LIVE CHAT / GIVEAWAY: True Temper on DG Pro, Thursday, July 18 at NOON ET

HipCheck

[quote name='TrueTemper' timestamp='1374160619' post='7482082']
[quote name='burniemac' timestamp='1373915387' post='7459298']
Would these be a good choice for wedge shafts for those of us that like a heavier shaft and how will they play at over length in the wedges?
[/quote]

[i]Absolutely. Cushioned feel at impact and can be built over length with no problem. Tour players are particularly commenting on the feel in the short irons/wedges.[/i]
[/quote]
Thanks for the answer I will be looking to put these in my new wedges then

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't play hybrids as I can't seen to play them any better then my 3/4 irons, I hope these DG Pro's will help me hit that higher shot when needed on long par 3's at my home course. definitely going to try the R300's. I believe these will be perfect replacement for my TT BG's.

Tour Issue TM M2 2016 w/Tensi Pro Blue S60
Tour Issue TM M2 15* w/ Adila ATX Green S
TM HFS 21* W GD TOUR AD di 7S
Cobra Pro mb 4-PW w/ Aldila RIP Tour R hard stepped
Titleist Vokey Proto's 54*,56*,60*
Tour Bettinardi BB0 DASS or
Tour Bettinardi BB1 'H' DASS 353g
Recent Acquisition SWAG Handsome One 
Titleist ProV1 X, TM TP X
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/351901-twshoot67s-bag-and-crazy-collection/page__st__30__p__8092784__hl__+twshoot67#entry8092784"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='TWshoot67' timestamp='1374138348' post='7479858']
[quote name='JCool' timestamp='1374123138' post='7479242']
In promotional ads, I've seen the ball flight diagrams of the new DG Pro. Could you please explain what is distinctive about the new DG Pro shafts that allows it to give the long and mid irons a higher launch but then flatten into a penetrating trajectory at the apex and giving great distance rather than the ballooning/distance loss due to the spin associated with some other brand shaft models?

Optional question: Will these be strictly Taper Tip shafts (.355), or will they be available as .370 parallel tip irons?
[/quote] I would bet they all have different kick points to control ball flights, maybe they call it a progressive kick point higher in short irons and lower in longer irons?
[/quote] I agree about the kickpoints, as that was noted in the description on the initial page. What I was wondering was what it is that makes the trajectory flatten at the apex?
Thanks, TW... for taking the time to respond to my question. I know that many folks aren't familiar with kickpoints and so on. While I have some knowledge of shaft tech, I don't know what it is that makes the ball trajectory flatten at apex when it comes to iron shafts. Maybe it has more to do with the ball than the shaft, as I noticed that True Temper didn't have time to get to my question.
The concept of different kickpoints is not a new one, as TT Black Gold has used it, and Rifle Flighted has used it, among others. I know they can move the COG around in driver heads and such as well as having more tech in the graphite shafts to allow drivers not to balloon. I was curious as to how they make an iron flatten out at the apex and then keep going at a penetrating trajectory before losing moment and beginning its' angle of descent.
Sorry if I wasn't more clear in my statement of my question, but it was very late at night when I wrote it.

I do hope these come in parallel tip shafts, as my current irons have that bore. I'm a do-it-yourselfer when it comes to clubbuilding and repair, but I don't have the equipment to re-bore an iron clubhead just to fit a taper tip shaft. Currently playing a TT Gold Plus model shaft that I took out of an old set of clubs from around 1990 :) Many folks won't remember that shaft, but it sure works well for most irons. I use hybrids for the 3 and 4 irons, so maybe I'll just switch to a higher kickpoint for the short irons.
That said, the DG Pro does sound like a shaft I could highly recommend to a friend who wants a full set, sans the hybrids I use to get the trajectory in the long irons.
Sounds like TT has built a winner here.

