Washington State Golf Course Reports

FlyFish

June 7th....Jackson Park.....1st time playing it since almost two decades. i was impressed with the makeover done to few of the holes. it has become a very fun little track. green speed is rolling 10 to 10.5.

June 8th Harbour Pointe....good conditon overall. green speed is over par for HP standards. I was disappointed with green speed. 9.5 to 10 stimp.

Gold Mountain- both courses last Friday. Both courses are great, Cascade is much more forgiving in the roughs. Olympic was just so thick and it was still a little wet when I got out at around 8:30.

Maplewood Monday- solid conditions but SO SLOW. Played 9 in about 2:45 on a weekday! But the pro shop gave me a 9&9 voucher.

Titleist TS2 9.5
Titleist 917 F2 15*
Titleist 913 19*
Adams CMB 3-P X100
Vokey SM6 52* & 58*
Nike Method 006

[quote name='Ben Tang' timestamp='1370975833' post='7215470']
Gold Mountain- both courses last Friday. Both courses are great, Cascade is much more forgiving in the roughs. Olympic was just so thick and it was still a little wet when I got out at around 8:30.

Maplewood Monday- solid conditions but SO SLOW. Played 9 in about 2:45 on a weekday! But the pro shop gave me a 9&9 voucher.
[/quote]

That a boy Maplewood!

Played North Bellingham on the weekend. Fairways in great shape, greens good, could be a tad faster. The fescue/ rough is very high, so keep on the fairways!

Callaway Rogue Max LS Driver, 9 degrees, Tensei Blue shaft

Mizuno ST180 5 wood

Ping G425 Max 7 wood
Srixon ZX4 4 iron
Srixon ZX5 irons 5-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 shafts

Cleveland RTX6 48* wedge

Cleveland Zipcore 54* wedge
Cleveland RTX 58* full face wedge
Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter 34"

I played West Seattle on Saturday (18 holes) and Sunday in the Club Championship (36 holes). The course was in super shape, but it's a beast from the black tees, especially with the wind blowing. The greens have steadily improved in the last month and are now in top shape. Be careful when putting downhill!

Note: made the 18-hole cut in medal play, got smoked in the afternoon 1st round match play. Oh, well!

Callaway Mavrik 10.5* HZRDS 6.0 55g
Cobra BioCell 3w PXi S
Callaway Mavrik 20* Catalyst 65 5.5

Callaway Mavrik 5h 23* Catalyst 65 5.5
Titleist DCI 962 2-PW DG S300
Cleveland 588 54*, Callaway PM Grind 58*
Cameron Mil-Spec 

I play the Yakima Elks Golf Course about 5 days a week. The course right now is in great shape and the weather is even better. Small greens and narrow fairways. Anybody in the area that wants to play, hit me up.

Played Apple Tree last night also. Big greens and usually pretty wet as they like to water it a lot. Was actually in very nice shape and the greens were rolling very true. Not as fast as I've seen in the past, but still pretty good.

Played Mt Adams down in Toppenish last weekend and those greens are always in nice shape. Very tree lined for those that haven't played it and not too expensive.

But the real gem is Tumble Creek at Suncadia. This has to be the nicest course I've played anywhere. The conditions are perfect. We played it a week before the US Open Qualifier and played it from the tips. The fairways are like tee boxes at most nice courses and you can literally putt from 20-40 feet off the green. They were rolling about 12.5-13 when we were there and they said they were gonna try to get them a little faster. The weather was low 80's with a very very slight breeze which is really unusual. Played with a former US Open local qualifier winner which made it even more fun. I've played Tumble about 4-5 times now and it just keeps getting better. A definite must if you are in the area.

[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][b][i]Ping G400 - 9*[/i]
[i]Ping G30 - 17*[/i][/b]
[b][i]Ping G400 - 19*[/i]
[i]Ping G30 - 22*[/i][/b]
[b][i]Ping G30 - 25*[/i]
[i]TaylorMade P790 Custom Black Finish - 6-GW - Steel Fiber i95 shaft[/i]
[i]Cleveland RTX-4 - 54 and 58 [/i]
[i]Scotty Cameron "Joker" X5 34" with 20g Joker weights[/i][/b][/font]

Nobody plays there... but Glen Eagle was good today. I got in 36 in 5 hours riding. Greens are in great shape (no idea about stimp) and play with decent speed. Sand was horrible. There are some drainage issues in the sand traps. They may not be on par (hehe) with alot of the courses being mentioned in this thread, but if you are in the Arlington area it is a tight challenging course that plays well!

