't cost money to set the blades lower on the mowers and use less water.
[/quote]

......at least you have grass on the teebox :lol:

My course is terrible. We literally tee off of dirt 80% of the time.......

the greens used to be as bad, but they have removed some trees surrounding them and the greens are getting somewhat better. somewhat.

Taylormade Stealth 10.5 Tensei Orange CK

Taylormade Stealth 15

Cobra F9 19
Titleist T100s 5-GW
Vokey sm9 52 12f  , sm9 56 10sgrind
Scotty Cameron Newport Tei3, 1998
Dormie Workshop custom head covers

I love my home course because its relatively cheap to be a member at, its a great layout, the greens, tees and fairways are in great shape... but...

The bunkers are atrocious. They did not have a bunker rejuvenation program and it showed. Last year they redid all of the greenside bunkers and for maybe half a season they were in pretty solid shape. The only problem was, they filled them to minimum spec (4.5" deep) as opposed to going to the high end of 6". Now, the bunkers are already thin again. Worse yet, the fairway bunkers are not even playable. Literally I pull the ball out of the fairway bunker probably 65% of the time. Most of the bunkers have pretty much 0 sand in them and they are filled with rocks/pebbles. At the mercy of my forged AP2s I refuse to hit from the pebbles. If the ball is laying in a bunker that is not filled with mud or rocks, I will play it.

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

I'm a member at a nice inexpensive course. It is in good shape and is open all winter if weather permits. My gripe is...Too many tournaments every weekend. I've almost quit playing on the weekends. I realize they have to make money and want them to. Last couple of times we went out Saturdays, they where out of carts and they had givien us a tee time..lol..We have a couple lesser courses that don't get as much weekend play that we go to when necessary.Also letting the husband/wife league go off on the back nine on Friday at 5;30 is starting to be a sticking point with all members...who play Friday after work..
Paul

Most of the courses around here I frequent have suffered to some extent from droughts the past 2 years. The rain we have had this year is finally starting to heal this process. Another course I love the layout but can't play due to the piss poor idea of littering every hole with houses everywhere. instead of rough you have fenced backyards. They featured one of there teaching pro's on tv last night in which he proceeded to instruct viewers on how to fix a ball mark which BTW was done improperly, he said insert tool around the hole lifting up on the mark then tap it down.

Cally 9.5 Xhot Fuel TS 60 tipped
RBZ Stage 2 Tour 16.5* HL Attas 7S
909H 17*, 21* &24* V Steel
5-GW Cobra Pro M/B 950g/h
Cleveland 588 Tour Zip Grooves 54*
34" C&L 355g Beached
WITB Link

[quote name='SurfinTurf' timestamp='1369801305' post='7125646']
Main thing I hate about my home course is the tee boxes. Almost impossible to find an even lie. It's really really bad. Also a huge pet peeve of mine.
[/quote]

I don't have a home course but this drives me nuts more than anything...especially on the newer courses in the area. Why are they building ranges and tee boxes that have dips dives and everything else but flat ground....my favorites are the tee boxes that force the ball above your feet yet the hole moves left to right or vice versa. It's pretty easy to create a level surface, I've done it a few times in my yard. I think this one thing drives me more crazy than bad greens.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

My home course is always in exceptional shape. The practice facility amazing. But the thing that drives me nuts is how poorly designed the golf course is. Dozens of blind shots, too many dramatically uphill holes, a lot of holes that just do not make any sense to me. There are a lot of good holes as well, but the ones that suck take away from the entire golf course.

The only reason I remain there is because it is only 500 feet from my house.

Titleist 915 9.5 with Blueboard 73x
Titleist 915F 13 with Blueboard 83x
Titleist 712MB 4-9
Vokey SM4 46,52, 60
Vokey SM5 56
Scotty Cameron Newport 2 33"

I don't hate mine....but there are a couple of holes that I've had some absolute disasters on during tournament rounds. I'm not alone in that because they're pretty tough holes and almost everyone has had a disaster or two. The problem is that it creates demons that are difficult to banish. New players come in and play those holes and don't have the memory of a triple-bogey 7 coming down the stretch.