[quote name='TrueTemper' timestamp='1374163984' post='7482874']
[quote name='Johnny T' timestamp='1373938170' post='7461684']
Given that some of the things learned from the Monaco were incorporated into the DG Pro, would you say the DG Pro is a good alternative for those of us that like the Monaco put don't like the premium price?
[/quote]

[i]Absolutely! The next generation of performance. We’re always trying to build on some of our best designs and make them better.[/i]
[/quote]

Awesome! I liked the Monacos when I tried them so I may be giving these are hard look. Thanks for the reply!

Taylormade M3 460 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
Titleist 917 F2 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
Titleist 816 H1 - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8 HB
Cobra King Forged Tour - 5-PW - DG 105
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50/54/58 - DG 115
Scotty Cameron Futura 6M

[quote name='TWshoot67' timestamp='1374172403' post='7484376']
I don't play hybrids as I can't seen to play them any better then my 3/4 irons, I hope these DG Pro's will help me hit that higher shot when needed on long par 3's at my home course. definitely going to try the R300's. I believe these will be perfect [b]replacement for my TT BG's[/b].
[/quote]

There is no replacement for BGs my friend, they're simply in a class of their own. Love me some BGs, have them in a set of i-701 Tours at home. Love 'em!!

Ping G400 Max UST Proforce V2
TM M5 15* UST Proforce V2
Callaway Apex UW 19* PX HZRDUS Smoke Black
Srixon ZX5 - 4&5 MMT 105

Srixon ZX7 - 6-PW MMT 105
Edel SMS 50V/54V/58T Nippon 125
Odyssey MXM #1W

[quote name='trickludthakidz' timestamp='1374173463' post='7484512']
Greg thanks for you input and time.

And after 2 hours no answer to my question. Thanks for all the "how will these play compared to my KBS shafts" Questions.
[/quote]

[i]Sorry my friend. It was nonstop for 3 hours actually (started just before 10 Central to get ahead). Would love to be able to answer every question, but simply not possible. Reply to this post with your specific question again and I'll knock it out.[/i]

WITB

Driver-Titleist TSr3 9* w/ HZRDUS Green 60TX (HULK)

3 Wood-Titleist TSi2 15* w/ ACCRA TZFive 70 M5 (Masters Edition)

Irons-Taylormade P7MC 3-PW w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Wedges-Titleist Vokey 56.12D &60.12D w/ Dynamic Gold Mid S400

Putter-Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec Newport 2 w/ Steelfiber i125p

Thanks for taking the time to answer these questions. These shafts sound very intriguing to me - looking for something in between DG S300 and XP S300, and have loved the PX Flighted shafts. Can't wait until they show up in fitting carts and on the Mizuno optimizer.

Also can't wait for them to be released in lefty!

913D AD BB 6s
913 Fd 15 & 18 Blue S+ 82
Cobra S3 Pro
Vokey 52, 56, 60k
Ping Milled Anser

[quote name='TrueTemper' timestamp='1374178469' post='7485078']

And after 2 hours no answer to my question. Thanks for all the "how will these play compared to my KBS shafts" Questions.
[/quote]

[i]Sorry my friend. It was nonstop for 3 hours actually (started just before 10 Central to get ahead). Would love to be able to answer every question, but simply not possible. Reply to this post with your specific question again and I'll knock it out.[/i]
[/quote]Much has been said about the ideal launch the tour pros are requesting from the long irons. These shafts seem to address this. However it is mention in the description that this is due in part to the particular launch characteristics of the modern tour ball. What about golf balls being used by the recreational player? What effect will these have on a lower compression ball for the higher handicap player? Say a titleist velocity or even a noodle.

Thanks once again Greg

[quote name='RookieBlue7' timestamp='1374164254' post='7482924']
Don't really have a question, just want to jump in and say thanks to all the guys at True Temper for the opportunity to test the shafts through the WRX Test Group. For those that haven't gotten a chance to try the DG Pro yet, when they come to your area, if you're a DG person or if you like the feel of the KBS lines, you're gonna want to try these. They're incredible shafts.
[/quote]

Oh man, excited to hear that!

And I'll admit it...I'm a little jealous of you guys that got to test out the DG Pros.

