2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

For you guys asking for a help in picking a shaft!

joey3108

• Replies 921
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

R flex, lighter shaft than what you have but slightly higher kick point.

Plus, check your swing plane and spined angle consistentcy.

Do you have any shaft reommendations that would fit this category? Is a Grafalloy Prolite a good shaft then?

Send me email with your budget number.

THX!

[email protected]

Hey Joe- first off, thanks for taking the time to help us all out!

1. What is the club existing set up? ( loft, shaft, flex, swing weight, lenght, etc )

FT-i tour, stiff flex stock (speeder 686) 9.5, which i hit from 240-260- used to use an 8.5 degree Cleveland Launcher 400 w/ a stiff v2 (loft measured by clubmaker, true loft of 8.5 degrees) which I hit 280-300 (gps measured)

2. What type of swinger are you? ( smooth or quick tempo swinger )

smooth- something like tiger when he's swinging easy, or geoff ogilvy

3. What is your handicap and on a scale 1-10 how consistent is your swing?

20 handicap, but am still new to the game. Swing is very technically sound and relatively consistent according to instructor.

4. What is the the problem w/ the existing set up?

Misses to the right, can't feel the head, loss of distance. I hit a high ball w/ the launcher, but am getting similar height with the ft-i but with a loss of 20-40 yards, and cannot get the ball to draw no matter what i do. I think it's partly b/c of a grip that's too small, which is making me grip too hard. I've built my swing to play a fade, but cannot do anything but fade/slice w/ driver compared to other clubs. 3 wood is a harmon design CTD 65 in x flex, and also have a srixon AD hybrid w/ NV65 in X flex, both of which I can draw when needed.

5. Have you ever had a launch monitor session before? ( swing speed, launch angle, ball speed, spin rate, etc?) IMPORTANT!!!

SS around 115, but have had some relatively major swing changes since that make launch angle/spin rate figures irrelevant. No problems with ballooning, low balls, or low ball flight with current set up.

6. What are you trying to change or achieve on your new set up?

Clubhead feel, slight fade instead of slice, regain lost distance (thought the uncontrollable slicing may be the culprit)

7. Have you had any dynamic club fitting before? Lie angle?

had these (http://www.equip2golf.com/specifications/specs_frameset.html?wilson_staff/ws_fat_ultra_45.html~specs) bent 2 up, and currently have TS-202s at stock lie (I think) and +1" shafts.

I know this isn't too much to go on, but I would appreciate it if you could even just give me a few suggestions at what else I should look at. It's hard for me to tell much from demo clubs since they all have standard size (too small for me) grips, which makes me death grip to keep the face from opening at impact.

What you're doing here is awesome and I would appreciate any advice you could give.

1. What is the club existing set up? ( loft, shaft, flex, swing weight, lenght, etc )

Cobra X HS9 Stiff 9*

Smooth Tempo

15 HCP - More because of putting and chipping

I'd like to maximize distance out of my swing. I am also thinking about getting a FT-5 9* Neutral but the stock E-150 Stiff shaft was just way to whippy. They didn't have any other shafts to demo. Hopefully you have some suggestions.

5. Have you ever had a launch monitor session before? ( swing speed, launch angle, ball speed, spin rate, etc?)

IMPORTANT!!!

Not with a club fitter. I just hopped onto the monitor when they were done. This was with my current Cobra and Pro V1x

SS - 112

Ball Speed - 155

LA - 18*

Spin - 2800

Looking to maximize distance and see if I can gain a little more control.

Not yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Joe,

Got a tricky one here.

Trying to get my brother his first decent driver for X-mas ... so naturally shopping / looking into now.

Problem is I'm having to do this without much info from my bro ... because it needs to stay a surprise.

Last key thing is budget. I'm trying to keep this to under $300.

I've had a solid experience with my old Infiniti driver. They make a couple of newer heads for under $200.

Then combining that with a shaft under $100 should get me there. The MCC MFS 65 through 95 have caught my attention for quality / price under $100.