SYard T388
TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
Miura CB-57 3-PW
Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 57C, 60K
Old Titleist Blade

[quote name='adamjstl' timestamp='1369796466' post='7125178']
I know some of you guys can relate to this feeling. The general manager at my home course, which hosted the Publinx finals many years ago, has no golf background at all. She dictates orders to everyone, and achieves financial success for the facility by force alone. The woman knows nothing about golf.
[/quote]

Your course hired Carolyn Bivens?....lol
Blame your incompetent BoD for the hire.

Sounds more of a course superintendent issue vs. a GM issue.

The only thing I didn't care for with my "home course" was the fact the locals thought THEY owned the course. Yeah, they were there before many of us but it made for bad feelings. I left and just play different local courses now. The course itself is good and in good shape and get's better every year so from that perspective, they are doing things right.

I live in upstate SC (aka the "Foothills") so I see a lot of rolling terrain.

The bad thing is, a lot of holes wind up being built on the side of a slope where there doesn't seem to be room for the hole. Only the best shots aren't lost down some ridiculous hill or kicked sideways into the woods or water.

There are a few holes where I've smashed perfect fairway-woods up the right side of the hole that wind up in the water left.

When a seemingly "perfect shot" isn't good enough, I have to question the design and whether things should be modified. There's nothing more frustrating.

I'd give anything to have grown up in a flatter area where wind or sand is the enemy and not bad design.

TSR3 (9o) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2+ (14.5o 3w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

TSR2 (21o 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-Gw) (Nippon Modus3)

SM9 56-F / 60-S
Maltby PTM-5CS

[quote name='MountainKing' timestamp='1369836056' post='7127144']
[quote name='SurfinTurf' timestamp='1369801305' post='7125646']
[/quote]

I don't have a home course but this drives me nuts more than anything...especially on the newer courses in the area. Why are they building ranges and tee boxes that have dips dives and everything else but flat ground....my favorites are the tee boxes that force the ball above your feet yet the hole moves left to right or vice versa. It's pretty easy to create a level surface, I've done it a few times in my yard. I think this one thing drives me more crazy than bad greens.
[/quote]

EXACTLY. How hard is it to have flat tee boxes. And mow the grass short so your feet don't sink in. Ugh.

Where do I begin? Here is my big rant. Apologies for the length but I need to let it all out. Better change my avatar incase a club member reads this.

I sometime wonder whether the greenkeepers at my course are qualified, or are they just lazy? I always see them trimming the edges of paths, weeding the gardens, cutting down branches, taking long hours to mow small areas of rough, repainting fences that dont need to be painted, joyriding on the carts.

They do a poor job of looking after the fairways - uneven mowing and divots everywhere. I always fill in my divots but I have never seen the greenkeepers go around and fill up the divots with sand. There are several of them, even if they could do this once a month it would make a huge difference to members in terms of enjoying the course. When there is no placing, it is as though I am being punished for hitting the fairway.

Greens are at different speeds, and bumpy. The ball skids and bounces along the green. It is always a pleasure to play at different courses around my city, because there greens are such a breath of fresh air to putt on.

Sand in the bunkers is inconsistent, not to mention the sticks and stones. Sometimes I see 2-3 greenkeepers raking a bunker for 10-15 minutes. Does it really take that long!?

We have yellow flags for front, red for back. Sometimes they decide to put a yellow flag for a back pin placement to confuse me.

GUR areas are sometimes under repair for months. They seem to just fence an area off or spray paint it, without actually doing anything to improve the marked-off area.

Weeding the rough literally 1-2 yards from the out of bounds fence. Come on. Is this really a priority?

We are encouraged to use sandbuckets to repair our divots, yet sometimes there are no sand buckets in the storage area near the first tee, they are all piled up at the end of the 18th near the clubhouse. It would take a couple of minutes to fix this.

Tee boxes are very poor. I struggle to find an even stance, and some tree roots are coming up from underneath on one or two tee boxes.

The driving nets on the first tee - the ball sometimes bounces back at you, or into the other bay, instead of straight down. Not fast enough to cause injury, but still, annoying.

