Anyone else disappointed in the SLDR? - OP REVIEW ON PG 14 9/13/13

DaBigSaus

[quote name='Froth' timestamp='1376810632' post='7697412']
[quote name='soregongolfer' timestamp='1376805866' post='7697306']
I hit both the stock Speeder in X flex and the TP [color=#666666]Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 6.3 in Stiff. They didn't have a X. I was launching that TP at 20*. Spin was in the mid to high 2000's and that was after I cranked the 9.5* head down to 8*. SS was between 113-115. Ball speed ranged from 141 to 173. My current gamer is the Supertri in 8* with the Fubuki shaft and hit it lower than the SLDR. I've always been a high ball hitter, but I've never produced anything as high as I did today with SLDR. I mean, these balls were launched WAY, WAY, WAY higher. Words can't convey how much higher than normal these balls were. [/color]
[/quote]
You described almost exactly what I was experiencing, Your swing speed and ball speed are almost a mirror of mine and so was your experience with the SLDR. I game an 8° Srixon XXIO right now and it's a low-spin beast, lowest ball flight I've had all year. Perhaps it takes a very special shaft combo to get the spin down with the SLDR, I wouldn't mind doing a full proper fitting session with the SLDR just to see what I can get out of it and if there is some trick to the shaft that needs to be in it. Then perhaps I'll buy one when the prices come down and the flaws are worked out of the design. I have not hit a lower lofted, higher launching driver yet(I've hit over 30 Drivers this year trying to find "the one"). I actually said "Eww, what's up with the spin...Thought this was supposed to be really low spin?" to the Employee at 'Galaxy. He assured me the simulator was accurate, though I'm still not sure. Absolute moon shots, way way out of my normal range.

Did you experience that a low-face hit felt the same as a center strike? That was my largest complaint about the club. I actually liked the looks in person MUCH more than in pictures. Really not bad at all in the looks department.

[quote name='Ti-Cip ' timestamp='1376806042' post='7697310']
Wow!!! 50% say they can't get the sldr up, and 50% say they need 8* or lower!!! So much golfwrx hype!!!!
I wonder if many on here just make crap up...
[/quote]
Worry less about others and more about yourself, you'll live longer. :) I'm still wondering how anyone can say it doesn't spin enough. It was hitting the highest drives of anything I've ever hit with that low of a loft and no matter what I did I could not get it under 2400rpm. I got a bone stock off-the-shelf Stiff flex Cleveland Classic XL down under 2400rpm in the same bay I hit the SLDR in...
[/quote]

I wanted so much to like this driver. After all, I'm swinging a four year old Supertri. I'm itching for something new. They ordered me a TP in X-flex to try. No obligation to me so why not.

I didn't hit anything low on the face. I hit the vast majority of the balls high on the face. Their tee was set up a tad bit higher than what is usual for me.

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, The booth never seems to have the correct tee-height for me and I'm either worried about skying one off the crown or it's just too damn low for a 460cc... I wanted to like the SLDR too, I went in with a clear open mind and I walked away pretty much bummed. Even the Employee that pulled it off the shelf and taped it up for me(not a demo, brand new off-shelf) Said people that hit it either loved it and bought it or hit it and handed it back to him and said "Nope, not this one". I'm waiting for Golfsmith to get their demos in as they have better booths with adjustable height tees in them, I trust their simulators a lot more as I've had a few of my Gamers in them to try out and they were pretty much on-point with what they should be. I'm not giving up on the SLDR yet, but It's not looking good. Driver search continues...

With all the quality control issues I'm reading about for the club it's making me wonder if there's some out there that are TOO LOW of a spin and some that are too high. I wish they'd get the quality control on point and produce a consistent across-the-board club so I don't have to second guess everything I try that they make. Making me wonder about the new Tight-Lies that I want to hit as well, since TM bought out Adams. I'd really like to find an acceptable replacement for my super dated 975F.

SLDR 460 8.5° / TEE XCG6 16.5°
2-PW '94 Ram FXTG / Rifle 7.0
Cally Jaws CC SW 55° / LW 60°
Arm Lock Ping Cushin / Salty Grip.
WITB Link

For those talking about the SLDR and weight ports meaning a non-conforming driver, ask CH3 about it. While it wasn't the weight that came out, a port cover came out.