Taylormade M3 460 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
Titleist 917 F2 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
Titleist 816 H1 - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8 HB
Cobra King Forged Tour - 5-PW - DG 105
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50/54/58 - DG 115
Scotty Cameron Futura 6M

[quote name='trickludthakidz' timestamp='1374179653' post='7485246']
[quote name='TrueTemper' timestamp='1374178469' post='7485078']

[/quote]

[/quote]Much has been said about the ideal launch the tour pros are requesting from the long irons. These shafts seem to address this. However it is mention in the description that this is due in part to the particular launch characteristics of the modern tour ball. What about golf balls being used by the recreational player? What effect will these have on a lower compression ball for the higher handicap player? Say a titleist velocity or even a noodle.

Thanks once again Greg
[/quote]

[i]Hey Greg. Good name and great question! One thing to consider with the recreational golfer and the golf balls designed for that player category (i.e. the balls you mention) is that they promote higher trajectories because the majority of all recreational golfers need assistance launching the golf ball higher...particularly with the driver and longer irons. With that being the case, many still want to be able to maximize control in their short irons. DG Pro will assist in making that a reality. Hope this helped and wish you all the best. [/i]

WITB

How do these compare to the Project X and the KBS Tour? I had been using the Project X for a long time and I really liked the ball flight I was getting from them. I went through a fitting and the fitter took me out of the Project X and put me into the KBS Tour. I have been using the KBS Tour for about a year now and I find the flight to be a little inconsistent compared to the PX. I'm looking for something with the feel of the KBS Tour and the Flight of the PX. Is this the shaft for me? The OG Dynamic Gold and Tour Issue DG don't feel "good" to me.

Thank you

Can't believe I thought this started tonight and missed it all day at work... Smh..

I read the weight differences... Can we get a swing weight difference? My irons are d3 w old s300s I'm wanting an x100- which are lighter in the New pro if I read correctly effecting total swing weight by how much I wonder?

Titleist 915D3 8.5* D+70x wb
Titleist 913f 14* 3w D+ 82x wb
Bridgestone 18* 5w Tour Aldila 'ByYou'
Mizuno MP-4 4-PW KBS TourV
Taylormade 50* NikeVrev 54* BV sm5 60*
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport2

awesome, thank you True Temper for the response. I also saw the post about similarity to the Dynalite XP S300 but heavier and I used to absolutely love them but eventually found them a bit too light and high flying. I am really looking foward to trying a set of the DG Pros!!

[quote name='TrueTemper' timestamp='1374160855' post='7482122']
[quote name='drifter12' timestamp='1373916599' post='7459428']
sounds like a great new shaft with the progressive design with VWT , that suits my flight preferences well. My question is this: I have loved the DG S300 for its stable feel and low launch (but found it a bit too low sometimes in the longer irons), and thus moved to the Project X for its smoothness, slightly higher flight and (for me) increased distance. Can you tell us a bit more on how the DG Pro matches up to these two shafts in terms of weight, feel, kickpoints, and flight? Thank you!
[/quote]

[i]If you loved everything about Dynamic Gold except the long irons then we’re pretty certain you’re going to LOVE DG Pro. The long irons will deliver a much higher launch and peak trajectory and you should pick up a couple of yards. Same control you love in Dynamic Gold! All the best.[/i]
[/quote]

TaylorMade Stealth 10.5
Titleist 906F4
TaylorMade Stealth 3 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX850 Forged 4-PW
TaylorMade MG3 Black 52/56

Scotty Phantom X7
.. and a collection of Odyssey #7s 🙂

the raw weight range for the S300 sounds perfect for my preferences.. def. the next shaft I want to try out.