My course is restricted in terms of land, so the range is quite small, so there shouldn't be much excuse then right? Wrong. They use ropes to guide us where we should hit from, and then after a couple of weeks they move the ropes forward/back to a different part of the range. However, they don't repair the grass that was just used. As a result, the range is full of divots, bumps, and uneven grass. There is hardly ever any sign that the range is maintained.

I did something cheeky last month. Wrote an anonymous note/complaint and stuck it under a tee marker - asking that the range be repaired. A week later, I see them filling up the range with sand and raking it in. So I know they can do these things, but why do they not show any initiative in realizing these things without moody members having to give them signs?

I actually did the same thing regarding a tee box, which had been in poor condition for a few months. Again, they began working on it a week after I put the letter under the marker.

Now this is a serious question - what times do you see greenkeepers working on your course? Mornings, afternoons, or both? Is it an all day job, or is it best to do the work in the morning first thing? Because the greenkeepers at my course are still out there come 3pm.

I know for a fact that membership at my club is more expensive than some other courses in my city, yet it is one of the more poorly presented. I do not live close enough to those courses to justify the fuel costs getting out there regularly.

• 4 weeks later...

I used to live in Sicily and play a course there that would have been nice if they maintained it. The tee boxes were uneven and rarely cut, the bunkers were full of rocks, and there were patches of clovers growing all over the course. The clovers ended up covering large portions of the fairways, making it impossible to find your ball even if you hit it in the fairway. Then I found out why the maintenance crews were always sitting around and the course was in such bad shape. Turns out the owner hadn't paid any of the employees in almost two years! I stopped going there after I heard that and a couple months later the course shut down.

Sure you can belong to course you don't care for. In small towns all across this country there are Country Clubs that are the only options to play [i]and[/i] people will maintain their memberships out of loyalty to the club and their community. I keep a membership at the 9 hole club that I grew up playing even thought I don't live there. I'm not alone in that either. We have 15-20 non-resident members.

Long grass is a by product of superintendants & course management not wanting to take the chance of losing tees, greens and even fairways. I've seen that happen at multiple courses and clubs.

The economic troubles of the past half-decade have caused trimming of budgets across the board. It may not seem like much but when you have a course that only has 6-10 employees and you're forced to lay off 2 of them.....a lot of maintenance and grooming get passed over.

SYard T388
TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
Miura CB-57 3-PW
Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 57C, 60K
Old Titleist Blade

[quote name='taylormade_06' timestamp='1369905480' post='7133616']
Where do I begin? Here is my big rant. Apologies for the length but I need to let it all out. Better change my avatar incase a club member reads this.

I sometime wonder whether the greenkeepers at my course are qualified, or are they just lazy? I always see them trimming the edges of paths, weeding the gardens, cutting down branches, taking long hours to mow small areas of rough, repainting fences that dont need to be painted, joyriding on the carts.

They do a poor job of looking after the fairways - uneven mowing and divots everywhere. I always fill in my divots but I have never seen the greenkeepers go around and fill up the divots with sand. There are several of them, even if they could do this once a month it would make a huge difference to members in terms of enjoying the course. When there is no placing, it is as though I am being punished for hitting the fairway.

Greens are at different speeds, and bumpy. The ball skids and bounces along the green. It is always a pleasure to play at different courses around my city, because there greens are such a breath of fresh air to putt on.

Sand in the bunkers is inconsistent, not to mention the sticks and stones. Sometimes I see 2-3 greenkeepers raking a bunker for 10-15 minutes. Does it really take that long!?

We have yellow flags for front, red for back. Sometimes they decide to put a yellow flag for a back pin placement to confuse me.

GUR areas are sometimes under repair for months. They seem to just fence an area off or spray paint it, without actually doing anything to improve the marked-off area.

Weeding the rough literally 1-2 yards from the out of bounds fence. Come on. Is this really a priority?

We are encouraged to use sandbuckets to repair our divots, yet sometimes there are no sand buckets in the storage area near the first tee, they are all piled up at the end of the 18th near the clubhouse. It would take a couple of minutes to fix this.