[quote]“The small toe-cap (weighing less than a gram) came off the driver head during my warm-up for the second round in Greensboro,” Howell explained in a written statement. “Prior to teeing off, I spoke to the guys at TaylorMade about the toe-cap coming off to be sure that it wouldn't impact the performance of the club. I was assured it would not effect the club's performance. The idea that the club would no longer be conforming, because of the missing toe-cap, never entered my mind.”[size=4]
When Wallin informed Howell of the infraction before his 8:45 a.m. tee time, Howell said, “That kind of means I’m gone.”[/size][size=4]
Indeed, it does.[/size]
“What that little port cover coming off did was made the club non-conforming because there’s a little hole under that cover that they use to put a hot wax weight in the club and without that cover on there, the club has a hole through it which you cannot have,” Wallin said. “You cannot have a hole that’s uncovered into the club or going through the club. So that’s what made the club non-conforming.”[/quote]

Cobra Fly Z+ 8.5* w/ Diamana D+ 70x
Tour Edge CB Pro 14.5* w/ Speeder 757x
Mizuno MP-H4 2i w/ C-Taper 130
Cobra Fly Z+ 3i-5i w/ C-Taper 130
Cobra Fly Z Pro 6-PW w/ C-Taper 130
Callaway MD2 50*/S and 56*/T
Bettinardi Sabbatini Flow Neck Proto
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/145720-jakebarnes-witb-updated-828/page__hl__%20jakebarnes"]WITB Link[/url]

Pretty critical oversight to have a hole in the club covered up by a trap door you can pop off in half a second with a standard Tee or your house key. They could have at least put a hard plastic plug in the hot-melt hole under it(Like every other hot-melt injection hole I've seen, ever) - but I'm sure that would add $.0004 to the cost of the club, so they didn't do it. I've already read numerous reports of people having that same cover come off during play, or on the range. *Sigh*.

WITB Link

[quote name='Froth' timestamp='1376773828' post='7695040']
[quote name='Derek666' timestamp='1376773779' post='7695038']
[b] Anyone else disappointed in the SLDR?[/b]

Charles Howell III
[/quote]
I was waiting for that.
[/quote]

+1

Ping G30 10.5 Driver Tour 80 75g S
Ping G30 5-wood TFC 419F 57g S
Ping i25 3-UW irons KBS Tour S
Ping Gorge 54SS, 58SS KBS Tour S
Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, ProV1X
WITB Link

Just got my SLDR on Thursday and have played a couple rounds with it now. I will say that it is definitely higher launching and lower spin compared to my R1 Black. Today I even swapped in my R1 shaft just to remove that as a variable. For me, the lower spin seemed to help keep the ball on line longer, and I was noticeably straighter with it. Distance wise, I'd give a slight edge to the SLDR, just because in soft conditions today, the ball actually did roll out. Normally my ball would just land and hop once in these conditions. Just my initial thoughts, subject to change. But it definitely earned a slot in the bag, at least for my outing this week.

Now, as for the name of the driver, I'd suggest that a better name might be NKLR.

Member of TMAG #TeamJetspeed 2013

[quote name='station2station' timestamp='1375935452' post='7629662']
It didn't work for me. No hating - just a bad fit. Spin was too low. Carry 250, roll another 50 = 300. Not my kind of golf. Tried several shafts - spoke to this point at length in another thread.

YMMV.
[/quote]

My experience also. Not enough spin. Went to TMPL expressly to get fitted for the SLDR and couldn't get enough spin to keep it in the air. Tried all their higher launching/spinning shafts. Keeping my D2 for now.

Finally got a chance to hit this one. Not bad. For ME, better than the R1.

Didn't find exceptionally high launch. Launched pretty well. But I did find rather low spin which works for me as I tend to spin it too much.

Standard shaft worked pretty well but the TP worked better. Much tighter dispersion and virtually the same distance.

