Golf Channel Academy w/ Brad Faxon

ctmason_98

I have to say I was extremely disappointed with the Academy that aired tonight. Some good, simple and meaningful explanation by Brad Faxon as usual, but the editing of the show was horrendous.

Choppy, rushed and simply too much content being jammed into half an hour. I have no idea why the instructional programs have become so fast-paced now, even Michael Breed screams at viewers on too many topics for that show. One good question posed by a viewer about explaining releasing the putter head and how that seemed to be breaking the wrists was hardly answered at all, much less thoroughly. Side note: the term "release" is perhaps the most misused, mangled and downright confusing term thrown around in any instructional discussion -- and I have always suspected that many serious golfers and instructors use the word just because it makes them sound more intelligent.

Why not expand this to an hour or drop some topics? I admire Faxon's game a lot, obviously, but also think he's extremely good at simple explanation. Just not sure why such a relatively well-promoted series (mini-series?) failed to deliver. I get the sense that nobody wants to watch instruction on putting, which is sad.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tuned in and found it pretty informative. I do agree that parts of it seemed a bit rushed, especially considering it's going to be a 5 (?) part series. Overall though it was just what I needed. I went out the next couple of days and focused on feel and putting like I was a kid again. I was much less mechanical and tense which lead to better rolls and more made putts.

I'll be sure to DVR them to keep as a bit of reference when things start to go a bit sideways again!

There are some things I thought he would address such as using a line on a ball vs none, pre-shot routine or reading greens that weren't covered but hopefully those will be mentioned in upcoming episodes.

Titleist TSi3 9* - Tensei Blue 60 TX
Titleist TS2 15* - D+ LTD 70X
Titleist TSi2 21* - Tensei White 80X

Srixon Z785 4i, Miura MC-501 5-PW - X100
SM7 50F, 54S, SM8 58M
Spider Tour

The best part of my game has always been iron play and it got to a point last year where I had 17 putts for birdie or better in a qualifier and shot 73. I decided to give the Stockton thing a try over the winter and this season and eventually went to left hand low. My line was alright but I had real trouble with distance control with those methods.

Listening to Faxon speak about energy transfer to the ball, feel and freedom in the stroke really made me quit second guessing my instincts and to go out and try to roll the ball with a natural movement. It's only been a few days but it feels much more natural to me and reminds me of my best putting days when I was younger and didn't know/care about a "perfect" stroke.

Titleist TSi3 9* - Tensei Blue 60 TX
Titleist TS2 15* - D+ LTD 70X
Titleist TSi2 21* - Tensei White 80X

Srixon Z785 4i, Miura MC-501 5-PW - X100
SM7 50F, 54S, SM8 58M
Spider Tour

[quote name='mmack067' timestamp='1377198931' post='7726878']
The best part of my game has always been iron play and it got to a point last year where I had 17 putts for birdie or better in a qualifier and shot 73. I decided to give the Stockton thing a try over the winter and this season and eventually went to left hand low. My line was alright but I had real trouble with distance control with those methods.

Listening to Faxon speak about energy transfer to the ball, feel and freedom in the stroke really made me quit second guessing my instincts and to go out and try to roll the ball with a natural movement. It's only been a few days but it feels much more natural to me and reminds me of my best putting days when I was younger and didn't know/care about a "perfect" stroke.
[/quote]
Exactly. Wad up a piece of paper and try to toss into a trash can across the room while thinking about HOW to throw it. It will be pure luck if you make it 1 out of 10 times.

For anyone that has read any of Dave Stockton's work, he and Faxon are reading from the same sheet of music so to speak, and I think there's a wonderful fountain of knowledge on the short game from both of those men -- and I suppose that bias is what caused me to be frustrated that the production seemed so rushed.

yet another person that doesn't understand that you practice mechanics so you don't have to think about them on the course. Every sport does this. Golf is the only one I can think of where people push bad mechanics because they don't want to disrupt their feel.

[quote name='JPGolf FL' timestamp='1377202728' post='7727230']

Exactly. Wad up a piece of paper and try to toss into a trash can across the room while thinking about HOW to throw it. It will be pure luck if you make it 1 out of 10 times.
[/quote]

[quote name='JustTheTips' timestamp='1377208430' post='7727786']
yet another person that doesn't understand that you practice mechanics so you don't have to think about them on the course. Every sport does this. Golf is the only one I can think of where people push bad mechanics because they don't want to disrupt their feel.

[/quote]
[/quote]
Working on mechanics is ground breaking stuff, however.... I was responding to a post in which the author was talking about hitting 17 greens and shooting 73. Do you suggest we work on mechanics while standing over birdie putts?? Of course we have to work on mechanics, but that is for the practice green. The condescending tone of your post, coupled with its incorrect assumption, does make for a good chuckle though. ;)

[quote name='JustTheTips' timestamp='1377208430' post='7727786']

[/quote]
[/quote]

Your frustration is absolutely justified....morons! I say hang up a sign and start charging people for you to correct them on their idiocy and learn how to play this game the RIGHT way....you'll have people lined up around the corner begging to give you their money.

Hmm....think I just described 60-70% of teaching professionals, actually.

[quote name='sheldonjhacker' timestamp='1377198146' post='7726798']
Also...in the age of SuperStroke popularity...he says the feel of the fingers on the grip is one of the most important aspects of putting.
[/quote]

I thought the same thing, was really hoping for that follow up question on the non-tapered grip popularity, probably too much to expect from Gary Williams.