Dogs

calc61

[quote name='calc61' timestamp='1379892456' post='7894503']
I really want one,but what the pluses vs.minus
[/quote]

The pluses are easy. Have you ever:
- had your wife get mad because you stayed out too late or played too much golf?
- had your boss blame you for something you did or didn't do?
- had a family member hold a grudge for a long time?
- had your kids not act excited to see you after being gone for a business trip?
- had your significant other give you the silent treatment because you didn't take out the trash?
- had your wife take half your stuff because you "petted another dog"?

Well, these are issues you will never have with a dog. That's why they are man's best friends.

[b]Driver:[/b] TaylorMade Tour Issue M3 8.9*, Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.2 Tour Spec X
[b]3 Wood:[/b] Taylormade R15 15*, Fujikura Motore F1X
[b]Hybrid:[/b] TaylorMade M1 19*, Fujikura Speeder Evo 82H X
[b]Irons:[/b] Titleist 716 AP2 4-PW , Tour Issue TT DG X100
[b]Wedges:[/b] Yururi Gekku Raw 49*, 53* & 57* Nippon NS Pro Modus3 130X
[b]Putter: [/b]Scotty Cameron Futura 6M

My "oldest child" is in my avatar. We got our Jack Russell in 2010 when he was 1. He was already crate trained and housebroken but it will still a challenge to get him in line. Jacks are very independent and stubborn so discipline is #1 on the list. We had our son in 2012 so it was work to get the dog behind our child in the pecking order but we have done that as well. He loves our son and vice versa. They will be buddies for a lot of years.

I can't imagine our life without our dog but be preapred for some work if he/she stays in the house. As others have said a dog's number one priority is discipline. They have to know where they stand to be kept under control. Also, do major research on the breed of dog you are considering. The personality of our Jack would be hard for some to manage I'm sure. But, the love we get from him is amazing. I was out walking him in our neighborhood before dawn a couple years ago and a large GSD came out from behind a trash can. He was in an aggressive mood (I guess because we surprised him) and my dog got between me and the Shepherd ready to defend me with his life. Luckily I was able to avoid a confrontation but the incident showed me how much my little guy cared for me.

My uncle operates a boarding kennel close to my house so the dog has a good place to stay while we are out of town.

Titleist TSi2 10* Ventus Blue 6X
Titleist TS2 16* Diamana S+ 60X 
Taylormade Rescue 22* Aldila XVS9
Titleist T100S TT Dynalite Sensicore X100 4-PW
Vokey SM5 50*, 54* and 60* TT DGS400
SIK Pro Custom

Add another vote to those saying they couldn't imagine their lives without a dog. Whoever said the love a dog shows you is the purest form of emotion is dead on. Don't look past how much responsibility they are, as it can be a lot of work and frustrating, but the love they will always show you is well worth it. Be patient, do your research, and find the breed that works for your lifestyle and you will spend the next 10-15 years thinking about how happy you are you made the decision to add a member (or two, in our case) to your family. I can't imagine not having my two.

Oh, and for those of you who have dogs, I suggest reading the link below. It will only take a few minutes and will make you both laugh until you want to cry and cry because you realize how much you love your dogs, all in simple comic form.

[url="http://theoatmeal.com/comics/dog_paradox"]http://theoatmeal.com/comics/dog_paradox[/url]

The positives out way the negatives. My German Shepherd is my best friend and I couldn't imagine life without him. If you are going to get an active dog breed make sure you have time to take them for walks and get them some exercise almost everyday. I can't stand people who have their dogs locked up in the backyard and they never get to see the real world.

Plus, you could get lucky and get a pup that loves to sit and watch golf with you like mine.

IMG_3199.jpg

That's an awesome setup CSchnee! I'm lucky if I can get my dog to lay still lol.

Dogs are great, get one and you'll wonder how you ever got on without one!

Mind you, this was after playing outside with them for over an hour and a half. Rory, on the left, is a border collie/lab mix. Bailey, on the right, is a lab and Griffon Pointer mix. They both have insane amounts of energy. The best part is that I hit balls to them. I grab my 60* wedge and hit pitches and they go and grab them. Eventually they get tired then we come inside and watch the tournament.

