Tour Tempo - A Short (long) Story

[quote name='parmark' timestamp='1371695163' post='7286972']
Golf clap. Like you I tried this, got frustrated and said the heck with it. I'll have to revisit this little baby.

Thanks for sharing. Good stuff. Did you make the birdie on 18 is what I want to know!?
[/quote]

Thanks for reading, I really appreciate it and good question. I hit a PW to about 15-18 feet. Putt got to the hole and actually rolled back an inch. I didn't hit it hard enough but there was also a little hump around the entire hole. Ended up shooting an 84. My putting was horrible, with 37 putts.

Also, I've never had a ranger rush me like that. I was pissed.

I'm a relative beginner, and started using Tour Tempo after reading the book over the winter. I started right off with the 24/8 tones, which was actually much slower than my swing. No wonder my friends said I looked like I was trying to kill the ball! I'm not a long hitter by any means, but after a large bucket of a 6 iron just trying to ingrain that tempo, my average distance with that club went from 125 to 145-150. I haven't tried it with the driver yet, as that beast is nothing but a slice machine for me. Just trying to really ingrain the feel of the smooth tempo and transition, along with the 78 other swing thoughts I have from reading too many threads online.

I played really well for a while after reading Tour Tempo. The only problem is I would still get in modes where I hit my dreaded pulls or pull-draws. Other than that it allowed me to play some really good golf. Eventually I moved on to a more pivot driven swing (less conscious use of arms and hands). I still recommend Tour Tempo to people though. Great method. Below is a link to a review I wrote on Amazon (January 2, 2006):

[url="http://www.amazon.com/Tour-Tempo-Secret-Finally-Revealed/product-reviews/0385509278/ref=sr_1_1_cm_cr_acr_txt/192-7905616-7275648?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1"]http://www.amazon.com/Tour-Tempo-Secret-Finally-Revealed/product-reviews/0385509278/ref=sr_1_1_cm_cr_acr_txt/192-7905616-7275648?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1[/url]

[quote name='tngolf22' timestamp='1371739446' post='7289798']
I played really well for a while after reading Tour Tempo. The only problem is I would still get in modes where I hit my dreaded pulls or pull-draws. Other than that it allowed me to play some really good golf. Eventually I moved on to a more pivot driven swing (less conscious use of arms and hands). I still recommend Tour Tempo to people though. Great method. Below is a link to a review I wrote on Amazon (January 2, 2006):

[url="http://www.amazon.com/Tour-Tempo-Secret-Finally-Revealed/product-reviews/0385509278/ref=sr_1_1_cm_cr_acr_txt/192-7905616-7275648?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1"]http://www.amazon.co...howViewpoints=1[/url]
[/quote]

Love the review. I don't think it is going to cure all swing flaws but get you more into swinging with a good, solid tempo without a lot of thoughts pre-swing which can sometimes throw you into fits of 20 swing thoughts. I find that the less I think and the more I concentrate on tempo, the better I seem to hit the ball.

I bought all the Tour Tempo stuff and was pretty disappointed. I started with short clubs and no ball for about a week or two before even trying it on the range.

I did feel an immediate increase in clubhead speed however I felt this was due to shortening the backswing more than anything else. (Anticipating the tone made me shorten my swing), and that's what I credited the higher swing speed to. However I did not like how I was hitting the ball. So I gave up on it.

I'm glad you had a good go with it. It's something I may try again, but to be fair, I haven't heard too many long term success stories with it. I have found most people are like me and gave it up. I bought the whole kit too... DVD's, ear device, book, etc. I'd love to find some real success with the device!

i like alot of tour tempo's stuff but have never really got down to applying it. i think there are generally on to something good. was watching horschell on weekend and seems like he has superfast tempo.

i am skeptical of some of their analysis though.

i would much rather have some software/service where your driving range swings can be analyzed for tempo as opposed to listening to tones.

[quote name='ColinMB' timestamp='1371748230' post='7291002']
I bought all the Tour Tempo stuff and was pretty disappointed. I started with short clubs and no ball for about a week or two before even trying it on the range.

I did feel an immediate increase in clubhead speed however I felt this was due to shortening the backswing more than anything else. (Anticipating the tone made me shorten my swing), and that's what I credited the higher swing speed to. However I did not like how I was hitting the ball. So I gave up on it.

