DIY Driver tune up / DIY fitting

Howard_Jones

Cool, so if I understand this, if I am looking at a Geek No Brainer for example, which is heavy for a driver head at 206 grams, using this rule of thumb I would tip a driver shaft about 1/2" [size=4](1/8 x 3) [/size][size=4]more than manufacturer recommended since this is about 6 grams heavier than the 200 "standard" head weight? This makes sense as the heavier weight might flex the shaft more. Then just adjust the overall length for swingweight?[/size]

[quote name='@@@' timestamp='1379422358' post='7864713']
Are there any tell tale signs that total weight is too high or too low?
[/quote]

If shaft weight / Total weight is to high, it would be visible at Transition on top of the swing.
- It will look like the club is frozen to something, and has to be "pulled" free, and the player will move his hips and lower back sideways to do that. Its very easy to see that he struggles, even if he say it feels OK.

If the club is to light, his tempo timing will suffer, and become variable from swing to swing.

DO NOT SEND PMs WITH CLUB TECH QUESTIONS - USE THE PUBLIC FORUM.

[quote name='ERUddOH' timestamp='1379424137' post='7864841']
Cool, so if I understand this, if I am looking at a Geek No Brainer for example, which is heavy for a driver head at 206 grams, using this rule of thumb I would tip a driver shaft about 1/2" (1/8 x 3) more than manufacturer recommended since this is about 6 grams heavier than the 200 "standard" head weight? This makes sense as the heavier weight might flex the shaft more. Then just adjust the overall length for swingweight?
[/quote]

Never use length to get SW right, treat them as 2 separate parameters, where length is most important, then adjust SW if needed.

This is the ONLY one I have never liked.

- Against the heel side - Shaft is too long

And that is only because of personal eperiences. I have a swing flaw that favors the heel side, and no matter how long of a shaft you give me, if I am not swinging 100%, I will favor the heel side. Obviously that is independent of a fitting, but it is something to be aware of.

Nice post Howard. If I can make a suggestion, maybe dig up the post where you described the visual effects of shaft weight/club heft. I know you wrote a really good one up a while back but I don't remember where it was. Maybe combine that one into this thread?

2024 Building In-progress

Qi10 Core Head 9* w/ AD-DI 6S  (I heart you AD DI and will never sway from you again)
Qi10 Tour 3W with shaft TBD
Callaway UW 17* with shaft TBD

Titleist TS2 19* Hybrid at 20* w/ PX Evenflow Blue 85 6.0

4-PW Srixon ZX7s w/ DG AMT White S300s
MG2 TW Grind 56/60 at 54/58
Spider Tour X3

Here is a DIY for Putter balance Counterweight- Take a stack of coins or spacer shims and a tee, put the spacers or coins on the tee, and use tape to fix it to the grip end of the shaft - Test any thing from 30 to 100 grams. Here is how to find out how much weight needed. if the coins has a hole in the middle, you might put them on a tee you push down the went hole at the end of the gripTake a letter sheet, and align the longest side against your target- Address the ball on the side close to you, on target line side of the letter sheet.Now your putter will be half on, half off the sheet at address.- When you start your take away, pay attention to how the head "moves" out from address:A Blade putter shall move in a slight arc, going off the paper on your sideA Mallet putter shall move in a almost strait line, following the edge of the letter sheet.Here is how its should look when Balance is correctbvqahsktq2tu.jpgOn both types of putter, if the head starts by moving IN over the paper, ADD weight grip side.Test and add weight until its to much, and go down again, to tweak it right.The need for the letter sheet, is to boost contrast so even small wobbels is visible for your eye.Here is how it would look like, when you need more weight Grip side1hu9ofq8aedo.jpgA helper or a video cam is very helpful here. Watch WRISTS and if they are "fixed" or "break " during the stroke.If the player cant keep his wrist fixed, add more weight grip side until he gets control of them.How to change grip side weightIt does not matter if you at the end, use a grip with that extra weight, or if you add it by using lead tape below the gripLead tape gives about 25 grams on 1 layer in spiral pattern, filling the same as 1 layer of build up, so if the need is 100 grams, add 4 layers of lead tape as if it was 4 layers of build up.You can also use a insert weight, and even make that insert weight yourself, by using a machine bolt, and tape. Just build it up until it fits the inside of the shaft. Last layer, use grip tape and solvent, so it sticks to the inside of the shaftPUTTER LIE ANGLEFor this task you need a helper who shall stand in front of you as if he was the target (3-4 YARDS)

When the player takes his stance and address the ball, the helper shall LOOK on the putter head.

Most, but far from all putters have a FLAT top line, and for the helper its VERY VISIBLE if lie angle is not right for the player. The putter heads top line will tell if lie angle shall be adjusted upright or more flat.

htpwtpeb1782.pngAdjust, look again, and do this until its visible that the putter has a neutral lie angle when the putter head is in address position where the players head is correct over the ball.This is the way i do this, i never use any of the tools ive got for this task, because they cant compete with the accuracy you get from a visual judgement like above. Ive got 3 different Mitchell static fitting tools for putters, but they want get you closer than 1* degree of whats right, butt 1 off is NO GOOD, so just save your time and money and do it withoutGood luck !

Edited by Howard_Jones
  • Thanks 3

[quote name='Howard Jones' timestamp='1379520305' post='7871739']
Oh yes a swing fault might give all sort of problems, but if you cant improve by following the above tips, then tere is something wrong with your swing...

Ive been writing about my own fitting concept who i call Visual Fitting.
- Its like with the DIY tune up, no need for high tech equipment, just a trained eye.
Here is a cut/paste from another post with that:

[color=#282828]SHAFT FITTING[/color]
[color=#282828]We cant always pick a shaft with "lower" or "higher" launch and always get there, because the shaft is the players "dancing partner" and its how this "Couple" respond to each other that makes then "chemistry" between them. I like to say the the shaft influence more on the player than the player influence on the shaft, so if the shaft for some reason make the player to compensate in a way thats not beneficial for his play, a high launch might bring ball flight down, while a low launch might bring flight up.[/color]

[color=#282828]We always have to start by "going by the book", but DONT expect ´"the book" to be right in every case, because its sometimes the o posit result of what we should expect from the label of that shaft. Testing and some trial and error is always needed to dial in whats right for each player, and over time, every club fitter has seen this and had his doubt about why it can go down this way when its in conflict with the labels and the book.[/color]

[color=#282828]I also found that we can LOOK on the player while he is swinging the club, and actually SEE if the shaft is right for him, long before we got a single number from the launch monitor. All players got his own swing, but its not that hard to SEE whats wrong or his need for changes, just by looking on him while he swing the club, and i would like to tell you all what i look for and what i judge by that.[/color]

[b][color=#282828]VISUAL FITTING[/color]

[color=#282828]Weight - Tempo[/color]
[color=#282828]- Try to evaluate if the players Tempo is under control[/color]
[color=#282828]His tempo shall be as close to the same for each and every swing, and we can see if his rhythm is good or not (balance and float)[/color]
[color=#282828]A Strong player with a shaft to light, will slow down and become insecure, so its no float in his rhythm -try more shaft weight[/color]
[color=#282828]A shaft to heavy for the player, and you will see that he is struggling in transition, so he "jump start" the club by his back and hips - NO GOOD[/color]

[color=#282828]Transition to Down swing - Butt / Mid flex strength[/color]
[color=#282828]- Look at the players "aggressiveness" or the lack of it.[/color]
[color=#282828]Like with Tempo, float and control is what you wants to see, so here is what happen if flex dont fit[/color]
[color=#282828]- If the butt to mid part of the shaft is to weak, the player will just like a shaft who is too light, slow down because the feedback he gets does him insecure, like he dont "trust" that the shaft can handle his natural way of loading it. its feel wrong for him simply. Go stiffer[/color]
[color=#282828]- If the butt to mid is too stiff, it will trigger him to "overplay", just like a shaft who is to heavy, so he is using to much power from the top in his attempt to load this pole, but you will SEE that he is using to much energy, and that he is loosing control for that reason.[/color]

[color=#282828]TIP of the shaft[/color]
[color=#282828]- This part is what by the book shall give a difference in launch from high if its soft, or low if it stiff, but thats not always right. Feedback from IMPACT is what goes into his deeper mental levels, so if it too stiff, he will start to overload from the top to make it feel right. (Look on his face, you can SEE he is aggressive)[/color]

[color=#282828]We can actually SEE all this with our own eyes, so pay attention to his power use, his rythm and float, and if it looks like electrical "sparks" coming out in several stages of his swing, we know that he is "leaking power" he want be able to transfer to the ball.[/color]

