2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

The Best Cart bag for a push cart...

As a lower index I have struggled with letting go of a small carry bag. I have been using Ping bags for 15 years but I am tired of wrestling my clubs out of the bag. I used a 3 wheel push cart and its time to get a bag thats better suited for the cart. Also time for a 14 way divider. I don't want something huge but still want some good funtional features. I like the look of the Sun Mountain Sync but haven't been able to find one at a local retail to get a good look at.. I have looked at the Ogio offerings and didn't see anything I loved. The new Clic Gear bag could have some promise but it looks to be pretty bulky. I play Ping clubs but not to keen on their cart bag offerings. So what are people using? What else is out there.. Are there any other companies who just make bags??

Thanks guys/gals.

Ping G Driver - 10.5 with Tour 65X
Ping G25 4 wood - 16.5 with AD-DI7S
TaylorMade RBZ 4 Tour Hybrid
Ping S55 4-PW with C-Taper Lite (silver dot)
Ping Gorge 52,56,60 with C-Taper Lite (silver dot)
Scotty Cameron Futura X 38"

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The new2012 ping pioneer Cart bag works awesome on my push cart. Lots of features and is light.

Callaway Rouge 9* Aldila Rogue Silver 44.5"
Tour Edge Exotics E8 Beta 15* Aldila Rogue Silver
PING G410 Crossover 2i Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Blue 80
PING i230 4-U Recoil F4 Smac Wrap
Vokey SM7 Black 54f - 58k
Scotty Cameron Futura X7M 33"

I use a Sun Mountain C-130 and it works well on my Sun Micro Cart.. great for those long weekend rounds when the weather and potential slow play make the day long.. stores lunch and all the gear I need[quote name='lancelepage' timestamp='1330805301' post='4427261']
As a lower index I have struggled with letting go of a small carry bag. I have been using Ping bags for 15 years but I am tired of wrestling my clubs out of the bag. I used a 3 wheel push cart and its time to get a bag thats better suited for the cart. Also time for a 14 way divider. I don't want something huge but still want some good funtional features. I like the look of the Sun Mountain Sync but haven't been able to find one at a local retail to get a good look at.. I have looked at the Ogio offerings and didn't see anything I loved. The new Clic Gear bag could have some promise but it looks to be pretty bulky. I play Ping clubs but not to keen on their cart bag offerings. So what are people using? What else is out there.. Are there any other companies who just make bags??

Thanks guys/gals.
[/quote]

The C-130 angles down in front; long clubs in back and wedges in front. Problem is when tilting the bag backwards, such as when on a trolley, then the short clubs bang into the longer clubs. I love the C130, but not for use with a pull cart.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

[quote name='Chef Otto' timestamp='1330810342' post='4427753']
The new2012 ping pioneer Cart bag works awesome on my push cart. Lots of features and is light.
[/quote]

I have the Pioneer as well and 95% of the time walk with my Clicgear. I can't really find anything I don't like about the Pioneer. Sat here for 3 minutes thinking and stilll can't think of anything I don't like...I guess the string thing with the plastic piece could hold my umbrella more secure to the bag....I guess I also get irritated because the bottom piece of my ClicGear needs to go over the bottom of the umbrella.....but I'm nitpicking. Big cooler pocket...one of the soft-lined pockets seems to have a zipper that keeps out water if it rains...lots of pockets. 14 way. dedicated putter well.

Got rid of my Titleist Cart Bag because of the tilted top problem similar to the Sun Mountain...

Pioneer is the best bag I've had....2012 version

Thanks guys.. I have a Ping staff bag but its not the answer.

Does anyone else make bags out there?? Would love something different.

Here is a pic of the 2012 Ping Pioneer on my push cart. The 14 way divider works well in the push cart. There are 14 club dividers plus the putter so if you want to you can carry 15 clubs. The bag also has some really nice features.

CIMG0773.jpg

Callaway Rouge 9* Aldila Rogue Silver 44.5"
Tour Edge Exotics E8 Beta 15* Aldila Rogue Silver
PING G410 Crossover 2i Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Blue 80
PING i230 4-U Recoil F4 Smac Wrap
Vokey SM7 Black 54f - 58k
Scotty Cameron Futura X7M 33"

I'm really liking the look of that Pioneer bag. I've been scouting for the perfect bag for when I finally pull the trigger on the ClicGear and think I found it!

Thanks for the pics, that is very helpful.

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

You cannot go wrong with Sun Moutain ... they really have thought through what a bag means ..