So that's I've been thinking of, but I'm obviously looking for other suggestions.

I have the following details about my brother:

--> He's got some '80's bargain bin Godzilla driver. POS if you ask me.

--> Loft I'm thinking of getting him 10.5

--> He's an aggressive swinger. Doesn't load the shaft very well. Casts and pulls down hard. Very armsy swing. He's 6 ft 3 about 230-240 lbs. Looking at getting him 44.5 for better consistency.

--> His tempo is rather fast. Not Nick Price fast, but not too far off. He takes a pretty good cut at the ball.

--> He's around a 18 in handicap.

--> It's old and crappy and I know he doesn't like it. Head must be under 200 ccs or something.

5. Have you ever had a launch monitor session before? ( swing speed, launch angle, ball speed, spin rate, etc?) IMPORTANT!!!

--> No and we can't do it either without blowing the surprise.

--> I'm thinking is close to 90-100 mph

--> Just anything better than what he has now

--> If I really this, I think I can find it. Did it once and have it somewhere.

8. etc.

1. What is the club existing set up? Titleist 983k YS-6 Stiff

2. What type of swinger are you? I would say more on the quick side

2-3 handicap and probably around a 6

4.What is the Problem w/ the existing set up? Want more feedback from the shaft and just upgrading into a new driver.

5. Have you ever had a launch monitor session before? Yes but it was back when i got the 983k but i have been on monitors and looked at the info myself.

Swing Speed avg 110

Ball Speed 150's

Launch Angle 14*

Spin- Idk with the d2 my spin is high so i wanna get that down with the shaft

Looking to gain distance some more feedback in the shaft...the YS-6 is stiff and rigid

My thoughts are Titleist D2 with diamana blueboard 73x or 83x but i don't know which one would suit me....I want the distance so part of me tells me 73x and i did like the feel and feedback since i have hit the shaft before although i don't wanna leave the 83x out of the equation. Well i have hit the tour version of the 460 sasquatch so i have hit the diamana 83x and didn't have trouble controlling the shaft...But it didn't feel good in that club at least..

JCM96,

Drop your loft and play your flex around SX- X depending on your loading factor. A little heavier shaft for control if you have to.

froggy10,

Did I answer your post in the email you've send me?

Nwright4,

Stiifer tip design shaft, higher kick point, lower spin shaft, and play it around SX flex at least, maybe even an X due to your quick tempo swing style. Feel is a subjective subject, I need to dig deeper in your head to understand and still can't promise i can find the feel you are talking about.

Good Luck guys!

joe

Joe, I think I've finally found a driver...after tons of tinkering!!!

Ft-5 Tour 8.5* Neutral with Prolaunch Red X Flex

114 swing speed--always 111+, of course, like anyone else, I can speed it up, but why when I'm satisfied with the distance at that ss? :russian_roulette:

Launch angle of 10.5* -- I can work the trajectory a bit with this setup (higher when I want), but on my average swings, a 10-11* launch was produced. This is first time I've ever found something that keeps the angle down while keeping spin down also.

Spin rate in the 2800s

This thing produces a straight to very tight draw for me...and FINALLY, a driver that refuses to HOOK and that I can actually play a fade with!!! ;)

What do you think? Sound like the right setup based on the numbers??? OR would you suggest something else?

Also, I had the swingweight tested, and the fitter said it was D-0...should I change that any?

Thanks Joe!

Jay

I can't answer much here as your info is not even close to answer it properly.

Check my 1st post and read as much as possible here to understand the whole thing how to be able to help you better.

The only thing I can see is that your launch angle is not high enough IMO.

Edit: you were editing your post while i was typing my reply. I still need more info about your swing to be able to help.

Thanks Joe...yeah, I was analyzing a long list of shots from a few printouts.

To finish answering your questions from the first post...

