Dogs

calc61

The most glaring minus is cost. Vet bills, food, boarding and possibly medication all add up. Shedding and picking up dog poop are also a minus but if your even a bit concerned about that then I wouldn't get a dog. There are a lot of pluses. My dog is a great companion. He is definitely part of the family. My son has grown up with my dog around and they are buddies. If you are active then get a more athletic dog to do things with you. I use to take my lab to the course with me when I worked greens maintenance. Dogs are a big responsibility but I think they are worth it. Just make sure to get a breed that works with your lifestyle.

Ping G425 10.5 Graphite Design Tour AD-TP 65x
Ping G425 5 and 7 woods with Aldila Rogue 80s
Ping G525 4 iron Project X LZ 6.5
Ping i210 5-PW Project X LZ 6.5
Ping Glide 3 50 DG S400

Vokey 54s and 58m with DG S400
Artisan Golf 0217 

There are no minuses! Dogs enrich your life and you cannot ever measure the amount of love & joy they give you.....your love for them is nothing compared to their love for you. Just please be a truly "responsible" dog owner. Dogs need three things.......exercise, discipline, & affection (in that order). Make your dog be the dog that everyone loves to be around.

I like all animals, but am partial to dogs and cats. I always see older guys rolling around the courses with their dogs in the cart. The only problem with dogs is that the bigger they are (we had rotties growing up) the shorter the life expectancy. Our oldest dog lived to be 12. However, they are worth their weight in gold so long as you train them and give them the proper attention.

I AM AN FBI AGENT!!!!

We have a sheltie (it's actually my wife's from before we met, he is 9 now). They are great dogs and very intelligent, but as with all the shepherd dogs they are very very active when they are young. There's really not much you can do about it....they will destroy things around your house, eat your shoes, DVD cases, basically anything that they can chew. Even if you take them out to run a few times a day (which you should, at least twice) they will still be a bit crazy the first few years.

My ex girlfriend bought a border collie and raised him from when he was only a few weeks old and they are similar to shelties. I was there for the first couple of years before we broke up, but yeah, we'd take him to the park twice a day and throw tennis balls the length of a soccer field and he'd just run and run and run. Sometimes you come home and find your DVD eaten. It's pretty cool to watch them at dog parks too because they kind of "officiate" everything being herders.

Good thing is they are very smart, so once they get a bit older and settle down a bit they are awesome, and really listen to you. Though they always want to play a bit. Our sheltie is 9 and still likes to fetch. Only he can't go for as long anymore.

Shepherd dogs in general are awesome dogs. I've been around them basically the last 6-7 years. (first the border collie and now a sheltie)

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Quite simply, getting a dog is like adding another member to your family. I've always had a dog since the time I was 5 years old. While there's responsibilities and things you have to do in taking care of them, they are far outweighed by the positives of having a dog. When you have a bad day, you can come home to a wagging tail and unconditional love. It's honestly the purest form of emotion that I can imagine. They're truly happy to see you and you to see them. Like others have said, there's lots of differences between breeds. Just do your research to find the right breed to for your lifestyle. I have a border collie/lab mix, and a griffon pointer/lab mix and I can honestly say I like them more than most people I've met. When you're ready to get one, I'd suggest looking on petfinder.com for a rescue. You can find most every breed, and there's the added bonus of giving a dog in need a good home. I understand some people's desire to get one from a breeder, but theres so many animals out there in need of a home. Good luck, I'm sure you'll find a furry friend that's perfect for you.

[quote name='Kaysquare' timestamp='1379898027' post='7894937']
There are no minuses! Dogs enrich your life and you cannot ever measure the amount of love & joy they give you.....your love for them is nothing compared to their love for you. Just please be a truly "responsible" dog owner. Dogs need three things.......exercise, discipline, & affection (in that order). Make your dog be the dog that everyone loves to be around.
[/quote]

+1

Couldn't have said it any better...

I have always had a dog growing up so they are essential to me.

