Anyone else disappointed in the SLDR? - OP REVIEW ON PG 14 9/13/13

DaBigSaus

[quote name='amateur pro' timestamp='1376620088' post='7685362']
So I always like looking at demo clubs after I know they have been hit by a bunch of people, primarily because I want to see the quality of the club, finish, etc after it has taken a beating or two. It's nice to see how it's going to look after 500+ hits. One thing that really threw me off...the SLDR badge on the sole was all dinged up and something didn't look right with it. Then I realized--it's a sticker! Like one of those thin metal stickers. The demo clubs all had the edges peeling up, since the sticker is on a curved surface. I couldn't believe it, it's not even glued or epoxied, its a straight up sticker... The corners were even catching on the practice mat when setting up at address. Anyone have one yet where they have noticed this?

I didn't see any revolutionary distances, but did notice the welcomed drop in spin and slight increase in launch angle. But if the build quality is suspect, I would rather stay away. Is this a known issue?
[/quote]

Did you take a picture? I like pictures. Pictures are nice. :)

[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]10.5* PING G30 Tour 65S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]15* TM RBZ Matrix Ozik 7S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]18.5* TM RBZ Tour Matrix Ozik 7S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]21.5* Bio Cell Hybrid[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]5-AW Srixon z545 C-Taper Lite S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]PING Glide 54*SS, 58*TS[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]Taylormade DLL+ 36"[/color][/size][/font]

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I noticed that it's a sticker too. Although I deem that a little silly, I see demo clubs as almost being a hurricane test on a house. If you stand there long enough and watch people hit them, you will see the brutality that ensues and those clubs are force to endure. People drop-kicking them 2 feet behind the ball, shots off the crown, sole, etc. I will occasionally catch a bit of ground of mine when I get stupid on a swing, but nothing like what those clubs endure. I am not too terribly worried about it, as I feel it will hold up fairly well to someone that takes care of/respects his equipment better than some of the ya-hoos using the demo clubs.

2024 Building In-progress

Qi10 Core Head 9* w/ AD-DI 6S  (I heart you AD DI and will never sway from you again)
Qi10 Tour 3W with shaft TBD
Callaway UW 17* with shaft TBD

Titleist TS2 19* Hybrid at 20* w/ PX Evenflow Blue 85 6.0

4-PW Srixon ZX7s w/ DG AMT White S300s
MG2 TW Grind 56/60 at 54/58
Spider Tour X3

And that's why I like to see demo clubs-because I know it is a hurricane test. Another reason I wanted to test drive the sldr was because it doesn't have a black pvd sole..which wears very quickly. I much prefer the silver finish on clubs. Keeps them looking classy and new longer.

With all that said, performance is still my #1 purchasing factor by a long shot....

But a sticker? C'mon man!

Actually, just palying devils advocate here, but I would rather have a sticker than paint. I know in the end, it will get a little scratched and dinged up just from tees and use. I would rather have a sticker I can remove, or maybe even replace, over the paint that is on a lot of the heads. I am just coming off having a R9 Supertri, so I completely understand the pain with PVD finishes. I too am actually a fan of them going to a polished head.

And that is an interesting perspective about looking at used clubs. I never thought of doing that, and to be honest, now I think that it's down-right genious. :)

2024 Building In-progress

Qi10 Core Head 9* w/ AD-DI 6S  (I heart you AD DI and will never sway from you again)
Qi10 Tour 3W with shaft TBD
Callaway UW 17* with shaft TBD

Titleist TS2 19* Hybrid at 20* w/ PX Evenflow Blue 85 6.0

4-PW Srixon ZX7s w/ DG AMT White S300s
MG2 TW Grind 56/60 at 54/58
Spider Tour X3

It's a tin adhesive decal - thin like a pop can. The one at my store is no longer on the club- just some goo where it came from.

Not the best idea but whatever. The red dial on the soleplate of the R1 is clear plastic. There is a "final design phase" team at TMAG who doesn't inspect for durability.

