2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Chew: What are you dippin?

Smash Factors

I live in MS, the heart of tobacco user country. We get any and all flavors, we are actually a test market for a lot of new stuff. We had Skoal Citrus and Apple waaaaay before anyone else did. I dip Cope Wintergreen Longcut but I'm on the trying to quit train as well, slowly weening myself off of the worm dirt.

Anyone needs a log of Southern Blend, PM me and I'll hook y'all up...

TaylorMade M5 10.5* Atmos Black 6x TS
TaylorMade M5 15* Pro 2.0 7x
915Hd 2H & 3H Speeder 904HB X
TaylorMade P790, 4-P DG 105 Stiff
TaylorMade Milled Grind 50SB, 54SB, 60 Hi Toe
TaylorMade DJ Spider 34" UST Frequency Filtered
TP5X

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a hockey player (seriously, spend enough time around a group of them and you'll find that they dip as much as baseball players) I am pretty much obligated to chew, but like the rest of my life choices I went against the grain and use snus. Must be my appreciation for many things Swedish--Ikea, Volvo cars, H&M, Robyn, et cetera.

Anyway, there's a Mobil station near me that put a General fridge in and hasn't bothered to change the price of their tins from when they did a 99 cent intro special. Needless to say, they've been getting my business.

917D3 9.5 (Diamana D+ 70S)
XCG4 15 (RIP Sigma 71S)
LDI 21 (G-Series 85S)
762 DCI 4-PW (DG S300)
MacGregor/Bobby Grace M5KGT
Jones 52, Vokey TVD-M 56, MP T-11 60

• 2 weeks later...

Copenhagen Long Cut & Copenhagen Wintergreen. Used to mix in Copenhagen Pouches now and again. Chew a can of Cherry Skoal every couple months. Tried to quit many times. Quitting for real next week. So long dippers!

Titleist 909 D2 Diamana Blueboard
Titleist 909 F2 Diamana Blueboard
Mizuno MP69 3-P S300
Nike Engage 52 S - 56 TS - 60 S
Guerin Rife Cayman Brac
Sun Mountain SwiftX
Taylormade Tour Preferred

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Zapp Brannigan' timestamp='1373833873' post='7453144']
As a hockey player (seriously, spend enough time around a group of them and you'll find that they dip as much as baseball players) I am pretty much obligated to chew, but like the rest of my life choices I went against the grain and use snus. Must be my appreciation for many things Swedish--Ikea, Volvo cars, H&M, Robyn, et cetera.

Anyway, there's a Mobil station near me that put a General fridge in and hasn't bothered to change the price of their tins from when they did a 99 cent intro special. Needless to say, they've been getting my business.
[/quote]

I am from sweden and go to school in tampa. Really happy when I found out that a tobacco shop near the school sells general white. $5 for one....wouldnt mind that 99 cent special

I start school back up tomorrow and I've had trouble sleeping since quitting so I splurged and threw one in right now. I had to scrounge to find an old tin with a pinch left, it was pepper dry but added a little water and Wa La lol. I'm done buying tins though.

Titleist TSi3 10* w/ Tour AD GP-6
Titleist U510 16* w/ HZRDUS Smoke 
Titleist 818H2 21* w/ Alidila Rogue 
Titleist 712 AP2 w/ X100
Titleist Vokey SM6 50/56/60
Scotty Cameron 009 1.5 Neck

[quote name='Arizonalefty59' timestamp='1376891790' post='7703260']
I start school back up tomorrow and I've had trouble sleeping since quitting so I splurged and threw one in right now. I had to scrounge to find an old tin with a pinch left, it was pepper dry but added a little water and Wa La lol. I'm done buying tins though.
[/quote]

just say no man.

[quote name='tofur99' timestamp='1376952676' post='7708156']
[quote name='Arizonalefty59' timestamp='1376891790' post='7703260']
[/quote]

just say no man.
[/quote]
Just need to set up some boundaries. I don't know about y'all but I can't put one in on the course unless sh*t has hit the fan.

• 2 months later...

Welll i though id bring this old thread back up. Quit about a week ago. I've been a can or more a day guy for the last 6 years roughly.

I've been sober about a year now which was much easier than this week.

G400 Max 9* Ping tour 65r   

G410 17.5* Atmos Blue 7r

G25 23* oban devotion

G400 5-U AWT 2.0

Tour-W 56* AWT

Karsten Craz-e

Black Hoofer C-1 

K Sig

• 2 weeks later...

Grizzly Wintergreen, nothing else satisfies. That cool burn is hard to beat.

[quote name='PA-lefty' timestamp='1376585021' post='7681980']
Not a fan. Watching a guy carry around an empty 20 oz soda bottle so he can then fill it back up with brown saliva... I never did see the appeal.
[/quote]
Simple solution, be a man and gut it. I don't spit, I gut it and have for a few years. After the first week it doesn't bother you any more.

SLDR 460 8.5° / TEE XCG6 16.5°
2-PW '94 Ram FXTG / Rifle 7.0
Cally Jaws CC SW 55° / LW 60°
Arm Lock Ping Cushin / Salty Grip.
WITB Link

• 3 years later...

I started this terrible habit again. I was working for the Twins and the players would leave behind tins in the dugout so...voila. I am chewing again (for now).

Kayak chew is awesome chew for the money. $4.30 (before tax) here at Smokedale smoke shop for a tin and the stuff is better than Grizzly in my opinion. They have Wintergreen, Mint, reg, Grape, apple, peach. It's damn decent stuff for the money.

