Help with too much spin from 3 wood

GreenSlayer6

Ok, so I've come to the conclusion that the courses I usually play don't really require me to carry a driver in my bag. So I've been looking to purchase a new 3 wood. But it seems every off the shelf club I try robs my distance via backspin. I understand the easiest way to resolve too much backspin is to get a shaft to fit to my swing, but at the moment I can't afford that. So I'm hoping someone has ideas as to what club or shaft offering to go with. My avg SS with 3 wood is 100ish, with avg backspin at 4300+ and that results are 230-240 avg. carry. I mainly play a straight to a baby cut but I know a 5 yard fade isn't going to result in 20-30 yards lost. I've tried a friends Xhot 3 deep and another 13* and with that I'm carrying 270+ with avg backspin 29-3000, so thats kind of the leader in the clubhouse for now. I've hit the RBZ and Stage 2, Xhot, Mashie, Covert and those are the clubs that produce the most backspin. I love the feel of both RBZ's and Xhot but the backspin rates are just killing me. I have a slight downward angle of attack for the 3 woods, that definitely contributes. I'm thinking a stiffer tipped shaft with a mid/high launch would maximize distance. So if anyone has club or shaft rec's that are lower spinning heads/shafts, or maybe some sort of drill to get away from a downward AoA, it would be GREATLY appreciated. I scored my lowest round of the year (73) and I'm hoping once I get my fairway finder dialed in, we can shave a few more strokes off. Thanks again everyone.

TM SIM2 MAX 9* - TP Motore S

TM SIM2 TI 3W - HZRDUS BLACK 6.5

TM RBZ 5W - Diamana BB 
TM RBZ Tour 4H 21* - Aldila RIP X
Srixon ZX7 5-PW Nippon 120T Stiff
Cleveland RTX ZipCore Tour Rack 50* 

Titleist Vokey SM7 S Grind 55* 

Cleveland RTX ZipCore Tour Rack 60* 
Odyssey TT #10
Srixon Z Star

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe one of the no charge options on the razor fit extreme fairway is a matrix black tie. A 910 or 913 with the ahina would probably be a nice fit too. You could probably find either on the bst or eBay without much trouble at all.

We have similar swing speed, and I jumped up to the 6.5 in my 3deep and it really helped cut some spin.

I'm sure there are more knowledgeable opinions, but I think the slight downward aoa is a good thing.

Rodge, I have not hit an Exotics recently. I'm in Mississippi and the availbility of the Exotics is at a minimum, at least in my surrounding areas. So I will definitely keep my eyes peeled for one because I've read nothing but good things about them. What is your experience with them, spin wise?

GMT, thanks for the rec's. I've hit the RFE and really liked the feel and that was with the garbage trinity shaft that comes stock. I just wish there was a larger variety of deep faced 3 woods with high COR. WIth your 3deep, how well does it perform off the deck? I noticed it has a slightly more rounded bottom compared to the standard Xhot. Thats really the main thing thats kept me from getting one. My buddy is out of the country so I havent been able to borrow his since June. Can you remember your spin rates from before and after switching to the 6.5?

I appreciate both of your opinions.

TM SIM2 MAX 9* - TP Motore S

TM SIM2 TI 3W - HZRDUS BLACK 6.5

TM RBZ 5W - Diamana BB 
TM RBZ Tour 4H 21* - Aldila RIP X
Srixon ZX7 5-PW Nippon 120T Stiff
Cleveland RTX ZipCore Tour Rack 50* 

Titleist Vokey SM7 S Grind 55* 

Cleveland RTX ZipCore Tour Rack 60* 
Odyssey TT #10
Srixon Z Star

The 3deep is great off the deck, only discernible difference is a bit lower ball flight (which I like). Unless I'm trying to hit it high or really move it side to side I play it off the deck from the tee.

I don't recall spin numbers..... Sorry. But it was noticeable when I hit them side by side. The 6.0 was much higher, and I really didn't have to work to load the 6.5. Just felt better

The RBZ Tour with a suitable shaft is very low spinning. Much of the drama some have off the deck is as much due to the low spin and launch as the sole imo. A minority can hit the 3Deep off the deck, if you are one of these it might end up the best.

G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Ping G425 19* hybrid Accra TZ6
Tour Edge XCG 24* hybrid Altus
Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
Ping Stealth 2.0 50*SS, S159 54/58*SS
TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

For most people, loft, not the shaft will have the greatest impact on how much backspin you get (swing changes not withstanding). That's why you're seeing better results with the 13 degree 3wds and I'd recommend limiting your search to those strong 3wds, especially if you're taking the driver out of the bag.

If your swinging at 100 with a 3 wood you need to look at shafts in x flex, problly will be hard to demo to many as most shops don't carry x flex demos!! But if you get the chance it will be an eye opening experience for you.