They need to learn from Titleist but whatever - The R1 is still a good golf club and the SLDR has a lot of adoption as well. Not the end of the world...

Callaway 816 DBD 9° Speeder TS
Titleist 915f 15° Diamana Blue
Callaway Apex Pro hybrid 3/20°
Callaway Apex Pro '16 4-A, Modus 120-TS
Vokey 50/54/60
Odyssey Works Rossie

Hit it today. Looks ok. But my gripe was how the club face looked like it was in a closed stance.

Numbers didn't work for me.

Granted I just picked it up and started hitting in the bay. But somehow I left 15-20 yards less than my current gamer. Didn't play with any of the settings.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815
FW: Callaway Big Bertha 3W
FW: Callaway Big Bertha 5W
Hybrid: Callaway RAZR X Tour 3H
Irons: Callaway Apex 4-9, PW, AW, SW
Putter: Odyssey Metal X Milled #9HT

[quote name='station2station' timestamp='1376624607' post='7685844']
It's a tin adhesive decal - thin like a pop can. The one at my store is no longer on the club- just some goo where it came from.

Not the best idea but whatever. The red dial on the soleplate of the R1 is clear plastic. There is a "final design phase" team at TMAG who doesn't inspect for durability.

They need to learn from Titleist but whatever - The R1 is still a good golf club and the SLDR has a lot of adoption as well. Not the end of the world...
[/quote]

Maybe this will be the HUGE change in the rumored v2. I can see it now...cnc machined sole plate logo stabilizes the head by 50%, which will lead to 5mph increase in ball speed and add 17 more yards!!

Frankly, I am not interested in any driver that does not provide the ability for the user to easily change weights to adjust Swingweight.
This should be a priority of any OEM when designing these clubs....IMHO.

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN6 Two Sets 0311XP, Double Black and Xtreme Dark, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

[quote name='Golfrnut' timestamp='1376624187' post='7685792']
Actually, just palying devils advocate here, but I would rather have a sticker than paint. I know in the end, it will get a little scratched and dinged up just from tees and use. I would rather have a sticker I can remove, or maybe even replace, over the paint that is on a lot of the heads. I am just coming off having a R9 Supertri, so I completely understand the pain with PVD finishes. I too am actually a fan of them going to a polished head.

And that is an interesting perspective about looking at used clubs. I never thought of doing that, and to be honest, now I think that it's down-right genious. :)
[/quote]

Second person that has called me a genius on WRX..must be true? Lol

[quote name='Big Ben' timestamp='1376664427' post='7687534']
Hit one of these again yesterday on the course, this is lowest spinning driver I've EVER tried, not for me AT ALL...BB
[/quote]

It prob works for some people - but when I hit the SLDR it flies like a ball with no dimples.

Callaway 816 DBD 9° Speeder TS
Titleist 915f 15° Diamana Blue
Callaway Apex Pro hybrid 3/20°
Callaway Apex Pro '16 4-A, Modus 120-TS
Vokey 50/54/60
Odyssey Works Rossie

[quote name='station2station' timestamp='1376672155' post='7688396']
Hit one of these again yesterday on the course, this is lowest spinning driver I've EVER tried, not for me AT ALL...BB
[/quote]

It prob works for some people - but when I hit the SLDR it flies like a ball with no dimples.
[/quote]Station I totally agree, my ball moved in some unique directions before promptly working its way back to earth. I have a very nuetral AOA and my swingspeed averages 103-107 depending on my back and I couldn't spin it nearly enough....BB

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

[quote name='Big Ben' timestamp='1376699045' post='7690962']
[quote name='station2station' timestamp='1376672155' post='7688396']
[/quote]

[/quote]Station I totally agree, my ball moved in some unique directions before promptly working its way back to earth. I have a very nuetral AOA and my swingspeed averages 103-107 depending on my back and I couldn't spin it nearly enough....BB
[/quote]

what loft did you get? shaft?
I have been trying both 9.5 and 10.5
at first the 9.5 was going way left
now the 10.5 is way too high.
I think i'll go back to the 9.5 and move weight to fade bias.
I am using a tour ad di 6 stiff,, and will also try my kai'li 60 XS

I tried one and it did not work for me. I hit my R11S better and my G25 far better. These things are so finicky. Everyone should try one for themselves because what does not work for some, may be the best since sliced bread for another. Don't let what I or some other person on the internet keep you from trying a SLDR. Try one for yourself and then pass judgement.