Not sure I'll be pulling the trigger on it though. Have to hit it at least 3 or 4 more times,,,,,,,,,,,,

[font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#ff8c00][b]Cobra Bio Cell+[/b][/color]
[color=#000080][b]Adams A12 Pro 16, 20, 23[/b][/color]
[b][color=#696969]Ping G20, 5-SW, C-Taper stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#ff0000][b]TM xft wedge 64[/b][/color]
[b][color="#000000"]Scotty Futura X[/color][/b][/font]
[font=comic sans ms,cursive][b]ProV1x[/b][/font]

I wish all the 25 guys who were fitted for this driver would come forward and share their experience with the SLDR.
We've got guys talking about quality control issues ( I've heard of two and they may not be a manufacturing issue, rather human error in the fitting van and on the hitting mat )
We've got guys with incredibly opposite experiences with a driver that is designed as high launch / lower spin that is supposed to be hit lower in the face than most drivers.
Some are hitting it too low with low spin
Some are hitting it too low with too much spin. ( Huh?)
Some hitting too high with too low spin ( this is the point of the driver, I thought).
And finally, we have the too high too much spin crowd.
We just can't seem to get any kind of reliable consensus and some guys are going so far as to suggest that the clubs are being manufactured so far out of spec that some are higher launching higher spinning (by a lot if you believe all that) while others don't spin enough.
While I have no dog in this fight, my own experience is that the club launches higher than normal ( for me) and is the lowest spinning driver I've ever hit ( around 2000 rpm on average).
I'd personally like to hear from the broader spectrum of members who were fitted specifically to the club. I'm not sure I can trust the x shaft 115mph crowd who insist the club is a design and manufacturing disaster. I really don't think this is the case. Perhaps what we are seeing in this thread is the normally expected results of any club being tested. It is not for everybody, not everyone can get it to work for them ( at least in the short haul). But I don't believe for a second the the reason it doesn't fit is shoddy workmanship or a design flaw. It is just the normal order of things and that is why there are so many offerings from so many companies....there are so many golfers with so many different needs.
25 were fitted by TM. I'd love to hear their stories. I think we would get a lot closer to the truth if they talked.

R11S 8* square; Stock stiff
Maltby KE4 14* 3w , Axe Excaliber R flex tipped 1"
RBZ 25* hb; RBZstage 2 19* hb
Mizuno MP30 5 - PW, AXE Excaliber stiff, Hogan Apex PC E Wedge (50*) TT DG s300
GM Never Compromise GM2 putter
54*, 58* TM TP wedges 3* flat

[quote name='nbg352' timestamp='1376924317' post='7704872']
25 were fitted by TM. I'd love to hear their stories. I think we would get a lot closer to the truth if they talked.
[/quote]

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/879780-golfwrx-taylormade-sldr-driver-fitting-sessions-review-and-recaps/

Pretty safe to say that the consensus was overwhelmingly positive.

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

[quote name='bcflyguy1' timestamp='1376924645' post='7704926']
[/quote]

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/879780-golfwrx-taylormade-sldr-driver-fitting-sessions-review-and-recaps/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...iew-and-recaps/[/url]
[/quote]
Thank you bcflyguy. Hopefully everyone will find this to be a good and informed read.

[quote name='nbg352' timestamp='1376927570' post='7705344']
[quote name='bcflyguy1' timestamp='1376924645' post='7704926']
[/quote]

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/879780-golfwrx-taylormade-sldr-driver-fitting-sessions-review-and-recaps/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...iew-and-recaps/[/url]
[/quote]
Thank you bcflyguy. Hopefully everyone will find this to be a good and informed read.
[/quote]

I try to put something up during my lunch

Twitter: @itsnotgriffin
Site: [url="http://www.thebottomgroove.com/"]www.thebottomgroove.com[/url]

WITB:
Callaway Big Bertha Epic 10.5
Callaway BBA 5 Wood
Callaway XR 7 Wood - Frankenstyle
Apex Hybrid 23deg
Apex Pro 5i-PW
MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
MD3 60 PM Grind
Odyssey O-Works - #1/3T (putter commitment issues)