Callaway Rogue ST Max - Tensei AV White - 8*
Taylormade M3 HL - MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP - 4-G - Recoil 95 S - 2* upright

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

Odyssey OWorks 2ball  -  34" - 1* loft - 71* lie
Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*

WITB Link

[quote name='SemperFi91' timestamp='1371009649' post='7219846']
But the real gem is Tumble Creek at Suncadia. This has to be the nicest course I've played anywhere. The conditions are perfect. We played it a week before the US Open Qualifier and played it from the tips. The fairways are like tee boxes at most nice courses and you can literally putt from 20-40 feet off the green. They were rolling about 12.5-13 when we were there and they said they were gonna try to get them a little faster. The weather was low 80's with a very very slight breeze which is really unusual. Played with a former US Open local qualifier winner which made it even more fun. I've played Tumble about 4-5 times now and it just keeps getting better. A definite must if you are in the area.
[/quote]

Anyone play Prospector? I just got a tee time and they said the course is still in tourney condition w/ expectation of the women's US Open qualifier event in a couple days.

TM M1 460 10.5° .::. MRC Tensei CK Blue 6S
Adams XTD Ti 15° .::. Matrix 7Q3 S
TM R15 Black 19° .::. Fujikura Motore Speeder 8.1 S (tipped 2")
Bridgestone Airmuscle 2i 19° .::. PX HD2
Tourstage X Blade 709 CB 4i .::. Nippon Modus 3 125S tipped 1/2"
Tourstage X Blade 909 Ltd 5-PW .::. Nippon Modus 3 125S tipped 1/2"
Bridgestone J15 Black Ox 52°/58° .::. DG Onyx S400
Piretti 'Tour Only' Cortino II w/ Matrix U11-P01 Proto
Piretti 'Cortino LN' Long Neck Tour Ltd
Piretti Teramo CS
Bridgestone *B* Tour 330
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1059465-bpark1210-witb-bridgestone-pic-heavy/page__pid__9832393#entry9832393"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='bpark1210' timestamp='1371061403' post='7223734']
[/quote]

Anyone play Prospector? I just got a tee time and they said the course is still in tourney condition w/ expectation of the women's US Open qualifier event in a couple days.
[/quote]

I've played Prospector about 40 times over the past 4 years. Great layout with tree lined fairways, lots of deep bunkers, hard fast greens. Ten is a drivable par 4 (steep downhill hole). Usually you'll see some deer running around the edges of the fairways and are pretty people friendly. There's a house on the left side of the 13th tee box that has an outdoor beer keg where you can take your cup and fill it up with whatever is on tap for a small donation. :drinks: Super nice guy that lives there also.

[b][i]Ping G30 - 25*[/i]

[quote name='SemperFi91' timestamp='1371174078' post='7236322']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I've played Prospector about 40 times over the past 4 years. Great layout with tree lined fairways, lots of deep bunkers, hard fast greens. Ten is a drivable par 4 (steep downhill hole). Usually you'll see some deer running around the edges of the fairways and are pretty people friendly. There's a house on the left side of the 13th tee box that has an outdoor beer keg where you can take your cup and fill it up with whatever is on tap for a small donation. :drinks: Super nice guy that lives there also.
[/quote]

I should clarify, anybody play prospector recently since the US Open qualifier? My playing group is really hoping for lightning fast greens and tourney conditions. We get bored with the usual courses sometimes and look forward to the punishment . . er I mean challenge. I saw the report on Tumble but wanted to know if Prospector was still holding up. As I understand the qualifier was spread between both Tumble and Prospector.