Me and my wife got our first dog together together two years ago. She has never owned a pet before and was very reluctant to get one. She had all of the same impressions on what would be be bad about owning a dog. Cost, time, etc. Now seeing how much she is in love with having our dog, its truly amazing to see how getting a pet can really change a persons life. I've never seen her happier.

After a few months she really came around and saw how incredible it is to be a pet owners. The cost really isn't a lot for us. We have a chihuahua mix so he is small and doesn't require a bunch of food. The standard vet bill so far is 120 once a year . The dog park we go to is 70 a year. So very cheap to have a best friend.

It doesn't matter how terrible your day was, your best friend will make it incredibly better just by walking in the door. Dogs just want attention, affection, and a routine.

I couldn't imagine my life without a dog.

Ping G30 SFT (RIp Alpha)
Taylormade Jetspeed 3 Wood (RIP Alpha)
Taylormade SLDR 5 Wood (Kai'li)
Ping G25 (4-U) (Nippon 950gh)
Taylormade ATV 58*
Bettinardi Signature 6

[quote name='CSchnee' timestamp='1379903413' post='7895399']
Quite simply, getting a dog is like adding another member to your family. I've always had a dog since the time I was 5 years old. While there's responsibilities and things you have to do in taking care of them, they are far outweighed by the positives of having a dog. When you have a bad day, you can come home to a wagging tail and unconditional love. It's honestly the purest form of emotion that I can imagine. They're truly happy to see you and you to see them. Like others have said, there's lots of differences between breeds. Just do your research to find the right breed to for your lifestyle. I have a border collie/lab mix, and a griffon pointer/lab mix and I can honestly say I like them more than most people I've met. When you're ready to get one, I'd suggest looking on petfinder.com for a rescue. You can find most every breed, and there's the added bonus of giving a dog in need a good home. I understand some people's desire to get one from a breeder, but theres so many animals out there in need of a home. Good luck, I'm sure you'll find a furry friend that's perfect for you.
[/quote]

+1

Definitely look into getting a rescue dog. I have a full blooded Jack Russell Terrier that is 11 and he is still a bundle of energy. He is very smart and has never demolished anything. The only negative is his allergy shots. He developed allergies 2 years ago and I have to give him shots every week. They are expensive but worth every penny. My wife and I also got a rescue puppy about 9 months ago. He was supposed to be 20-25 lbs full grown according to the rescue. He is just over 9 months old and 75lbs now. HA! Even with him being much larger than we though he is another great addition to the family. As long as you can give them discipline and exercise they will be a good dog.

We have a sheltie (it's actually my wife's from before we met, he is 9 now). They are great dogs and very intelligent, but as with all the shepherd dogs they are very very active when they are young. There's really not much you can do about it....they will destroy things around your house, eat your shoes, DVD cases, basically anything that they can chew. Even if you take them out to run a few times a day (which you should, at least twice) they will still be a bit crazy the first few years.

My ex girlfriend bought a border collie and raised him from when he was only a few weeks old and they are similar to shelties. I was there for the first couple of years before we broke up, but yeah, we'd take him to the park twice a day and throw tennis balls the length of a soccer field and he'd just run and run and run. Sometimes you come home and find your DVD eaten. It's pretty cool to watch them at dog parks too because they kind of "officiate" everything being herders.

Good thing is they are very smart, so once they get a bit older and settle down a bit they are awesome, and really listen to you. Though they always want to play a bit. Our sheltie is 9 and still likes to fetch. Only he can't go for as long anymore.

Shepherd dogs in general are awesome dogs. I've been around them basically the last 6-7 years. (first the border collie and now a sheltie)

Plus, you could get lucky and get a pup that loves to sit and watch golf with you like mine.

IMG_3199.jpg

Well, one of them doesn't appear to be too interested in watching Dustin Johnson. :-)

Cons-

-You feel really guilty if you leave to play a round but haven't given them a walk yet.
-Limits your options to stay on road trips (and rent houses). Plus it's harder to plan road trips where stopping for a quick round is on the menu.
- Puppies destroy stuff and poop all over. Our roomates have a new puppy. We have it pretty much house trained, but it loves to poop on my indoor putting green. It also gets soooo excited that it pees itself when you come home/he first sees you.

