The Grenade

HackinNut

Has anyone heard of the "Grenade" offered by a company called Bombtech?? If so, what do you think of it? What is all the hype about?? They claim to have been engineered by University of Vermont engineers with a special metal.

They also claim to go further than all of todays drivers on the market .... Titleist, TM, etc.

Does anyone have any feedback on this?

www.bombtechgolf.com

Driver: Titleist TSR3 UST Mamiya Prototype  

Fairways: Titleist TS2 13.5* UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue

Utility: Titleist U500 19* Fujikura Ventus Blue HB

Irons:  T350 4 & 5, T200 6-PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges: Vokey SM9 48*, 52*, 56*

Putter: L.A.B. Golf MEZZ.1 Proto 

Ball: ProV1 Left Dot

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No but if its "legal" then it not any longer than any other driver made in the last 5-10 years.

It would be cool if it actually goes pow all by itself through, save my voice from having to yell it all day.

:)

XRP 8.5* XS
XRP #3 XS
Cally Apex MB 3i-9i PX 7.0
Cally MD3 52*/56*/60*
Scotty Studio Select Custom

I was curious about this and got one 3 weeks ago. It is a very solid head. The thing is that they are only offering one loft 10.5, and one shaft (a matrix made for the grenade) in different flexes. Service and shipping were great and got the club at the specs and length I ordered in 4 days. The club has 2 cavities on the sole plate. It has a very penetrating ball flight. I got average results with the stock shaft, and pulled it and put in a HOF Protolite shat that is a gamer for me. This made the Grenade come alive. It is very long, in my top five with the AMP Cell pro and the Adams Launch Lab, G25 SYARD T388 and Ryoma Maxima. . It is very anti left for the most part. If you are late thru impact the ball is going right. When you swing correctly the results are outstanding. It is by far the best into the wind driver Ive ever hit. It also seems to be made to be hit hard. Smooth lazy swings will not work well with the Grenade. This club is basically a hitters club. If you swing 100 mph or higher correctly the results will be great, If you are a 95 mph or less swinger, there are better options.20130421_180619-1024x768-599x275.jpg914034_453455058070658_1405467662_o.jpg

Had mine just over a month now. This thing is long! Beat out my Superdeep I've been using for 3 years. The Grenade is the first driver that has done that. Sound and feel is very good. The stock shaft is OK, but I'm looking to try a different shaft in it. Don't worry about the 10.5 loft. I hit a very high ball and this launches about the same as my 9.5 superdeep and 8.5 Superfast TP

I believe I will put this driver back in my bag. First couple of rounds produced some of the longest drives of the year. For some reason, I start slicing and instead of believing it's my fault, it is so easy to to play another driver. Lol

Mizuno JPX 900 driver
Mizuno JPX 900 3 wood
Mizuno JPX 900 5 wood
Mizuno MP 66 irons with Modus 105 shafts
Scratch 50,55,60 wedges with Steelfibers I95's
Mizuno MP A303 putter

Well, the guy who designed it was involved in Long Distance Competition, so I imagine it was meant to be hit ... hard.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

I've also had mine for just over a month. Only been golfing a few years now so I'm not the greatest and I just got my own clubs this year. My buddy let me hit his before I got my clubs so I decided to buy this for my driver. I have been hitting them the longest I have ever hit them... I love it and can't complain about anything with the club.

from the website, bombtechgolf, they aren't claiming outrages numbers. Has a chart and says it is less then 2 yards farther then the Titleist 913 driver.

TM Q10 LS 9, Graphite Design AD XC X
TM M4 3 wood

TM Stealth 4 hybrid
TM p7mc 4-PW, DG S300
Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60
Titleist Scotty Cameron Squareback 2

With zero info on how that chart was generated, it is worthless. There can be a couple of mph difference in club head speed (and therefore ball) based on weight, aerodynamics, and shaft length but it is all pretty much random on who that helps and who it hurts.

Personally I would love to hit it (and the Krank) and a bunch of other "boutique" drivers but I can't see spending 300+ bucks sight unseen. This also goes for some of the wedge companies. Seems like they either have to get in stores (there go the margins) or go the a heck of a lot of demo days.

[quote name='mweaver84' timestamp='1378911904' post='7832095']
from the website, bombtechgolf, they aren't claiming outrages numbers. Has a chart and says it is less then 2 yards farther then the Titleist 913 driver.
[/quote]

[quote name='mweaver84' timestamp='1378911904' post='7832095']
[/quote]

The chart they provide is strange, assuming they used a robot with identical swing speeds, it somehow produced a ball speed of 4.5 mph more than all the other OEMs. Given COR is fixed, they either are outside of the rules or their "aero dynamics" some how increase club head speed that significantly, which is iffy at best. That and the 3200rpm spin rate it produces will be way too high for your typical golfwrx 300yrd+ bomber.

I posted this SAME question some months ago. Asking if anyone had heard of this club etc.... The mods CLOSED the post saying I was promoting the site????????????????????? WTF???????????????????????????

When I asked WHY, this is the curt response I got:

"Promotion of products, sites, services/research is not allowed. "

[quote name='Gotblades' timestamp='1378924310' post='7833169']
I posted this SAME question some months ago. Asking if anyone had heard of this club etc.... The mods CLOSED the post saying I was promoting the site????????????????????? WTF???????????????????????????

[/quote]

Oh no, you misunderstood. they clearly meant no promotion of products! [size=2]unless they lavish mods and members with booze, gifts, clubs and golf for a weekend making them adjunct members of that teams marketing department. then promote away![/size]

Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
Hybrid undecided
Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

[quote name='KYMAR' timestamp='1378924973' post='7833211']

[/quote]

Oh no, you misunderstood. they clearly meant no promotion of products! [size=2]unless they lavish mods and members with booze, gifts, clubs and golf for a weekend making them adjunct members of that teams marketing department. then promote away![/size]
[/quote]

Yes, my bad.... :-)

The chart on the site is from some guys golf blog. I was skeptical about it at first but found the actual forum, he said the spin was up b/c he hit the Grenade with a stiff when he actually needs a x-stiff. I can say from personal experience, I have hit it head to head against the R1, Superdeep, SLDR, 910,913, and X-Hot. Some on a sim and some on the course, this thing was longer. The shaft is a little soft in the tip, but tipping it 3/4 inch helped a bit. FYI, there is a 30 day money back guarantee if you don't like it and I think he occasionally sells demo's at a discount.

I googled to find that site and I just love the quote"[color=#000000][size=1]My driver swing speed is 110-115, and I usually hit the ball over 300 yards on average.". And then you look at the numbers and he doesn't average 300 with any of the drivers even with the 30 yards of roll and if he is swinging 110+ with those ball speeds, he has some contact issues since his smash factor is down around 1.4. I must admit I see those numbers and go with some shaft tweaking (a degree of launch angle here and 500 less rpms there) on any of those drivers and I bet you could get 10 more yards.[/size][/color]

[quote name='Golfingmedic' timestamp='1378956596' post='7836195']
The chart on the site is from some guys golf blog. I was skeptical about it at first but found the actual forum, he said the spin was up b/c he hit the Grenade with a stiff when he actually needs a x-stiff. I can say from personal experience, I have hit it head to head against the R1, Superdeep, SLDR, 910,913, and X-Hot. Some on a sim and some on the course, this thing was longer. The shaft is a little soft in the tip, but tipping it 3/4 inch helped a bit. FYI, there is a 30 day money back guarantee if you don't like it and I think he occasionally sells demo's at a discount.
[/quote]

