Washington State Golf Course Reports

FlyFish

Harbour Pointe - 8/3/2013

The greens crew has been obviously watering the course and it's fairly lush. Greens are rolling well. Fluffy sand in the bunkers. No complaints here.

Druids Glen - 8/4/2013

I like the layout of this track, but the conditioning is not what it should be. Some of the tee boxes were littered with spent tees (obviously from before today). Getting roll on the fairways although there are rough spots in more than a few areas.

You could tell that the greens had some moisture in them, so although they are rolling true, they are a lot slower than they look.

We were part of a few groups that were stuck behind a foursome of walkers the entire round. I like to walk myself, but the distance between holes on the back nine make it slow to walk. I'd suggest that this course builds the price of carts into the green fees like some of the OKI courses do - it would speed up play and increase revenue.

Played Shuksan 08/05/13. Tee to green the course was in nice shape, georgous weather too.

Greens were terrible in my opinion. They were all different speeds. Some were 8 stump, some 9 and even a few 10s. Very very bumpy. Last few times I played here it was never this bad.

Personally much prefer Lake Padden or North Bellingham in the same area.

Played Tumble Creek Tuesday 8/6
Awesome. Best greens I've putted on in 7 years in this state. Now I don't want to putt on any of the regular tracks I play around here.
Overall condition of course 9/10.
One bunker my playing partner was in lacked some sand.
Beautiful course and setting.

Rogue ST Max LS Oban Devotion 6/03 10.5, -1* @45.25" 

Paradym 3HL  Kai’li 60 R
Ping G410 19*,  22* & 26* Riptide CB 80 5.5
Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-AW, SF i80cw R,  Or Cobra Forged Tec Black 6-GW, SF i95cw R   
PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

Played Kayak Point this weekend. Fairways were firm and experiencing a little bit of the August brown out (as to be expected). Greens were in good shape. Sand bunkers had sand in them, but they were firm from the rain the previous night (don't know if they ever get fluffy here).

My only beef with this course is the jacked up tee boxes - it's difficult to find a level lie on most of them!

For the experienced golfer who likes tight Pacific Northwest style golf, Kayak Point is a great value.

[quote name='r2edline' timestamp='1375758302' post='7613290']
Greens were terrible in my opinion. They were all different speeds. Some were 8 stump, some 9 and even a few 10s. Very very bumpy. Last few times I played here it was never this bad.
[/quote]

I played this course about one year ago, and the greens were very mossy. I've never seen that before. Hopefully they are figuring that part out, because the rest of the course was good.

Played the Golf Club at Hawks Prairie, both courses on the weekend. The Links course was average, with signs of over-watering and subsequent burn. Greens were okay. The Woodlands course is good for bulldozing and building houses on as far as I am concerned. :bad: Awful condition and the design leaves a lot to be desired.

Callaway Rogue Max LS Driver, 9 degrees, Tensei Blue shaft

Mizuno ST180 5 wood

Ping G425 Max 7 wood
Srixon ZX4 4 iron
Srixon ZX5 irons 5-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 shafts

Cleveland RTX6 48* wedge

Cleveland Zipcore 54* wedge
Cleveland RTX 58* full face wedge
Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter 34"

Played Coal Creek at Newcastle. Fairways are in good shape. The rough is thick around some of the greens. They are definitely watering this course. There was a little bit of August brown-out on the side of some fairways, but nothing that effects play. The greens were smooth (definitely superior to China Creek). Bunkers are compact sand; the only OKI course that where I've seen fluffy sand this year is Harbour Pointe.

[quote name='Seattle_Maslow' timestamp='1376925231' post='7705018']
Played China Creek yesterday and it had the best greens I've seen there this year. Not as nice as Coal Creek, but fast. They've mowed lots of the fescue which makes the course a bit more forgiving.
[/quote]

I've been playing China a lot during twilight and the greens are really bumpy. They still roll decent but not as true as they do maybe during morning rounds.

Titleist TS2 9.5
Titleist 917 F2 15*
Titleist 913 19*
Adams CMB 3-P X100
Vokey SM6 52* & 58*
Nike Method 006

Played nine holes in Dakota Creek up in Whatcom County. The fairways were basically hardpan but it was enjoyable getting that kind of roll. I nearly drove three of the par 4's from the blues on the front nine (missed to the side of the greens). The greens were rolling well, albeit they were the slowest greens that I've played all year. The course was basically wide open on the weekend. This is a good course to take players that are getting beyond beginner level and are looking for the next challenge.