I'm glad you had a good go with it. It's something I may try again, but to be fair, I haven't heard too many long term success stories with it. I have found most people are like me and gave it up. I bought the whole kit too... DVD's, ear device, book, etc. I'd love to find some real success with the device!
[/quote]

Well, I hope I can continue using it and get a more consistent tempo going. I only bought the book and the phone app. I actually could use to shorten my backswing but I haven't. Swinging with the tempo just feels right.

[quote name='jim rockford' timestamp='1371750294' post='7291322']
i like alot of tour tempo's stuff but have never really got down to applying it. i think there are generally on to something good. was watching horschell on weekend and seems like he has superfast tempo.

i would much rather have some software/service where your driving range swings can be analyzed for tempo as opposed to listening to tones.
[/quote]

The second book goes into the younger players and their superfast swings. Fowler, Mcilroy, and a few others have extremely fast swings but they are still at the 3:1 ratio most of the time at 18/6 and sometime down to 15/5. That is amazingly fast. They also clearly state in the second book that there are a lot of players who don't follow the 3:1 ratio and some are at 4:1 but a very large majority is at 3:1. The second book focuses on the short game and is pretty cheap if you buy the kindle version. It goes through the short game tones (2:1 ratio) but also delves deeper into Tiger, Phil and a bunch of other players and their tempo with their full swings. They also talk about a Yale study that was done that basically scientifically proved the 3:1 ratio. Do I understand the Yale study? No but seemed legit.

I'm not saying this is a huge fix and will make you or I a great golfer. I will say though that my tempo was inconsistent, my full swing was slower than it should be and my short game swings were faster than what has been shown to make people successful. I think this can really help anyone with tempo issues like myself. We will see.

Also, forgot to mention that it is easy to get your tempo by using most any video player software. Or you can send your swing video to Tour Tempo and see if they will do it for you. :)

[quote name='tsmithers' timestamp='1371755307' post='7291872']
[quote name='ColinMB' timestamp='1371748230' post='7291002']

[/quote]

Well, I hope I can continue using it and get a more consistent tempo going. I only bought the book and the phone app. I actually could use to shorten my backswing but I haven't. Swinging with the tempo just feels right.

[quote name='jim rockford' timestamp='1371750294' post='7291322']

[/quote]

The second book goes into the younger players and their superfast swings. Fowler, Mcilroy, and a few others have extremely fast swings but they are still at the 3:1 ratio most of the time at 18/6 and sometime down to 15/5. That is amazingly fast. They also clearly state in the second book that there are a lot of players who don't follow the 3:1 ratio and some are at 4:1 but a very large majority is at 3:1. The second book focuses on the short game and is pretty cheap if you buy the kindle version. It goes through the short game tones (2:1 ratio) but also delves deeper into Tiger, Phil and a bunch of other players and their tempo with their full swings. They also talk about a Yale study that was done that basically scientifically proved the 3:1 ratio. Do I understand the Yale study? No but seemed legit.

I'm not saying this is a huge fix and will make you or I a great golfer. I will say though that my tempo was inconsistent, my full swing was slower than it should be and my short game swings were faster than what has been shown to make people successful. I think this can really help anyone with tempo issues like myself. We will see.

Also, forgot to mention that it is easy to get your tempo by using most any video player software. Or you can send your swing video to Tour Tempo and see if they will do it for you. :)
[/quote]

thanks. i have most of that tour tempo stuff already. and as i said, i like the concept. hit some UNBELIEVABLY GOOD drives when channeling a 21/7 tempo (at least in my mind. the actual number may be way off that). but i am also very inconsistent. but perhaps i should work on it specifically with the material i have.

Not something I use every day, but I do go to it frequently when I'm feeling off, particularly when I notice my transition getting a little too quick. As fast as the TT swing felt at first, now it really slows down my backswing to a comfortable pace.

I've got the iphone total game app, and while i really don't use the short game part, I'm a fan of the product.

