Callaway's at Costco

HackerDave

Had to hit the Costco today and they have 24 packs of Callaway Hex Control golf balls. Box says they are a 3 piece ball. I bought a box because they cost $29 for 24 balls. I'm heading down to HHI this weekend and it seems a shame to sink new Pro V's after going 3 months with no golf. Any idea what model this might actually be??

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Called callaway and asked about the balls they have there. Asked specifically what they compare to. According to representative on the phone, it was explained to me like this:

Callaway hex pro is four piece ball, dual core with a urethane cover. What is it like, a tour I(s). Basically a tour i(s) with an updated cover material. I would guess it is same material on the other current urethane balls. $24.99 dz. btw, the are yellow cover here in Michigan

Callaway hex control is a hx bite with a new cover material. Hopefully this new cover is more durable than the original bite cover. I could chew that cover with my very moderate swing speed. 2dz @ $29.99

This all make sense if you think about it, release and older ball technology with new improved cover material that they are now producing.

If you liked the hx bite or the tour i(s), than you can't pass this deal, especially on the hex control at $15 dz.

• 1 month later...

I got some of these and like them so I did a little research. They look to be last years HX Bite, but with the new softer cover:

[url="http://www.callawaygolf.com/global/en-us/golf-equipment/additional-product-offerings/hex-control-golf-ball/specs.html"]http://www.callawaygolf.com/global/en-us/golf-equipment/additional-product-offerings/hex-control-golf-ball/specs.html[/url]

VS.

[url="http://www.callawaygolf.com/global/en-us/golf-equipment/classic-golf-equipment/hx-hot-bite-golf-ball.html"]http://www.callawaygolf.com/global/en-us/golf-equipment/classic-golf-equipment/hx-hot-bite-golf-ball.html[/url]

• 4 weeks later...

Call me a cynic, but if they're a special made for Costco 24 pack ball, I suspect that first and foremost any changes made were done to make it cost less to produce rather than make any improvements.

Otherwise why would they bother with the expense of changing things up for a ball that's selling at bottom feeder prices?

[quote name='BlkNGld' timestamp='1370016697' post='7143554']
Call me a cynic, but if they're a special made for Costco 24 pack ball, I suspect that first and foremost any changes made were done to make it cost less to produce rather than make any improvements.

Otherwise why would they bother with the expense of changing things up for a ball that's selling at bottom feeder prices?
[/quote]

Costco is not in the business of selling poor quality merchandise. Just because its cheaper doesn't make it "cheaper." In actuality, Coscto prides itself on its quality and will go to far lengths to insure it. For example, they have commissioned apparel companies like Perry Ellis to make their "kirkland" brand mens shirts and pants.

> [color=#282828]They look to be last years HX Bite, but with the new softer cover:[/color]

Based on their specifications, they actually appear to be most similar to the HX Hot Bite or Hex Hot.

GHIN Index: 18.0
PING G30 10.5 R
Cobra F7 14.5
Cobra F6 Baffler 19
Mashie+ m4
MacGregor M565 5-GW Rifle 4.5 R flex
Callaway MD2 52.9, 56.11 wedges
Rife Aussie Mallet 34"
Maxfli U/6 Tour Soft

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='HateTheHighDraw' timestamp='1370023663' post='7144470']

[/quote]

Costco is not in the business of selling poor quality merchandise. Just because its cheaper doesn't make it "cheaper." In actuality, Coscto prides itself on its quality and will go to far lengths to insure it. For example, they have commissioned apparel companies like Perry Ellis to make their "kirkland" brand mens shirts and pants.
[/quote]

All I'm saying is that Callaway has to hit a price point along with a quality level. Doesn't mean they aren't a good value ball, but no one should expect that one at this price point will perform the same as their higher priced ones, as it would destroy their value model. I'm sure they're better than the Titelist HVCs that used to be there, but that's another thread.

I've bought a bunch of the Callaway gloves they're currently selling. They're good gloves, but having some of the regular Callaway gloves I can readily tell the differences. I recognize that and choose to accept them for the price difference. At the same time there are some lines (the Greg Norman apparel for example) where I find the Costco versions to have cut too many corners for my liking.

Putting stuff on the Kirkland Sig brand is in many ways less complicated because the supplier is rarely known. It just depends on a product by product basis which way is better. Note the flip flopping between Callaway and K-S glove brands, for example.

[quote name='BlkNGld' timestamp='1370883614' post='7206188']
[quote name='HateTheHighDraw' timestamp='1370023663' post='7144470']

[/quote]

[/quote]

All I'm saying is that Callaway has to hit a price point along with a quality level. Doesn't mean they aren't a good value ball, but no one should expect that one at this price point will perform the same as their higher priced ones, as it would destroy their value model. I'm sure they're better than the Titelist HVCs that used to be there, but that's another thread.