Played North Bellingham golf course this weekend. The course is in great shape (superior to many of the Seattle area courses that I've been playing). The greens were rolling well - about medium fast. My only complaint is that some of the players don't fix their pitch marks - the course should put up signs or something. The wind definitely came into play on the back nine - with some tee shots requiring aiming over the junk and letting the wind carry it back in. The long rough is wacked down though, so not too penalizing if you miss the fairway. I'm always pleased with the conditioning at this course.

The Home Course- greens were rolling great. A little on the slow side but true. Rough was not thick unless you got way off line then it got pretty nasty. Overall great condition with a lot of the courses in the area drying out.

Titleist TS2 9.5
Titleist 917 F2 15*
Titleist 913 19*
Adams CMB 3-P X100
Vokey SM6 52* & 58*
Nike Method 006

Trophy Lake 8/24: Course in good condition. Greens rolled true. Tee boxes and fariways were not too beat up. However, the bunkers were full of rocks, pebble sized to 1". I have never seen it like that before. Also oddly enough, there were some areas around the greens that were saturated with water.

PRGR 2015 (Red)Egg 10*/ Muziik Bangvoo Premium 240cpm
TEE XCG6 4w /Muziik Bangvoo Premium 260cpm (tipped 1/4")
PRGR 2015 (Red) Egg 5Ut 23*/ AXE hybrid stiff
2015 OnOff Kuro 4-PW/ Modus3 120s
Yururi Gekku 53*(bent 52) and 57* (bent 58)/  Nippon Modus3 125 Wedge
Slighter FPR Portland/ Yamada Emperor2/ Epon I-33/Hiro Mz-18

Chambers Bay 8/25: Fairways and tee boxes are in great shape save for a few areas covered by netting . The greens still need a lot of work. There were a few (7 and 13 in particular) that were more dirt than fescue.

Semiahmoo 8/25: Greens at this course are amazing right now - running smooth and fast. Rest of the course was in generally good condition however there were a few brown patches in the fairways.

Ping G410 - Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60 Stiff
915F 3w
913H (19) - Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY
Titleist AP3 4-PW - Project X 6.5
Vokey SM7 (48, 54 & 60)
Bettinardi Studio Stock #5 (2012)

[quote name='WestCoastHacker' timestamp='1377722755' post='7761391']
Chambers Bay 8/25: Fairways and tee boxes are in great shape save for a few areas covered by netting . The greens still need a lot of work. There were a few (7 and 13 in particular) that were more dirt than fescue.

Semiahmoo 8/25: Greens at this course are amazing right now - running smooth and fast. Rest of the course was in generally good condition however there were a few brown patches in the fairways.
[/quote]
How on earth did you do that? That must have made a very long day.

[quote name='Dr. Shankenstein' timestamp='1377749495' post='7763665']

[/quote]
[/quote]

My buddy and I left Vancouver, BC at 6am and played Semiahmoo early in the morning. We then piled in the car and drove to Chambers for an early twilight tee time. Driving down and walking 36 was fine. Driving back to Vancouver from Tacoma at 8:30p was the issue. Monday wasn't my finest day at work.

Ping G410 - Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60 Stiff
915F 3w
913H (19) - Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY
Titleist AP3 4-PW - Project X 6.5
Vokey SM7 (48, 54 & 60)
Bettinardi Studio Stock #5 (2012)

Played Semiahmoo yesterday afternoon. Agreed, the greens are great. The fairways had a few brown patches and the rain from the day before slowed the course down. Overall great shape.

Callaway Rogue Max LS Driver, 9 degrees, Tensei Blue shaft

Mizuno ST180 5 wood

Ping G425 Max 7 wood
Srixon ZX4 4 iron
Srixon ZX5 irons 5-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 shafts

Cleveland RTX6 48* wedge

Cleveland Zipcore 54* wedge
Cleveland RTX 58* full face wedge
Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter 34"

[quote name='WestCoastHacker' timestamp='1377789859' post='7765449']
[quote name='Dr. Shankenstein' timestamp='1377749495' post='7763665']

[/quote]
[/quote]

My buddy and I left Vancouver, BC at 6am and played Semiahmoo early in the morning. We then piled in the car and drove to Chambers for an early twilight tee time. Driving down and walking 36 was fine. Driving back to Vancouver from Tacoma at 8:30p was the issue. Monday wasn't my finest day at work.
[/quote]
Niiice, Sounds like an epic day. Walking that final back 9 at CB would have done me in.