I wish all the 25 guys who were fitted for this driver would come forward and share their experience with the SLDR.
We've got guys talking about quality control issues ( I've heard of two and they may not be a manufacturing issue, rather human error in the fitting van and on the hitting mat )
We've got guys with incredibly opposite experiences with a driver that is designed as high launch / lower spin that is supposed to be hit lower in the face than most drivers.
Some hitting too high with too low spin ( this is the point of the driver, I thought).
We just can't seem to get any kind of reliable consensus and some guys are going so far as to suggest that the clubs are being manufactured so far out of spec that some are higher launching higher spinning (by a lot if you believe all that) while others don't spin enough.
While I have no dog in this fight, my own experience is that the club launches higher than normal ( for me) and is the lowest spinning driver I've ever hit ( around 2000 rpm on average).
I'd personally like to hear from the broader spectrum of members who were fitted specifically to the club. I'm not sure I can trust the x shaft 115mph crowd who insist the club is a design and manufacturing disaster. I really don't think this is the case. Perhaps what we are seeing in this thread is the normally expected results of any club being tested. It is not for everybody, not everyone can get it to work for them ( at least in the short haul). But I don't believe for a second the the reason it doesn't fit is shoddy workmanship or a design flaw. It is just the normal order of things and that is why there are so many offerings from so many companies....there are so many golfers with so many different needs.
[/quote]

I agree....so, so many different reports....such a wide spectrum. The suggested thread needs a refresh from the 25 to see if they are still playing the SLDR, if they still have the same shaft installed, and how it has played on the course over the LM session.

I have mixed mine into a few rounds with some range time...sorta settled on one shaft and trying to dial this thing in. In a short period of time, this has to be the biggest "love/hate" driver for me over all the past TM offerings

Love.....Look, feel, sound, distance
Hate....trying to swing weight it, trying to dial it in, case of the lefts, pure shots coming up shorter then normal. Different sleeve

Let me break those down
Love....just was ready for a non white head again as the ST was my fav. Very solid feel, that feels like the ball really is going. The sound is not like the R11 or R1 which I did not like. Visited a few spots on the course that were slightly new for me distance wise.

Hate....to heavy of a head, or adding lead tape to the light one that I got. I feel that this head sits more closed then the past few offerings and I am trying to dial it in to avoid the lefts that seems to be the norm for this head for me. I hit a few drives last Friday that I thought were really good, only to come up much shorter then I would have expected based on many other drives on the same holes. Two of these in one day had me scratching my head. One player in the group lost a bet with another that he was short of me when in fact he was 15 by me...he hit his drive bad and knew I hit mine good. Both head scratchers were a higher launch then my normal launch and felt like they would tumble down the fairway. Had a great drive on a certain hole and the next day the tees were back almost 20 yards and I hit my R11s just past were I was the day before with the SLDR. Man I wish I could just screw in my AD Di 6 and get some "real" comparisons!
I have never had a TM head that I could not figure out how to dial it in.

I want to Love it, but it is giving me to many reasons to not love it when compared to my R11s.....more testing this week, but not sure how much longer. It's the misses left that will be it's final straw for me.

What's crazy is, I know if I put it into the hands of a few people that I sometimes play with, it will make a huge difference in their driving game...now I just need to convince them to try one.

Side by side on the course the 10.5 with stock shaft stiff does not give me the distance and launch that my Callaway Optiforce 440 with stock Diamana Stiff does. Not an apple to apple comparison due to shaft differences but I must say the Optiforce just works better for me, launch monitors aside. I am sure I could come to love the SLDR if I found the right shaft but at this point I am hitting Optiforce so well I don't want to tinker anymore. No doubt TM SLDR is a great club for many. Just not my cup of tea

[/quote]

I'll put up a follow up tonight. Schools I put it here, in the original thread (doesn't make sense to me, the club is no longer pre-release) or should we start a 25-fitted guys update thread?

