Washington State Golf Course Reports

FlyFish

[quote name='TheMackDaddy' timestamp='1371444128' post='7260898']
[quote name='ayotte2' timestamp='1371439449' post='7260500']
Went on a mini tour of eastern wa courses a couple weeks ago.
Played Apple tree on day one. Nice but real wet fairways. They had some rain the days before, so it's understandable. I like the place and yes I dunked my first ball on 17. Pin was front right and I under clubbed it.
Played Wine Valley on day two. Windy would be an understatement but it was all good but around and on the greens. Dirt bunkers for a round that sets one back $95 plus tax? The speed of the greens with that much undulation is ridiculous. If they want to call this place a links course at least lay it out so you can run the ball up to the green. You can't really play this course like that. Slow the greens down a bit and we might want to come back. They were probably running at 14 or 15. A decent 50 dollar round but no more than that.
Palouse Ridge on day three. Nasty windy rainy weather back what a nice place. I like pretty much everything about it and I'm a Husky.
Circling Raven on day four. Pretty nice resort style course. A little gimmicky but that's expected. I'd go there again. Nice condition.
Moses Pointe on the last day. Another great track although their rough mower was broken down, making the rough a "hack it out of 50 yards" max. I like the place and will certainly revisit. Nice greens and fairways.
[/quote]
Wine Valley is my favorite course in Washington! The greens are really tough and require a ton of strategy.
[/quote]

Don't get me wrong, Wine Valley is a pretty cool place. They're hyping it as a "links style" course but protect the front of the greens with bunkers so you have to fly your ball in to greens that run so fast it winds up heading down huge embankments. Nobody in our group fixed a ball mark on the greens all day. Hard and fast is an understatement.The ball won't stop without "tour style" spin. Even then, it will move forward at a rapid pace. Usually off the back.
It sure was a nice walk, though. I like the layout. Just run the greens at 10 or so. Then one has a chance to hit a GIR a little more often. For 100 bucks, put some sand in the bunkers.

[quote name='SemperFi91' timestamp='1371009649' post='7219846']
I play the Yakima Elks Golf Course about 5 days a week. The course right now is in great shape and the weather is even better. Small greens and narrow fairways. Anybody in the area that wants to play, hit me up.

Played Apple Tree last night also. Big greens and usually pretty wet as they like to water it a lot. Was actually in very nice shape and the greens were rolling very true. Not as fast as I've seen in the past, but still pretty good.

Played Mt Adams down in Toppenish last weekend and those greens are always in nice shape. Very tree lined for those that haven't played it and not too expensive.

But the real gem is Tumble Creek at Suncadia. This has to be the nicest course I've played anywhere. The conditions are perfect. We played it a week before the US Open Qualifier and played it from the tips. The fairways are like tee boxes at most nice courses and you can literally putt from 20-40 feet off the green. They were rolling about 12.5-13 when we were there and they said they were gonna try to get them a little faster. The weather was low 80's with a very very slight breeze which is really unusual. Played with a former US Open local qualifier winner which made it even more fun. I've played Tumble about 4-5 times now and it just keeps getting better. A definite must if you are in the area.
[/quote]

Hey may I ask how you got onto Tumble Creek? I have played Prospector and Rope Rider, I love it up at Suncadia, great place to play.

I haven't played Tumble Creek yet, thought that it was private.

[quote name='TheMackDaddy' timestamp='1371007335' post='7219600']
I'm playing Chambers this weekend as a father's day gift to my dad... Should be awesome. On a different note, JUNIORS ARE FREE at Chambers every Sunday with a paid adult!!!! I'll split the cost with someone for a sunset or super sunset rate sometime if anyone is interested.
[/quote]

Do they have this information on their website about the free junior? That would be perfect for my younger brother and I.

PING G425 9* Tour 65 X - PING G400 Stretch 13* HZRDUS Yellow - PING G425 17* Hybrid Tour 85 X
PING I210 4-U Project X 6.5 - PING Glide 2.0 Stealth 55 & 60* Project X 6.0
PING VALOR CB 35"

Does anyone else (piggy-backing to a couple of posts above) feel that Washington State golf courses lack sand? I was play Echo Falls a couple of weeks ago and I literally hit rock hard dirt (yes, black stuff) out of a fairway bunker. I find this to be common on many courses I play and it's eating me up inside lol (yes, it hurts physically and mentally)

[quote name='jamie' timestamp='1372124980' post='7317448']
I'm playing Chambers this weekend as a father's day gift to my dad... Should be awesome. On a different note, JUNIORS ARE FREE at Chambers every Sunday with a paid adult!!!! I'll split the cost with someone for a sunset or super sunset rate sometime if anyone is interested.
[/quote]

Do they have this information on their website about the free junior? That would be perfect for my younger brother and I.
[/quote]
I couldn't find it. I only found out when I called them up.