Washington National

As usual, the onslaught of summer tournaments is starting to take it's toll. The course is overall in decent condition - it seems like they are doing lots of sanding and some of the tee boxes have been punched lately. The greens are showing foot prints all over them (typical for John Fought courses in late summer). Not getting a whole bunch of roll - I actually had a tee shot plug in the fairway. The sand is the best that I've seen anywhere around Seattle this year.

Played China Creek on Friday after a couple days of rain and MAN THAT COURSE WAS WET. I had a ball plug in the fairway on the downhill 10th. Only good thing is that it made the greens really sticky so lower scores were out there.

Titleist TS2 9.5
Titleist 917 F2 15*
Titleist 913 19*
Adams CMB 3-P X100
Vokey SM6 52* & 58*
Nike Method 006

Played White Horse last Wednesday. The greens were rolling well. The fairways were nice, but a little soft from the previous days rain. The bunkers were horrendous. There was no sand and it was a mixture of tiny rocks and dirt.

Titleist 10.5* 913D3 Dia Blue 62
Titleist 17* 913F 4W Dia Blue 62
Titleist 3i 712u Driving Iron KBS Tour-V
Titleist 714 CB 5-PW KBS Tour-V
Odyssey ProType Black #9
Vokey SM5 50,56,60

• 2 weeks later...

9/10 Salish Cliffs

Ran my group of reg's down there for great day of golf. 80 degrees and not a cloud in sight. The morning started off on the wrong foot w/ staff due to their pro shop staff not communicating to the pro regarding a pre-arranged coupon deal, but it all worked out in the end. They very nicely accomadated my group of 8 for half off.

The condition was pristine as always, lush fairways, smooth greens and a grass range to warm up on. I'd say the greens were rolling around a 10-11 not the fastest. The putting green on the other hand was prob rolling around a 13 which threw a lot of us off through the first couple of holes. Bunkers are always a little too fluff'd up for my taste but only found 1 of them all day on #9. The fescue is up so missing the fairways will penalize you. I missed 4 fairways on the front which were maybe 5 yds from the rough and I couldn't find a single ball. The views on each hole are picturesque and much like a lot of other resort courses have holes setup where you feel like you're the only one on the whole course. The marshall was on point and kept the round going at a good pace, no 5 hour rounds here. They even let one of our fouresomes play for a replay rate for dirt cheap.

If you haven't played Salish this summer highly reccomend it.

TM M1 460 10.5° .::. MRC Tensei CK Blue 6S
Adams XTD Ti 15° .::. Matrix 7Q3 S
TM R15 Black 19° .::. Fujikura Motore Speeder 8.1 S (tipped 2")
Bridgestone Airmuscle 2i 19° .::. PX HD2
Tourstage X Blade 709 CB 4i .::. Nippon Modus 3 125S tipped 1/2"
Tourstage X Blade 909 Ltd 5-PW .::. Nippon Modus 3 125S tipped 1/2"
Bridgestone J15 Black Ox 52°/58° .::. DG Onyx S400
Piretti 'Tour Only' Cortino II w/ Matrix U11-P01 Proto
Piretti 'Cortino LN' Long Neck Tour Ltd
Piretti Teramo CS
Bridgestone *B* Tour 330
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1059465-bpark1210-witb-bridgestone-pic-heavy/page__pid__9832393#entry9832393"]WITB Link[/url]

Sudden Valley

The greens are firm and fast. The fairways had some burnout but not too bad.

North Bellingham

They aerated on 9/4 so the greens are still sandy, a little furry and slow. Didn't make a lot of putts that day. The rest of the course is still in good shape.

Homestead

Really nice, fast greens and good conditioning. Sand was very firm.

It was my first time playing Homestead - the design of the course is very nice and the conditioning is good. I've heard some complaints about the houses on this course and I now see what they were talking about. The back nine feels like one of those retirement community courses with small houses lining the fairways...with a few houses being WAAAY too close to the fairways and greens.