Presently, happy with my ball striking, need to work on short game and putting a bit--which keeps me to a 2 rather than scratch or better. My swing is pretty consistent (I'd say an 8), with the only problem I feel I have in terms of ball striking be that that I sometimes fail to stay down all the way through compact.

I believe too high a launch was hurting my distance. I've also fought the lefts, but a fix in my setup and going to an x flex from s flex shafts has helped eliminate that.

I load the shaft pretty well, have a tempo that's on the quick side of smooth (not too quick, but not as smooth as I've seen).

I've always played 1* up and 1/2 inch over standard shafts in my irons (which is now probably more of 1/4" over the 'new standard').

Thanks for any info Joe.

Well!

If you are playing at a windy tight cut firm courses most of the time, You should be fine the way it is...But i still think if you want to maximise it, you need to be a little higher on LA and try to stay the same or/and a couple hundreds lower on your spinrate ( depending what is your FW% hit and what you are looking for ).

A slightly heavier shaft with as tight or tighter tip design, slightly lower kick point compare to your P red set up is probably gonna give you a better result.

However, I probably could answer it better after i can see how much higher you can hit it if you have to and how much effort for you to do that.

Looking at you LA and spinrate, It looks like you still have a slight tendency hitting down at the ball at impact. You might want to fix that IMO.

Over the past few days, I've gotten a higher launch than when I first got the driver. I believe I can contribute that to the fact that I've always had to REALLY TRY to keep the ball down, and now I can swing regular and know it isn't going to balloon with this setup.

I was really contemplating going to a 9.5* head--you think that would bring the more optimal 11-12 degree launch?

I'm in Georgia, and find that most of the course I play do have pretty tightly mown (the more prestigious courses have always been tightly mown--my home course is tightly mown also) OR hard fairways (hot summers coupled with water shortages over the past couple years has led to this).

As for fairways hit, this driver has brought quite a bit of confidence to my game--I've seen a nice spike in fairways hit due to the fact that it has eliminated the lefts for me!

I've never gotten ANY roll with the driver, even had some backup after hitting, but this has brought me a nice amount of roll!

I've used the Proforce V2 in my last couple setups, and liked it quite a bit, but the Prolaunch Red BLOWS IT AWAY for me!

I'm also a fan of the Accra 75 X flex in my Steelhead III 4+ wood (just to give you a little info on shafts that I've found that have worked for me lately).

Thanks for all the help Joe!!! I'm fairly new to the forums, but after reading all the reviews, I'm definitely giving the idea of having you possibly do some work for me in the future!

My current set up: Mactec NVG2 10.5*, stock stiff

My tempo is between quick and average, a tad quick

I'm about a 7-8 in terms of handicap, 7 out of 10 times I make a repeatable swing

I want a high inital launch, that will flatten out 1 third through flight, and that will roll.

My data: Ball speed 135 av.

Launch: 12*

Backspin 2700-3000

Av. carry: 215-220

My swing comes a little shy of parallel w/ driver, I tend to hit a tiny draw, that rolls a mile, yet still carries pretty nice. I really want to feel the ball POP off of the club face, also I want to feel the club throughout my swing (the stock Mactec shaft is 55g, I think 75). When I step on to the tee I want to be full of confindince (down the pipe), with my current set yp I dont feel comfortable. I was thinking of the Bassara 73 gram shaft. I have tried the purple ice shaft before, and it feels good, but want something different.

Thanks,

Mr MIZZY

JCM96,

Drop your loft and play your flex around SX- X depending on your loading factor. A little heavier shaft for control if you have to.

joe

Hey Joe,

Before I saw your reply, I went to my local shop and one of the "Pros" suggested an Cobra Speed Pro D 8.5* with Stiff Aldila NV 'By-You' 65S to bring the ball down. Boy was he wrong. Launch monitor was busted and when I got to the range I was just hitting balloons! Went back the next day and got on the monitor with these numbers:

SS - 110

BS - 155

LA - 19*

Spin - 4000

Granted I like this head, better sound and overall better look. Do you have any shaft recommendations with this setup?