Piretti Teramo CS
Bridgestone *B* Tour 330
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1059465-bpark1210-witb-bridgestone-pic-heavy/page__pid__9832393#entry9832393"]WITB Link[/url]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Well said about Prospector and the beer guy. I do have to question your comment on number 10 though...drivable? I have played it maybe 12 times and that hole is into the wind every time but once or twice. The wind is so strong standing on that tee box (top tee box)) that you feel like you could take off if you had a flying squirrel suit on!

I would drive all the way up there and give you 10/1 odds on driving a legal ball onto that green with no wind, 20/1 into the wind, and 5/1 down wind from the top tee box and we could stand there all day if you liked. Not calling you out, but it would be worth it just to see it done based on what I have seen on that hole.

[/quote][quote name='SemperFi91' timestamp='1371174078' post='7236322']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[quote name='TheMackDaddy' timestamp='1371007335' post='7219600']
I'm playing Chambers this weekend as a father's day gift to my dad... Should be awesome. On a different note, JUNIORS ARE FREE at Chambers every Sunday with a paid adult!!!! I'll split the cost with someone for a sunset or super sunset rate sometime if anyone is interested.
[/quote]

i'd be willing to do that. you sure the offer includes sunset or super sunset rate?

[quote name='twixster888' timestamp='1371274335' post='7247144']
[quote name='TheMackDaddy' timestamp='1371007335' post='7219600']
I'm playing Chambers this weekend as a father's day gift to my dad... Should be awesome. On a different note, JUNIORS ARE FREE at Chambers every Sunday with a paid adult!!!! I'll split the cost with someone for a sunset or super sunset rate sometime if anyone is interested.
[/quote]

i'd be willing to do that. you sure the offer includes sunset or super sunset rate?
[/quote]
Yup.. Super sunset is $30/$30 if we split it!

[quote name='bpark1210' timestamp='1371184223' post='7237752']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I should clarify, anybody play prospector recently since the US Open qualifier? My playing group is really hoping for lightning fast greens and tourney conditions. We get bored with the usual courses sometimes and look forward to the punishment . . er I mean challenge. I saw the report on Tumble but wanted to know if Prospector was still holding up. As I understand the qualifier was spread between both Tumble and Prospector.
[/quote]

We just played Tumble Creek yesterday for a Rotary Club scramble. The course is in amazing shape right now a week after that qualifier. You would not be disappointed. I do not believe that the qualifier was spread between the two courses. I think that the Prospector course is an easier track and open to the public which means it's not as in pristine shape like TC. Last year, they played Rope Rider (the new 18 hole course) for the first round of the Open qualifier and then some course down in Oregon for the second round.

And I do believe that the tee box on #10 at Prospector is almost always into the wind. I personally am not a long ball hitter (I mean, I carry 4 hybrids right now). I have seen that green hit in one many times before from people I regularly play with.

[b][i]Ping G30 - 25*[/i]

[quote name='flip_rome' timestamp='1370547172' post='7183612']
Has anyone played Kayak Point recently? It's been years since I've been there. Looking to maybe play there soon.
[/quote]

Ive played at Kayak twice this year, right after they punched the greens and a bit before. Both times, dry conditions for the most part, greens had rough, bare spots (it's been a couple of months at this point so hopefully they grew in).

I love this layout so will be looking to get to it soon as well.

Played Kayak this past Sun 06.09, the fairways were dry but soggy in places where water would collect. Pretty typical for Kayak since they have no drainage.

The greens were a big disappointment, rolled like you were putting on fly paper. They let it grow out a little too much and are in desperate need of rolling them firm. They felt spongy, it did rain the week before we played but still over saturated even w 2 days of sun prior to us heading out there. I would say they rolled slower than most of the Seattle Muni's around a 7-8.

I don't plan to make the trip up there again until we start baking in the summer sun. It's just not as good as I remember it to be with firm greens and tight driving.

Piretti Teramo CS
Bridgestone *B* Tour 330

Newcastle - China Creek

Fairways firm, rough grown up a bit. No standing water. Nice sand in the bunkers. Some of the greens were unacceptably bumpy.