Tee boxes are very poor. I struggle to find an even stance, and some tree roots are coming up from underneath on one or two tee boxes.

The driving nets on the first tee - the ball sometimes bounces back at you, or into the other bay, instead of straight down. Not fast enough to cause injury, but still, annoying.

My course is restricted in terms of land, so the range is quite small, so there shouldn't be much excuse then right? Wrong. They use ropes to guide us where we should hit from, and then after a couple of weeks they move the ropes forward/back to a different part of the range. However, they don't repair the grass that was just used. As a result, the range is full of divots, bumps, and uneven grass. There is hardly ever any sign that the range is maintained.

I did something cheeky last month. Wrote an anonymous note/complaint and stuck it under a tee marker - asking that the range be repaired. A week later, I see them filling up the range with sand and raking it in. So I know they can do these things, but why do they not show any initiative in realizing these things without moody members having to give them signs?

I actually did the same thing regarding a tee box, which had been in poor condition for a few months. Again, they began working on it a week after I put the letter under the marker.

Now this is a serious question - what times do you see greenkeepers working on your course? Mornings, afternoons, or both? Is it an all day job, or is it best to do the work in the morning first thing? Because the greenkeepers at my course are still out there come 3pm.

I know for a fact that membership at my club is more expensive than some other courses in my city, yet it is one of the more poorly presented. I do not live close enough to those courses to justify the fuel costs getting out there regularly.
[/quote]

If you have this many issues with your home course why are you still there? I understand if its convenience, price, etc. but if not you need to question why you still play there. I had fairly similar issues at a course I was a member at last year. The course, however, was literally 2 minutes from my office and was pretty cheap so it made it a no brainer.

In terms of when the maintenance crew works... At my course its mostly all day. They generally do the heavy lifting on the course in the early AM or Evening so it doesn't bother play. Then they do stuff around the practice areas or further off the fairway during the day. This works pretty well as they are almost always out of the way of play. The only time they may be in the way is if they have a bigger project or issue going on. A few weeks ago there were a few guys working on the drainage system in the middle of the 5th fairway. That's really the only time I have seen them on coruse during play this season.

For what it's worth, my course has horrible fairway bunkers. I mean literally unplayable. Prob 50% of the time I pull the ball out of the fairway bunker as there is no sand, most aren't raked (because theres no sand) and there are rocks everywhere. As much as I want to uphold the integrity of the game, I don't have the cash to replace a forged iron after I get a giant gash in the face of the club. I started doing this last year when the fairway traps got really bad. I had a event out there, landed in one, hit a PW from it and seriously left a gash covering the length of 2 groves right in the middle of the face. My only other complaint about the course is regarding a couple of greens. To stipulate they are all in excellent shape and run at a 10-11 regularly. The greens however were built in the 60's when rolling at a 7 on the stimp was considered good. They are all severly sloped. 2 greens are built on plataes and the front edge has sunk 4-5 feet since they were built. They have to be sitting at a 6% grade. You literally can not keep a ball, even a tapped putt, on the front half of the green. Pins are only place on the back edge of the green at this point

[quote name='lumberman2462' timestamp='1371822990' post='7296698']
Sure you can belong to course you don't care for. In small towns all across this country there are Country Clubs that are the only options to play [i]and[/i] people will maintain their memberships out of loyalty to the club and their community. I keep a membership at the 9 hole club that I grew up playing even thought I don't live there. I'm not alone in that either. We have 15-20 non-resident members.

Long grass is a by product of superintendants & course management not wanting to take the chance of losing tees, greens and even fairways. I've seen that happen at multiple courses and clubs.

The economic troubles of the past half-decade have caused trimming of budgets across the board. It may not seem like much but when you have a course that only has 6-10 employees and you're forced to lay off 2 of them.....a lot of maintenance and grooming get passed over.
[/quote]

Almost universally unless its a high end club, I have seen fairway bunker maint. deteriorate over the past 5 years. Bunkers are the most expensive part of the course to maintain. They are also the smallest so it makes sense why it's the first place to cut the budget from.