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 w/ Tensei CK Pro Orange 60S

Fairway: TTE E8 Beta w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 110 70S

Driving Iron:  PXG 0311X 2i w/ Tensei CK Pro White 90S

Hybrid:  PXG 0317X Gen2 19o w/ Tensei CK Pro Orange 90S

Irons:  PXG 0311P Gen4 5-G w/ AeroTech SteelFiber 115fc S

Wedges:  Taylormade MG2 56o & 60o

Putter:  Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

[quote name='rbilramz' timestamp='1376930957' post='7705764']
[/quote]

I'll put up a follow up tonight. Schools I put it here, in the original thread (doesn't make sense to me, the club is no longer pre-release) or should we start a 25-fitted guys update thread?
[/quote]
I just think that a more comprehensive, informed view is needed here. The club is kinda being trashed by a few and I don't think it deserves it. Anyone reading a thread like this one should have all relevant and accurate info available to them. A link to the original fitting thread was printed here, but any decent info is welcome.

[quote name='BirdieBob' timestamp='1376665578' post='7687682']
Frankly, I am not interested in any driver that does not provide the ability for the user to easily change weights to adjust Swingweight.
This should be a priority of any OEM when designing these clubs....IMHO.
[/quote]
100% agree. I find it disappointing that the company that pioneered adjustability in drivers would not make the weight/screw easily changeable and ship it with a range of weights. If I couldn't use lighter mwt weights in my R1 (2 in heel, 6 in toe)I wouldn't have found the right set up and it wouldn't be in the bag.

[b]Callaway[/b] 10.5 815 DBD, Diamana W series 70X
[b]Taylormade [/b]'16 M1 3 wood, Diamana D+ X
[b]Titleist[/b] 910 19* Hybrid, Diamana D+ S
[b]Adams[/b] 9031 23* Hybrid, Diamana D+ S
[b]Srixon[/b] z765 5-pw, Modus 3 120 X
[b]Mizuno[/b] MP-T5 50*, TT DG S300
[b]Vokey[/b] SM6 55* & 60*, TT DG S200

I tried the SLDR and found it to sound and feel really good just WAY too heavy. The club should come with a 10g slug not 20 and forgiveness is just not there. I put it through it's paces but hits around the face produce some extremely bad shots in comparison to even the R1. Honestly the R1 is better driver in the TM stable just has a horrible paint job. Again just my 2 cents.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

[quote name='rbilramz' timestamp='1376930957' post='7705764']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I just started one here [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/897208-25-person-sldr-fitting-follow-up/"]http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/897208-25-person-sldr-fitting-follow-up/[/url]

I put a blurb about what my experience has been and what's next. Chime in with what you have.

I also put the same post in the original fitting post.

WB

Twitter: @itsnotgriffin
Site: [url="http://www.thebottomgroove.com/"]www.thebottomgroove.com[/url]

WITB:
Callaway Big Bertha Epic 10.5
Callaway BBA 5 Wood
Callaway XR 7 Wood - Frankenstyle
Apex Hybrid 23deg
Apex Pro 5i-PW
MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
MD3 60 PM Grind
Odyssey O-Works - #1/3T (putter commitment issues)

I Bought the SLDR TP and Played one round with it. I hit it multiple times on the range before purchasing and then also at Golf Galaxy before purchase. I will say that I hit the Driver OK in my round, but something was missing so I sold it to another member right after the round. The good news is that I purchased it for $440, got a free dozen balls, played 1 round and sold it for $425. Owned the driver for less than 24 hours - A new record for me by a long shot!

[color=#008000]Titleist TS3 10.5 Diamana BF 60s
Titleist TS3 16.5* Diamana LTD Blue 70s
TS3 19* Hazrdus Smoke 80s (S)[/color]
[color=#008000]Mizuno MP20 HMB 3 iron $Taper 130 Soft Stepped
4-PW Mizuno MP20 MB $Taper 130 Soft Stepped
52* Vokey SM8 F Grind S200
58* Vokey SM8 K Grind S200 
Bettinardi BB-8w Raw[/color]

After initially reporting I liked the driver after having great simulator numbers I regret to say it does not perform that way on the course. It is easily the most wild and inconsistent driver I've ever hit. I play to a 3 handicap and avg. drives around 265. Driving the ball tends to e the best part of my game as i rarely ever miss a fairway but I'm always looking for the extra yard if it can be bought. My accuracy dropped drastically. I occasionally had the long bomb drive but it was so rare I just got frustrated. I feel it's just too low of spin and on any shot hit anywhere besides the dead center of the club is penalized substantially more than I was with any other driver in the past.