As an aside, who on Earth would play full price ($125) to play this course? I don't get some of the architectural decisions that went into the design of this course. Some holes playing uphill when they would have been much better playing downhill, several approach shots where you can't see the green, average conditioning. They must survive on foreign tourism dollars.

Not to mention that it's distracting on the tee box when kids are bouncing basketballs in the neighborhood next door and dogs are barking. There's one left-to-right hole where they lined houses down the right side. I'm sure every bad slicer that plays this hole nails those houses!! Nice views on the back nine though.

[quote name='FlyFish' timestamp='1371364437' post='7253250']
Newcastle - China Creek

Fairways firm, rough grown up a bit. No standing water. Nice sand in the bunkers. Some of the greens were unacceptably bumpy.

As an aside, who on Earth would play full price ($125) to play this course? I don't get some of the architectural decisions that went into the design of this course. Some holes playing uphill when they would have been much better playing downhill, several approach shots where you can't see the green, average conditioning. [b]They must survive on Asian tourists. [/b]

Not to mention that it's distracting on the tee box when kids are bouncing basketballs in the neighborhood next door and dogs are barking. There's one left-to-right hole where they lined houses down the right side. I'm sure every bad slicer that plays this hole nails those houses!! Nice views on the back nine though.
[/quote]

Thank god for those Asian tourist, cause you know they all come to Seattle to play Newcastle.

Not sure what you meant by that comment but it sounds a little prejudiced.

As for paying full price i don't know anyone in my circle of friends that have. You can play twilight there w/ the Oki card for $20. I've played the course multiple times and used to work w/ one of the teaching pros there. It's a great track for what it was but agree the quality in greens is not worth the full greens fee.

Piretti Teramo CS
Bridgestone *B* Tour 330

Why on Earth would you think that comment is prejudiced? As I'm sure that you've seen, many wealthy Asians (presumably more so than other continents) travel to the west coast to go on golf vacations and spend good money playing courses here for the first time. A business that relies on this trade would not have to worry about getting repeat business from these customers as they probably won't be back anyways. The general consensus seems to be that that these courses are overpriced, so I would wager a guess that it's not the locals paying these green fees as anybody who can afford $165 rounds would join a private club.

Newcastle is full of Asian tourists paying full price, excluding the Oki card. Whenever I've played there, there's been huge groups of Asian golfers...not local Asians, but Asian tourists from Asia. We are too damn PC. The Oki card is the only way to go at Newcastle.
[quote name='bpark1210' timestamp='1371369994' post='7253354']
Newcastle - China Creek

As an aside, who on Earth would play full price ($125) to play this course? I don't get some of the architectural decisions that went into the design of this course. Some holes playing uphill when they would have been much better playing downhill, several approach shots where you can't see the green, average conditioning. [b]They must survive on Asian tourists. [/b]

[/quote]

Thank god for those Asian tourist, cause you know they all come to Seattle to play Newcastle.

As for paying full price i don't know anyone in my circle of friends that have. You can play twilight there w/ the Oki card for $20. I've played the course multiple times and used to work w/ one of the teaching pros there. It's a great track for what it was but agree the quality in greens is not worth the full greens fee.
[/quote]

PING G425 9* Tour 65 X - PING G400 Stretch 13* HZRDUS Yellow - PING G425 17* Hybrid Tour 85 X
PING I210 4-U Project X 6.5 - PING Glide 2.0 Stealth 55 & 60* Project X 6.0
PING VALOR CB 35"

I played Newcastle, Coal Creek several weeks ago at full price (sorta, Oki $50 pass card), I paid $120-ish on a Satuday morning. The $45 savings by using the Oki card more than made it worth the new adventure. I hit the ball pretty long (compared to the avg joe, maybe not some of you bombers on wrx) and we had a breeze that day that just seemed to hit you in the face on every hole. We played the Championship tees and I wasn't impressed on how often I had 175+ into long par 4 with oddly shaped greens. I certainly had my lunch money taken from me and I'll likely man-down and play from 6000 yards next time.

Beautiful course, pretty nice layout, I just felt the hit on the wallet vs the playability of the course were not even close to appropriate. I will play it again though just to give the course another play before passing final judgment.