[color=#282828]- DONT underestimate a player physical strength or need for weight before you have tried some option to find out what THIS player should play.[/color]
[color=#282828]Ive seen many players, who by visual inspection swinging their own clubs LOOKs weak, because they have a slow tempo, hardly no aggressiveness and not that impressive club speed, but DONT start by going LIGHTER to speed him up, go HEAVY. Often this players has the same syndrome as a stronger player who get a shaft to light or weak, so the reason why his tempo is slow, his aggressiveness not present, and club speed in the lower end, might be the need for more weight or MOI/resistance, so he cant find out how he can transfer his power to this club. His dancing partner has made him slow and weak, but that does not mean that he is.[/color]

[color=#282828]By using this "Visual fitting" steps, we can use the shaft to "trigger" a player into the right path for him. and when we found whats right, you will SEE that its working, and if you ask the player how it feels, he will tell you that it feels right for him. and he will have the very best odds of making pure contact with the ball.[/color]

[color=#282828]If we do it this way, we have to forget that one shaft is Low launch and one shaft is High, because we used that differences to alter HIS FEEL, to trigger his swing into whats right, but not to make a difference to ball flight. Tweak ball flight by tweaking loft, and/or another ball, DONT leave IT ALL to the shaft, it want be able to do it all for you, and feel right on top of it. If you find a shaft that can do all this, included flight you been lucky, so dont ask to much from the shaft alone, but let the shaft take care of what it really can do for you, and flight is not the most important since that can be done much easier by loft.[/color]

[color=#282828]I dont know, but i like to think thats why Tiger has a set up like he does. He plays X100 to get weight and feel right, but then he tweaked loft 2 up, to get flight WAY HIGHER than any High launch shaft could have brought him, since dispersion might suffer bad, if we try to tweak flight by the shafts tip alone.[/color]

[color=#282828]This is my way of doing this, and i always get to target this way, but i dont know how other club fitters does their job in this matters.[/color][/b]
[/quote]

MAN!!! Does THIS bring back memories of old time fitting! Still work great though. Great job Howard!

BT

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

@Ri Redneck

Please fill inn, i know nothing about how they did a fitting in earlier times, so this is strictly based on what i observe when i do a fitting, so its not like im not using any equipment, i do, and i use Trackman with real gamer balls, and i even do Lie angles using Trackman, But no other "tool" than me can SEE whats happening with the player, and when it looks right, Trackman always conform it is right, so does the player. If it dont looks right, you get the same message from Trackman. Thats what i learned from this, but remember that im spending 3-4 ours doing 1 fitting. (irons, or driver, not both, thats 8 ours), so we got the time to test all parameters needed to get it all as good as it can be done.

So when we test to find shaft weight, i just use a shaft i think is a god starting point, and if the weight and feel is within the players preference area, we can do both Total weight and SW balance, using that shaft, by adding weight to the shaft at the middle of the shaft (as close to the shafts actual BP as possible) for testing a higher shaft weight, or add weight to the head to test a higher SW value.

When we found both this, i know what weight range i shall pick a shaft from, and now its time for flex and profile, using feed back from the starting club the player used. From what we saw while he was swinging that test club, and his own feedback, we know where to look in flex and profile now. Do we want to speed him up by going stronger, or slow him down by going softer?

In a shop like mine, where there is more than 1000 combination of Heads / Shafts available for driver fitting alone, we have to find a short cut to reduce the number of possible combos. A well trained player only have about 80 good strokes on his "batteries", a day, before he starts to make errors he normally dont run into during a round, so a 3-4 hour session is all a player can take, and thats why we "save" as many strokes as possible, trying to get the most out of each and every one of them.

Like my friend Jaskanski sais, Golf is what you put into it, so is it with fitting of your gear. If you follow what i wrote above here, you will be better off than most regular Golf shops can help you with, even if they use a Launch monitor to assist,
The reason is they skipped the 3 most important factors of them all, who is #1 Length - #2 Total weight - #3 Club balance.

• Like 1

Thanks Howard Jones! This was a very good read, it was super cool, interesting and helpful. You've given me new knowledge and many things to consider. Appreciate you taking time to post and wish I had access to a fitter like you

913D3 9.5A1 D+7x
913Fd 15.0A1 D+8x
Super 9031 20.0 Speeder90HBx
MP64 3-P KBS Tour X
MPT4 52/58 KBS Tour X
SC Monterey IOMIC Midsize

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here is an update with a few charts for you.

