2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

R7 425cc Driver

utopiapga

Update on the Skinny!!
Okay everyone here is the latest.........

The Rep was in store today and he said that TM said there was an assembly issue with the new R7 425cc and that all the drovers where sent back to TM for inspection. They say that the preping of the shaft before install was done incorrectly and has been rectafied and the release of the new R7 425cc will now be on the 16th of the month. They say that the shaft was turned down to much before instalation on the tip of the shaft and this was the reason for the shaft breakage. The problem has been takin care of and all the drivers in production now are fine. So for those of you waiting for this driver you only have one more week to wait and everything will be fine according to TM.

Also the skinny on the TP version. By far night and day from the regular production model. I had the pleasure of hitting this driver today in the simulator at work. This driver has the real deal Rombax shaft from Fuji and is everything they say it is and more. The TP comes with the full version Rombax where the production model has a mini version of this shaft. The Rombax is very consistant and has a torque rating that is nearly zero because odf the re ax winding technology. There is no spline in this shaft and it gives it a consistant hit everytime. There is no osilating in this shaft and is better than pureing. So for all you TM hoes out there be rest ashured that you have a winner here but I highly recomend spending the extra $400 and getting the real deal if you want this driver.

Yes that is $399.00 for the wanna be and $799.00 for the real deal. Good luck and hope it is everything you want in a driver...........

Cheers, :)

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay everyone here is the latest.........

The Rep was in store today and he said that TM said there was an assembly issue with the new R7 425cc and that all the drovers where sent back to TM for inspection. They say that the preping of the shaft before install was done incorrectly and has been rectafied and the release of the new R7 425cc will now be on the 16th of the month. They say that the shaft was turned down to much before instalation on the tip of the shaft and this was the reason for the shaft breakage. The problem has been takin care of and all the drivers in production now are fine. So for those of you waiting for this driver you only have one more week to wait and everything will be fine according to TM.

Also the skinny on the TP version. By far night and day from the regular production model. I had the pleasure of hitting this driver today in the simulator at work. This driver has the real deal Rombax shaft from Fuji and is everything they say it is and more. The TP comes with the full version Rombax where the production model has a mini version of this shaft. The Rombax is very consistant and has a torque rating that is nearly zero because odf the re ax winding technology. There is no spline in this shaft and it gives it a consistant hit everytime. There is no osilating in this shaft and is better than pureing. So for all you TM hoes out there be rest ashured that you have a winner here but I highly recomend spending the extra $400 and getting the real deal if you want this driver.

Yes that is $399.00 for the wanna be and $799.00 for the real deal. Good luck and hope it is everything you want in a driver...........

Cheers, :)

I played last week with the 8.5 version of the TP. Nice looking driver just enough bigger than the present r7 to improve the looks but not too big like the 460 version I saw looked. This is a real players driver, no ti clank like the standard model or others recent ti releases. It isn't as long as the new Cobra XX speed or the new Callaway X-460 drivers but it also doesn't make you want to look for ear plugs which is a big plus for me. Plus most people playing Taylor Made drivers (like Titleist drivers) aren't necessarily looking for a LDA head. Should have my own by Tuesday and I can return the demo.

Thanks for all of the info.

I am about to order mine through a friend, but I do have a question for those of you that have hit it. Is the TP shaft really the same ROMBAX shaft that everyone is raving about? I am not sure if I want to take it as it is or if I am going to throw another shaft in there, Comp NT or V2. If this really is the ROMBAX then I am going to let it be. Thanks for all of the info.

Doug

Thanks for all of the info.

I am about to order mine through a friend, but I do have a question for those of you that have hit it. Is the TP shaft really the same ROMBAX shaft that everyone is raving about? I am not sure if I want to take it as it is or if I am going to throw another shaft in there, Comp NT or V2. If this really is the ROMBAX then I am going to let it be. Thanks for all of the info.

Doug

Right from Taylor Made's web site. "ROMBAX technology, which was developed by Fujikura, is available in the r7 425 TP only".

I always found lead tape worked better anyway. After wasting a ton of time moving very little impact weights unless you remove all the others and stick a 14 in the toe the changes are too subtle to really matter. But throwing lead tape is quicker and impacts the shape of the shot much more than the silly weights which are a "cute" idea.

abewley, come on now. i'm just speaking the truth. those ridiculous screws make you look like a fool. if you want to mess with torch wrenches go apply at your local Home Depot. In about 5 years that r7 will be a novelty item. Call me old fashioned, but TaylorMade can keep their technology. I'll save $150 bucks, feed my wife and kids and use the rest for a lesson, and then won't have to worry about biasing my clubs. Lead weights are cheaper anyway.

P.S. My buddy has an r7 and has yet to bias his driver. Ahhh, moveable weights what luxory.

abewley, come on now. i'm just speaking the truth. those ridiculous screws make you look like a fool. if you want to mess with torch wrenches go apply at your local Home Depot. In about 5 years that r7 will be a novelty item. Call me old fashioned, but TaylorMade can keep their technology. I'll save $150 bucks, feed my wife and kids and use the rest for a lesson, and then won't have to worry about biasing my clubs. Lead weights are cheaper anyway.

P.S. My buddy has an r7 and has yet to bias his driver. Ahhh, moveable weights what luxory.