09/18/2013 - Gold Mountain - Olympic Course

Beautiful weather here in Seattle, couldn't of asked for a more perfect weather day on Weds. Ran out to Gold Mountain on the Seattle/Bremerton ferry with a group of 8 and it was perfect. Blue skies and big fluffy white clouds all day. Only a slight breeze at times. We tee'd off at 2.20/2.30pm. The course was still wet from dew and the marshall on the first tee was giving us warnings about how someone flipped a cart last week. I'll take that with a grain of salt as if they always tell these stories to ward off spirited driving. Anyways the marshall on the first tee is on point as always at GM. They def like to stand close on the tee box while you are trying to tee off. They almost kind of make you feel like they are expecting you to wiff one out playing fromt he tourney tees. We all showed up 5 min before our tee time (golfnow check in) and proceeded to stripe 3/4 tee shots in his face, Felt good!

The fairways were mowed nicely and the rough was up. They had just hosted a collegiate championship of some sort the two days prior. The greens were discolored a wierd funky green from chems/fertalizer but rolled nicely except were there was heavy foot traffic. The course really softened up with all the rain we had on Sunday. The fairways were soggy in spots and my playing buddies all had some chunked wedges at one point in the day, no fault of GM but just something to note. The course is playing tough right now due to the pins being tucked on every hole. Talking about front pins on false fronts, high on ridges, 3 paces in over bunkers etc . . . Gues they gave all the college players a good test.

Overall had a great time w/ the boys for one last golf trip for the summer. Def reccomend GM for anyone that can play it for a good test. Played harder than Salish last week for sure. Not sure how long the pins will be placed where they are but we plan to go back next Tues. Best part was it was $24 w/ cart through golfnow for an all day play rate. Got in 22 holes before daylight passed.

Piretti Teramo CS
Bridgestone *B* Tour 330
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1059465-bpark1210-witb-bridgestone-pic-heavy/page__pid__9832393#entry9832393"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='bpark1210' timestamp='1379634857' post='7880113']

Beautiful weather here in Seattle, couldn't of asked for a more perfect weather day on Weds. Ran out to Gold Mountain on the Seattle/Bremerton ferry with a group of 8 and it was perfect. Blue skies and big fluffy white clouds all day. Only a slight breeze at times. We tee'd off at 2.20/2.30pm. The course was still wet from dew and the marshall on the first tee was giving us warnings about how someone flipped a cart last week. I'll take that with a grain of salt as if they always tell these stories to ward off spirited driving. Anyways the marshall on the first tee is on point as always at GM. They def like to stand close on the tee box while you are trying to tee off. They almost kind of make you feel like they are expecting you to wiff one out playing fromt he tourney tees. We all showed up 5 min before our tee time (golfnow check in) and proceeded to stripe 3/4 tee shots in his face, Felt good!

The fairways were mowed nicely and the rough was up. They had just hosted a collegiate championship of some sort the two days prior. The greens were discolored a wierd funky green from chems/fertalizer but rolled nicely except were there was heavy foot traffic. The course really softened up with all the rain we had on Sunday. The fairways were soggy in spots and my playing buddies all had some chunked wedges at one point in the day, no fault of GM but just something to note. The course is playing tough right now due to the pins being tucked on every hole. Talking about front pins on false fronts, high on ridges, 3 paces in over bunkers etc . . . Gues they gave all the college players a good test.

Overall had a great time w/ the boys for one last golf trip for the summer. Def reccomend GM for anyone that can play it for a good test. Played harder than Salish last week for sure. Not sure how long the pins will be placed where they are but we plan to go back next Tues. Best part was it was $24 w/ cart through golfnow for an all day play rate. Got in 22 holes before daylight passed.
[/quote]
It wasn't just to ward off drivers![attachment=1882881:image.jpg]

[quote name='TheMackDaddy' timestamp='1379635506' post='7880169']
[quote name='bpark1210' timestamp='1379634857' post='7880113']

[/quote]
It wasn't just to ward off drivers![attachment=1882881:image.jpg]
[/quote]

Ha! Holy sh** The marshall said something about 3k in damages added to the group's green fee but I didn't believe him. Looks like the Cascade course?

Piretti Teramo CS
Bridgestone *B* Tour 330

Played Glen Eagle yesterday and it was awesome. I have no idea how they keep the greens that nice this late. The rough was pretty brutal but still playable.

They have aerated most of the course minus the greens, so theres that, but it didn't affect play at all, except almost falling over trying to tee up into a hole.

35 bucks for all you can golf with a cart on Thursday on that course is CRAZY good.