The first is a chart for un-cut shaft weight of all your clubs.
- This is MY suggestion for shaft weight progression, as we change shaft lenght.
If you have a favorite club that just feels right, find the un cut shaft weight of that club, and locate it in the green fields in the bottom of the chart. In some cases you will find your favorit clubs shaft weight in 3 rows. The middle would be my suggestion for the rest of your bag, based on your favorite club. The row to the left is 5 grams down, the row to the right is 5 grams up.

The chart is based on players ive been doing more than 1 club for, and i found a pattern behind it, who can be explained. In a set of irons with constant weight shafts, both shafts and grips is equal in weight, the only difference is the head. The clubs total weight changes by the same as head weight changes, and thats 7 grams pr. iron.

In Drivers and woods we can use 10 grams pr. club like this
- Driver = 198
- 3W = 208
- 4W = 213
- 5W = 218
- 7W = 228

In woods we go 10 grams pr inch, or compared to irons, only 5 gram pr 0.5 inch, and then we will need some extra weight. If we use 5 grams plus on Shaft Weight pr inch shorter club, the total weight difference would be about 7.5 grams pr 0.5 inch in woods, compared to 7 grams in irons. Then we ends up with a "heft" in all your clubs who makes them more equal than many players got.

[attachment=1907503:Shaft weight progression.PNG]

EDIT - NEW Chart with IMPERIAL WTF added.
[attachment=1908815:Static fitting club length.PNG]

[quote name='Geohans' timestamp='1381415318' post='7981031']
Great stuff, thanks.

There seem to be two measurements for wrist to floor-- Fra and Til. How do we use these two numbers?

BTW the two numbers correspond roughly to 34 inches and 36 inches under standard wrist to floor.

Does the difference have to do with bare feet, or. . . .?
[/quote]

Fra = From
Til = To

Correct - "Standard" #5 iron at 38.00" is for a player with a WTF from 34" to 36" inch or "Fra 86.5 cm Til 91.5 cm"
- Golf shoes ON, standing strait up and down, your arms relaxed. Measure from wrist on LEFT hand for right hand players.
DONT try it alone, you need a helper who can make sure you are standing with your shoulders in level. Let your helper measure.

@TMBob - Sorry i dont have any videos to offer on this, but feel free to ask any question if there is something you dont understand.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking at the above chart that Howard posted, "New Chart with Imperial WTF added".

Assume one has "WTF To Inch" = 36".
Looking up the chart - there're three columns that has 36": Min0.25, Standard and Plus1/8.

I'm not quite sure what other factor(s) that will help me to select the actual column to set the club length (Min, Standard or Plus)?
[size=4]- for example, with #5 iron, I'm not sure to select its length at 37 6/8 (Min0.25), 38 (Standard) or 38 1/8.[/size]

[quote name='jamesWRX' timestamp='1382133475' post='8023435']
I'm looking at the above chart that Howard posted, "New Chart with Imperial WTF added".

Assume one has "WTF To Inch" = 36".
Looking up the chart - there're three columns that has 36": Min0.25, Standard and Plus1/8.

I'm not quite sure what other factor(s) that will help me to select the actual column to set the club length (Min, Standard or Plus)?
- for example, with #5 iron, I'm not sure to select its length at 37 6/8 (Min0.25), 38 (Standard) or 38 1/8.
[/quote]

This is STATIC fitting only, a fast starting point for testing, and if the players WTF is 36", shortest starting point for testing would be minus 2/8 and longest plus 2/8. Since "standard" in this chart is 34" to 36" and this player is at the max, the natural mid value would be Plus 1/8

[quote name='Howard Jones' timestamp='1379522520' post='7871923']
Here is a DIY for Putter balance

Counterweight
[color=#282828]- Take a "stack of coins" and use tape to fix it to the grip end of the shaft - Test any thing from 30 to 100 grams[/color]
[color=#282828]Here is how to find out how much weight needed.[/color]

[color=#282828]Take a letter sheet, and align the longest side against your target[/color]
[color=#282828]- Address the ball on the side close to you, on target line side of the letter sheet.[/color]
[color=#282828]Now your putter will be half on, half off the sheet at address.[/color]
[color=#282828]- When you start your take away, pay attention to how the head "moves" out from address:[/color]

