2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Orange Whip - Worth It Or Skip It?

HennyBogan1

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have an Orange Whip, and I love it, when I use it. I have also found that it has helped with my sequencing, making sure my lower body starts the the downswing. I also think the extra weight of the Ball helps with overall flexibility in the back swing and follow through. I think this is one of the best training aids around.

Nike Covert - Stiff
Cobra Amp Combo - 3H, 4H, 5-PW - Stiff
Trusty Rusty 55° (Bent to 53)
Trusty Rusty 59°
NC - Dinero Exec
Playing Time - 2 Years

[quote name='larrybud' timestamp='1378263409' post='7794259']
How would you guys compare it to the SKLZ Tempo trainer? Seems to be the same thing for 1/2 the price.

[url="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0053C3WDC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER"]http://www.amazon.co...d=ATVPDKIKX0DER[/url]
[/quote]

In my experience, it is a stiffer and it is not counterbalanced. I prefer the OW, but if I didn't have bday money burning a hole in my pocket, I am not sure if I would have bought the OW.

The original .... Or a cheap knock off? Check your bag, are you playing copies of quality clubs or name brand originals.

If price is the issue please feel free to use "PuttDoc" as a coupon code for a little cost savings.

Buy made in the USA and keep Americans working in South Carolina!

Glen Coombe
The Putting Doctor “Retired!”
Level 3 SAM PuttLab Instructor
Carribean Represemtative SAM Sports
Creator of Perfection Platforms
Http://puttingdoctor.net

[quote name='Jacob Mac' timestamp='1378326458' post='7797669']
[quote name='larrybud' timestamp='1378263409' post='7794259']
How would you guys compare it to the SKLZ Tempo trainer? Seems to be the same thing for 1/2 the price.

[url="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0053C3WDC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER"]http://www.amazon.co...d=ATVPDKIKX0DER[/url]
[/quote]

In my experience, it is a stiffer and it is not counterbalanced. I prefer the OW, but if I didn't have bday money burning a hole in my pocket, I am not sure if I would have bought the OW.
[/quote]Same here. I've got a Dick's gift card from my bday and prob the only reason I'd consider spending that much.

910D3 Project X
913F 15* Whiteboard 82s
910H 19* Tour AD-DI 105s
714 AP1 4-PW XP95 S300
SM4 52/56/60 DGS300
Kenny Giannini G-1 Slimline

[quote name='10_ft_Jon_Boat' timestamp='1378174663' post='7788649']
Big fan! I use it when I can't play or feel my swing is getting out of whack. Agree that it is expensive, but I like how it grooves my swing. I even bought the smaller, hickory model to swing in the basement.
[/quote]Seems if you took and old shaft cut it in 1/2 attached a string or chain on it, attached a tennis ball or two to the end you could essentially make the same thing. I own several training devices, the thing to keep in mind with them is that none of them will solve all problems. Generally all training aids will help cure some specific flaw, if transition is the flaw then this one will probably help.

A good example is the medicus, it doesn't get much love this day and age but if you have a quick snatchy take-away it is great. Bought one years ago and it really helped, I haven't touched it in years because I don't have that problem anymore.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

I bought an Orange Whip a few months ago. When I first started using it I didn't really understand how it was supposed to help. I am a little bigger guy and I felt like I could simply just overpower the thing. I could swing it back and through easily but it definitely felt off-plane and out of balance. Eventually I figured out you gotta let the shaft fully 'set' at the top, which kind of forces you to start the downswing with your lower body. If you rush the transition it will always feel wrong. When you let the shaft set it feels incredibly easy, smooth, and powerful. I think the Orange Whip is a great tool for taming a quick transition. And of course, it's a nice tool for getting loose.

[quote name='elvis' timestamp='1378561479' post='7811277']
[quote name='Cherry Ghost' timestamp='1378174469' post='7788643']
Never heard of it before this, but it is interesting. That said, $109 seems steep.
[/quote]

Try the Skills goldFlex. Same idea but about $59. I got mine for $30 on Ebay. I've used the OW and GF,I don't see a difference.
[/quote]

Same idea but not the same. OW is counter balanced and it makes a difference to me.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

• 2 weeks later...