1. Bridgestone J33R 460-9.5-VS-Proto 65-Stiff-d2-44.25

2. Smooth

3. 3.5 handicap-Consistent...but has its times where it want to go anywhere

4. Just looking for the best combo

5. Roughly 98 mph club-145 ball-13.5 Launch-2800 Spin

6. Just trying to change to whatever will step my game up off the tee. Id like some more distance, but accuracy is still key

Let me know if you have any suggestions

Muxi,

Good Luck and let me know if i can be at your service! :good:

Mr Mizzy,

I would suggest you to check your swing on a slow motion camera with your teaching pro first. I'm almost sure you have a problem hitting the ball with a descending blow.

JCM96,

You might need both swing and club analise. If your swing is fine...you gonna need to move to a lower lofted driver with heavier stiffer shaft and higher kick point too. You probably have nan agressive swing too, right?

Joesutter5,

I would stick by with this set up for a while and try to find a teaching pro who can give you a better advice on increasing your swing speed but maintain your swing path form result as much as possible the same.

To ALL:

Again and again, I want you to read carefully my first post and answer it as complete as possible...even better if you can add an explanation on how you play, where you are from and course condition, etc.

It's not easy to answer your questions when the info is pretty much incomplete. Bare in mind, I deal number for a pro is not ideal for 20 hdcp.

Please!

Joe

Hi,

I am looking for a new driver shaft and this is what I have now.

Callaway fusion FT-3 10* neutral with Aldila NVS Stiff shaft.

My problem is that my drives land and just stick. In the summer months my drives roll about 3 yards. I am not hitting down on my drives either.

I am a 3 handicap and my Swing speed is 100-105 MPH. I would say I have a pretty smooth tempo. I hit it 240-270.

I am trying to get a ball flight that is mid trajectory and that I can get like 20 yards of roll out of.

Thanks for the help.

Hi,

I am looking for a new driver shaft and this is what I have now.

Callaway fusion FT-3 10* neutral with Aldila NVS Stiff shaft.

My problem is that my drives land and just stick. In the summer months my drives roll about 3 yards. I am not hitting down on my drives either.

I am a 3 handicap and my Swing speed is 100-105 MPH. I would say I have a pretty smooth tempo. I hit it 240-270.

I am trying to get a ball flight that is mid trajectory and that I can get like 20 yards of roll out of.

Thanks for the help.

Would you please read my first post first and try to read as much as possible most of the post here to understand what and how before you post your questions.

Thanks!

Joe

JCM96,

You might need both swing and club analise. If your swing is fine...you gonna need to move to a lower lofted driver with heavier stiffer shaft and higher kick point too. You probably have nan agressive swing too, right?

Your posts cease to amaze me. It's like you're looking into a crystal ball. I'm gonna set up a thorough fitting session and come back with numbers. But I'll definitely wait for your opinion before I pull the trigger on my next driver.

I went back to the HS9 X and it's holding me over for now.

• 2 weeks later...

Joey,

I'm hoping for some shaft advice. I've just bought a Tour Issued Superquad 9.5* head and am not sure what shaft to go with. I'm thinking of going with the VS Proto 65 S as I recently got good numbers with it in an MP600 9.5 head. I love the feel and think it'll complement the head well as it's not too low spin but I would like your thoughts.

1. What is the club existing set up?

TM R5 Tour Issue 10.5* Accuflex Creation 80 S flex 45"

2. What type of swinger are you?

Quick tempo

UK 11 (approx US 8-9 with the differences in the Hcp system). 6/10 Consistency (driving is my worst aspect)

I feel I only get the best out of this driver when I go after it.

SS: 98-102 mph

LA: 13.6-16

Ballspeed: 143-147

Spin: 2500-3100

Carry: 240-250 yds

Also, I was recently fitted for the Mizuno MP600 9.5 neutral weight setting and got these numbers with the VS Proto 65 S (the shaft i'm interested in).

As above but.......

