Solo Bandon Trip?

The Pearl

I have been to Bandon several times, never as a single. As you stated, you enjoy playing with unfamiliar people so I don't see any issues. You might get lucky and get paired with people that have played the courses before, which is always helpful, a caddie helps your first time also. Personally, Bandon solo, is better than no Bandon at all. What time of year are you thinking of heading there?

[quote name='Cgmorri' timestamp='1359143562' post='6297567']
I have been to Bandon several times, never as a single. As you stated, you enjoy playing with unfamiliar people so I don't see any issues. You might get lucky and get paired with people that have played the courses before, which is always helpful, a caddie helps your first time also. Personally, Bandon solo, is better than no Bandon at all. What time of year are you thinking of heading there?
[/quote]

End of July, first part of August if I can get secure a spot.

My options at this point are go as a single or not at all. I have traveled with my spouse who is a non-golfer and have played many rounds just showing up as a single. It has always been a rewarding experience. I have no doubt there would be no more receptive place than Bandon to this approach.

I go there with my wife but she will only play about 1 or 2 rounds, so oftentimes I'm paired with other people I don't know. I've never had a bad experience and a few times I met other solo players. You may have to put up with differing skill levels but most everyone there is there to have a good time and spread good karma. During my last trip I was paired with two scratch golfers that, to put it mildly, liked to party. They were eager to share their indulgences with me and it was a greeeeaaaaat time. I shot my worst round of the trip that day, but I had fun doing it. You never know who you will meet and you may make a friend along the way. Also given that it is walking only you end up walking alone most of the time on the way to your ball.

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

I made a trip to bandon and played on my own while my wife stayed in the lodge and read. Of the 6 rounds I played in 2 days 4 of 6 were played as a single. Only one of the rounds was a bit of a drag. My first round was at Pacific Dunes. I was the third group out as a single and followed two groups of 4 and had a group of 4 behind me...less than ideal if you can imagine.

I stayed at the resort and booked like 5 months in advance. If you were walking up as a single I figure they would pair you up. I'm thinking about going up in march as a single and staying in town with tee times made less than 30 days out.

[quote name='act0fgod' timestamp='1359270552' post='6306973']
I made a trip to bandon and played on my own while my wife stayed in the lodge and read. Of the 6 rounds I played in 2 days 4 of 6 were played as a single. Only one of the rounds was a bit of a drag. My first round was at Pacific Dunes. I was the third group out as a single and followed two groups of 4 and had a group of 4 behind me...less than ideal if you can imagine.

I stayed at the resort and booked like 5 months in advance. If you were walking up as a single I figure they would pair you up. I'm thinking about going up in march as a single and staying in town with tee times made less than 30 days out.
[/quote]

When did you make your trip? I would imagine there would be less of a chance of playing as a solo in the July/August time frame, but maybe that is a false assumption.

[quote name='The Pearl' timestamp='1359308007' post='6308703']
[quote name='act0fgod' timestamp='1359270552' post='6306973']

[/quote]

When did you make your trip? I would imagine there would be less of a chance of playing as a solo in the July/August time frame, but maybe that is a false assumption.
[/quote]
End of June.

I've gone 2x as a single and love it. Been paired up with some great groups and some duds. Took a caddy and had Bandon Trails to the caddy and myself, no one in front of me for an hour and the group behind was a 4 some that imdidn't see after the 3rd hole.

I love going by myself. Wife goes with me every other year.

• 4 months later...

Just went as a single (my first trip to Bandon), and I can confidently say that you should absolutely go! I went in April (see trip report in this forum) and had a blast. Played most of my rounds solo (4 out of 6), but could have gotten paired up if I really wanted. The guys I was paired up with were like me and so stoked just to be there that there was nothing but great energy all around.

I was in the same situation as you - none of my regular buddies could afford to the $ and/or time to make the trip, and I just got tired of waiting for everyone else to get their sh*t together, so I went on my own. SO glad I did.