[quote name='TrueTemper' timestamp='1374160767' post='7482110']
[quote name='slim16er' timestamp='1373916179' post='7459396']
What will be the actual weights for each flex? Did this come from the PX Flighted concept?
[/quote]

[i]Raw weights as follows: X100 - 129.5-125; S300 – 122.5 – 118; R300 – 133.5 - 109. DG Pro is a whole new level of performance. It is the first shaft to offer progressive weight and diameter reduction throughout the set. The separation created between the long and short irons is unlike anythign on the market today. All the best.[/i]
[/quote]

TaylorMade Stealth 10.5
Titleist 906F4
TaylorMade Stealth 3 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX850 Forged 4-PW
TaylorMade MG3 Black 52/56

Scotty Phantom X7
.. and a collection of Odyssey #7s 🙂

[quote name='TrueTemper' timestamp='1374169909' post='7484020']
[quote name='Nessism' timestamp='1374022981' post='7469286']
These DG Pro's seem like the holy grail of launch controlled shafts..

Love working on my own clubs. Are these shafts available over the counter though Performance Fitting Centers? How do I go about getting a set?
[/quote]

[i]You said it as far as launch controlled shafts! Yes… find your local Performance Fitting Center to get a set. You can find them on our site [url="http://www.truetemper.com"]www.truetemper.com[/url][/i]
[/quote]

Thanks so much for your response. You set the bar high Greg (Don's bag?) for this kind of event. You answered a LOT of questions. Bravo, and thanks again! I found a place to order a set and can't wait to get them.:D

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

[quote name='-o0DanKNesS0o-' timestamp='1374195246' post='7486918']
Can't believe I thought this started tonight and missed it all day at work... Smh..

I read the weight differences... Can we get a swing weight difference? My irons are d3 w old s300s I'm wanting an x100- which are lighter in the New pro if I read correctly effecting total swing weight by how much I wonder?
[/quote]

9g of shaft weight will alter the swingweight by 1 point.

Srixon ZX5 - 4&5 MMT 105

Odyssey MXM #1W

[quote name='TrueTemper' timestamp='1374163355' post='7482738']
[quote name='tsecor' timestamp='1373936197' post='7461418']
is this shaft aimed at a wider range of golfers much like the PX 95 flighted is? If so, how does it differ from the PX95 flighted shafts besides weight?
[/quote]

[i]DG Pro is very different as you will see from earlier answers. The PX Flighted is a descending weight, constant taper design. DG Pro has variable taper rates, grip sections and is semi descending weight. [/i][i]DG Pro varies significantly from PX or Rifle Flighted in terms of its progressive flex, weight and trajectory profile. [/i][i]All the best.[/i]
[/quote]
thank you for answering....looks like Im gonna try the DG pro!!!

[quote name='Anser' timestamp='1374252785' post='7492020']
Greg,

Are these in play by anyone on tour right now?

And

Any idea on potential cost per shaft?
[/quote]

He did state there were a few pros playing these, but didn't give names, just descriptions. I can't remember who they were, but they sounded like a few well known people when I was reading his earlier post.

I saw the post regarding price to be $320 for a set of 3-PW, which would put the cost at $40/ea.

Srixon ZX5 - 4&5 MMT 105

Odyssey MXM #1W

Because of likeness and naming rights we can't use player's names in any official statements.

The $320/set of 8 is the installed price at PFC dealers.

WITB

[quote name='hayzooos' timestamp='1374177838' post='7485016']
[quote name='TWshoot67' timestamp='1374172403' post='7484376']
I don't play hybrids as I can't seen to play them any better then my 3/4 irons, I hope these DG Pro's will help me hit that higher shot when needed on long par 3's at my home course. definitely going to try the R300's. I believe these will be perfect [b]replacement for my TT BG's[/b].
[/quote]

There is no replacement for BGs my friend, they're simply in a class of their own. Love me some BGs, have them in a set of i-701 Tours at home. Love 'em!!
[/quote]

Yes I have loved these shafts for some time now. really fit my swing well but I can always use a little more height on my 3,4 irons on those 200-220 shots into tough par 3's. I was hoping these DG pro's would help in that category. But I'm still playing the BG's in my Cobra's and don't see changing them out only for the fact it will be hard to find another New set of BG's.