Titleist TSR3, w/Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue with Xlink Tech 65
Titleist 915Fd, w/Aldila Rogue Black 80-2.8-S
19* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85

24* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 6-P, w/UST Recoil 95 F4
Callaway 52* MD5 JAWS S Grind
Callaway 58* PM Grind 19
T.P. Mills Professional Series Klassic/Odyssey O Works Tank #7

I'm a fan too. I've helped a lot if people speeding up their backswing. I use JC Video at my studio. It has a bunch if swings loaded. I will notice a slow deliberate backswing and ask someone to pick a favorite Tour player. 8/10 will pick Freddy. I'll put the Am and Freddy side by side and sync the beginning of the takeaway. In most cases, Freddy has hit the ball before the struggling Am has finished their backswing and they complain of being "quick." Quick is a 5:1 and not a 3:1.

[quote name='tsmithers' timestamp='1371695569' post='7287012']
[quote name='parmark' timestamp='1371695163' post='7286972']
Golf clap. Like you I tried this, got frustrated and said the heck with it. I'll have to revisit this little baby.

Thanks for sharing. Good stuff. Did you make the birdie on 18 is what I want to know!?
[/quote]

Thanks for reading, I really appreciate it and good question. I hit a PW to about 15-18 feet. Putt got to the hole and actually rolled back an inch. I didn't hit it hard enough but there was also a little hump around the entire hole. Ended up shooting an 84. My putting was horrible, with 37 putts.

Also, I've never had a ranger rush me like that. I was pissed.
[/quote]

The hole was crowned! Hate that.

[quote name='valkare' timestamp='1371831686' post='7297806']
I think there are two novel parts of the tour tempo app, (1) it creates a consistent tempo swing and (2) it takes you mind away from swing thoughts and instead focuses on a beat. (2) is probably the biggest gain as it helps clear your mind and lets your body do its thing.
[/quote]

agree 100%...... tour tempo basically is your swing thought.

I think there are two novel parts of the tour tempo app, (1) it creates a consistent tempo swing and (2) it takes you mind away from swing thoughts and instead focuses on a beat. (2) is probably the biggest gain as it helps clear your mind and lets your body do its thing.
[/quote]
[quote name='jim rockford' timestamp='1371838363' post='7298590']
[/quote]

agree 100%...... tour tempo basically is your swing thought.
[/quote]

My thought exactly. Some may find this odd but I play some of my best golf early in the season when I'm not thinking about much and just trying to have a smooth swing. The less swing thoughts the better.

[quote name='Cmartingolf' timestamp='1371793976' post='7295500']
I'm a fan too. I've helped a lot if people speeding up their backswing. I use JC Video at my studio. It has a bunch if swings loaded. I will notice a slow deliberate backswing and ask someone to pick a favorite Tour player. 8/10 will pick Freddy. I'll put the Am and Freddy side by side and sync the beginning of the takeaway. In most cases, Freddy has hit the ball before the struggling Am has finished their backswing and they complain of being "quick." Quick is a 5:1 and not a 3:1.
[/quote]

Freddy is specifically used as an example in the second book as a "slow and effortless swing". Slow and smooth to him just happens to be much faster than most amateur players. His tempo is 24/8 with about 115mph ss with his driver.

[quote name='tsmithers' timestamp='1371694118' post='7286802'] I would highly recommend this to anyone who wants to be more consistent. I can't say that I have this down or that I don't have problems with my swing but I feel I am playing better golf using this process and am excited to continue the process.[/quote]

Congratulations on your success with Tour Tempo. I've exchanged emails with John Novosel, and he just seems really proud of his discovery and is eager to exchange thoughts and ideas with those of us who have adopted his teachings.

[/quote]

Martin,
I took up golf again this winter after a five year layoff. I decided to focus on two tools to use:
1) Tour Tempo
2) Tour Striker

A truly winning combination! You and John Novosel should be commended for the thought and innovation that went into your respective products.

[quote name='games' timestamp='1371843172' post='7299086']
Congratulations on your success with Tour Tempo. I've exchanged emails with John Novosel, and he just seems really proud of his discovery and is eager to exchange thoughts and ideas with those of us who have adopted his teachings.
[/quote]

I was really surprised when John Jr. was the one who gave me my tempo ratio and some pointers on my swing. I never thought they would actually ask for a swing video. I just thought they might have some advice.

Also, if you haven't read the second book then you should. It's really great for short game tempo but also has a lot more information about the initial Tour Tempo including a lot of player research from the years after the initial book came out. Great stuff. For the Tiger lovers there is a whole chapter on one of his seasons and his tempo throughout and his performance in those tournaments.