[color=#282828]A Blade putter shall move in a slight arc, going off the paper on your side[/color]
[color=#282828]A Mallet putter shall move in a almost strait line, following the edge of the letter sheet.[/color]

[color=#282828]On both types of putter, if the head starts by moving IN over the paper, ADD weight grip side.[/color]
[color=#282828]Test and add weight until its to much, and go down again, to tweak it right.[/color]
[color=#282828]The need for the letter sheet, is to boost contrast so even small wobbels is visible for your eye.[/color]

[color=#282828]It does not matter if you at the end, use a grip with that extra weight, or if you add it by using lead tape below the grip[/color]
[color=#282828]Lead tape gives about 25 grams on 1 layer in spiral pattern, filling the same as 1 layer of build up, so if the need is 100 grams, add 4 layers of lead tape as if it was 4 layers of build up.[/color]

[color=#282828]You can also use a insert weight, and even make that insert weight yourself, by using a machine bolt, and tape. Just build it up until it fits the inside of the shaft. Last layer, use grip tape and solvent, so it sticks to the inside of the shaft[/color]

[color=#282828]Good luck ! [/color]
[/quote]

How far below the grip should one add lead tape? One post I read said 14 inches? That is more than 1/2 down the shaft from the top of grip? Sorry if this has been asked before, I looked but could find it with nah certainty.

Fantastic post btw, a must read for anyone looking to tweak and/or get fitted.

[quote name='6hcphacker' timestamp='1382353098' post='8033341']

Counterweight
[color=#282828]- Take a "stack of coins" and use tape to fix it to the grip end of the shaft - Test any thing from 30 to 100 grams[/color]

[color=#282828]Take a letter sheet, and align the longest side against your target[/color]
[color=#282828]- Address the ball on the side close to you, on target line side of the letter sheet.[/color]
[color=#282828]Now your putter will be half on, half off the sheet at address.[/color]
[color=#282828]- When you start your take away, pay attention to how the head "moves" out from address:[/color]

[color=#282828]A Blade putter shall move in a slight arc, going off the paper on your side[/color]
[color=#282828]A Mallet putter shall move in a almost strait line, following the edge of the letter sheet.[/color]

[color=#282828]On both types of putter, if the head starts by moving IN over the paper, ADD weight grip side.[/color]
[color=#282828]Test and add weight until its to much, and go down again, to tweak it right.[/color]
[color=#282828]The need for the letter sheet, is to boost contrast so even small wobbels is visible for your eye.[/color]

[b][color=#282828]It does not matter if you at the end, use a grip with that extra weight, or if you add it by using lead tape below the grip[/color]
[color=#282828]Lead tape gives about 25 grams on 1 layer in spiral pattern, filling the same as 1 layer of build up, so if the need is 100 grams, add 4 layers of lead tape as if it was 4 layers of build up.[/color][/b]

[color=#282828]You can also use a insert weight, and even make that insert weight yourself, by using a machine bolt, and tape. Just build it up until it fits the inside of the shaft. Last layer, use grip tape and solvent, so it sticks to the inside of the shaft[/color]

[/quote]

How far below the grip should one add lead tape? One post I read said 14 inches? That is more than 1/2 down the shaft from the top of grip? Sorry if this has been asked before, I looked but could find it with nah certainty.

Fantastic post btw, a must read for anyone looking to tweak and/or get fitted.
[/quote]

I believe in that particular context, he's talking about using the lead tape underneath the grip (same place as the grip tape). This results in the counterbalancing described.

The addition of lead tape to the shaft 14" from the butt is done in fitting for a slightly different purpose - to increase static weight without increasing swing weight. That technique can help determine if a heaver shaft weight would suite a player.

• 1 month later...

Counterweight

[color=#282828]It does not matter if you at the end, use a grip with that extra weight, or if you add it by using lead tape below the grip[/color]
[color=#282828]Lead tape gives about 25 grams on 1 layer in spiral pattern, filling the same as 1 layer of build up, so if the need is 100 grams, add 4 layers of lead tape as if it was 4 layers of build up.[/color]

[/quote]

Ive been trying to explain "Putter balance" and counter weighting,and when the Balance is right for the player, he will feel that the putter is "floating" on its own lie angle, with no effort to keep it there. The resistance from head weight will now only be present as feel of weight when you move it back and forward. The head will stay on its path and lie angle with no left/right wobbling.
Its hard to explain this any better using words alone, but take a look at this movie, and you will understand what i mean by perfect balance, and effortless moving. As a metaphor, this is what we seek by finding the right balance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4DxNMKGJ4w

The next that happens when balance is right, is that your hands will be syn crone with the putter head.
Typical will most players benefit from more weight in their hands, who will add resistance, so your hands cant force a forward shaft lean before the head is willing to follow along with the grip side. Get a "helper" to LOOK on your hands, and if they start to move a bit before the head, making this forward shaft lean when your start the forward movement of the stroke, add weight grip side.