Why don't you tell the guys on the PGA Tour that the #1 driver they are playing is just a gimmick. Trust me they are making alot more than your $150 bucks.

I don't play the driver but I do play the 3 wood and for any one that has a consistant swing it is a great way to be able to fine tune your club to fit your swing pattern. For someone that does not have this or is just the average Joe that enjoys a game once a month no they would not benifit from something like this so maybe that is why you don't like the new age technology.

You can't knock the numbers but why don't you try telling the guys on the PGA Tour they should be working at Home Depot. Just keep it friendly and don't knock the technology, if you don't want to play it then you have every right too.

I am not playing an R7 anymore, but the concept is sound. You can move 20g's around without changing swingweight. That can not be done with tape. R7 is not for everyone, but weights will continue on.

Titleist TSi2 - Ventus Blue 
Titleist TSi2 3 Wood - Tensei White
Cobra F7 5/6 - UST Chrome
Ping G20 23
Ping i500 5-GW
Vokey SM8 54D & 58K 
Custom Bobby Grace

if the R7's moveable weights are a gimmick then so is titanium driver heads and graphite shafts. the weights really do matter and can effect the ball flight for those with repeatable and consistent swings., that's why taylor made also came out with the R5's as well, to take take the guess work out of it for the average joe. the R7 is a great club, but i hardly ever recommend it when i'm working unless i see the person swing.

Hi All,

Not really R7 425 related, but a weight topic nonetheless..

Has anybody seen/tried these?

http://search.ebay.com.au/_W0QQsassZtightloop2QQhtZ-1

I'm planning on ordering a pair of 18 gram weights after Xmas to plug into my R7,

he also had some 20 gram weights up their at one stage. I know a lot has been said about the minimum weight you have to move around in order to see some difference in shot shape and with the R5 only having 2 ports then you would notice a difference(I'm assuming) with and 18 in the heel and a 2 in the toe...???

Personally I'm yet to be totally convinced about the ability to shape the R7425/R7/R5 by just moving weights in the club... I play off 14 and have had days where everything sliced due to bad technique not through any result of moving the weights, maybe with 18/20 grams this may change... lets hope :dntknw: :drinks:

My R7 is a fine club, I have no doubt about that, but if the weight options only work psychologically, then maybe it's of benefit, I do know that if I hit the driver straighter and with more consistency, there would have been a lot more clubs on my buying list.

BTW this is not a spam post, I have no connection to the manufacturer of the larger weights, just thought I'd clarify... :wave:

Cheers,

Potts

No.. you stated your opinion.. i stated facts...

the technology serves its purpose.. if you "buddy" doesn't use the technology then great... but for the other 90% of the players that have a driver with movable weights...

lead tape is great stuff.. but if you need to use it.. it adds to the over all head weight which could be bad or good. and you can't remove weight from a standard club head...

if the R7's moveable weights are a gimmick then so is titanium driver heads and graphite shafts. the weights really do matter and can effect the ball flight for those with repeatable and consistent swings., that's why taylor made also came out with the R5's as well, to take take the guess work out of it for the average joe. the R7 is a great club, but i hardly ever recommend it when i'm working unless i see the person swing.

Speaking of gimmicks, lets just get rid of the steel shaft. Those damn things don't work anyway. :dntknw:

Trust me they are making alot more than your $150 bucks.

Actually, I was talking about the golfer who plays 4-8 times a month. The pro faction, is a completely different deal, all in itself. My point is that there is equipment out there that is just as good. the r7 is a status symbol for guys like me (the weekend golfer). Does my friend need an r7 (he shoots high 90's)??? No!!! Why??? Because he's no shot shaper. Biasing drivers is a good concept and now days several drivers have it without coming out and saying it. I'm glad you are virtually a scratch golfer and you can shape shots, great, but most of us can't or at least I can't without having some sort of flaw in my swing.

In short, I believe in order to buy one of these drivers, you have to prove your handicap is under 10. these things won't change a snap hook into a gradual draw or a slice into a fade.

You guys are missing the point. I think new technology is fine. my new graphite NV65 shaft is sweet, my G5 driver is sweet, my G5 irons are sweet (although I hated parting with my Eye 2's). I think the r7 is a little extreme (torque wrenches, screw weights) to each his own.

I totally stayed with lead tape as opposed to messing with that silly click click wrench and those weights out on the driving range. Some guys really look like loons grunting and groaning and clicking and dropping the weights. Much easier to move tape and you can place it much more effectively than the weight locations allow. I finally wound up with 1/2 strip out at the toe on my r7 TP which did much more than messing with all the weight combinations. If you think you have thrown the swingweight haywire put a strip of lead tape up under the grip---right back to where you were. Overall weight impact very little unless you are a complete psycho. I had one friend that screwed his swing up so bad last year messing with weight positions it wasn't funny. This weight position should do this and when it didn't he started unknowingly compensating with his swing to make it do what the weight position was supposed to do. When I got my r7 425 TP yesterday the first thing I did was tell the retailer to remove the weights that came in it and use the kit for their demoing purposes. I am adjusting mine with lead tape. 1/2 strip on the toe and a very skinny strip up by the grip. Works good for me so far.