Adding weight to the shaft

BigLeftyinAZ

Thinking of upgrading to an 80 gram shaft for my driver..Instead of replacing my current shaft of now,wondering if i can add 10 grams of lead tape to the middle of the shaft..Measuring from the bottom of the grip and the ferral finding center point and put center of lead strip there..This would not be to replacing buying an 80 gram shaft.just to test and see if i like the extra weight.Then if i like i will buy an 80 gram shaft

Would this effect playabilty of the shaft in any way??

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You will probably not feel anything different - but you are NOT simulating an 80g shaft in any case.

When a shaft is made heavier, it is also made stiffer.

It's made heavier by adding material to the shaft walls - resulting in a stiffer shaft overall than the same design in a lighter weight. It's simple shaft physics.

Adding 10g to the shaft will make it heavier, but will not make it stiffer.

Depending on where you add the weight, you may actually make the shaft play SOFTER than the original - as anything toward the head will make the shaft play softer...

-t

You will probably not feel anything different - but you are NOT simulating an 80g shaft in any case.

When a shaft is made heavier, it is also made stiffer.

It's made heavier by adding material to the shaft walls - resulting in a stiffer shaft overall than the same design in a lighter weight. It's simple shaft physics.

Adding 10g to the shaft will make it heavier, but will not make it stiffer.

Depending on where you add the weight, you may actually make the shaft play SOFTER than the original - as anything toward the head will make the shaft play softer...

-t

this is how i said i would apply tape-

add 10 grams of lead tape to the middle of the shaft..Measuring from the bottom of the grip and the ferral finding center point and put center of lead strip there.Tape will be in middle of the shaft

what kind of driver are you reshafting? i'll sell you an 85 gm purple ice shaft (.350) for 20 bucks, plus shipping from edmonton (another 15 or so depending on where you are). you can't really just add weight to the shaft, since you are going to be bringing so many variables into play with how you've altered kickpoints and flex and swingweight. i'm not just trying to sell you a shaft (i don't need 20 bucks that much), but if you want it you can have it. rob

The bag:

Titleist 915 D2 driver

Titleist TS2 3 wood

Titleist 818 H1 3 & 4 hybrids

Mizuno MP-60 irons (5-PW)

Mizuno T-22 wedges

Odyssey Stroke Lab 2-ball

what kind of driver are you reshafting? i'll sell you an 85 gm purple ice shaft (.350) for 20 bucks, plus shipping from edmonton (another 15 or so depending on where you are). you can't really just add weight to the shaft, since you are going to be bringing so many variables into play with how you've altered kickpoints and flex and swingweight. i'm not just trying to sell you a shaft (i don't need 20 bucks that much), but if you want it you can have it. rob

Thanks for the offer.The purple ice isnt for me..Its a hook machine...The reason why i want to try this adding tape is the simulate having 80 grams.to see if i like the extra weight before i buy a real 80 grm shaft

You can increase the overall weight of the club without increasing s.w. by wrapping lead tape 14" from the butt end. That is the fulcrum point on a swingweight scale. Hope this helps

Ok,I dont mind the extra sw points..I started at d4.3 and now have d6..Swung it in the driveway and noticed i losted some of the feeling of head weight.Interesting... Here are a few pics of what im talking about...

Still my question is-will it affect playabilty?

yes, you will lose the feeling of the head because you've added weight elsewhere. why don't you go and hit balls with it and let us know what you feel with the weight there. i don't see how this can be a good idea, to be honest. do you have a backup driver you could reshaft? or go to a golfsmith and hit a driver with a heavier shaft. do you live too far from a golf shop? remember not to take your best drive as indicative of what the club feels like, but take an honest assessment of your average with a lot of balls.

you are not simulating what you want to simulate with the lead tape. the extra weight in the shaft has to be distributed evenly throughout the shaft, not applied in the middle or at the fulcrum point or elsewhere. lead tape is good for swingweighting when you don't want to change the overall weight very much, but need to change SW. you are doing the opposite: trying to add weight without changing SW too much. in order to do that, you need the weight evenly distributed along the shaft, and not applied here or there.

rob

The bag:

Titleist 915 D2 driver

Titleist TS2 3 wood

Mizuno T-22 wedges

yes, you will lose the feeling of the head because you've added weight elsewhere. why don't you go and hit balls with it and let us know what you feel with the weight there. i don't see how this can be a good idea, to be honest. do you have a backup driver you could reshaft? or go to a golfsmith and hit a driver with a heavier shaft. do you live too far from a golf shop? remember not to take your best drive as indicative of what the club feels like, but take an honest assessment of your average with a lot of balls.

you are not simulating what you want to simulate with the lead tape. the extra weight in the shaft has to be distributed evenly throughout the shaft, not applied in the middle or at the fulcrum point or elsewhere. lead tape is good for swingweighting when you don't want to change the overall weight very much, but need to change SW. you are doing the opposite: trying to add weight without changing SW too much. in order to do that, you need the weight evenly distributed along the shaft, and not applied here or there.

rob

The club felt good swinging today on the course.Hit some good drives.Still had a few mis hits....I did notice , i lost feeling of the good shaft kick.Dont notice that as much as i did before..Ball flight seems to be a tiny bit lower.

Rank- I didnt saw i wasnt trying to change sw.I said i donr mind if it changes...What kind of golf shop are you referring to?Yes, i know what lead tape is for..I just added it to see if i would like to swing a 10 gram heavier shaft before i spend the money on one.And then decide if i want to drop a sub flex or keep the existing flex.

hi: i understood what you were saying about sw. all i was saying was that you are using the product for something other than what it was meant to do. it was never meant to add weight to a club, but to tweak swingweights: you are trying to add total weight.

with the golf shop comment, all i meant was that you should try to get to a store that has a few different shafts in drivers so you can try to get a sense of what shaft weight you like before spending money.

The bag:

Titleist 915 D2 driver

Titleist TS2 3 wood

Mizuno T-22 wedges