Might go a little earlier next time (late Feb/early March), as it's a good bit cheaper and the weather isn't that much worse. Probably won't be able to swing an annual trip, but every two or three years, for sure.

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

• 5 years later...

^Really depends when you go out - heck even being a twosome can be 'awkward' pacing wise, if there are a bunch of 4-8 person groups around you.

Popping out right after the rain or early morning would be best. Not to sound too snobby, but the Punchbowl can get a bit on the I-don't-know-how-to-say-it-without-getting-filtered side of things when you get bigger groups liquored up just smashing the ball all over the place, as it's obviously a good money spinner for their F&B operations, but it's nothing like Himalayas in St. Andrews.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

> @duffer987 said:

> ^Really depends when you go out - heck even being a twosome can be 'awkward' pacing wise, if there are a bunch of 4-8 person groups around you.

> Popping out right after the rain or early morning would be best. Not to sound too snobby, but the Punchbowl can get a bit on the I-don't-know-how-to-say-it-without-getting-filtered side of things when you get bigger groups liquored up just smashing the ball all over the place, as it's obviously a good money spinner for their F&B operations, but it's nothing like Himalayas in St. Andrews.

>

The Preserve can get like that as well. Mostly in the evenings. I get the premise, but both can get a lot like a frat party at times.

Reaching out to this community and playing with someone will be so much more satisfying. I played bandon and honestly didn't know the importance of this course before the round. I knew it was going to be nice but I didn't know of its cult status. It was an absolute experience, up there with tripping on mushrooms! The insane winds made it nearly unplayable but we kept pushing and made it through as a group. My face was so burned from the wind and sun it peeled 2 days later!

> @spud3 said:

> > @duffer987 said:

> > ^Really depends when you go out - heck even being a twosome can be 'awkward' pacing wise, if there are a bunch of 4-8 person groups around you.

> > Popping out right after the rain or early morning would be best. Not to sound too snobby, but the Punchbowl can get a bit on the I-don't-know-how-to-say-it-without-getting-filtered side of things when you get bigger groups liquored up just smashing the ball all over the place, as it's obviously a good money spinner for their F&B operations, but it's nothing like Himalayas in St. Andrews.

> >

>

> The Preserve can get like that as well. Mostly in the evenings. I get the premise, but both can get a lot like a frat party at times.

I'm not saying I want to strap a keg to a ricksha. But I want to strap an IPA keg to a ricksha and hit the Preserve with about 2 16somes.

I'm totally okay (guilty) with players getting a bit trashed at The Preserve and Punchbowl. That's part of what makes Bandon so appealing, the freedom to get a little crazy. The energy is very positive and good natured. At least that's what I've seen. As long as players are respecting the game on the main courses I'm okay with some insanity elsewhere. BTW- not saying anyone here has a problem with players getting loose.

G400 LST 8.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 14.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 19, 22, Tour 85 stiff
T100s, 5-gw, AMT White S200
Vokey, SM7, 54S, 58M
Never Compromise Portofino

I'm arriving to Bandon on Monday for my first time. Right now I'm surprisingly only level 7 out of 10 on an excited level. I thought I would be at 9.5 right now. Maybe when it gets to Sunday evening I'll be at that level. I probably was more excited right after I booked the trip back in August. Anyways, enough with the Emo stuff. Here's the plan (going solo).

Monday arrive via Eugene Airport:

Check in around Noon

Practice Center

Shortys

Reserve

Punchbowl

Tues:

Bandon – AM

Pacific – PM

Wed:

Old Mac -AM

Trails – PM

Thurs:

Pacific – AM

Bandon – PM

Fri:

Trails -AM

Depart

Thanks everyone on these boards for the tips and stories. I'm looking forward to live Bandon and report back.

> @bird206 said:

> Right now I'm surprisingly only level 7 out of 10 on an excited level. I thought I would be at 9.5 right now. Maybe when it gets to Sunday evening I'll be at that level. I probably was more excited right after I booked the trip back in August.

>

Does not compute. I am essentially non-functioning other than the most basic tasks necessary for survival and checking the course cameras.