[quote name='sefus12' timestamp='1381162580' post='7965083']
Add another vote to those saying they couldn't imagine their lives without a dog. Whoever said the love a dog shows you is the purest form of emotion is dead on. Don't look past how much responsibility they are, as it can be a lot of work and frustrating, but the love they will always show you is well worth it. Be patient, do your research, and find the breed that works for your lifestyle and you will spend the next 10-15 years thinking about how happy you are you made the decision to add a member (or two, in our case) to your family. I can't imagine not having my two.

Oh, and for those of you who have dogs, I suggest reading the link below. It will only take a few minutes and will make you both laugh until you want to cry and cry because you realize how much you love your dogs, all in simple comic form.

[url="http://theoatmeal.com/comics/dog_paradox"]http://theoatmeal.co...ics/dog_paradox[/url]
[/quote]

Man, you lucky SOB.. I have a huge soft spot for Goldens. I grew up with a Lab and can't wait till I've got the space and time for one of my own!

TSR2 8*, Ventus TR Red 7x

TSi2 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR2 18°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

MP-20 MMC  5-P, DG X100
SM8 50F, 54S, 58M (X7 "spinners")
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

Glad to see so many dog lovers on WRX. I have two - a german shepherd and choc lab mix, both of which would walk into a ring of fire, if thats what I asked. The loyalty and small gestures that dogs give to their owners is unlike anything I've ever experienced. Especially my choc lab who was a rescue, and abused in her previous life. She couldn't walk on tile, hardwood floors, an elevator, steps, and loud sudden noises caused her to stress so bad she would pee where she stood- not to mention I couldnt touch her. The transformation, trust, and relationship that has been built over the last 3 years is hard to define, as she is now one of the most confident dogs I've seen. If you can rescue, do it. It's quite the experience.

Here are my two rascals:
[attachment=1907919:autumn.jpg]
[attachment=1907921:Lexi back.jpg]

[quote name='Va_Golfer86' timestamp='1381433880' post='7982639']
Glad to see so many dog lovers on WRX. I have two - a german shepherd and choc lab mix, both of which would walk into a ring of fire, if thats what I asked. The loyalty and small gestures that dogs give to their owners is unlike anything I've ever experienced. Especially my choc lab who was a rescue, and abused in her previous life. She couldn't walk on tile, hardwood floors, an elevator, steps, and loud sudden noises caused her to stress so bad she would pee where she stood- not to mention I couldnt touch her. The transformation, trust, and relationship that has been built over the last 3 years is hard to define, as she is now one of the most confident dogs I've seen. If you can rescue, do it. It's quite the experience.

Here are my two rascals:
[/quote]

Both of our dogs and our two cats are rescues. The only way to go. Oh, and I love the dog head-c0ck pose your German is sporting. I always wonder what is going through their minds when they do that.

[quote name='sefus12' timestamp='1381435542' post='7982811']

Both of our dogs and our two cats are rescues. The only way to go. Oh, and I love the dog head-c0ck pose your German is sporting. I always wonder what is going through their minds when they do that.
[/quote]

Haha when she tilts her head like that, I think she is wondering what the heck I'm doing! I agree, rescuing is an awesome way to go. I think both of mine know they were rescued. They certainly act like it.

Dogs are awesome. As many have said, they do require exercise, discipline and a lot of attention (which you will be more than happy to give). One thing I would suggest is researching which BREED is right for you. Some dogs (like mine below) need a lot of exercise, others like English Bulldogs do not. Each breed has it's own charicteristics, so it's really important to look into which one is right for you. But the real important thing is to be a responsible dog owner, i.e treat it as you would like to be treated! You will not regret getting one, just be prepared to have another wonderful family member

[attachment=1908029:Brutus.jpg]
[attachment=1908031:Brutus.1st.birthday.jpg]

I have been packing for a week long class down in Miami for work. I'm leaving in about an hour and taking care of some stuff on the computer. My pup knows something is up. For a smalll dog she doesnt like to be on my lap at home. Look who wanted up and is zonked out. I'm typing with one arm because the other is under her.

IMG_20131013_123508.jpg

TM SLDR 460 set to 10.5° 70g Aldila VS Proto 44"
TM RBZ Stage 2 Tour 14.5° & 19°
Maltby KE4 Tour 22° Hybrid
PING G25 4-UW CFS
Maltby M-Series+ 54° and sometimes 58°
Odyssey White Ice #7 37" counter balanced and a SpryEvo TeCu insert
WS FG Tour(2014) or ProV1x

[quote name='BrooklynGolfer' timestamp='1381437324' post='7982995']
Dogs are awesome. As many have said, they do require exercise, discipline and a lot of attention (which you will be more than happy to give). One thing I would suggest is researching which BREED is right for you. Some dogs (like mine below) need a lot of exercise, others like English Bulldogs do not. Each breed has it's own charicteristics, so it's really important to look into which one is right for you. But the real important thing is to be a responsible dog owner, i.e treat it as you would like to be treated! You will not regret getting one, just be prepared to have another wonderful family member

[attachment=1908029:Brutus.jpg]
[attachment=1908031:Brutus.1st.birthday.jpg]
[/quote]Gorgeous Bull Terrier....they can be wonderful dogs, with the right owner!