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

That Pioneer looks good and I am a Ping guy to boot.. Anyone try the Sun Mountain SYNC. Its supposed to be made for push carts.

Here is a pic of the 2012 Ping Pioneer on my push cart. The 14 way divider works well in the push cart. There are 14 club dividers plus the putter so if you want to you can carry 15 clubs. The bag also has some really nice features.

CIMG0773.jpg

Chef, thanks for the pic, I too use a cart bag with my clicgear, but my two gripes with my current TM bag are it's too short, the wedges don't pull in and out easy, and it doesn't have 14 way divider!

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Nessism' timestamp='1330831288' post='4429841']
The C-130 angles down in front; long clubs in back and wedges in front. Problem is when tilting the bag backwards, such as when on a trolley, then the short clubs bang into the longer clubs. I love the C130, but not for use with a pull cart.
[/quote]

Great point!

Datrek makes nice bags that work on push and riding carts. It's what I use now. I don't care for bags that lock the clubs in place, revolving or not, because they don't take long to break down.

The new Clicgear bag looks good on the web, but I haven't seen it in person. Have a CG3.0 cart and have never had issues with my Datrek bags.

Never liked the SM bags even though I like their carts and have V2 cart.

I actually have this bag: [url="http://www.golfsmith.com/images/298979.jpg"]http://www.golfsmith...ages/298979.jpg[/url]

It's the 2009 Sun Mountain Speed Cart Bag. It was designed for use on a 3 wheel cat. I wanted to use it as a cart bag, because I don't like cart bags with individual club dividers (yet has an external putter well), which is a tough combo to find. Only problem is, the bag is designed to sit on a 3 wheel cart, all the pockets are hard to access in an actual golf cart.

I'd be willing to sell you this bag, it's practically brand new, I only used it for one season. Private message me if you're interested.

EDIT: Here's a pic of the top of the bag with my clubs in it: [url="http://i.imgur.com/hSodn.jpg"]http://i.imgur.com/hSodn.jpg[/url]

[/quote]

+1
Haved a C-130 and had the same issues. Switch to a Sunmountain MCB and problem solved.

Taylormade M2 10.5* Oban Kiyoshi Gold
Taylormade M2 15*,19*,22* Oban Kiyoshi Gold
Ping i25 5-pw KBS
Miura 51*,55*,59*
Bettinardi BB1 3/4 RJB2240
http://bettinardiregistry.com/putter-registry/7-of-7-bb-1-three-quarter-lh/

• 1 year later...

[quote name='obsessed_golfer' timestamp='1330809889' post='4427707']
Get a staff bag!
[/quote]

[u][b]Don't get a staff bag[/b][/u] - here's why::Staff bags are awful for push carts because they have a bloated underside that makes it not rest well on the main bar of a push cart (the same reason they don't fit well on riding carts), which ruins the [very expensive] bag (I have a Clicgear 3.5 and an Oakley staff bag and the two do not fit well together at all). Staff bags are meant to be carried by caddies or to sit around as displays - their primary purpose is marketing, not practicality for most players. Oakley actually makes some well-designed cart bags, as does Ogio and Sun Mountain. Look for a bag with a channel back, like the Oakley Tee-Box or something similar. [url="http://www.oakley.com/products/tee-box-cart-bag/92540-100"]http://www.oakley.com/products/tee-box-cart-bag/92540-100[/url]. Just looking at the site, compare the Tee Box to the staff bag and it should be immediately obvious why a staff bag is inappropriate to a push cart (not considering the extra weight).

[quote name='Frozenghost007' timestamp='1334318772' post='4713524']
[/quote]

+1
Haved a C-130 and had the same issues. Switch to a Sunmountain MCB and problem solved.
[/quote]

I use a c-130 and don't seem to have this problem, or at least it doesn't cause me problems. I prefer my long clubs on the bottom/back of my pushcart.

Mine is newer so maybe they tweaked something.

[quote name='natedd' timestamp='1377525309' post='7745885']
[quote name='Frozenghost007' timestamp='1334318772' post='4713524']
[/quote]

+1
[/quote]

I use a c-130 and don't seem to have this problem, or at least it doesn't cause me problems. I prefer my long clubs on the bottom/back of my pushcart.

Mine is newer so maybe they tweaked something.
[/quote]

I'm not getting the problem either. I use my c-130 on riding cart and on push cart (bagboy quad) and have not had any issues. However, my c-130 is getting older and am considering a replacement end of this year so looking at choices.

