2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Random conversation thread

Since all our threads in this forum end up devolving into a discussion of everything other than the golf-related subject that started the thread, I am making the assumption we are merely a group of gentlemen that enjoys conversation. As we know, in today's hurry-up, me, me, me world, true conversation (much like contemplation) is a dying art.

I think our conversations meander off like this mainly because we hold a traditional world-view, something that does not mesh very well with the reality of what passes for conversation today. I personally find it challenging finding individuals who like to discuss "weighty" matters, and believe we have a nice haven for this in our "Classic Golf and Golfers" section.

Oddly enough, even through a few months interaction on a web board, I find I feel like I know a number of members on here better than people who I've known in person for a number of years, all of whom refuse to interact on a more than surface level.

So, I thought we could have fun with a "random conversation thread" - much like a group of friends standing around in the clubhouse who are enjoying a scotch, and allowing their conversation to meander across any subject that comes up. And like the conversation in the clubhouse, people will stop in, people will have to leave, and the subject may change as quickly as the day, hour, or minute.

So who'd like to have an old fashioned conversation? And who'd like to suggest a conversation starter?

D -  TM Stealth+ Kuro Kage 5th Gen 60g S

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

4-PW W/S D7 Forged KBS $ Taper Lite S
48* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

54* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

60* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

Putter - 22 TM Spider X Short Slant Hydroblast

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

[quote name='ScooterMcTavish' timestamp='1380301656' post='7919951']
Since all our threads in this forum end up devolving into a discussion of everything other than the golf-related subject that started the thread, I am making the assumption we are merely a group of gentlemen that enjoys conversation. As we know, in today's hurry-up, me, me, me world, true conversation (much like contemplation) is a dying art.

I think our conversations meander off like this mainly because we hold a traditional world-view, something that does not mesh very well with the reality of what passes for conversation today. I personally find it challenging finding individuals who like to discuss "weighty" matters, and believe we have a nice haven for this in our "Classic Golf and Golfers" section.

Oddly enough, even through a few months interaction on a web board, I find I feel like I know a number of members on here better than people who I've known in person for a number of years, all of whom refuse to interact on a more than surface level.

So, I thought we could have fun with a "random conversation thread" - much like a group of friends standing around in the clubhouse who are enjoying a scotch, and allowing their conversation to meander across any subject that comes up. And like the conversation in the clubhouse, people will stop in, people will have to leave, and the subject may change as quickly as the day, hour, or minute.

So who'd like to have an old fashioned conversation? And who'd like to suggest a conversation starter?
[/quote]
Scooter. here is a conversation overheard in a country club lounge:

Two gentlemen of advanced middle age had just finished a round of golf with their hickories.
They sat down at the bar and began to ponder the changes in the golf world, which led to the changes to the world, in general.
One of them said, "everyone is so promiscuous any more. Back in our day..... I never had sex with my wife until after we were married. How about you?" The other chap took a pull on his Glenlivit and said, "I don't know. What was her maiden name."

Good idea, but what if someone goes off topic here and starts talking Golf.. :)

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

Bob, only the best jokes can make you groan and laugh at the same time.

So there are three men on a tee, Moses, Jesus, and an old man. Jesus says, "Moses, age before beauty. You're up"

So Moses takes a mighty swing, and pures a beautiful shot to within 2' of the cup.

Jesus says, "Wow, what a great shot.", then steps up to the tee. He hits an even sweeter shot that stops dead on the green, 2" from the hole. Moses pats him on the shoulder and says "Nice shot kid".

Then the old man steps on to the tee, and hits a horrible shank that flies into trees on the right side of the fairway. Both Jesus and Moses shake their heads.

As they're putting their clubs away, they notice a rustling over by where the old man's ball went into the woods. And sure enough, out pops a squirrel, running across the fairway with the old man's ball in his mouth. Just as the squirrel is about to reach the safety of the bushes on the other side of the fairway, a hawk swoops down, and grabs the squirrel in his talons. As the hawk begins to fly away, a lightning bolt shoots down from the clear blue sky, hits the hawk, who drops the squirrel on the green. The ball pops out of the squirrel's mouth, and rolls into the hole.

The old man announces, "One!"

Jesus looks over at the old man, shakes his head a little, and says, "Nice shot, Dad."

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

Well this thread is just simply not taking off.

How 'bout them Packers. Big week coming up.

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

A man told his wife he was going to play a quick 18 and would be home early. After the round, he stopped by a local bar for a beer, where he met a willing young woman. After a couple of beers, relaxed by the golf and alcohol, the man gave in to temptation and slept with the woman.

Driving home late, he was overcome with guilt. Upon arriving, his wife met him at the door, angry at his late return, and demanding an explanation. He confessed to his wife, "I am sorry. I had a couple of beers, met a young woman and slept with her."

His very angry wife said, "You lying snake--you played 36 holes, didn't you!"