Pros-
TOO MANY TO LIST

Fiance' and I have have 3 dogs and constantly fight the urge to add more. If you love dogs and can commit the time, absolutely do it.

Grew up with dogs. Got a dog in college, golden mix. She died at 14. Waited for about 8 months and got another dog, a Great Pyrenees who lived to 10.

Haven't had a dog for about 8 months, maybe even a year now. I love my dogs. I miss my dogs. I realize how much they contributed to my home.

I also don't feel bad going to kids weekend tournaments.
I don't feel bad about leaving for the MT travel sports day (10-15 hours with travel).
I haven't had to replace the furniture which would get chewed while at work.
I haven't had a 100 lb dog pick up a kid's hot dog off the plate their kid left on the ground, only to have the mother chastise me for its poor manners.
I haven't missed staying up at night wondering when their health required action (both died of cancer and old age).

We had it easy too. Or yard is huge, lots of wildlife came through for them to chase and rivers to swim in, and lots of field so I never picked up poop.

My wife and I aren't sure a dog fits in our life right now, and whether one ever will. So yes, they can be great, but they are a HUGE responsibility. Not something to go into lightly.

[quote name='MattTheTaff' timestamp='1380002543' post='7901967']
It's like looking after a two year old child.... For 14 years
[/quote]

haha true but it's illegal to put a 2 year old in a cage for 6 hours.

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

My wife and I have owned 3 dogs together. Our yorkie was the first to pass away. He died pretty young and we had him since he was a 10-week old puppy. We still have a frenchie and a s***-zu/poodle mix that we both rescued. We almost loss Charlie (the frenchie) 2 weeks ago due to complications from bladder stones and even before that he was on a restrictive diet due to food allergies. it's even worse now because the food we were giving him might have been the reason he developed bladder stones to begin with (along with his genetics).

Our family absolutely loves Charlie and he was worth every penny to give him a chance at having a longer life BUT the cost of ownership for him in particular was definitely not what I was expecting. Prior to his emergency surgery the vet tried to explain both sides of the outcome, The surgery could've had more complications and the quality of life would have suffered because of it so she mentioned without insisting it might be better due to cost as well as charlie's future health to put him down. Fortunately, they were able to save him for not much more than they originally quoted us (it was still expensive).

The wife and I were an emotional wreck for that whole 24-hour period and he's technically not out of the woods yet. he has a follow up in another couple weeks. I'm hoping our other dog ends up being relatively healthy but we're now looking at pet insurance for charlie and him just in case. I think i'm done with pets after these guys pass away (hopefully, many years from now). Owning a pet is a great and wonderful experience but it's not a decision you just want to jump into without looking at everything. It's a really big responsibility, almost as big as having a child of your own

I do love my new dog, but one thing to keep in mind is allergies...

I have NEVER had allergies to anything in my past 29 years, but I rescued a German Shepard about 6 weeks ago and my allergies have been killing me ever since. So thats just something to keep in mind. We had dogs growing up, but a 20lb weiner dog in a 3,500 sf house is a little different than a Shepard in a 1,800 house. With that said, she's an amazing dog and I'm looking into options on what to do with my allergies because I'm attached enough to her now I'd hate to have to find her a new home, but waking up with your eyes swelled shut is getting kind of old...

G430 LST 10.5* - G430 Max 15* - Cobra Baffler 17.5*- Sub 70 Pro 20* & 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58*  - F22

[quote name='J-Tizzle' timestamp='1380115370' post='7907975']

I have NEVER had allergies to anything in my past 29 years, but I rescued a German Shepard about 6 weeks ago and my allergies have been killing me ever since. So thats just something to keep in mind. We had dogs growing up, but a 20lb weiner dog in a 3,500 sf house is a little different than a Shepard in a 1,800 house. With that said, she's an amazing dog and I'm looking into options on what to do with my allergies because I'm attached enough to her now I'd hate to have to find her a new home, but waking up with your eyes swelled shut is getting kind of old...
[/quote]

Ah yes another reason why once my wife and had our first hypoallergenic dog, we decided we would never buy a shedding dog again. Its a world of difference.