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I bought one 3 weeks ago, they were on sale for $199 so I thought I would pull the trigger.
My current drivers are razrfit and the razr fit extreme. I play them with the face set to open and my miss is usually a pull hook.
With the grenade I was slicing right out of the box and bad too. Took me about about 1200 balls and three weeks to figure out what was happening. It plays a little heavier and I think it was pulling the head out on my down swing and causing me to outside in the ball. Now it seems I can hit this driver as good as I hit the razrs. My miss is a push now, with the Callaway it was a hook.
After I got this thing under control I decided to do a side by side comparison with my two Callaway drivers.
So it was off to the range and I compared all three of my drivers side by side. Hit 250 balls. The razrs were custom fit for me with after market shafts and I was able to change those out as a comparison as well. I would hit a few balls at a time with each driver ensuring that I could get used to each driver's weight and get a good couple of swings with each driver. I did this several times over two hours at the range. I wanted to get a true feel for which driver was longer and straighter.
The last 50 balls or so I was tired but I was taking my best swings and getting the best results with all three of my drivers.
Results of my unscientific experiment. Grenade was consistantly longer than both of the Callaways. The balls were landing closer to the fence more often, I'm sure of it, also, my longest and straightest drive of the dayh came from the Grenade. Dispersion, hard to say which driver had the narower dispersion, no hooks with the Grenade but more pushes than the Callaways. If forced to offer an opinion I'd say the Razr had a smaller disperion than both the Razr Extreme and the Grenade but that is probably because I have had the Razr a long time and it was my only driver for a year before I bought the Extreme and 14 months before Ibought the Grenade. Ball flight, The Grenade Ballooned much less than the Callways, only a couple of times and some of those range balls are pretty beat up. The Callaways generaly had a lower ball flight but ballooned more often. The roll out couldn't be observed because the range has a back fence that all of the well struck balls would bounce against.
I hope to add more to this in a couple of weeks after I play the grenade for a few rounds. I think for the price though the performance is remarkable.
Quality seems top notch, if the paint is indicative of the build quality, and it is a solid club, this driver should last for years and years.
The sound on a well struck ball is second to none on the RFE, the Grenade is a close second. The feel on both the Grenade and the RFE is Butter
Heel hits on all three clubs will usually end up on the fairway. Toe hits on the RFE and the RF will draw for me, a toe hit on the Grenade slices.
Driverhead's post is spot on about this driver. It really is a beast but you have to keep control of the club head. It is longer than my razr Fit, I'm sure of that. I won't know really how long this thing can be until I play it a little more. Is it more forgiving? I'm not sure. I am going to bench my Callaways and try this on the course for a few rounds and see what happens.

[quote name='HackinNut' timestamp='1378394086' post='7801699']
Has anyone heard of the "Grenade" offered by a company called Bombtech?? If so, what do you think of it? What is all the hype about?? They claim to have been engineered by University of Vermont engineers with a special metal.
They also claim to go further than all of todays drivers on the market .... Titleist, TM, etc.
Does anyone have any feedback on this?

www.bombtechgolf.com
[/quote]Not a very scientific response but I tried one that belonged to a friend of mine while we were playing in an indoor golf league earlier this week. I must say I was pretty impressed. during the first nine my best drives were going about 230. During the second nine when the scores on didn't count I borrowed my friends driver and my best drives were going over 250 and my bad drives were around 230. Obviously it could have been that I was more warmed up or a bunch of other possible reasons. but it certainly gave me pause to consider looking into this driver more seriously. fortunately I live in Vermont not far from where they are made. I suspect I can probably get a chance to visit and learn more about the driver. Until I can play some rounds outdoors, I won't be totally convinced

[/quote]

You must understand- seemingly random thread closings are kind of their "thing".

[quote name='nohny noke' timestamp='1391126069' post='8567920']

[/quote]

You must understand- seemingly random thread closings are kind of their "thing".
[/quote]

Also not a good idea to mention Brandel Chamblee's appearance.

I got all excited about this thread thinking we were discussing...

450px-HandGrenade.JPG

And then I remembered I was back on the golf forum and not on the "reminiscing about college road trips" forum. :russian_roulette:

Driver: Cobra Aerojet LS 9* | Kai'Li White 60X

3W: Cobra Aerojet LS 14.5* | Kai'Li White 70X

Hybrid: Titleist TSi2 18* | Tensei AV White 90x

3i-4i: Mizuno Pro 225 | C-Taper 130x

5i-9i: Mizuno MP4 | C-Taper 130x

Wedges: TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 48* / 53* / 58* | C-Taper 130x / S+

Putter: Custom Shop Cameron Studio Select Squareback 1 - 34"

• 4 months later...

[quote name='nohny noke' timestamp='1391126069' post='8567920']

[/quote]

[/quote]

I couldn't disagree more.
As a site that is geared towards its members they can and will exercise their right to keep non sponsors from promoting products. If the wording of the aforementioned post was questionable then I have no problem with them deleting the post. If the mods sent the OP an email they would have to wait for the response. Instead, they protect the field by deleting it right away.
Random thread closings??? Laughable.
What is more amazing, to me, is that most of the posts that asks these questions come from people who have 1 or 2... or 20 total posts... which, IMHO, makes it more suspect than anything.
I like the fact that Bombgolf took the time to reply to this thread though.

Ping G400 Max AD IZ 6s
2016 TI M2 HL AD IZ 7s
M2 4h AD DI 8s
Ping G400 5hy ADDI 9s
718 TMB 6-Gap Modus 130s
Scratch 53 Modus 125
Scratch 57 Modus 125
PXG 03x 60* Modus 125

Scotty Cameron Custom 009 HHH

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/982109-joes-witb-set-for-2014-update-2015/#entry10682349"]WITB Link[/url]