Drivers: Titleist 915D2 9.5* Aldila Rogue 60-3.8-S
Titleist TS2 Tensei AV55 S flex
Fairway: Callaway Rogue 15* Proj X Evenflow Blue 6.0
Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21*
Irons: Titleist 718AP1 5-GW2
Wedges: Vokey SM6 , 56-10S, 60-08M
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 35"
Ball: Titleist AVX

Ok, I'll give another shot.

Anyone a fan of The Blacklist...I just watched the first episode over the weekend. Gotta say I like it a lot. And I have a new crush..Megan Boone!! :swoon:

Wow...can you say sweetheart...I was not familar with her work before this show.

Vokey

[quote name='Carolina Golfer 2' timestamp='1380576176' post='7933707']

Anyone a fan of The Blacklist...I just watched the first episode over the weekend. Gotta say I like it a lot. And I have a new crush..Megan Boone!! :swoon:

Wow...can you say sweetheart...I was not familar with her work before this show.
[/quote]
I think it will be a great series. You heard it here first...he will turn out to be her father.

[quote name='Ironmaster Oddities' timestamp='1380584536' post='7934325']
[quote name='Carolina Golfer 2' timestamp='1380576176' post='7933707']

[/quote]
I think it will be a great series. You heard it here first...he will turn out to be her father.
[/quote]
Same here. Although I heard that same prediction earlier many times on another forum. I felt like and idiot for not seeing that possibility.

Vokey

THE HOLLOW CROWN on PBS, putting Henry IV, part I and II and Henry V together as a sort of a mini-series. Jeremy Irons is the headliner, but there are wonderful performances all around. Very accessible Shakespeare, it's not a bunch of actors intoning on a faux castle like set. It's shot like a feature, and the dialogue, despite being in iambic pentameter, sounds like simple conversation.

I've spent 30 years in the theatre and this is really good.

Driver 10.5 Taylor Made Burner 2.0
Ping 3 and 7 woods
Component 5 and 6 hybrids
and 8 and 9 irons (SGI)

Scratch 47 degree PW

Alpha SW

All graphite shafts
Putter: uh, I have a few

I had wondered if that might be a storyline for "Blacklist"--turning out to be her father. I guess I will have to watch NCIS tonight since it is Ziva's last show. I like the rest of the cast, but it won't be the same.

I am starting Foyle's War and Midsommer Murders on Netflix. I just completed Monarch of the Glen.

Drivers: Titleist 915D2 9.5* Aldila Rogue 60-3.8-S
Titleist TS2 Tensei AV55 S flex
Fairway: Callaway Rogue 15* Proj X Evenflow Blue 6.0
Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21*
Irons: Titleist 718AP1 5-GW2
Wedges: Vokey SM6 , 56-10S, 60-08M
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 35"
Ball: Titleist AVX

Have a guy in my league that's been married for over 30 years to a b**** of a lady. She doesn't like him hanging out after league play (she has a league on the same night, same course); she doesn't like him smoking cigars, drinking...blah blah blah. His best man always bust his balls by telling him 'If you killed her, you would have been out of prison by now'. He agrees.

LOL

[quote name='oldschoolrocker' timestamp='1380667141' post='7939549']
I have started following the BBC America series "Copper" looks like a spin on the "Gangs of New York" movie.
[/quote]
Sounds interesting. I may have to put on the DVR and check it out

Vokey

Kdad,,
I love iambic pentameter.
"A mighty ship have I set free this night,
To sail at dawn against her Master's will.

Soft brass...."

But, dialogue for a series...

GO, thought for a moment you were talking about my wife, but she is only a member of the Home Shopping League.

J/K

Skip,
Sounds like some good opportunities for the Roughriders to act as pitchmen for chaps or condoms.

[quote name='oldschoolrocker' timestamp='1380706284' post='7941373']
Carolina,
I may have asked you before. North, or South?
It is interesting to see the BBC spin on that locale and time period with respect to Tammany Hall.
[/quote]
Both...I've lived in Columbia,SC, Chapel Hill and Cary, NC. And Pinehurst is where I hope to hang my hat for good one day, although I've now lived in the Maryland/DC area for 21 years.

Vokey

Hey Skip, growing up I wanted to be a Blue Bomber. Things have been a little lean the last few decades though.

BTW, Bomber fans really don't like Roughrider fans.

Somewhat disarming to see someone in So. Cal even know what the CFL is!

Funny, when growing up, the CFL had 9 teams for the longest time. One was the Saskatchewan Roughriders, while another was the Ottawa Roughriders. Think South Park made fun of this on the Terrence and Philip episode.

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

I LOVE the CFL!!! Remember when the CFL expanded into the States? I went to as many Sacramento Goldminers football games I could. I saw Doug Flutie play for the Stampeders.
I know about Edmonton Eskimos being the kings of CFL. 18 Cups right?
My favorite Bluebomber was Tom Clements. A Sacramento boy quarterbacked the Bombers to the Cup a few years ago.....Ricky Ray.
I didn't know about Bombers fans hating Riders fans.