[quote name='games' timestamp='1371843593' post='7299142']
[/quote]

Martin,
I took up golf again this winter after a five year layoff. I decided to focus on two tools to use:
1) Tour Tempo
2) Tour Striker

A truly winning combination! You and John Novosel should be commended for the thought and innovation that went into your respective products.
[/quote]

Thanks for the kind words and support. Good luck with your game.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='tsmithers' timestamp='1371741950' post='7290188']
[quote name='tngolf22' timestamp='1371739446' post='7289798']

[url="http://www.amazon.com/Tour-Tempo-Secret-Finally-Revealed/product-reviews/0385509278/ref=sr_1_1_cm_cr_acr_txt/192-7905616-7275648?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1"]http://www.amazon.co...howViewpoints=1[/url]
[/quote]

Love the review. I don't think it is going to cure all swing flaws but get you more into swinging with a good, solid tempo without a lot of thoughts pre-swing which can sometimes throw you into fits of 20 swing thoughts. I find that the less I think and the more I concentrate on tempo, the better I seem to hit the ball.
[/quote]

Kenny Perry in winning the Champions Open said this. When he was up 1-2 strokes with 3 holes left he said he thought only about tempo to avoid bad swings.

[/quote]

Is it the Tour Tempo or just a faster backswing that helps?

I found that having a fast backswing and what feels like a really slow transition is really important for me. It might be the biggest break through I have made on my own.

Just an update. I had a few bad rounds recently and my swing felt all off, shot 90, 88, 94, 85 last weekend on a golf trip at some tough courses. I couldn't find the fairway off the tee. I practices a bunch with the tour tempo tones this past week. I shot an 81 this morning and my swing felt balanced and 'smooth' and I hit a bunch of fairways and if I missed it was by a few yards. Fun day!

• 3 weeks later...

^ I'll add in an update as well. I had a decent period of hitting the ball, but got away from a solid tempo by trying out too many different things with the backswing and transition. As a result, I was hitting a lot of pulls and saw my average distance drop.

While at the range last week, I started griping under my breath over some more bad pulls (and a few driver slices) and the golfer in the next bay chuckled and said that the range balls never did anything to me, there was no reason to try and kill them the way I was. I laughed it off, but went to my car and grabbed my iPod and headphones. Sure enough, playing the 24/8 tones made me quickly realize I was once again WAY TOO FAST with my transition and downswing. As soon as I slowed down to the tones, I was able to work my whole body, as the faster "kill the ball" swing was all arms which resulted in a lot of OTT swings.

Just listening to the tempo tones allowed my to clear my mind and slow everything down, resulting in my downswing being more in sync and (you guessed it) more distance and tighter dispersion.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Russtopher' timestamp='1375031559' post='7555174']
^ I'll add in an update as well. I had a decent period of hitting the ball, but got away from a solid tempo by trying out too many different things with the backswing and transition. As a result, I was hitting a lot of pulls and saw my average distance drop.

While at the range last week, I started griping under my breath over some more bad pulls (and a few driver slices) and the golfer in the next bay chuckled and said that the range balls never did anything to me, there was no reason to try and kill them the way I was. I laughed it off, but went to my car and grabbed my iPod and headphones. Sure enough, playing the 24/8 tones made me quickly realize I was once again WAY TOO FAST with my transition and downswing. As soon as I slowed down to the tones, I was able to work my whole body, as the faster "kill the ball" swing was all arms which resulted in a lot of OTT swings.

Just listening to the tempo tones allowed my to clear my mind and slow everything down, resulting in my downswing being more in sync and (you guessed it) more distance and tighter dispersion.
[/quote]

I've been thinking about this thread lately and thought I'd update it since I have had some further success. My tempo just feels spot on right now and my scores have shown it. There have been a few rounds where I just couldn't groove the tempo for some reason. I think when I think about other things I start to lose my tempo thoughts and get out of whack. I hate sounding like a commercial but...........since focusing more on tempo and using the tones I've shot several of my lowest rounds ever including a 79 and a personal best 74. My handicap has gone from 11.4 to 9.3 and have been consistently shooting low 80s. I'm so happy I found this. Now, it is not the only reason I have improved. I have been playing a lot more this year and practicing my short game more (with the short game tour tempo tones). I just feel like not thinking about my swing but instead focusing on a smooth tempo has created a more consistent game. OK, commercial over. :)

• 3 months later...