We will be arriving just as you leave. Have a great time . . . the weather is looking pretty good for you.

> @Kernel said:

> > @bird206 said:

> > Right now I'm surprisingly only level 7 out of 10 on an excited level. I thought I would be at 9.5 right now. Maybe when it gets to Sunday evening I'll be at that level. I probably was more excited right after I booked the trip back in August.

> >

>

> Does not compute. I am essentially non-functioning other than the most basic tasks necessary for survival and checking the course cameras.

>

> We will be arriving just as you leave. Have a great time . . . the weather is looking pretty good for you.

I had the same roller coaster as Bird. The 3-4 days before, I actually mellowed, probably as a result of being super amped 7-10 days out. Started coming back to earth and doubting if it could possibly live up to expectations. But by the morning I got on my flight I was off the charts again. Enjoy, everyone.

> @duffer987 said:

> ^Really depends when you go out - heck even being a twosome can be 'awkward' pacing wise, if there are a bunch of 4-8 person groups around you.

> Popping out right after the rain or early morning would be best. Not to sound too snobby, but the Punchbowl can get a bit on the I-don't-know-how-to-say-it-without-getting-filtered side of things when you get bigger groups liquored up just smashing the ball all over the place, as it's obviously a good money spinner for their F&B operations, but it's nothing like Himalayas in St. Andrews.

>

I was there the same time as a college tournament and the day they all descended on the PB I had no interest. It was just too much testosterone or something lol. As a single I actually really just had fun going around one afternoon during a lull. It was me, a young boy and his dad and 2-3 other people. Bar was just opening and I was tempted but had my flask and they didn’t seem to mind. I can totally see it being a rip roaring time with a group. As a single I’d say by the end of a round with strangers I would have been comfortable if we all went together had the timing worked out. But trying to join a group on the fly, not my personality at all.

> @bird206 said:

> I'm arriving to Bandon on Monday for my first time. Right now I'm surprisingly only level 7 out of 10 on an excited level. I thought I would be at 9.5 right now. Maybe when it gets to Sunday evening I'll be at that level. I probably was more excited right after I booked the trip back in August. Anyways, enough with the Emo stuff. Here's the plan (going solo).

>

> Monday arrive via Eugene Airport:

> Check in around Noon

> Practice Center

> Shortys

> Reserve

> Punchbowl

>

> Tues:

> Bandon – AM

> Pacific – PM

>

> Wed:

> Old Mac -AM

> Trails – PM

>

> Thurs:

> Pacific – AM

> Bandon – PM

>

> Fri:

> Trails -AM

> Depart

>

> Thanks everyone on these boards for the tips and stories. I'm looking forward to live Bandon and report back.

>

Have an awesome time! I’m a caddie out here, so if you have any last minute questions, hit me up :)

Looking forward to your report and seeing which one is your favorite!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am starting to think that I might be in the same boat. I am trying my hardest to get a couple of my buddies to make this trip with me. I live in Central California. I send a couple of them videos, and pictures and tell them that we need to plan it. But I get a couple different responses. One wants to drop money to play Pebble, Spyglass and Spanish Bay and the other one doesn't really like to drive far for golf, had a sweet set up for Poppy Hills a few years back, and told him to meet me and I'd drive, and he said he would rather pass, and lay grass. SMH!

Anyways, I've been buttering up my wife, and showing her videos and pictures and explaining her this golf/life altering trip and what this place is and what it means to me. So, she's becoming a fan and loves the idea of the ocean side golf. So we will see where it turns out in the coming year or two!

TaylorMade M5 9* Hzrdus Smoke 70g 6.5 
TaylorMade M6 3w Hzrdus Smoke 70g 6.5
Taylormade P790 UDI Hzrdus Smoke 106.5g 6.5
TaylorMade P760 KBS C-Taper 4-AW X-Stiff +1/2"
TaylorMade Milled Grind Chrome 52* 
TaylorMade Milled Grind Chrome 56*
TaylorMade Milled Grind Chrome 60*
[color=#ff0000]Scotty Cameron[/color] Newport 2 35"

They may be your buddies, but they aren't golfers if they don't want to make the dead easy trip from Central Cal to the Oregon Coast.