Tommy Clements (former Notre Dame QB) was the Bombers QB when they won their first Grey Cup in 17 years in 1984 (and the first one of my life). Been a drought since 1990, which makes the previous drought look small.

Tommy was the QB coach with the Packers, and was since promoted to their OC. The coach of the Bombers at the time was Cal Murphy, who was doing scouting for the Pack until he passed away last year. Mike Riley was the coach of the Bombers for Grey Cup wins in 1988 and 1990, and he went to the Chargers, then went to Oregon State (where he still is) after being fired.

Jon Ryan, a former punter for the Bombers played for Green Bay, was released, and has had a great run with Seattle.

Back in the 70's and 80's the Eskimos were the team to beat. They had a great QB named Tom Wilkinson, who was replaced by a guy you may know...

Warren Moon. One of the few players in both the CFL and NFL Hall of Fame.

Guess you guys who went to Gold Miners games were on a first name basis with each other. I remember watching the first game from Las Vegas where the lounge singer mangled the Canadian national anthem.

Too bad that the game never really took off. There were some good US players who went to US teams in the CFL like Matt Dunigan and Damon Allen (Marcus' brother). Damon retired as the CFL's all-time leading passer. Apparently the game did well in Shreveport, Memphis, and Birmingham, but tanked as soon as the US College season started. And we know Baltimore had the only non-Canadian CFL championship team. They used to put over 40K in the seats on a weekly basis as a middle finger to the NFL, and some fans still come to the Grey Cup every year.

Typical CFL attendance is in the high 20's lows 30's except for playoff games in bigger stadiums like BC Place and Commonwealth Stadium in Edmonton.

Unfortunately Ricky Ray played for (if memory serves correct) Edmonton, Toronto, and BC. Never for the Bombers. If he had, we wouldn't be 22 (and looking like 23) years without a Grey Cup.

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

When I was much younger(don't remember exactly when, maybe high school in the 70's) CFL games were on American TV occasionally, ABC Wide World of Sports possibly? Anyway, I remember thinking: why are all those guys running around before the snap, and why aren't they getting penalized for it?

Driver 10.5 Taylor Made Burner 2.0
Ping 3 and 7 woods
Component 5 and 6 hybrids
and 8 and 9 irons (SGI)

Scratch 47 degree PW

Alpha SW

All graphite shafts
Putter: uh, I have a few

More TV: Big Bang Theory fans...tonight's episode was hilarious. I don't want to spoil it for any DVR guys. But the Howard and Amy pairing was good stuff.

Sheldon as always is clueless. Ha

Vokey

[quote name='ScooterMcTavish' timestamp='1380317616' post='7921241']
Bob, only the best jokes can make you groan and laugh at the same time.

So there are three men on a tee, Moses, Jesus, and an old man. Jesus says, "Moses, age before beauty. You're up"

So Moses takes a mighty swing, and pures a beautiful shot to within 2' of the cup.

Jesus says, "Wow, what a great shot.", then steps up to the tee. He hits an even sweeter shot that stops dead on the green, 2" from the hole. Moses pats him on the shoulder and says "Nice shot kid".

Then the old man steps on to the tee, and hits a horrible shank that flies into trees on the right side of the fairway. Both Jesus and Moses shake their heads.

As they're putting their clubs away, they notice a rustling over by where the old man's ball went into the woods. And sure enough, out pops a squirrel, running across the fairway with the old man's ball in his mouth. Just as the squirrel is about to reach the safety of the bushes on the other side of the fairway, a hawk swoops down, and grabs the squirrel in his talons. As the hawk begins to fly away, a lightning bolt shoots down from the clear blue sky, hits the hawk, who drops the squirrel on the green. The ball pops out of the squirrel's mouth, and rolls into the hole.

The old man announces, "One!"

Jesus looks over at the old man, shakes his head a little, and says, "Nice shot, Dad."
[/quote]

The version of this I heard, Moses dunks his tee shot in the lake at the front of the green, then parts the water, walks up to the ball and chips it to a foot for a tap in par.

[i]"Don't play too much golf ... two rounds a day are plenty" [/i]

[b]Harry Vardon[/b] (1870-1937)

Damon Allen was amazing! I think he was better than Marcus. Damon started playing when I was in Jr High school, and retired a few years ago! I believe it was a 22 or 23 years career he had. The George Blanda of the CFL!
Yes, attendance wasn't very strong in Sacramento. The mayor at the time compared it to minor league football. I hated him from that moment on and I didn't shed a tear when he died.
I'm thinking of another QB who played for the Bombers who's from Sacramento.....Ryan Dinwiddie. Sorry for the confusion.
Hey, a CFL post cannot not happen without mentioning Ron Lancaster.