I also agree that the titleist with the Diamana shafts stock are a great option. But if money is an issue like you said I agree that the Aldila NV 75 or 85x will be a great option for you!! They are usually around 50 bucks, when you get it, it will need to be tiped 1" to make it a true x but once you do that it is a great combo in any 3 wood. I play it in my adams xtd

Cobra Long Tom 8*, 45", Grafalloy black bird, tipped 3"
Titleist 906f2 13*, Fubuki Fuel Tour Spec X
Taylormade RAC TP MB 2iron w/ Project X 7.0
Taylormade RAC TP MB 3-PW w/ KBS CTaper X
Cleveland 52* Project X 7.0
Nike vr forged 58* heel grind Project X 7.0

I've had the same issues as you. Because I tend to hit down on 3Ws, I tended to balloon them and favored a 13*. I would also add the Mizuno MP-650 to the mix. This has been a perfect 3W for me and very low spin. I've had no problems with a 15* and the stock Orochi Red shaft is a great match for the head. It's actually a mid-spin shaft to match the low spin head.

Plus the 650 is very easy to hit off the deck.

Maltby KE4 TC Max MPF Pro Stiff
Callaway Rogue 3W Synergy 60

Maltby KE4 Tour TC 19*, 22* Matrix  HX3 White Tie
Taylormade Burner TP Japan Issue 5-PW DG120

Callaway MD4 Raw 52*, 58* DG115
Maltby PTM-5

Well the Golf Channel has been playing the sliceaway commercial on a regular basis and it guarantees a better game by 5 strokes or your money back.

[url="https://www.getsliceaway.com/"]https://www.getsliceaway.com/[/url]

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/52967-thug-hunters-bag/page__hl__thug+hunter"]WITB Link[/url]

Titleist 915 8.5º D3 Rogue Black 70X
Titleist 915F 16.5º Rogue Black 70X
Titleist 816 H2 21º Diamana 70S
Titleist 712 AP2 3-PW S300
Titleist SM6 52º & 58º Jet Black
Odyssey Black Series Tour Design #2 or #8
Under Armour Storm Match Play stand bag (Blue Marker)

Take a look at angles of attack because a few degrees down can cause high spin levels. Anothing thing is shaft wieght - a heavier shaft will give you less spin/also a tipped shaft will as well. Go to your club pro and get a high kick point shaft thats heavier and is tipped half an inch or an inch in a callaway x hot 3 deep head and you will have a low spin 3 wood. Hint you might want to go to 14.5 if you do all this to the shaft because the result may also give low launch but in any case expirenment a 13 might be better - i can't tell as i don't know you swing.

Hope this helps

Taylormade M1 430 9.5, Diamana D+ 70X
Taylormade M1 15, 19, Diamana D+ 80X
Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 18, Project X 6.5
Mizuno MP-4 3-9, Project X 6.5
Vokey SM6 48, 54, 60, TTDG TI X100
Odyssey White Hot RX #7

I agree with Stuart G. I had this issue with 15* 3 woods until I hit the 910Fd with BiMatrix X flex shaft. Just never got used to the feel of it. Right now I am looking for a TEE 15 or 16.5 head. Probably XCG6 or CB4/5. Great performing fairway wood off the deck and off the tee from what I am told. Just need to find a good shaft to pair it with. Not sure if they come in a .350 hosel. If they do, then the Tour AD UT may be my front runner to put in it.

Callaway Rogue SZ 10.5* W/ Matrix F7M2
Tour Edge Exotics XCG7 Beta 16.5* W/ Matrix F7M2 Proto

Adams Super LS 19* W/ Kuro Kage 80
Royal Collection Tour VS 5-PW W/ Aldila RIP Tour 115
Taylormade RAC Satin 50 + 54 W/ Aldila RIP Tour 115
MaxFli CrossBax 3.0 (#9 Style)
Bag - Honma Mini Staff
Ball - Taylormade RBZ Urethane

I have the same issue (producing way too much spin with my woods) and i found the 3deep to be by far the lowest spinning. the only issue I found, even with my 110+ 3 wood club head speed, was that i couldn't hit a normal shot if i wanted to cut some off of it. it wouldn't hold in the air for me.

i went with the adams super LS and it's been the best performing 3 wood i've played, even though it sounds and "feels" like junk IMO. i got alot more distance with the 3 deep, but the super LS was easy to hit high to carry stuff or low through the wind, and i could really take an easy swing and have no issues with ball flight.

i wanted to love the 3deep, but it is a second driver, not a fairway wood. if that's what you're looking for, i would highly reccomend it. try to hit it on a course before you buy it to see if it fits the gap you need it to fit.

My FW SS is about the same as yours and the backspin issue is really the effect of the loft of the club. Find a 13* or lower and you will get more distance. Incidentally, my 14* R11 gives me about the same carry and spin that you are getting, so I don't believe there is anything wrong with the clubs you are playing. You just need a little less loft in some situations. I know many don't care for adjustable woods, but the R11 I have can be adjusted to a loft of 12.5* if needed and it is considerably longer when set to that. Another FW to consider is the Amp Cell. It also has a good amount of adjustability and set up nicely off the deck. I've heard good reviews about the 3 deep, but when you get a 13*, that's all you've got. if you get in a situation where you need another loft, you have to get another club.

BT

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize