highest spin wedge

shortstack31489

[quote name='shortstack31489' timestamp='1379722978' post='7886415']
I am not opposed to older non conforming wedges. Any other suggestions?
[/quote]

If you want something with the older/sharper grooves, you can pick up Yururi Gekku Raw wedges through FairwayGolfUSA.com for like 120.00 bucks. Japanese forged with enough spin to give you vertigo. On par with the old Callaway MD grooves.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='kjbowen' timestamp='1379780923' post='7889025']
58* spinning more then a 60* just doesn't make sense to me.
I have watched many many videos, read magazines etc and I have never heard this logic
[/quote]

Sorry, but then read again. It's plain simple. Or hit wedges yourself in a Trackman. 60° will spin less than a 58°. I can link you a video later if you want.

Proud member of Method EU * 421 ilvl Rogue (Outlaw/Assa) * 419 ilvl Demon Hunter (Havoc) * 418 ilvl Hunter (BM)

[quote name='cp1337' timestamp='1379770321' post='7888341']
If you get that groove fixer tool you will get spin. I know your wedges will be illegal, but you can spin the ball like a mad man :D
[/quote]I have one.....sharpened a wedge and ripped cover of pinnacle....thats how good they work...I wouldnt even touch a prov1 with it for awhile...I since gotten knack for it...really good tool to have

[quote name='MadGolfer76' timestamp='1379792244' post='7889751']
[/quote]

If you want something with the older/sharper grooves, you can pick up Yururi Gekku Raw wedges through FairwayGolfUSA.com for like 120.00 bucks. Japanese forged with enough spin to give you vertigo. On par with the old Callaway MD grooves.
[/quote]I want a yururi...have for awhile now..gonna check that out..

lot positive reviews on those. ...

[quote name='dunn' timestamp='1379911459' post='7895901']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Yururi are great. I didn't think they spun as much as the callys with MD grooves. The MDs were shredding machines. I needed the extra bounce provided by the Callys. The yururis (raw tour) have fairly low bounce.

Callaway Rogue ST Max - Tensei AV White - 8*
Taylormade M3 HL - MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP - 4-G - Recoil 95 S - 2* upright

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

Odyssey OWorks 2ball  -  34" - 1* loft - 71* lie
Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*

WITB Link

[quote name='dunn' timestamp='1379911321' post='7895895']
If you get that groove fixer tool you will get spin. I know your wedges will be illegal, but you can spin the ball like a mad man :D
[/quote]I have one.....sharpened a wedge and ripped cover of pinnacle....thats how good they work...I wouldnt even touch a prov1 with it for awhile...I since gotten knack for it...really good tool to have
[/quote]

Which grove tool did you use ? I have had good success heating the wedge head then going over the grooves with a small flat head screw driver. But a quality tool would be a nice replacment.

AB TP 10.5*/ DI6X
AB TP 3HL / 757
XTD 19*/ Fubuki Ax
DWS 24*/ VS Proto
J15 CB 5-PW/ Modus 3 125S
X-Forged MD (50*, 56* 60*)
Spider Si/ SS Mid SLim 2.0

[quote name='jonn443' timestamp='1379938990' post='7896397']
[quote name='dunn' timestamp='1379911321' post='7895895']
[/quote]

Which grove tool did you use ? I have had good success heating the wedge head then going over the grooves with a small flat head screw driver. But a quality tool would be a nice replacment.
[/quote]I have screwdriver one with star head....has 6 tips...3 are v and 3 are square..sure they all work good....

I use a vice and some synthetic oil...let it sit on face for 20 min, then start cutting, have a good feel now and can just freshen em up or make any wedge embarass a cally MD!....

then take 600 grit sandpaper with synthetic oil to kind of de burr the edges on face.....just to kill edge a bit

[quote name='blink3665' timestamp='1379912508' post='7895941']
[quote name='dunn' timestamp='1379911459' post='7895901']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Yururi are great. I didn't think they spun as much as the callys with MD grooves. The MDs were shredding machines. I needed the extra bounce provided by the Callys. The yururis (raw tour) have fairly low bounce.
[/quote]

You can add bounce by having them bent. Forged wedge...

Titleist ProV1x

[quote name='shortstack31489' timestamp='1379698158' post='7883935']
title says it all! I have looked at all the current options in store but do not have the option to hit any. And does the face laser milling actually a benefit or is that snake oil? thanks
[/quote]

Any wedge with a circular milled face is going to spin the ball more than any wedge with no milling on the face and any wedge with only laser etched lines between the regular scorelines regardless of the name or model on the head. Laser eteched lines cannot achieve the surface roughness that a circular milling of the face can achieve. Any wedge that has no milling but spins the ball as much as a circular milled face is an aberration of production that left the top edges of the scorelines sharper than what was the spec for the lines.

TOM

[quote name='Fore(ged)' timestamp='1380145942' post='7910503']
So Ping's gorge grooves are an aberration of production or is there something else going on with them?
[/quote]

There is only one factor in the design of the face of a wedge that can bring about more spin - creating more FRICTION between the ball and the face. The more friction between the face and ball, the more the spin is enhanced. There are only three ways you can design more friction into the impact between the face and the ball.

1. Aggressive milling of the face surface is number one. Circular milling always ends up being more aggressive than any other type of milling like laser etching so it offers the most increase in friction at impact. Even though there is a USGA limit for how aggressive face milling can be, it still stands as number one for increasing friction at impact because milling covers the flat areas between the scorelines, and these flat areas represent far more surface area on the face. So more surface area covered by more aggressive milling means more friction between the face and the ball for more spin.

2. A rougher face blasting treatment is number two. Most wedges and irons today are finished with the face blasted with silicon glass beads. Si bead blasting does not leave the face very rough because the Si beads are just not that aggressive in their ability to add roughness to the face. But if the face is blasted with a more aggressive media such as aluminum oxide, this leaves the face a lot more rough on the flat areas between the grooves so that friction between the ball and face is increased.

3. A sharper top edge of the scorelines that come in contact with the surface of the ball at impact is number three. Problem is, there is a very specific USGA specification for the radius of the edges of scorelines which is LESS SHARP under the new 2010 groove rule than it used to be under the pre-2010 groove rule guidelines. So, no matter what a company says or does to create a "new groove" configuration, its edges cannot be sharper than what the stringent 2010 rule says. However, the 2010 groove radius specifications are incredibly difficult for any clubhead production factory to manufacture with consistency, head after head after head. There is absolutely no question that if you measured the top edge radius of the grooves on 1000 heads coming off the production line even in a good clubhead production factory, a significant number of the heads would very definitely have groove edges which do not conform to this new 2010 guideline for top edge radius. Especially if the head is cast. As such it is possible that two golfers can buy the same wedge and one wedge just happens to have a little sharper line edges than the other, which could show up as a little more spin.

TOM

[quote name='Fore(ged)' timestamp='1380145942' post='7910503']
So Ping's gorge grooves are an aberration of production or is there something else going on with them?
[/quote]

Um, Ping wedges (going back to Tour-W and forward) have a milled face like Tom is suggesting. The milling adds surface roughness, which adds spin. If you look closely at the face you can see the tooling marks.

As a side remark, Tom's PFC Micro Tour wedges have the deepest milling marks I've ever seen. Deep to the point that I hope his foundry is properly monitoring Ra. Would hate to read in the scandal papers about these being "illegal" (which would probably increase sales if the people around here are any gauge);)

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

I have a hakusa tooled by Carl design and it destroys everything from the nicest of Pro Vs to the crummiest of range balls. Every shot I am picking out pieces of plastic. why would I keep such a club in the bag you ask? Well one, its a 52* so any time I need to make the ball stop within 125 yards I use it and TWO i enjoy showing people how easy it is to pull the string when messing around at the range.

All wedges create spin; if for no other reason than loft. More loft more spin. Its been my experience, if wedges meet up to USGA standards, spin results will be rather similar across the board. If standards are not of concern, wedges with huge square grooves help with spin. But for more spin with USGA qualified wedges, ability to zip it back or spin control, people need to learn how to impact the ball, and that can be done with just about any wedge. Proving that point, before changing recently, and for over twelve years, I was using the same old forged wedges with "V" grooves, and they still got the job done. Pick wedges based upon loft needs, and then feel and sound, and how they look to your eye... its not rocket science.

• TSR2 10° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Talamonti PD80R
  • T200 17' 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 95S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

I got some Yururi Raw Gekku wedges that have nonconforming grooves. It was a fascinating change. I had to start flying the ball to the hole or every shot came up short. I got the hang of it after a while. My playing partners were pissed when I started landing balls by the flag and having them stop on a dime out of the rough. There were grumblings about me being a cheater due to my nonconforming grooves. They make a tour version that is conforming, but not in left-handed. This is a very reasonably priced wedge and it is beautiful as well.

LEFT HANDED

Titleist TSR3 with Metaflex 5H shaft (currently testing the Proxima 6 stiff shaft)
Titleist TSR2 16.5 degree fwy with Ventus Red 7 stiff shaft
Ping G430 19 and 22 degree hybrids with Ventus Blue HB 8 stiff shaft
Srixon ZX7 mkii 5-PW with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts

Titleist SM9 50F, 54D, 58T wedge with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts
L.A.B. MEZZ Max putter with LAGP putter shaft

[quote name='Pepperturbo' timestamp='1380216475' post='7914737']
All wedges create spin; if for no other reason than loft. More loft more spin.
[/quote]

Please, my response post to your comment above is ONLY done to let everyone become aware of a really fascinating point about loft and backspin. Your comment only made me think about this so I simply wanted to share the point that most golfers are not aware of.

Based on "normal" angle of attack by the golfer, up to a loft of 59*, spin does increase with each increase in loft. But at 59* and higher, spin DECREASES because this is the point at which the "tilt" of the face becomes so great that the friction between the face and ball is decreased. Impact becomes much more of a sliding event than a friction event at lofts of 59* and more because the force vector of the ball into the face is deflected more up the face than into the face to thus reduce friction at impact.

Of course if we're talking about a golfer with a -5*, -6*, -7* or more DOWNWARD angle of attack, such an A of A will deloft the head at impact to the point that this threshold for loft increase vs spin increase keeps going beyond a static loft of 59*. So that has to be clarified.

The reason most players with the ability to hit a 60* or higher loft wedge to see the ball stop sooner than it does with a 56* wedge with more backspin comes from the fact that the angle of descent of the 60* and higher loft wedge is more steep, thus reducing the roll of the ball after landing - not from the 60* or higher loft wedge spinning the ball more, which it does not.

TOM

[quote name='Fore(ged)' timestamp='1380219162' post='7915001']
How do Yururi Raw Gekku wedges get so much spin?
[/quote]

Well, the grooves are non-conforming.

Titleist ProV1x

[quote name='MadGolfer76' timestamp='1380219748' post='7915047']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Oh. Didn't know.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (DI-95X, PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 50*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Non-conforming: New non-conforming wedges with descending AoA and crisp contact

Conforming: New conforming wedges with descending AoA and crisp contact

I just don't see much difference between new wedges of same era of grooves. Non-conforming cally mack daddys, cleveland zip grooves, titleist spin milleds, mizuno quad cuts, etc all spun like heck and the conforming versions of them all still spin like heck, albeit a little less on partial, deadhanded shots and less yet with same shots out of roungh.

[b]Ping G410 Plus[/b] 12* Fujikura Motore X F3 5S
[b]Titleist TS2[/b] 3HL 16.5* Paderson Kinetix Launch 65S
[b]Taylormade SIM2 Max[/b] 7W 21* Paderson Kinetix Launch 65S
[b]Callaway Rogue[/b] 21* 4h Mitsubishi C6 80S
[b]Rogue Pro[/b] 5-P Nippon Modus 120S
[b]Callaway Mack Daddy CB[/b] 50* Nippon Modus 120S
[b]Titleist SM8[/b] 54 (bent to 56*) D Grind Nippon Modus 125 Wedge
[b]Titleist SM8[/b] 58 (bent to 60*) K Grind (Low Bounce) Nippon Modus 125 Wedge
[b]Fastback 2[/b] 34'' Stability Tour Black Shaft, SuperStroke GTR 1.0

[quote name='Fore(ged)' timestamp='1380220884' post='7915167']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Oh. Didn't know.
[/quote]

In light of Tom's post, I had to stop and think! So, it was more of me trying to verbalize an answer...online.

Titleist ProV1x

[quote name='MadGolfer76' timestamp='1380236528' post='7916413']
[quote name='Fore(ged)' timestamp='1380220884' post='7915167']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Oh. Didn't know.
[/quote]

In light of Tom's post, I had to stop and think! So, it was more of me trying to verbalize an answer...online.
[/quote]

But you were right saying non-conforming grooves. I took Tom's post to address a slightly different subject; 60*+ spin or lack thereof. :)

• TSR2 10° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Talamonti PD80R
  • T200 17' 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 95S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x