This is Olive, she is our 11 year old Jack Russell Terrier. Pure joy. Could not imagine our lives without her. Small dogs travel well Loves to be by your side, calm and attentive. The BEST!!!!

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 10.5* Tensei Blue 65 S 
Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 16* AeroTech Steel Fiber FC HYB S (+1/2")
Srixon ZU85 4(22*) UST Recoil f3
Callaway Apex ‘21 5/6 UST Recoil SW 780 f4 (+1/2")
Callaway Apex Pro ‘21 7-AW UST Recoil SW 780 f4 (+1/2")
Callaway MD5 Tour 54*S /60*T DG S200 (+1/2")
Toulon San Diego 34” or Odyssey #1 Tank CB 38” 
Callaway Chrome Soft 3's

[quote name='Drewmun' timestamp='1381932858' post='8009817']
This is Olive, she is our 11 year old Jack Russell Terrier. Pure joy. Could not imagine our lives without her. Small dogs travel well Loves to be by your side, calm and attentive. The BEST!!!!
[/quote]

That is one sweet jack

B!tches are the best!

Titleist 905R - 10.5°
Titleist 904f - 17°/22°
Mizuno MP32 - 4-PW
Cleveland 588 Forged 50°/54°/60°
Wilson Staff 8882

[/quote]Olive is really really cute! I've never heard of a JRT being "calm". I had one once & she was calmer than most, but had to have lots of obedience training. Super smart dogs!! We lost our JRT at 3 yrs old....her kidneys gave out & we found that they never grew past the age of about six weeks. It was heartbreaking. I've always said "a good Jack Russell Terrier is an exhausted Jack Russell Terrier". They need a job!

It helps that my wife is a dog trainer!!! They compete in agility, tracking and obedience. It is great to see them work together, the team work is amazing. Sometimes I will "run" agility courses with Olive and it's a blast.She runs while I try not to screw her up.

[quote name='Kaysquare' timestamp='1381939231' post='8010411']
[/quote]Olive is really really cute! I've never heard of a JRT being "calm". I had one once & she was calmer than most, but had to have lots of obedience training. Super smart dogs!! We lost our JRT at 3 yrs old....her kidneys gave out & we found that they never grew past the age of about six weeks. It was heartbreaking. I've always said "a good Jack Russell Terrier is an exhausted Jack Russell Terrier". They need a job!
[/quote]

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 10.5* Tensei Blue 65 S 
Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 16* AeroTech Steel Fiber FC HYB S (+1/2")
Srixon ZU85 4(22*) UST Recoil f3
Callaway Apex ‘21 5/6 UST Recoil SW 780 f4 (+1/2")
Callaway Apex Pro ‘21 7-AW UST Recoil SW 780 f4 (+1/2")
Callaway MD5 Tour 54*S /60*T DG S200 (+1/2")
Toulon San Diego 34” or Odyssey #1 Tank CB 38” 
Callaway Chrome Soft 3's

Should have made this a post pics of your dog thread! Awesome photos being posted!

Totally. My pup is a complete character and ham for the camera.

3850940727_789b21d93e_b.jpg

3012968609_ee8e25a777_z.jpg

2929394993_e23f9c69c0_b.jpg

2933819265_6e2facd8aa_b.jpg

2933729633_9ef0e6e704_b.jpg

PING G25 4-UW CFS

Her "i got a new toy look.' Makes me feel good and smile every time

9057576679_33367b0463_b.jpg

I take her most places with me. She is always patiently waiting for my return to the truck

7505134034_7859fed174_c.jpg

PING G25 4-UW CFS

[quote name='sefus12' timestamp='1381435542' post='7982811']
[quote name='Va_Golfer86' timestamp='1381433880' post='7982639']
Glad to see so many dog lovers on WRX. I have two - a german shepherd and choc lab mix, both of which would walk into a ring of fire, if thats what I asked. The loyalty and small gestures that dogs give to their owners is unlike anything I've ever experienced. Especially my choc lab who was a rescue, and abused in her previous life. She couldn't walk on tile, hardwood floors, an elevator, steps, and loud sudden noises caused her to stress so bad she would pee where she stood- not to mention I couldnt touch her. The transformation, trust, and relationship that has been built over the last 3 years is hard to define, as she is now one of the most confident dogs I've seen. [b][u]If you can rescue, do it. It's quite the experience[/u][/b].