[quote name='TheMackDaddy' timestamp='1372132894' post='7318444']
[quote name='jamie' timestamp='1372124980' post='7317448']
[/quote]

[/quote]
I couldn't find it. I only found out when I called them up.
[/quote]
Thank you, I'll give them a call sometime...sounds like an awesome deal.

PING G425 9* Tour 65 X - PING G400 Stretch 13* HZRDUS Yellow - PING G425 17* Hybrid Tour 85 X
PING VALOR CB 35"

[quote name='robeans' timestamp='1372204880' post='7324028']
Anyone have an update on Willows? Gonna play early tomorrow but will skip it and play Echo if sucky.
[/quote]

Haven't played either too recently, but given the rain of the past few days, and the showers predicted for tomorrow, I'd stay away from both. Those are literally #1 and #2 of wet courses in the area that I've ever played. I'd say you should head to one of the Seattle munis for the same price - even west seattle takes on water better than those places.

I should mention that Willows in particular hit a sore spot with me this spring when I called to ask how the course was and was told "it's a little wet in parts" only to drive 45 minutes, show up and see ducks swimming on the fairways a few holes in...don't think I'll ever be paying to go back there again.

[quote name='bruingolf04' timestamp='1372132737' post='7318416']
Does anyone else (piggy-backing to a couple of posts above) feel that Washington State golf courses lack sand? I was play Echo Falls a couple of weeks ago and I literally hit rock hard dirt (yes, black stuff) out of a fairway bunker. I find this to be common on many courses I play and it's eating me up inside lol (yes, it hurts physically and mentally)
[/quote]
This is really common and I've only seen a couple Western WA courses with fluffy sand. Strangely enough, Harbor Pointe has some of the better bunkers I've seen lately, and it's right on the Sound.

[quote name='RJfisher' timestamp='1372256743' post='7327286']
[/quote]
This is really common and I've only seen a couple Western WA courses with fluffy sand. Strangely enough, Harbor Pointe has some of the better bunkers I've seen lately, and it's right on the Sound.
[/quote]

Want fully sand do ya? Careful what you wish for....go play Maplewood and report back on the fluffy sand please.

I don't notice much consistency in bunkers in the Seattle area, but generally there isn't much sand. Druids Glen is one that comes to mind that has a lot of fluffy sand.

Ping G410 9 degree Fujikura Fuel Tour Spec 60X
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 3 wood Project X HZRDUS Yellow 75x
Srixon Z U65 18 GD Tour AD 95X
Honma 737vn 5-10 DG S400 AMT Tour Issue, 737P 4 iron 
Cleveland RTX4 Raw 60/6, 56/10, 52/10 DG S400 Tour Issue
Ping Vault Anser 2

[quote name='TMBob' timestamp='1372258406' post='7327430']
[/quote]
[/quote]

Want fully sand do ya? Careful what you wish for....go play Maplewood and report back on the fluffy sand please.
[/quote]
I'll take fluffy over compacted cement with hidden rocks that ruin my wedges any day!

Agree on the hardness of the sand here. There's no point in buying high bounce sand wedges because you're just going to skull the ball if you try to play it like a sand shot in most places. I imagine that the courses don't put a high priority on it because the bunkers are wet most of the time. We have enough tree hazards in the Pacific Northwest anyways! :)

Played Lake Spanaway today....also played there about 5 weeks ago.....ran into the same issue....greens do not drain well with light rain, other then that the course was pretty darn good overall.

Lake Spanaway has the potential to be one of the best tracks in the state public wise with some work done t it design wise. That and West Seattle are just screaming for a make over IMHO

[quote name='TMBob' timestamp='1372393149' post='7339660']
Played Lake Spanaway today....also played there about 5 weeks ago.....ran into the same issue....greens do not drain well with light rain, other then that the course was pretty darn good overall.