You think SLDR is the dumbest name for a driver? How about the cleverly named ROCKETBALZ? Taylormade is a gimmick factory. If they invested an eighth of their advertising money and actually put it into some real R & D they might b able to make some worthwhile clubs. I just hope the board at Adam's wises up and buys their company back before TM ruins them.

Titleist 910D2 w/Diamana D+
Bio Cell + 5-7
MP 53 4-PW
Edel 58*
Ping TR 1966 Anser

Like I posted in a different thread, I was disappointed with my SLDR. I got the 10.5 degree head with the stock stiff Speeder. I could never get dialed in with it where I could hit two or more drives the same. Tried a shaft from my R1 and it wasn't much different.

I didn't like the 20 gram weight on the bottom. It is too much concentrated in one area. I want the ability to be able to put different weights in and lessen the head weight if I need to.

I didn't like the head color with the silver face. R1 black is much nicer.

I really think this driver is going to be a huge failure for TM. Too low of spin for a majority of players and I think there is going to be some issues with that weight itself.

[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]10.5* PING G30 Tour 65S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]15* TM RBZ Matrix Ozik 7S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]18.5* TM RBZ Tour Matrix Ozik 7S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]21.5* Bio Cell Hybrid[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]5-AW Srixon z545 C-Taper Lite S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]PING Glide 54*SS, 58*TS[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]Taylormade DLL+ 36"[/color][/size][/font]

[quote name='soregongolfer' timestamp='1376795936' post='7696834']
I hit it today for the first time. High launch and high spin for me. They didn't have an 8 degree for me to try (my usual loft).
[/quote]
I was getting abnormally high spin numbers for what I expected as well. I went in expecting nothing, but I couldn't get it under 2400RPM no matter what I did(My optimal Target range is 1600-2100RPM). I also wanted to hit an 8° and they didn't have one.

What shaft did you hit it with? I was hitting moon shots, 45yds+ peak trajectory. I don't want to be over 30yds, 35MAX peak. I want roll on my drives, not pure Carry.

SLDR 460 8.5° / TEE XCG6 16.5°
2-PW '94 Ram FXTG / Rifle 7.0
Cally Jaws CC SW 55° / LW 60°
Arm Lock Ping Cushin / Salty Grip.
WITB Link

[quote name='Froth' timestamp='1376797595' post='7696966']
[quote name='soregongolfer' timestamp='1376795936' post='7696834']
I hit it today for the first time. High launch and high spin for me. They didn't have an 8 degree for me to try (my usual loft).
[/quote]
I was getting abnormally high spin numbers for what I expected as well. I went in expecting nothing, but I couldn't get it under 2400RPM no matter what I did(My optimal Target range is 1600-2100RPM). I also wanted to hit an 8° and they didn't have one.