[quote name='bpark1210' timestamp='1371369994' post='7253354']
Newcastle - China Creek

[/quote]

[/quote]

I could only read this one way myself, like you.

Newcastle is soooo overrated price wise. I have a range plan and yes it is pricey to say the least, but if you use it like I do, especially in the winter months and use the back range areas in the summer months it is fairly priced. One needs to hit 2 buckets per week to balance it out and I hit much more.

As for the course, I would driver up the lane and see people on Coal and say, you must be kidding me that people are out there for that price. Fact is, "most" on Coal are members and pay about $68 per round with their montly plans. $68 with a cart and range balls, free coffee and apple is not "that" bad, but to much for me still.

Love the overall facility, but I rarely play there period and it is the closest course to my house.

Went on a mini tour of eastern wa courses a couple weeks ago.
Played Apple tree on day one. Nice but real wet fairways. They had some rain the days before, so it's understandable. I like the place and yes I dunked my first ball on 17. Pin was front right and I under clubbed it.
Played Wine Valley on day two. Windy would be an understatement but it was all good but around and on the greens. Dirt bunkers for a round that sets one back $95 plus tax? The speed of the greens with that much undulation is ridiculous. If they want to call this place a links course at least lay it out so you can run the ball up to the green. You can't really play this course like that. Slow the greens down a bit and we might want to come back. They were probably running at 14 or 15. A decent 50 dollar round but no more than that.
Palouse Ridge on day three. Nasty windy rainy weather back what a nice place. I like pretty much everything about it and I'm a Husky.
Circling Raven on day four. Pretty nice resort style course. A little gimmicky but that's expected. I'd go there again. Nice condition.
Moses Pointe on the last day. Another great track although their rough mower was broken down, making the rough a "hack it out of 50 yards" max. I like the place and will certainly revisit. Nice greens and fairways.

[quote name='ayotte2' timestamp='1371439449' post='7260500']
Played Apple tree on day one. Nice but real wet fairways. They had some rain the days before, so it's understandable. I like the place and yes I dunked my first ball on 17. Pin was front right and I under clubbed it.
Played Wine Valley on day two. Windy would be an understatement but it was all good but around and on the greens. Dirt bunkers for a round that sets one back $95 plus tax? The speed of the greens with that much undulation is ridiculous. If they want to call this place a links course at least lay it out so you can run the ball up to the green. You can't really play this course like that. Slow the greens down a bit and we might want to come back. They were probably running at 14 or 15. A decent 50 dollar round but no more than that.
Palouse Ridge on day three. Nasty windy rainy weather back what a nice place. I like pretty much everything about it and I'm a Husky.
Circling Raven on day four. Pretty nice resort style course. A little gimmicky but that's expected. I'd go there again. Nice condition.
Moses Pointe on the last day. Another great track although their rough mower was broken down, making the rough a "hack it out of 50 yards" max. I like the place and will certainly revisit. Nice greens and fairways.
[/quote]

Love Apple Tree and Moses Point is nice also....nice trip....to bad weather was not great

[quote name='ayotte2' timestamp='1371439449' post='7260500']
[/quote]
Wine Valley is my favorite course in Washington! The greens are really tough and require a ton of strategy.

Played Prospector on Sunday June 16th. 1pm rate was $60 w/ cart and grass range time. In anticipation of the course being setup for the Pro-Am on Monday and being just finished w/ the men's US Open qualifier the greens were a little slow than expected. They still rolled around 11-12 but nothing crazy like 14 we were hoping for. It was in great shape overall. Some wet spots on fairways but the greens were rolling so true. Sunday pins were in very accesable areas. The wind was brutal on the back nine and started to rain for 2 holes. Nothing like mountain golf in the PNW where it can be sunny and 75 degrees then turn on you in less than 10 minutes to 25mph gusts/rain/clouds and revert back to sunshine.

Best part no one else was out there and my foursome cruised the course in less than 3:45 minutes even stopping for the cart lady 3X's. The service was top notch as always and they are on point here. Nothing like a resort course atmoshpere for just pennies above a local muni track fee.

Piretti Teramo CS
Bridgestone *B* Tour 330