If that wasn't enough for me to let the driver go then couple that with the medallion on the club falling off along with the weight screw stripping and coming loose. The SLDR was one of the most frustrating drivers I have ever owned and I am glad to get it off my hands. I'm sure everyone has different experiences but I felt I just had to post this as I gave I a good review a few weeks back and I needed to give a honest follow up.

[quote name='tommyh9991' timestamp='1377228065' post='7729562']
After initially reporting I liked the driver after having great simulator numbers I regret to say it does not perform that way on the course. It is easily the most wild and inconsistent driver I've ever hit. I play to a 3 handicap and avg. drives around 265. Driving the ball tends to e the best part of my game as. Rarely ever miss a fairway but I'm always looking for the extra yard if it can be bought. My accuracy dropped drastically. I occasionally had the long bomb drive but it was so rare I just got frustrated. I feel it's just too low of spin and on any shot hit anywhere besides the dead center of the club is penalized substantially more than I was with any other driver in the past.

If that wasn't enough for me to let the driver go then couple that with the medallion on the club falling off along with the weight screw stepping and coming loose. The SLDR was one of the most frustrating drivers I have ever owned and I am glad to get it off my hands. I'm sure everyone has different experiences but I felt I just had to post this as I gave I a good review a few weeks back and I needed to give a honest follow up.
[/quote]
What driver is in the bag now?

WITB Link

[quote name='Froth' timestamp='1377229604' post='7729682']
[quote name='tommyh9991' timestamp='1377228065' post='7729562']
After initially reporting I liked the driver after having great simulator numbers I regret to say it does not perform that way on the course. It is easily the most wild and inconsistent driver I've ever hit. I play to a 3 handicap and avg. drives around 265. Driving the ball tends to e the best part of my game as. Rarely ever miss a fairway but I'm always looking for the extra yard if it can be bought. My accuracy dropped drastically. I occasionally had the long bomb drive but it was so rare I just got frustrated. I feel it's just too low of spin and on any shot hit anywhere besides the dead center of the club is penalized substantially more than I was with any other driver in the past.

If that wasn't enough for me to let the driver go then couple that with the medallion on the club falling off along with the weight screw stepping and coming loose. The SLDR was one of the most frustrating drivers I have ever owned and I am glad to get it off my hands. I'm sure everyone has different experiences but I felt I just had to post this as I gave I a good review a few weeks back and I needed to give a honest follow up.
[/quote]
What driver is in the bag now?
[/quote]

Played the R1 since the beginning of the year. Enjoyed using it and feel the SLDR is a huge step back. Have not decided which way to go from here yet. Leaning towards G25

I am having a brain fart! If I have a 10.5 head and lower the loft to 9* it will open the face? The slightly closed face was a turn off for me...good numbers in side, but want to try it at the range. Thanks for the information.

Ping g430 10K w/ Ventus Red 6-S

TaylorMade iq10 5 Wood w/ TD-70-S

Taylormade Stage 2 Tour hybrid w/Fujikura Speeder HB-S

PXG 0317t w/steelfiber i95-S 5-PW

SM8. 52* & 58* TM High Toe

Lab Mezz...46”

Jones Players Bag
Taylormade TP5X

[quote name='golf9596' timestamp='1377267128' post='7731188']
I am having a brain fart! If I have a 10.5 head and lower the loft to 9* it will open the face? The slightly closed face was a turn off for me...good numbers in side, but want to try it at the range. Thanks for the information.
[/quote]
Yep, lower loft = open face

[quote name='justin_w' timestamp='1377229787' post='7729696']
not a fan of the SLDR... too gimmicky
[/quote]
Gimmicky? How is it more gimmicky than any other adjustable. FCT, MWT, ASP, cavity back, dual axis sleeve driver out there?
What was gimmicky is now the norm, in the same way steel replaced wood as the material of choice in ummmm....woods...