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

[quote name='SilverBullets' timestamp='1380122758' post='7908523']
[quote name='J-Tizzle' timestamp='1380115370' post='7907975']

[/quote]

Ah yes another reason why once my wife and had our first hypoallergenic dog, we decided we would never buy a shedding dog again. Its a world of difference.
[/quote]

Yeah it was very surprising, I mean I've NEVER shown any big of an allergic reaction to a dog or any other type of animal. After I did some research I pretty much found that German Shepards are one of the like top 5 worst breeds for excessive dander due to dry skin akin to the breed. But if someone is considering dogs its something to keep in mind.

G430 LST 10.5* - G430 Max 15* - Cobra Baffler 17.5*- Sub 70 Pro 20* & 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58*  - F22

I have always had a dog, and for me there are only positives. I'm one of those who doesn't understand or quite trust people who don't like dogs. I fully recommend experiencing the ancient and deep-rooted connection we have with dogs. But please, take the time to train, disipline, and interact with your dog. Well trained dogs are much happier than ill-trained dogs. Good luck, and enjoy!

Dogs are more than man's best friend: They may be partners in humans' evolutionary journey, according to a new studyicon1.png.

The study shows that dogs split from gray wolves about 32,000 years ago, and that since then, domestic dogs' brains and digestive organs have evolved in ways very similar to the brains and organs of humans.

The findings suggest a more ancient origin for dog domestication than previously suggested. They also hint that a common environment drove both dog and human evolution for thousands of years.

"As domestication is often associated with large increases in population density and crowded living conditions, these 'unfavorable' environments might be the selective pressure that drove the rewiring of both species," the researchers wrote in their article, published today (May 14) in the journal Nature Communications.

First domestication

It isn't clear precisely when wolves were tamed and transformed into man's best friend, and the date has been hotly debated. An ancient, doglike skull uncovered in the Siberian Mountains suggested that the first dogs were domesticated around 33,000 years ago from gray wolves. But genetic analysis suggested dogs in China were domesticated only about 16,000 years ago.

In any case, most researchers agree that by about 10,000 years ago, dogs were firmly ensconced in human society. [10 Breeds: What Your Dog Says About You]

Some studiesicon1.png show that the wild dogs of South China may have been the first domesticated canines.

To understand this domestication, Guo-dong Wang, a genetics researcher at the Chinese Academyicon1.png of Sciences, and his colleagues analyzed the DNA of four gray wolves, three indigenous Chinese dogs and a German shepherd, a Belgian Malinois and a Tibetan mastiff.

The DNA suggests that the gray wolves split off from the indigenous dogs about 32,000 years ago, the researchers said.

"Chinese indigenous dogs might represent the missing link in dog domestication," the researchers write in the paper.

Since then, dogs' evolution has been gradual, and there were no sharp decreases in the dog population over time, suggesting dogs gradually became domesticated, after many years of scavenging from humans.

Parallel evolution

The team then compared corresponding genes in dogs and humans. They found both species underwent similar changes in genes responsible for digestion and metabolism, such as genes that code for cholesterol transport. Those changes could be due to a dramatic change in the proportion of animal versus plant-based foods that occurred in both at around the same time, the researchers said.

The team also found co-evolution in several brain processes — for instance, in genes that affect the processing of the brain chemical serotonin. In humans, variations in these genes affect levels of aggression. (This shared genetic trajectory might explain why Fluffy can be helped by antidepressant drugs, the authors hypothesize.)

All the obvious concerns have been stated.