What shaft did you hit it with? I was hitting moon shots, 45yds+ peak trajectory. I don't want to be over 30yds, 35MAX peak. I want roll on my drives, not pure Carry.
[/quote]

[size=4]I hit both the stock Speeder in X flex and the TP [color=#666666]Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 6.3 in Stiff. They didn't have a X. I was launching that TP at 20*. Spin was in the mid to high 2000's and that was after I cranked the 9.5* head down to 8*. SS was between 113-115. Ball speed ranged from 141 to 173. My current gamer is the Supertri in 8* with the Fubuki shaft and hit it lower than the SLDR. I've always been a high ball hitter, but I've never produced anything as high as I did today with SLDR. I mean, these balls were launched WAY, WAY, WAY higher. Words can't convey how much higher than normal these balls were. [/color][/size]

[quote name='Ti-Cip ' timestamp='1376806042' post='7697310']
Wow!!! 50% say they can't get the sldr up, and 50% say they need 8* or lower!!! So much golfwrx hype!!!!
I wonder if many on here just make crap up...
[/quote]

0% of the 25 that are confirmed fitted by TM had too high of launch or high spin. Just sayin'.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 w/ Tensei CK Pro Orange 60S

Fairway: TTE E8 Beta w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 110 70S

Driving Iron:  PXG 0311X 2i w/ Tensei CK Pro White 90S

Hybrid:  PXG 0317X Gen2 19o w/ Tensei CK Pro Orange 90S

Irons:  PXG 0311P Gen4 5-G w/ AeroTech SteelFiber 115fc S

Wedges:  Taylormade MG2 56o & 60o

Putter:  Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

[quote name='rbilramz' timestamp='1376809043' post='7697370']
Wow!!! 50% say they can't get the sldr up, and 50% say they need 8* or lower!!! So much golfwrx hype!!!!
[/quote]

0% of the 25 that are confirmed fitted by TM had too high of launch or high spin. Just sayin'.
[/quote]

Yes, one doesn't know if the above problems are with the driver, the golfer's setup, angle of attack, or swing...

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

[/quote]

At one point I laughed and said, "Low launch monster my a$$."

[quote name='soregongolfer' timestamp='1376805866' post='7697306']
[size=4]I hit both the stock Speeder in X flex and the TP [color=#666666]Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 6.3 in Stiff. They didn't have a X. I was launching that TP at 20*. Spin was in the mid to high 2000's and that was after I cranked the 9.5* head down to 8*. SS was between 113-115. Ball speed ranged from 141 to 173. My current gamer is the Supertri in 8* with the Fubuki shaft and hit it lower than the SLDR. I've always been a high ball hitter, but I've never produced anything as high as I did today with SLDR. I mean, these balls were launched WAY, WAY, WAY higher. Words can't convey how much higher than normal these balls were. [/color][/size]
[/quote]
You described almost exactly what I was experiencing, Your swing speed and ball speed are almost a mirror of mine and so was your experience with the SLDR. I game an 8° Srixon XXIO right now and it's a low-spin beast, lowest ball flight I've had all year. Perhaps it takes a very special shaft combo to get the spin down with the SLDR, I wouldn't mind doing a full proper fitting session with the SLDR just to see what I can get out of it and if there is some trick to the shaft that needs to be in it. Then perhaps I'll buy one when the prices come down and the flaws are worked out of the design. I have not hit a lower lofted, higher launching driver yet(I've hit over 30 Drivers this year trying to find "the one"). I actually said "Eww, what's up with the spin...Thought this was supposed to be really low spin?" to the Employee at 'Galaxy. He assured me the simulator was accurate, though I'm still not sure. Absolute moon shots, way way out of my normal range.

Did you experience that a low-face hit felt the same as a center strike? That was my largest complaint about the club. I actually liked the looks in person MUCH more than in pictures. Really not bad at all in the looks department.

[/quote]
Worry less about others and more about yourself, you'll live longer. :) I'm still wondering how anyone can say it doesn't spin enough. It was hitting the highest drives of anything I've ever hit with that low of a loft and no matter what I did I could not get it under 2400rpm. I got a bone stock off-the-shelf Stiff flex Cleveland Classic XL down under 2400rpm in the same bay I hit the SLDR in...

SLDR 460 8.5° / TEE XCG6 16.5°
2-PW '94 Ram FXTG / Rifle 7.0
Cally Jaws CC SW 55° / LW 60°
Arm Lock Ping Cushin / Salty Grip.
WITB Link