And that's fair enough, not everyone needs to be keen about golf, but really just take a Fri-Mon or Mon-Tues off to get 4 days on property with the potential to get in 6-7 rounds and that's a great way to see everything Bandon has to offer.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

> @duffer987 said:

> They may be your buddies, but they aren't golfers if they don't want to make the dead easy trip from Central Cal to the Oregon Coast.

> And that's fair enough, not everyone needs to be keen about golf, but really just take a Fri-Mon or Mon-Tues off to get 4 days on property with the potential to get in 6-7 rounds and that's a great way to see everything Bandon has to offer.

+1

Your buddies are not as into it as you are. Cool. I was in the same boat. It isn't rocket science.

Just go.

> @CenCalGolfer said:

> I am starting to think that I might be in the same boat. I am trying my hardest to get a couple of my buddies to make this trip with me. I live in Central California. I send a couple of them videos, and pictures and tell them that we need to plan it. But I get a couple different responses. One wants to drop money to play Pebble, Spyglass and Spanish Bay and the other one doesn't really like to drive far for golf, had a sweet set up for Poppy Hills a few years back, and told him to meet me and I'd drive, and he said he would rather pass, and lay grass. SMH!

> Anyways, I've been buttering up my wife, and showing her videos and pictures and explaining her this golf/life altering trip and what this place is and what it means to me. So, she's becoming a fan and loves the idea of the ocean side golf. So we will see where it turns out in the coming year or two!

>

I had this exact issue.... my buddies had no issues with trips to Florida or to Myrtle Beach but when i recommended Bandon... they had plenty of reasons not to go. To them, golf was the second reason to go on the trip and their biggest reasons to go were to get away from the significant other and kids. I started talking to my fiancé, sending her photos, videos of Bandon and she convinced me to bite the bullet and go. She has even offered to tag along and help push the cart or carry the bag if i decide to forgo a caddy. Cant beat that offer and we are heading out this fall. Can't wait to spend 5 days there and soak in the experience.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.5* HZRDUS Smoke 70X
Titleist 917F2 15* Diamana D+ 80x
Mizuno MP18 SC 3-PW KBS C Taper S+
Muira Wedge Series 51* 55* 59* KBS C Taper S
Toulon Portland H3
Srixon Z-Star XV / Snell MTB-X

I’m getting the same response from my buddies. Thinking about going solo this year

PING G430 max 9° Ventus black 6x 
PING  G430 max 15º Ventus blue 7x

PING  G430 19º Ventus blue HB 9x

PING i230 4-AW PX 6.0

Vokey SM7 56.10° DGS400

Vokey SM7 60.04° DGS400

PING Ketsch 

"I still wear full spikes so people know when I show up to the course, I am there to ball out."-Bigmean

Love trolling Bandon Sand Valley Streamsong threads & am always anxious to read them ... may sound crazy but might be able to get 4 wrxers to commit if you pick some dates ... im considering solo to Wisconsin this summer & have inquired at Bandon but just never can pull trigger to go alone ... prob wouldnt happen but might be worth a shot?

All you guys who are beating your head against the wall trying to get your buddies to go:

My story was exactly like yours. I was the only one excited enough and tried for years to get my regular playing partners (some of my best friends, actually) to go and there was _always_ a reason not to. Got fed up and went by myself, even though I was really worried that I would stick out as a loner who couldn't get anyone to to play. I could not have been more wrong. I had the time of my life (and wrote in this forum about it repeatedly). So much so that I continued going by myself for several more years. I've found a great group of players now (through WRX, thanks very much) and love what is becoming a regular visit with those guys.

**But I actually enjoy coming solo enough that I do that also every year.**

There are quite a few trip reports of folks who have gone solo. Every one of them starts out like "I was really nervous and thought it would be weird" and ends with "I can't believe I was worried about going solo!"

You will be like that, too.