When my wife and I were dating she begged me to get her a dog and eventually I caved and we got a chihuahua just several weeks old and quite honestly we were not prepared and didn't realize how hard that particular breed is to train. We ended up only keeping her for a couple months and eventually gave her away. I swore I would never have another dog again.

Couple years ago after we got married she beat me into submission again and we got a shitzu, only difference is that this dog was about a year and half old and already trained. I spoil the little guy more than my wife and don't know what I'd do without the little guy.

Good point asab.

It is a lot easier to get a dog that's past the puppy stages of things that's for sure. My Shepard is about 2 years old and fully trained and house broken so it's more just getting into the habit of picking up the yard and waking up 30 minutes earlier to walk her before I'm gone for the day. If the weather is bad I put her in her crate with no problems. But with a puppy you'd have to go home every 3-4 hours and let it out until I gets the hang of holding it until you're home. With that said you do miss out on all the adorable puppy stuff.

[quote name='J-Tizzle' timestamp='1380148923' post='7910741']
Good point asab.

It is a lot easier to get a dog that's past the puppy stages of things that's for sure. My Shepard is about 2 years old and fully trained and house broken so it's more just getting into the habit of picking up the yard and waking up 30 minutes earlier to walk her before I'm gone for the day. If the weather is bad I put her in her crate with no problems. But with a puppy you'd have to go home every 3-4 hours and let it out until I gets the hang of holding it until you're home. With that said you do miss out on all the adorable puppy stuff.
[/quote]Puppies are loads of fun, & work too, but they are sooooo cute, but the puppy stage just doesn't last long enough. However, you can't beat getting an adult dog & avoiding all the puppy stages, messes & lack of sleep. Oh, & BTW, it's German "Shepherd" (I owned, trained, showed & bred them for many years....they are wonderful dogs as long as they know you are the pack leader, & yes, they shed like crazy).

• 2 weeks later...

So many great breeds to choose from. Mutts can also be great. Little (chihuahua, toy poodle, small beagle, Jack Russell, etc), medium (lab, golden retriever, larger beagle, etc) or large (mastiff, great dane, etc)?

Agree with trying to find a rescue dog, there are many great ones that need good homes.

I prefer medium to larger dogs.

To put it simply, the greatest plus is when you have a dog you can always anticipate on them being happy when you get home.

I've met my best friends at the dog park. Some people say they have a hard time going on vacation or out of town. WIth my group at the park that is never an issue. Someone is always willing to watch my dog, and I am always willing to help someone else out.

I can say with 100% conviction that my life is better with my dog.

2334607186_c0940a4747_b.jpg

TM SLDR 460 set to 10.5° 70g Aldila VS Proto 44"
TM RBZ Stage 2 Tour 14.5° & 19°
Maltby KE4 Tour 22° Hybrid
PING G25 4-UW CFS
Maltby M-Series+ 54° and sometimes 58°
Odyssey White Ice #7 37" counter balanced and a SpryEvo TeCu insert
WS FG Tour(2014) or ProV1x

This dog spent 6 months pooping all over my house.

She ate my $300 titanium eye glasses.

She cost me $1100 when she suffered through Parvo when she was maybe 4 months old.

Brings dead animals to the door for me.

Leaves hair all over the house.

Eats my food when Im not looking

Wont let me sleep past 7am on the weekends.

Takes my favorite spot on the couch.

and leaves drool all over the kitchen floor from her water dish.

Even then Id never give her up. Such an amazing addition to my life.

Doubt ruins more dreams than failure
ever will - someone on the internet

Sam walks into the room just as I'm about to head out for errands.

"Sam, in your crate."

He stops. Sits down, looks at me.

"Sam, crate."

Turns around and into the room with the crate and I hear his all-too-familiar 'grunt' when he lays down.

I get up, head to the room, and see...

sam_neo1.jpg

Understand that when I saw this, I just turned around, walked back to the office, unplugged my phone, swiped to start, waited a few seconds for the screen to load, opened the camera app, still waiting... they just stayed there. Cat saying, "I was here 1st!" Dog saying "Just doing what I was told!"

--kC

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*