Lake Spanaway has the potential to be one of the best tracks in the state public wise with some work done t it design wise. That and West Seattle are just screaming for a make over IMHO
[/quote]

100% Agree

Ping Vault Anser 2

[quote name='TMBob' timestamp='1372258406' post='7327430']
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Hit better shots and you won't have to worry if the sand is fluffy or not. Sorry, couldn't resist, standing joke/comment at Maplewood.

BTW, totally agree the sand in the PNW is very inconsistent.

[quote name='TheMackDaddy' timestamp='1372393326' post='7339678']
Does anyone on here ever get to play Tacoma G&CC? They remodeled it, and jeez... it is one of the nicest tracks you can play. Always in perfect shape, superb layout, lots of fun.
[/quote]

I played a Pro-Am out there late last year and I agree - one of the nicest courses I've played. The practice facilities are amazing (loved trying to hit the giant bell on the driving range), and I found the course to be a nice mix of risk/reward. I liked that at Tacoma you could get yourself in trouble, but you could still pull off a good shot to get yourself out of trouble (unlike many other courses where missing the fairway is basically an automatic 1 shot penalty bc of the trees).

[quote name='chrndwg' timestamp='1372436568' post='7342188']
[quote name='TheMackDaddy' timestamp='1372393326' post='7339678']
Does anyone on here ever get to play Tacoma G&CC? They remodeled it, and jeez... it is one of the nicest tracks you can play. Always in perfect shape, superb layout, lots of fun.
[/quote]

I played a Pro-Am out there late last year and I agree - one of the nicest courses I've played. The practice facilities are amazing (loved trying to hit the giant bell on the driving range), and I found the course to be a nice mix of risk/reward. I liked that at Tacoma you could get yourself in trouble, but you could still pull off a good shot to get yourself out of trouble (unlike many other courses where missing the fairway is basically an automatic 1 shot penalty bc of the trees).
[/quote]So either it is as nice as we think, or University of Washington fans think alike!

[quote name='plutch' timestamp='1372122691' post='7317116']
[quote name='SemperFi91' timestamp='1371009649' post='7219846']
I play the Yakima Elks Golf Course about 5 days a week. The course right now is in great shape and the weather is even better. Small greens and narrow fairways. Anybody in the area that wants to play, hit me up.

Played Apple Tree last night also. Big greens and usually pretty wet as they like to water it a lot. Was actually in very nice shape and the greens were rolling very true. Not as fast as I've seen in the past, but still pretty good.

Played Mt Adams down in Toppenish last weekend and those greens are always in nice shape. Very tree lined for those that haven't played it and not too expensive.

But the real gem is Tumble Creek at Suncadia. This has to be the nicest course I've played anywhere. The conditions are perfect. We played it a week before the US Open Qualifier and played it from the tips. The fairways are like tee boxes at most nice courses and you can literally putt from 20-40 feet off the green. They were rolling about 12.5-13 when we were there and they said they were gonna try to get them a little faster. The weather was low 80's with a very very slight breeze which is really unusual. Played with a former US Open local qualifier winner which made it even more fun. I've played Tumble about 4-5 times now and it just keeps getting better. A definite must if you are in the area.
[/quote]

Hey may I ask how you got onto Tumble Creek? I have played Prospector and Rope Rider, I love it up at Suncadia, great place to play.

I haven't played Tumble Creek yet, thought that it was private.
[/quote]
One of my good friends knows someone that is a member there. I've played it about 5 or 6 times now and it is absolutely one of the best courses I have ever played....anywhere!

At one point, I heard that if you were a member of a private golf club, you could have your pro call their pro and make a tee time for you. I believe the cost is $125 plus cart. I say it's worth that at least once!

[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][b][i]Ping G400 - 9*[/i]
[i]Ping G30 - 17*[/i][/b]
[b][i]Ping G400 - 19*[/i]
[i]Ping G30 - 22*[/i][/b]
[b][i]Ping G30 - 25*[/i]
[i]TaylorMade P790 Custom Black Finish - 6-GW - Steel Fiber i95 shaft[/i]
[i]Cleveland RTX-4 - 54 and 58 [/i]
[i]Scotty Cameron "Joker" X5 34" with 20g Joker weights[/i][/b][/font]

Play chambers Sunday: super hot out. Drank about 8 bottles of water. They told us they are preping for the us open. The greens complex is really tough, it seems like more false edges and elevation then a year ago. The long tall grass are gone from the rough. Fair ways are perfect. Everything is super dry.