I have had an Orange Whip for 2 years now and I use it on a pretty regular basis, swinging it between rounds in back garden as with a young family I don't get much time to practise, I get to play 2-3 times a week though in summer months so I do ok.

My handicap has improved slightly in that time using Orange Whip and self diagnosis from mid-high down to mid. I have just had a couple of lessons with my local pro which has made the biggest difference, I am now very close to single digit.

I feel the Orange Whip has definitely improved both my overall distance and ball striking, it helped me to turn better and feel the correct transition which has added length and consistency. I was still rotating hands too quickly, getting inside quick and across line at top, but my pro says that is because with my strong grip I was having to add loft to face on way back so I rotated hands early to do that.

Now that I have neutral grip I am working on a more one piece takeaway which the Orange Whip is very good at helping with.

All in all the Orange Whip with correct instruction is brilliant. I think there is a reason so many tour pros carry one and so many teachers have put videos on YouTube.

If you use it solely by yourself it will definitely improve some aspects of your swing however combine it with a pro's advice and you may improve at double the pace because the Whip seems to allow you to slow the swing down and really feel the correct movements back and through.

Hope this gives you an idea of what the Orange Whip has done for me. I also would love to hear more long term reviews of the Orange Whip and what improvements it has made to handicaps.

Taylormade M1 430 Aldila Rogue Silver 70s
Titleist 917 f2 Fujikura Speeder TS 84s
Titleist AP2 3-Pw AMT s300
Vokey SM6 tour chrome 50, 54, 58 s200
Taylormade Daddy Long Legs +

• 2 months later...

[quote name='prorobo' timestamp='1379827004' post='7891907']
I've got a question for the OW owners out there, did it drop your handicap at all (or at least improve your ball striking if putting is your score killer)?
[/quote]

My handicap was in the 9-10 range at the beginning of 2013. I got the Orange Whip around July, and my handicap declined steadily. It is now 5.3.

[quote name='Stampa' timestamp='1385574891' post='8216630']
I've got a question for the OW owners out there, did it drop your handicap at all (or at least improve your ball striking if putting is your score killer)?
[/quote]

My handicap was in the 9-10 range at the beginning of 2013. I got the Orange Whip around July, and my handicap declined steadily. It is now 5.3.
[/quote]

What else have you been doing besides using the OW?

Any practice, lessons?

If I do this 11,548 more times, I will be having fun. - Zippy the Pinhead

[quote name='northgolf' timestamp='1385575480' post='8216682']
[quote name='Stampa' timestamp='1385574891' post='8216630']
[/quote]

[/quote]

What else have you been doing besides using the OW?

Any practice, lessons?
[/quote]

Yes, I've practiced somewhat regularly. About a bucket or two of balls per week, an hour or two or short game practice each week, and of course playing about 36 holes a week. I took one online lesson from Monte early this year before I got the whip. Monte told me my biggest problem was that my arms were stuck behind my turn, and I had some early extension. I just happened to buy an Orange Whip based on the good reviews, and it's helped me synch up my arms with my lower body. I've seen quite an improvement in my ball striking.

Thanks for the reply Stampa,

I understand you like the feel of the OW, but you practiced a fair amount as well. The question is how much of the improvement was due to the practice and how much was due to the OW, and how that is apportioned is a difficult question.

I'm glad you found the OW useful.

Three summers ago, I went from a 10.8 to a 5.2 just using the same practice routine you described but I did not have an OW at the time.

I have an OW now and, while I enjoy swinging it, I have found no appreciable effect on my game.

[quote name='sweetswing22' timestamp='1385582549' post='8217372']
[quote name='davekzg' timestamp='1378225155' post='7791015']
would it help increase flexibility?
[/quote]yes for sure.
[/quote]

Yes, its weight does cause some dynamic stretching.

That said, it is not as effective as stretching exercises - I am way more flexible after 8 weeks of doing stretches I've been taught by my PT than I ever was after 4 months with the OW.

[quote name='northgolf' timestamp='1385582615' post='8217388']

I understand you like the feel of the OW, but you practiced a fair amount as well. The question is how much of the improvement was due to the practice and how much was due to the OW, and how that is apportioned is a difficult question.