So, Putter balance and Counterweight is both to get that "floating feel" where the putter floats on its own lie angle, but also to adjust resistance to your hands, if its needed to slow down the grip side, so the head is moving along with it.

[quote name='Howard Jones' timestamp='1379573645' post='7876015']
@Ri Redneck

Please fill inn, i know nothing about how they did a fitting in earlier times, so this is strictly based on what i observe when i do a fitting, so its not like im not using any equipment, i do, and i use Trackman with real gamer balls, and i even do Lie angles using Trackman, But no other "tool" than me can SEE whats happening with the player, and when it looks right, Trackman always conform it is right, so does the player. If it dont looks right, you get the same message from Trackman. Thats what i learned from this, but remember that im spending 3-4 ours doing 1 fitting. (irons, or driver, not both, thats 8 ours), so we got the time to test all parameters needed to get it all as good as it can be done.

So when we test to find shaft weight, i just use a shaft i think is a god starting point, and if the weight and feel is within the players preference area, we can do both Total weight and SW balance, using that shaft, by adding weight to the shaft at 14" down from butt for testing a higher shaft weight, or add weight to the head to test a higher SW value.

When we found both this, i know what weight range i shall pick a shaft from, and now its time for flex and profile, using feed back from the starting club the player used. From what we saw while he was swinging that test club, and his own feedback, we know where to look in flex and profile now. Do we want to speed him up by going stronger, or slow him down by going softer?

In a shop like mine, where there is more than 1000 combination of Heads / Shafts available for driver fitting alone, we have to find a short cut to reduce the number of possible combos. A well trained player only have about 80 good strokes on his "batteries", a day, before he starts to make errors he normally dont run into during a round, so a 3-4 hour session is all a player can take, and thats why we "save" as many strokes as possible, trying to get the most out of each and every one of them.

Like my friend Jaskanski sais, Golf is what you put into it, so is it with fitting of your gear. If you follow what i wrote above here, you will be better off than most regular Golf shops can help you with, even if they use a Launch monitor to assist,
The reason is they skipped the 3 most important factors of them all, who is #1 Length - #2 Total weight - #3 Club balance.
[/quote]

Sorry I didn't get back to you earlier. I've been traveling too much.

I used to do fittings back in the 80's when we really had nothing to get SS or BS numbers. You just watched their tempo / transition and the distance they got with given specs. I even used a stop watch at times to see if they were consistent or needed some lessons along with the fitting. A Trackman would have been awsome to have back then. Of course, there were not nearly as many options for shafts and clubheads then either. A simple weight port on a driver was a rare thing. I used Lie Boards for Dynamic lie fitting and still believe it's hard to beat. A simple SW scale was used to get an idea of where to start with the weighting, but the feel feedback from the golfer was the tell-all. I don't know how many times I had some guy say he needed a D4 SW and wouldn't take anything else and then have him gripe about the weight, only to find that he DIDN'T need a D4!

Even with all the technology we have these days, I still like personal feedback the most. I was just glad to see that it meant as much to you.

BT

[quote name='Howard Jones' timestamp='1386229098' post='8251397']

Counterweight

[/quote]

Ive been trying to explain "Putter balance" and counter weighting,and when the Balance is right for the player, he will feel that the putter is "floating" on its own lie angle, with no effort to keep it there. The resistance from head weight will now only be present as feel of weight when you move it back and forward. The head will stay on its path and lie angle with no left/right wobbling.
Its hard to explain this any better using words alone, but take a look at this movie, and you will understand what i mean by perfect balance, and effortless moving. As a metaphor, this is what we seek by finding the right balance.

[url="http://vk.com/video-53308673_166434007?hash=828e3af567aa99df"]http://vk.com/video-...28e3af567aa99df[/url]

The next that happens when balance is right, is that your hands will be syn crone with the putter head.
Typical will most players benefit from more weight in their hands, who will add resistance, so your hands cant force a forward shaft lean before the head is willing to follow along with the grip side. Get a "helper" to LOOK on your hands, and if they start to move a bit before the head, making this forward shaft lean when your start the forward movement of the stroke, add weight grip side.