LA: 14.5 avg

Spin: 2800 avg

Looking for more forgiveness, easier to swing well towards the end of the round, without losing distance

Standard length but 2* upright in irons

Is the VS Proto a good choice?

Thanks

Joey,

I'm hoping for some shaft advice. I've just bought a Tour Issued Superquad 9.5* head and am not sure what shaft to go with. I'm thinking of going with the VS Proto 65 S as I recently got good numbers with it in an MP600 9.5 head. I love the feel and think it'll complement the head well as it's not too low spin but I would like your thoughts.

1. What is the club existing set up?

TM R5 Tour Issue 10.5* Accuflex Creation 80 S flex 45"

2. What type of swinger are you?

Quick tempo

UK 11 (approx US 8-9 with the differences in the Hcp system). 6/10 Consistency (driving is my worst aspect)

I feel I only get the best out of this driver when I go after it.

SS: 98-102 mph

LA: 13.6-16

Ballspeed: 143-147

Spin: 2500-3100

Carry: 240-250 yds

Also, I was recently fitted for the Mizuno MP600 9.5 neutral weight setting and got these numbers with the VS Proto 65 S (the shaft i'm interested in).

As above but.......

LA: 14.5 avg

Spin: 2800 avg

Looking for more forgiveness, easier to swing well towards the end of the round, without losing distance

Standard length but 2* upright in irons

Is the VS Proto a good choice?

Thanks

Base on the info you gave me:

VS proto definitely not a bad choice! Might even want to consider NVS line to make sure your 9,5* have enough launch. You should've sticked by with 10.5* with mdhigh kick point if you have to IMO.

With a lower lofted head, you might want to make sure the kick point of the shaft will help you to lift the ball up...Unless if you think that you have a tendency on the higher side of it.

Good Luck!

Joe

Im looking to get my 3 wood reshafted that stock shaft in my nike sq2 is terrible i hit it very inconsistent with my ball flight. I want to hit the ball a little lower

my swing speed is 111

my tempo is regular

i want a good shaft that will be consistent

my handi is scratch. 9/10 swing consistancy

Not enough info for me to able to help!

I wish it would be that easy.

Joe

Base on the info you gave me:

VS proto definitely not a bad choice! Might even want to consider NVS line to make sure your 9,5* have enough launch. You should've sticked by with 10.5* with mdhigh kick point if you have to IMO.

With a lower lofted head, you might want to make sure the kick point of the shaft will help you to lift the ball up...Unless if you think that you have a tendency on the higher side of it.

Good Luck!

Joe

Thanks Joe,

The reason I went with the 9.5 is that i'd heard several reports that the superquad was higher launch than other TM drivers. Many people reporting that they had drop down in loft with this head. Also, I tried the MP600 in 10.5 with the VS Proto and got launch at 16.5 avg with spin at 3500 avg. I don't know how the Superquad compares to the MP600 in terms of spin but was concerned that the launch and spin would be too high in the superquad if I went to 10.5 like it was in the MP600. There is also the MWT to consider. I'll make sure to set it to the highest launch settings to keep the launch angle up.

I've hit the NVS before and had trouble controlling the spin and also the dispersion with this shaft. I think i'd prefer to give the VS Proto a go and hopefully the launch angle will be OK with the weights configured for high launch.

Thanks again. Great Info.

Hey guys I have problem with my current driver/shaft setup

My new driver is r7 460 TP 9.5* with REAX55TP S-Flex. My tempo is usually between smooth/quick. My handicap is 3 and my biggest problem has been inconsistent swing but lately I have been working my swing and it's already a lot better. The problem with 460 tp/reax is that it launches too high with too much of spin and I loose distance. My swingspeed with driver is between 102-108 mph. I don't know the spin rates but I guess it's between 3800-4000. I love the 460tp head but reax55tp is not the correct shaft. I would like to find a shaft with lower spin/launch and a bit heavier ( 65-78 grams)

price should be under 150 dollars!

any idea? could a pull speeder by titleist do the job?