I've bought a bunch of the Callaway gloves they're currently selling. They're good gloves, but having some of the regular Callaway gloves I can readily tell the differences. I recognize that and choose to accept them for the price difference. At the same time there are some lines (the Greg Norman apparel for example) where I find the Costco versions to have cut too many corners for my liking.

Putting stuff on the Kirkland Sig brand is in many ways less complicated because the supplier is rarely known. It just depends on a product by product basis which way is better. Note the flip flopping between Callaway and K-S glove brands, for example.
[/quote]

Rebranding products for mega discount retailers is common. Electronics manufacturers do the same thing and many times the product will be identical to what you find at other retailers only with a different model number to avoid pricing issues with the manufacturers other accounts.

The Callaway HEX Control is likely a rebranded HEX Hot Pro. They also had a ball called the HX Hot Pro which was a rebranded HX Diablo Tour available at Costco/Sams Club last year. The HEX Pro looks to be a rebranded Tour i(s).

• 2 weeks later...

OK, after reading this thread, I picked up some of these just for a change from the Penta TP5. I like the Penta, but sometimes it feels just a little TOO soft.

Played it and the best way to sum up my experience is that I hit it scared. I really don't know how far these things are gonna go. They come off hot from all club faces. Drives were easily 20-25 yds longer than I'm accustomed to. Irons were the same, almost 2 clubs longer. No changes in my swing or game lately. I thought I was being silly and overestimating the difference, but even they guy I was playing with who knows my game noticed. Is the ball really that much better? Probably a combination of not playing the optimum ball for me previously and this ball being better suited to the conditions.

It was gusty, but I played in all directions and it was always the same. Holds the line in the wind pretty darn well.

They definitely feel firmer on contact, no question. I'm not what I'd consider a high spin player. Just about any ball gives me the drop-n-hop-n-stop. Sometimes I'll get 2-3 ft of backspin on an approach shot under ideal conditions, but it's a rarity. These do the same thing, except I'm always much further than I anticipated. That said, the hot launch comes into play greenside as well. Definitely have to adjust for that.

I also like the way they putt more than the Penta. They just have a 'truer' feel to them for me. Not clicky, but not that muted 'tock' you get from a lot of urethane balls either. I feel I can hit these firmer and they seem to hold the line better. Must be a metal confidence thing from the feel and sound.

Titleist 915D3 9.5
Titleist AP3
Vokey SM8 52/56/60
Odyssey O Works Red #7

These balls are the hex hot's that are sold at the golf retailers. Good ball for the price, and as some others have said, straight off the tee and not bad with approaches.

Callaway Epic Flash 9* Tensei av 65 stiff
Callaway Epic Flash 5w 18* Rogue Silver 70 stiff
Titleist 915H 24* Rogue Black 85h stiff
Srixon 745 4-PW DG Pro s300 1.5* flat
Odyssey Stroke Lab 2 Ball Fang S 34"
Callaway MD4 $-taper 120s 50* & 54* (black on black)
TaylorMade Milled Grind 60*
TaylorMade TP5x

[quote name='BlkNGld' timestamp='1370016697' post='7143554'] Call me a cynic, but if they're a special made for Costco 24 pack ball, I suspect that first and foremost any changes made were done to make it cost less to produce rather than make any improvements. Otherwise why would they bother with the expense of changing things up for a ball that's selling at bottom feeder prices? [/quote]

First, you need to understand how Costco works. Their whole model is built on the premise of extremely small margins for them. They have a max margin that they are allowed to make. It is against company policy to exceed it (and it is stoopid low margin).

Between that and the volume that Costco generates, it can be very advantageous for suppliers, even those with strong brands and consumers get great products at a great value. And the suppliers still make excellent margin as well.

We deal extensively with Costco and they are an excellent partner and retailer. Just because something is inexpensive does not mean it is cheap. There are a number of factors that go into a products final retail price.

As for the balls, I grabbed a case when my wife and i went in to buy a patio set. Great ball, especially at that price. They come of the face really hot and still have nice touch around the greens.

[quote name='Super Tuna' timestamp='1372269217' post='7328660']
Total side note, but the Costco here are selling TM Rocketbladez Stage 2 woods now. Intriguing, especially because they're undercutting Golftown/Golfsmith by $40 a club
[/quote]

Whoa! Costco is selling RBZ stg 2s? It's not some rebranded TM club? For $40 better than GS that's pretty awesome!