So, Putter balance and Counterweight is both to get that "floating feel" where the putter floats on its own lie angle, but also to adjust resistance to your hands, if its needed to slow down the grip side, so the head is moving along with it.
[/quote]

That's an amazing video. I was hoping the feather would come off at the end to show the intensity of the entire balance!

I believe many are missing out from not having a properly fit putter to their stroke and body design. I decided to design/build my own putter back in '99 (one of my players is in my avatar). The head is fine sanded to a specific weight so that it balanced perfectly with the shaft and grip I planned to use. I had 5, but chose a poor wood (Gabon Ebony) for one and it had a chronic cracking problem and it had to be retired.

One overlooked specification that I stumbled on during my endeavours was grip alignment. I had always installed putter grips square to the clubface in the past, but I found I was never really comfortable over the ball. I felt I had to PUT myself into a position to make a proper stroke. What I WANTED was to be able to BE in the proper position when I took my stance over the ball and not have to conform to the putter after the fact. I discovered that when I took my putting stance, my left hand was not actually square to the target line. Since the grip WAS square, the putter just didn't feel right. To solve this, I constructed an alignment setup out of boards that allowed me to place my feet in the proper position AND the putter face square to the target. then I installed my preferred grip with tape and solvent which gave me time to tweak the grip till it was perfect for me. In the end, I found that installing my putter grip 10* open allows my hands to rest in a natural position and the putter face literally squares itself! Suddenly, I had removed one of the variables of putting that had plagued me for years.

Sadly, I still have to read the greens, so I am not yet a "lights-out" putter. But my confidence that I am setup properly helps a ton!

BT

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Pure gold Howard. In your post you didn't address face angle. Any special tricks to fit this, or do you just watch ball flight? Thanks.

Let me tell you what Wooderson is packin'
Sim Max 12° Speeder NX 6s
Sim2 Max 15°
Ping G410 21° 
Ping G425 22°/25°
Ping G430 6-PW AWT Stiff
Ping Glide 3.0 GW/SW

Ping Eye 2 XG LW

[quote name='Wooderson' timestamp='1393105620' post='8723682']
Pure gold Howard. In your post you didn't address face angle. Any special tricks to fit this, or do you just watch ball flight? Thanks.
[/quote]

Face angle is not that simple, but yes, ball flight is what we got for help to judge it, if we aint got a Trackman for assistance.

Start direction of ball flight will tell if its open or closed, but we dont see the first part of the flight our self if we keep our eyes on the ball until its gone, so like with putter and lie angle, a helper standing behind the tee is good help here.

[attachment=2081616:shaping-the-golf-shot-300x293.gif]

Do you find that face angle often needs to be the same for all woods of a players bag? Or do you find players tend to have different angles for their drivers and fairways? Thanks for your help.

Let me tell you what Wooderson is packin'
Sim Max 12° Speeder NX 6s
Sim2 Max 15°
Ping G410 21° 
Ping G425 22°/25°
Ping G430 6-PW AWT Stiff
Ping Glide 3.0 GW/SW

Ping Eye 2 XG LW

• 4 months later...

excellent post! I just cut down my irons to play the 37.5" 5-iron standard and had been striking the ball very nicely for the past couple rounds, and with a WTF of 34" this chart is spot on (on the lower range) while my hybrids and woods are on the upper end!

[size=3][b]Bettinardi BEBG-1501 Staff Bag (Riding 14 Clubs)[/b][/size]
[color=#000000][size=3]TRPX S-013 1W 9.5 [/size][/color][size=3][color=#000000]| [/color][/size][color=#000000][size=3]RomaRo Ray Type-R 5W+ 17 & UT 19[/size][/color][size=3][color=#000000] | United SBB1 Tour 3-PW & SBW2 53/57 | Bettinardi Queen Bee #6[/color]

[b]Honma CB-3202 Stand Bag (Walking 12 Clubs)[/b]
[color=#000000]Baldo 8C Craft Brassy 2W 13 | George Spirit GTFW 5W 18 | Honma TW-U 21 & TW717M 4-PW | Romaro Alcobaca Stream Tour 58 | Bettinardi BB35[/color][/size]