Three summers ago, I went from a 10.8 to a 5.2 just using the same practice routine you described but I did not have an OW at the time.

I have an OW now and, while I enjoy swinging it, I have found no appreciable effect on my game.
[/quote]

You're right, it may or may not have been due to the OW. I have been as low as a 6 without any training aids in the past. However, I've never hit the ball better, and I've had playing partners tell me I'm "swinging easy" or "swinging within myself". In reality my swing does feel a bit smoother, but it feels just as fast overall and I've gained distance with all of my clubs. For me, there is no doubt the OW is changing my swing, hopefully for the better in the long run.

So, Northgolf, what part of your game is holding you back from getting lower now? Would you say ball-striking is a strength? In which case the Orange Whip may not help you as much as it's helped others.

[quote name='PuttingDoctor' timestamp='1378383429' post='7800981']
The original .... Or a cheap knock off? Check your bag, are you playing copies of quality clubs or name brand originals.

If price is the issue please feel free to use "PuttDoc" as a coupon code for a little cost savings.

Buy made in the USA and keep Americans working in South Carolina!
[/quote]
The "cheap knockoff" is in the bag of some PGA Tour pros. Charles Howell III has had a GoldFlex in his bag for some time now.

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: PXG 0311XF Gen 5 4 Wood; Smoke iM10 Green 70 TX D6

Irons: PXG 0317X; PXG 0311T Gen 5; 5-GW DG 105 X D7

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

[quote name='Stampa' timestamp='1385583837' post='8217462']
[quote name='northgolf' timestamp='1385582615' post='8217388']

[/quote]

You're right, it may or may not have been due to the OW. I have been as low as a 6 without any training aids in the past. However, I've never hit the ball better, and I've had playing partners tell me I'm "swinging easy" or "swinging within myself". In reality my swing does feel a bit smoother, but it feels just as fast overall and I've gained distance with all of my clubs. For me, there is no doubt the OW is changing my swing, hopefully for the better in the long run.

So, Northgolf, what part of your game is holding you back from getting lower now? Would you say ball-striking is a strength? In which case the Orange Whip may not help you as much as it's helped others.
[/quote]

In terms of ball striking, my irons and fairways are good but I had a tendency to pull/pull hook the driver a couple of times a round (loosing the club at the top of the backswing). I figured that one out in mid summer and I was hitting 68% fairways after that with my misses be maybe a yard or two in the rough. I could use another 10 mph in swing speed through out the set (105 driver, 82 six iron).

I've been stalled at around a 6 for the past couple of years. One major problem holding me back has been injuries resulting from being out of shape from 30 years at a sedentary job and a 10 year hiatus from golf. In the middle of the summer, I has a string of 12 scores in a row the 70's (one a 2 over 73), then I sprained my left ankle while practicing. Came back three weeks later - it took me a couple of weeks of low 80's before I was hitting it well again and then I get hit with ITB band syndrome with my left knee and patellar tendonitis. The injuries were due to flexibility and joint instability due to supporting muscle weakness - I have been doing physical therapy for the past two months and will continue physical training indefinitely.

Outside of the physical issues, my short game around the greens is terrible with up and downs at 28%. Sand saves aren't bad at 53% for the year, but I've been a lot better there. My putting is ok - I ended the year at 32 putts per round and under 2 putts per green in regulation - that would be a lot lower if my short game was leaving me under 5 footers instead of under twenty footers. I don't belong to a club, and none of the public courses in the area have a short game practice area worth using. Next year I'll probably play some twilight golf and use the course for short game practice.

So, you are right - the OW really doesn't address my main scoring issues. My strength and flexibility issues were such that it would be unfair to expect the OW to address them.

If you use the Orange Whip correctly, you will feel the loading of the shaft on the downswing and as a result it will help you create the proper sequence of motion that great players have, It also has the additional benefit of physical fitness by conditioning the muscles as you swing and forcing you to maintain your balance. It is a simple device yet very effective. I recommend it to my students.

Director of Instruction
David Toms Golf Academy
Shreveport, LA
PGA Class A Member
Trackman, Swing Catalyst
GEARS 3D Motion Capture

www.athleticmotiongolf.com

www.davidtoms265.com

www.shaunwebbgolf.com