Callaway Rogue ST Max - Tensei AV White - 8*
Taylormade M3 HL - MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP - 4-G - Recoil 95 S - 2* upright

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

Odyssey OWorks 2ball  -  34" - 1* loft - 71* lie
Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*

WITB Link

• 2 weeks later...

I am intrigued by the Hex Pro available at Costco now for $25/dozen. My cursory research still hasn't produced a clear answer as to what this ball actually is.

These are the spec pages from Callaway's website. Anyone care to translate the technical jargon to tell one way or another what ball the Hex Pro is most comparable to?

Callway Hex Pro
http://www.callawaygolf.com/global/en-us/golf-equipment/additional-product-offerings/hex-pro-golf-ball/specs.html

Callaway Tour i(s)
http://www.callawaygolf.com/global/en-us/golf-equipment/classic-golf-equipment/tour-is-golf-ball.html

Callaway Tour i(z)
http://www.callawaygolf.com/global/en-us/golf-equipment/classic-golf-equipment/tour-iz-golf-ball.html

There aren't many 4-piece balls out there. My gut tells me that the theory about it being a rebranded i(s) seems pretty plausible. The specs aren't identical, but close from what I can tell.

I'd be interested to hear others' thoughts.

Ping G430LST 9* - Fujikura Ventus Blue 6x
Taylormade Stealth 2+ 15*  - Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Callaway Apex UW 17* - Fujikura Ventus Black 9x
Titleist Tsi3 20* - Graphite Design AD-DI hy 95stiff
Titleist T150 5i & 6i- Steelfiber 115fc f4
Ping Blueprint 7i-PW - Steelfiber 115fc f4
Titleist Vokey SM7 50* - Steelfiber 115fc f4 
Titleist Vokey SM8 54* - Accra Spt Wedge 125g
Titleist Vokey SM4 58* - Steelfiber 125stiff 
Scotty Cameron Newport Button Back - BGT Stability
Srixon Z-Star Yellow (2019)

[quote name='efduffer' timestamp='1372191385' post='7322676']

Drives were easily 20-25 yds longer than I'm accustomed to. Irons were the same, almost 2 clubs longer.

[/quote]

:cheesy: I'm sorry, but you really think the ball makes that much of a difference?

Give yourself some credit. You were hitting it a lot better today.

[color=#ffa500][size=2]Titleist TS2 10.5* [/size][/color]
[color=#ffa500][size=2]No 3 wood currently[/size][/color]
[color=#ffa500][size=2]Ping G10 21* 7 wood[/size][/color]
[color=#ffa500][size=2]Cobra Baffler XL 5H [/size][/color]
[color=#ffa500][size=2]Ping i e1 irons 6-PW[/size][/color]
[color=#ffa500][size=2]Titleist Vokey SM6 Raw 54.14F 58.12K DG S200[/size][/color]
[color=#ffa500][size=2]Scotty Cameron Futura 6M[/size][/color]
[color=#ffa500][size=2]Seamus Snowtrooper Fescue Sunday Bag[/size][/color]

[quote name='blink3665' timestamp='1372272997' post='7329116']
[quote name='Super Tuna' timestamp='1372269217' post='7328660']
Total side note, but the Costco here are selling TM Rocketbladez Stage 2 woods now. Intriguing, especially because they're undercutting Golftown/Golfsmith by $40 a club
[/quote]
Whoa! Costco is selling RBZ stg 2s? It's not some rebranded TM club? For $40 better than GS that's pretty awesome!
[/quote]real deal

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815
FW: Callaway Big Bertha 3W
FW: Callaway Big Bertha 5W
Hybrid: Callaway RAZR X Tour 3H
Irons: Callaway Apex 4-9, PW, AW, SW
Putter: Odyssey Metal X Milled #9HT

[quote name='orangebang' timestamp='1373100477' post='7397052']
Drives were easily 20-25 yds longer than I'm accustomed to. Irons were the same, almost 2 clubs longer.

[/quote]

:cheesy: I'm sorry, but you really think the ball makes that much of a difference?

[/quote]

Agree! I've never use any club or ball that was two clubs different from any other.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

[quote name='Nessism' timestamp='1373142500' post='7399106']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Agree! I've never use any club or ball that was two clubs different from any other.
[/quote]

While generally I'd agree, I can't quite figure it out. At first I thought I was overestimating the difference and was just being overly optimistic about the improvement. They are longer, but I couldn't figure out why. So I compared the Hex Control, Penta TP5, and the NXT Tour.

The Control was usually longer by 15-20 yds over the TP5, but not as much of a gain over the NXT, maybe a club, 10 yds or so.