I have the latest version of the C-130 and a Sun Mountain Speedcart V1. No doubt about it, when the bag is on the cart with the pockets facing forward, the slanted top just doesn't work at all. If the clubs are in the slots as intended the woods and hybrids with their headcovers droop down over the irons. If I put the woods in the bottom slots, the irons on top just hang on the cuff and get mangled.

The C-130 is a great bag for what it was designed, which is a riding cart.

So I guess I told off on why I am reading this thread.

I am looking at getting a Kangaroo Hillcrest Max, but I will need to replace my bag also.

Callaway Mavrik Max 10.5°
Callaway XR 16 3 wood
Callaway Mavrik Max 3 thru 5 hybrids
Srixon z565 6 thru PW
48°, 52° & 58° Cleveland CBX wedges
Ping Sigma 2 Kushin C flat stick

All subject to change in the blink of an eye.........and I blink a lot.

I just saw a titleist lightweight cart bag on their site with a putter well. From the product description, it could be ideal for push or pull carts. Anyone has this bag?

http://www.titleist.com/accessories/cart-bags/lightweight-cart-bag.aspx

Titleist TSi2 
Titleist TSI2 3W 
Titleist TS2 Hyrbid
Titleist T200 irons
Vokey SM8 54, 58
Taylormade Spider SX32

[quote name='PlayMore' timestamp='1377638849' post='7755405']
I just saw a titleist lightweight cart bag on their site with a putter well. From the product description, it could be ideal for push or pull carts. Anyone has this bag?

[url="http://www.titleist.com/accessories/cart-bags/lightweight-cart-bag.aspx"]http://www.titleist....t-cart-bag.aspx[/url]
[/quote]

The top is angled fairly sharply. The angle sets up well for use on a riding cart with the putter well facing off the back of the cart and the woods on the back side. This setup is what they show in the picture that you link to.

If you set this bag on a pushcart with the putter well on top and the same club configuration as shown in the picture, the iron heads are going to hang down into the woods headcovers, causing a jumbled mess. you could put your woods in the section next to the putter well so that you don;t end up with a jumbled mess. But, this woud leave your shortest irons/wedges on the Bottom (opposite side of the putter well). The wedges are short enough to hang up on the edge of the bag, rather than having the butt end of the grip resting on the bottom inside of the bag.

G400Max 10.5 Driver Red Velocore 6S
G410 5 Wood Tensei Orange stiff
Ping G410 Hybrid 22* & 26* Evenflo Black 6.0 stiff

Ping G Gap-6 iron Steelfiber i95 R.flex

Ping Anser 52* Steelfiber i95 R.flex
Cleveland CBX 56* Steelfiber i95 R fles
Callaway X Tour 59.5* Steelfiber i95 R.flex
Scotty Newport 2,  prov1x, Motocaddy M1

I have a related question on Sun Mountain Quality ... my C-130 which is about 4 years old has almost all the zipper pulls falling apart, falling off. Is this normal and is there any way to fix? The bag has had some hard use so I am probably going to buy a new one this year - likely the Sync - but the way the zipper pulls have gone has has me concerned.

After looking at the pic posted by Chef Otto, I rearranged my clubs as similar as I could to his arrangement in my C-130, and I must say that it is much improved. Not perfect, but definitely better.

Kudos to the Chef.

Callaway XR 16 3 wood
Srixon z565 6 thru PW

[quote name='Mathwiz' timestamp='1377794391' post='7765911']
After looking at the pic posted by Chef Otto, I rearranged my clubs as similar as I could to his arrangement in my C-130, and I must say that it is much improved. Not perfect, but definitely better.

Kudos to the Chef.
[/quote]

What problem are you still having with that setup and the c130? Would think that arrangement would be a good fix

Well, for one thing, if you look closely at Chef Otto's pic, he has a mallet head putter like I do. The difference is his has a much longer shaft so the mallet head does not impose on any clubs underneath it. My putter is 35" so the head does impede on the irons under it somewhat. On what would be the bottom right slot I have my lob wedge, which is a shorter club in length. It is in a slot designated for a wood so the lob wedge bottoms out. Also I have 4 clubs with head covers. Driver, 3 wood, and two hybrids. I line them up on the leftmost slots, but there are only three slots in the leftmost row.

Not a huge deal, just not as tidy as the Chefs' setup.

I tried posting a pic with copy and paste, but could not for some reason.

Callaway XR 16 3 wood
Srixon z565 6 thru PW