Tour Issue TM M2 2016 w/Tensi Pro Blue S60
Tour Issue TM M2 15* w/ Adila ATX Green S
TM HFS 21* W GD TOUR AD di 7S
Cobra Pro mb 4-PW w/ Aldila RIP Tour R hard stepped
Titleist Vokey Proto's 54*,56*,60*
Tour Bettinardi BB0 DASS or
Tour Bettinardi BB1 'H' DASS 353g
Recent Acquisition SWAG Handsome One 
Titleist ProV1 X, TM TP X
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/351901-twshoot67s-bag-and-crazy-collection/page__st__30__p__8092784__hl__+twshoot67#entry8092784"]WITB Link[/url]

TT, what will the spin rate be with these versus the DG in a 3 iron? 6 iron? 9 iron? More, same, less?

Titleist TSi3 10* (at 9.25*) w/ Tour AD DI 6X 
Titleist TSR2 15* w/ Tour AD MJ 8X
Titleist TSR2 18* Hybrid w/ Fuji Atmos Blue Tour Spec 8X

Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3 iron w/ KBS Tour V S HS'd
Titleist 716CB 4-P w/ DG AMT TI X100 SS'd
Vokey SM7 Slate Blue 54.10 (1* strong) and 58.08 with Onyx DGTI S400
PING PLD DS72 34.5"

2021 ProV1 or Left Dash ProV1x (or random other tour quality balls LOL)

[quote name='Super Tuna' timestamp='1374269400' post='7494242']
[quote name='nova6868' timestamp='1374262856' post='7493456']
$40 each seems just a bit steep.
[/quote]

Presuming you wish to do the work yourself or have it done locally, check out forum sponsor Fairway Golf and their prices.
[/quote]

Good call on that one Tuna. Price straight up is $20/ea, which is WAY more reasonable. $140 for a set 4-PW.

Srixon ZX5 - 4&5 MMT 105

Odyssey MXM #1W

[quote name='hayzooos' timestamp='1374505526' post='7513240']
[/quote]

Presuming you wish to do the work yourself or have it done locally, check out forum sponsor Fairway Golf and their prices.
[/quote]

Good call on that one Tuna. Price straight up is $20/ea, which is WAY more reasonable. $140 for a set 4-PW.
[/quote]

Indeed. Even with shipping to Canada factored in, that creams the MRSP and the cost from Disty up here.

Though $320 isn't really unreasonable for a 8 iron set from a PFC dealer. That's $20 per shaft and a another $20 per club to have a high end shop ensure the install is correct. Considering somewhere like Golftown/Golfsmith charges at least $10 a shaft for install, the piece of mind having it done at a PFC shop would be worth the extra $80 to me (if I didn't do the work myself that is).

[quote name='Super Tuna' timestamp='1374512324' post='7514284']
[quote name='hayzooos' timestamp='1374505526' post='7513240']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Indeed. Even with shipping to Canada factored in, that creams the MRSP and the cost from Disty up here.

Though $320 isn't really unreasonable for a 8 iron set from a PFC dealer. That's $20 per shaft and a another $20 per club to have a high end shop ensure the install is correct. Considering somewhere like Golftown/Golfsmith charges at least $10 a shaft for install, the piece of mind having it done at a PFC shop would be worth the extra $80 to me (if I didn't do the work myself that is).
[/quote]

I agree with ya, but it's nice to see the raw price is lower than something like the C-Tapers and PXi and the bunch which go for $30-40/ea even if you're going to do the install yourself.

JW had a really good idea in another thread the other day regarding pricing of shafts and such for irons. I think he listed something out like a flat, normal rate for things like DG, KBS Tour, etc, then a $10 upcharge per shaft for like a C-Taper, PXi, KBS v2 (perhaps), DG Pro, and then $20/shaft upgrade for things like a Steelfiber, Recoil, etc.

I think there would be SO much more acceptance of these new shafts if people weren't charged $40/club upcharge when ordering clubs.

I would without question order a set of irons with some properly fitted Recoils or something like that if it wasn't so cost prohibitive to test them out.

Srixon ZX5 - 4&5 MMT 105

Odyssey MXM #1W