Now I will admit that some of the relative difference was probably due to using a ball not well suited to my swing (TP5). I was only using it because I could get it fairly cheap, it was reliable from a consistency standpoint, and it felt good off the club face. Never thought I'd see that kind of difference in distance due to just a ball. While it's fun to hit it that far, I'm not a huge fan of the ball since I hate having to do all the mental math for club selection when using it. Like I said before, I hit it scared, I'm not used to hitting my 56 100 yds, etc, so it's too unpredictable for me.

Titleist 915D3 9.5
Titleist AP3
Vokey SM8 52/56/60
Odyssey O Works Red #7

[quote name='DJQwrx' timestamp='1373076958' post='7395838']
I am intrigued by the Hex Pro available at Costco now for $25/dozen. My cursory research still hasn't produced a clear answer as to what this ball actually is.

These are the spec pages from Callaway's website. Anyone care to translate the technical jargon to tell one way or another what ball the Hex Pro is most comparable to?

Callway Hex Pro
[url="http://www.callawaygolf.com/global/en-us/golf-equipment/additional-product-offerings/hex-pro-golf-ball/specs.html"]http://www.callawayg...ball/specs.html[/url]

Callaway Tour i(s)
[url="http://www.callawaygolf.com/global/en-us/golf-equipment/classic-golf-equipment/tour-is-golf-ball.html"]http://www.callawayg...-golf-ball.html[/url]

Callaway Tour i(z)
[url="http://www.callawaygolf.com/global/en-us/golf-equipment/classic-golf-equipment/tour-iz-golf-ball.html"]http://www.callawayg...-golf-ball.html[/url]

There aren't many 4-piece balls out there. My gut tells me that the theory about it being a rebranded i(s) seems pretty plausible. The specs aren't identical, but close from what I can tell.

I'd be interested to hear others' thoughts.
[/quote]

Hex Pro does look interesting. The outer 2 layers are closer specs to the Hex Black than the old (i) balls.

I might have to pick up a dozen.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='HackerDave' timestamp='1362072466' post='6520707']
Had to hit the Costco today and they have 24 packs of Callaway Hex Control golf balls. Box says they are a 3 piece ball. I bought a box because they cost $29 for 24 balls. I'm heading down to HHI this weekend and it seems a shame to sink new Pro V's after going 3 months with no golf. Any idea what model this might actually be??
[/quote]

Seems like a good price. I played the HX Hot Bite and liked them.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='efduffer' timestamp='1373163580' post='7400712']
[quote name='Nessism' timestamp='1373142500' post='7399106']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

While generally I'd agree, I can't quite figure it out. At first I thought I was overestimating the difference and was just being overly optimistic about the improvement. They are longer, but I couldn't figure out why. So I compared the Hex Control, Penta TP5, and the NXT Tour.

The Control was usually longer by 15-20 yds over the TP5, but not as much of a gain over the NXT, maybe a club, 10 yds or so.

Now I will admit that some of the relative difference was probably due to using a ball not well suited to my swing (TP5). I was only using it because I could get it fairly cheap, it was reliable from a consistency standpoint, and it felt good off the club face. Never thought I'd see that kind of difference in distance due to just a ball. While it's fun to hit it that far, I'm not a huge fan of the ball since I hate having to do all the mental math for club selection when using it. Like I said before, I hit it scared, I'm not used to hitting my 56 100 yds, etc, so it's too unpredictable for me.
[/quote]

Have anyone tried and compare Hex Control and Hex Distance? Thx

TI M2 (2016) 8.5° AD-GP 6x (backup Adams Fast 12 LS 7.5°)
TI M2 (2016) 13° TS AD-GP 7x
TI P790 #1 UDI 14° KBS Tour Hybrid Graphite Prototype 95X (backup TI RSi TP UDI #1 16° MRC Kuro Kage Silver 90HY TX)
TI TM P790 3-PW NS Pro Prototype 2F15 X-Stiff
TI TM Milled GRIND 52° & 59° KBS Tour Nickel Black X-Stiff
TI Bullseye Tour Putter
KSIG/PROv1x

I would tell anyone with a Costco membership to get these balls. I bought the Hex Control and love them. I had been playing Bridgestone e6's to start the season but with the combination of better price and worthy performance I don't plan to switch from these unless Costco stops selling them. I thought they felt real nice off all my clubs, had a pretty good trajectory, and held greens really well.

Nike Covert 2.0 11.5*/ Project X 6.5
Cleveland Launcher FL 17*/ C.Kua 43s
TM Jetspeed Rescue 22*/ Velox T 75 stiff
Wilson Ci7 5-PW/ Miyazaki Jinsoku stiff
Renegar RxF 50*, 54*, 58*/ KBS Wedge
Nike Method MC11W w/ SS Flatso Mid 1.4