Cleveland Launcher DTS 9*
Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
MacGregor VIP V-Foil 1025 C - 7-PW
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1013287-my-v-foils/"]WITB Link[/url]

I started this terrible habit again. I was working for the Twins and the players would leave behind tins in the dugout so...voila. I am chewing again (for now).

Kayak chew is awesome chew for the money. $4.30 (before tax) here at Smokedale smoke shop for a tin and the stuff is better than Grizzly in my opinion. They have Wintergreen, Mint, reg, Grape, apple, peach. It's damn decent stuff for the money.

I remember when Kayak first came out and I picked up a can since it was only $1.50. I got apple and it was the worst dip I had ever had. 13 years later and I can still taste the awfulness of it.

• 5 weeks later...

I could swear Boo has a big old chaw in today (and all weekend). Maybe not, but it looks like it.

Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP

I have many faults and this is one of them. Since I guess I've found a new found way of telling about my faults I'll give the entire story. I started when I was in 5th grade. I grew up in a rural farming community and at least 50% of the boys dipped by middle school. There was even a few farm girls that did. It was such a non story back then that you had no issue buying it, and wouldn't even get in trouble at school for using it. Once on two successive days the principal of my high school walked into the restroom while I was in there and it smelled like smoke. He naturally assumed that it was me and made blow in his face to smell my breath. I wasn't the smoker but I had a dip of Skoal Wintergreen Fine Cut in, as I pretty much all the time did. He new it and didn't care since I wasn't the smoker.

I used the Wintergreen fine cut for about 25 years, almost exclusively. I tried them all but always went back. I switched to the Skoal extra mint long cut a few years back and to the pouches at work, mainly due to price. It was a buck fifty less a can. I've since switched to the Cope Mint LC as my go to with the Cope Mint Pouches for work. Good snuff. Ha. At any rate, I'm hopelessly hooked. I've half heartedly tried to quit a few times and can easily switch over to the gum or mints, I just have never been able to wean down from them. By easily switch I mean that if I chew 3 pieces of gum or suck on three mints at a time I don't have an immediate nicotine withdrawal. They're also too expensive to use forever and I always switch back mainly due to this. I'm also not a spitter. I've worked at my current location for 6 years now and the only people that know that I dip only know because I've told them. They're usually always shocked, especially when they learn that I ALWAYS have two pouches in my mouth at a minimum. Always. I eat with it in. I sleep with a dip in most nights. I think I've fathered three kids with a dip in. Again that's a minimum.

As for duration and usage rates, if I'm at work I'll typically keep the same two pouches in for about half the day. When I switch to the good stuff outside of there, it's pretty variable. I probably get an average of two hours out of one. Like a green in golf I move the pin location around. Back left or back right means that I'm still trying to be discreet such as when I'm coaching the kids baseball or football teams. That or I'm using the pouches at work. Like I stated, no one ever knows I do until I tell them. When at home and not caring who sees, it's either (front) top or bottom left or right. One site gets a little irratated and I'll let it sit out a few holes. Usually the top ones only do. I get about 6 dips out of a can of long cut. We used to call them jaw stretchers. They're stretched my brother, they're stretched. As a result I usually go through one can of LC a day. On off work days I'll go through 1.5. The pouches are a little less aggressive and I go through a can of this every 2-3 work days on average.

The only thing that's remotely close to a cool story about this, a while back I hired a total knockout young blond girl. The big joke I always say when I run into someone that sees me buying it a gas station or C Store is that I tell them I'm buying it for my wife. Anyways sure enough I grab a can and turn around and she's right behind me. She tells me that she didn't know I dipped and I told her that no I didn't and that my wife did (please don't tell her this is my big joke, the family jewels won't see 2018) and I was merely buying it for her. She bought it hook line and sinker and said, "oh, she does too?" Now I'm the one thinking that the jokes on me and I ask her what on earth is she talking about. She tells me that she dips, Grizzly LC Wintergreen to boot. I basically laugh at this and tell her "yeah right ". She assures me that she does and I'm just about totally dumbfounded. I saw a few ladies do it way back when in school but they were always rough and tumble farm girls that could probably kick my butt if they wanted. I tell her I won't believe it until I see it and she then asks me if she's allowed to do it in the break room at work. I tell her that I have no issue there and I was still thinking that my chain was being yanked. No. It was not. The next time I work with her she throws one in in the break room. She is seriously at least a 9.5 and I was more than shocked at this. I still don't know how I feel about it but it was pretty funny to hear her state that her boyfriend wouldn't kiss her because of this.

• 7 months later...

Kayak was making me sick.

Had to switch to Skoal Xtra. Wintergreen. I also throw in Skoal Apple here and there. Brings back memories of college 10 years ago.

Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP

I have been chew free for 3 going on 4 weeks now, the flu helped me out for the first week. I have chewed and smoked non stop for 25 years. I actually enjoyed both of them, it wasn`t a nicotine thing, it was habit. But as age sets in a bit and teeth become sensitive to toothpaste, something needs to stop. Now maybe those cigs are next. You younger guys should do yourselves a favor and consider a better alternative,seriously.

• 5 months later...

I’ve been quit for a little over a month now. I decided to just quit while we were on vacation. After I quit I started getting a few rough patches on my gums and cheek. I go Friday for the second time to have more of it cut out as the first biopsy came back undetermined. He said he doesn’t think it’s cancer but they want the whole bits to test at the lab he sends it to. So I get to have the rest cut out (hopefully) Friday. For those that dip, it sucks to be playing this waiting game and the cutting of stuff out of your mouth tissue isn’t fun. If you can, quit dipping now before you end up where I am.