Side note, I played from the sand tees, and only miss 3 fair ways all day, but ended up with 7 three puts. Ouch.

Been playing a lot of muni golf. Perks of working for Premier is that I pay zero green fees. Hit up Jax and West right after the Seattle Am and they are both in great condition. The greens on both courses are the fastest I've ever seen them.

Played Jax on Weds and it's def been dried out. The greens feel baked from the hot weather we've been having lately. Approach shot must be hit crisply with spin to have any chance of sticking. Fairways are always just hit or miss but the greens are excellent due to tourney conditions and prob rolling around 11-12.

West was played yesterday on July 4th. First hole got on GIR and 4 putted! Greens were super rock hard and solid. It was a welcome surprise for sure. The scores for the Seattle Am were posted and West was playing toughest out of all the courses. The highest scores were shot at West. They might be rolling toughest out of any course in the state right now. I know a muni course, I said it, toughest in the state right now!. With 12-13 speed greens is crazy!! Love it, I hope they keep it this way through the excellent heat wave we've been having and will continue to have through next week.

TM M1 460 10.5° .::. MRC Tensei CK Blue 6S
Adams XTD Ti 15° .::. Matrix 7Q3 S
TM R15 Black 19° .::. Fujikura Motore Speeder 8.1 S (tipped 2")
Bridgestone Airmuscle 2i 19° .::. PX HD2
Tourstage X Blade 709 CB 4i .::. Nippon Modus 3 125S tipped 1/2"
Tourstage X Blade 909 Ltd 5-PW .::. Nippon Modus 3 125S tipped 1/2"
Bridgestone J15 Black Ox 52°/58° .::. DG Onyx S400
Piretti 'Tour Only' Cortino II w/ Matrix U11-P01 Proto
Piretti 'Cortino LN' Long Neck Tour Ltd
Piretti Teramo CS
Bridgestone *B* Tour 330
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1059465-bpark1210-witb-bridgestone-pic-heavy/page__pid__9832393#entry9832393"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='bpark1210' timestamp='1373046703' post='7393568']
Been playing a lot of muni golf. Perks of working for Premier is that I pay zero green fees. Hit up Jax and West right after the Seattle Am and they are both in great condition. The greens on both courses are the fastest I've ever seen them.

Played Jax on Weds and it's def been dried out. The greens feel baked from the hot weather we've been having lately. Approach shot must be hit crisply with spin to have any chance of sticking. Fairways are always just hit or miss but the greens are excellent due to tourney conditions and prob rolling around 11-12.

West was played yesterday on July 4th. First hole got on GIR and 4 putted! Greens were super rock hard and solid. It was a welcome surprise for sure. The scores for the Seattle Am were posted and West was playing toughest out of all the courses. The highest scores were shot at West. They might be rolling toughest out of any course in the state right now. I know a muni course, I said it, toughest in the state right now!. With 12-13 speed greens is crazy!! Love it, I hope they keep it this way through the excellent heat wave we've been having and will continue to have through next week.
[/quote]

I agree. I played West Seattle on Saturday and made an 8-footer on #1 to salvage a three-putt. I think I've four-putted that hole two or three times this year, and I'm usually a pretty good putter. With the slope on some of West Seattle's greens they are as tough as anywhere right now. So many subtle breaks and elevation changes on the greens that it is tough to putt aggressively. If you do, you better be rolling it well or you're going to three putt or worse a lot. I also enjoy playing there, but I need to improve my approach shots into the green to avoid the three- and four-Jacks.

Callaway Mavrik 10.5* HZRDS 6.0 55g
Cobra BioCell 3w PXi S
Callaway Mavrik 20* Catalyst 65 5.5

Callaway Mavrik 5h 23* Catalyst 65 5.5
Titleist DCI 962 2-PW DG S300
Cleveland 588 54*, Callaway PM Grind 58*
Cameron Mil-Spec 

I just got the email, Sumner Meadows is closing 9/30. This is really too bad, one of the best bargains around, I took advantage of heavily discounted golf when I was younger, plus they have a friendly staff that runs the course I think as good as you could on that land. Anyways, go play it before it's gone!

Ping Vault Anser 2

I played Lake Spanaway this weekend. The conditions were good. The greens felt soft but they rolled true and above average speed (I don't try to guestimate the stimp). The rough was very light and the ball sat up nicely.

PING VALOR CB 35"