Here are my two rascals:
[/quote]

[/quote]

I did not rescue either of my two dogs, but my mom did. She got a puppy that was abused, abandoned, and god only knows what else in it's previous situation. The dog was an absolute basket case when my mom got her. Had separation issues, could barely walk, had hip issues, etc.

That dog has transformed into an incredibly loyal and fun loving dog. She plays with my two dogs where before she would either hide or get aggressive. My mom said she "came with baggage" but watching her transform has been great. You can actually see the dog trusting people and other dogs more and more.

PING 430 Max 10.5 
PING G430 Max 18.5 
PING G430 Max 20.5 
PING i230 4-W DGS300 120
PING Glide 4.0, 50SS / 54SS / 58SS
Axis 1 Joey

I have a 10 year old shepherd named sarge. Got him as a rescue at 1 1/2. He was a mess,afraid of everything. It took patience and a lot of work but he adjusted to his new life and became a part of our family. later in years he developed food allergies. His bag of special dry food is 80.00 a bag. The wet can food is 4.00 a can making a case 100.00. His meds are 130.00 a month. So he costs us about 300.00 a month plus vet visits.

None of this bothers me in the least. That's nothing compared to the enjoyment he brings to my wife and I. I've had many offers to buy him but that would be like selling one of my kids. Life expectancy is 14 years so he has a couple more years left I hope. I cant imagine what that day will be like when we finally lose him.

Handicap 7.7

We have 4 dogs, and like everyone else, I cant imagine life without a dog. I have had dogs since the day I was born (my parents had a dog when I was born, and I've had one all of my life since then). I had a toy fox terrier that we got when I was 11. He was a couple of years old at the time we got him. When I moved out, I took him with me. I had to put him down in November 2007, when he was about 18. It was the worst day of my life that I can remember, but he was miserable. His kidneys had quit working, and he was passing the toxins from his system through drool instead of urine.

In December, we went to the pound to rescue a dog, and my wife fell in love with one. She is some kind of terrier mix. Almost looks like something mixed with Schnauzer. I wanted a big dog, but she insisted on Mila (named her when she saw her). She was not up for adoption yet, as they had just picked her up. A few days later, under protest from me, we went back, I went into the kennel and picked her up. Since that day, that dog has been glued to my hip.

A few months later, a co-worker of my wife had a dog who gave birth to a litter of puppies. Toy fox terrier - Jack russell terrier mix. He found homes for all of them but one, and we ended up taking her in. She was so small, but fearless. I have a picture of her somewhere taking a rope out of Mila's mouth when she was only a couple of months old, and about 1/10 her size. That dog is my wife's shadow. My wife cant go to the bathroom without Foxy following her in there. She has more energy than any animal I have ever seen, and is smarter than all get out.

A few years later (2010 I believe), a dog (Belle) showed up in the pasture across from my house. She looks exactly like a short hair black lab, but is fully grown at about 25 lbs. She would wonder out into the middle of the street, sit down, and proceed to howl and whine until a car drove by, at which time she would make a mad dash for the bushes. When the danger was clear, she was back out again. This went on for a day or two, and I decided to feed her and see if I could get her to come into the yard. I have never seen a dog more terrified of people. She wouldnt come to me for anything, until I went and put Foxy on a leash and brought her out. She came right up to Foxy, but would run when I tried to touch her. I lured her into the back yard with Foxy, and it took several hours before I could snatch her up while she slept. I took her to the vet to have her checked out (didnt want her to have something she could pass on to my dogs). Vet gave her a clean bill of health, and she came back home with me. It was probably a month before we could even get close enough to pet her. She slowly started to trust us a little bit at a time, and now she loves people. She occasionally will snap, if you catch her off guard or try to pet her while she is laying down, but I attribute that to what ever must have happened to her before we found her. My guess is she was abused and dumped in the pasture, left to fend for herself.

A few years ago, a rather large dog (looks just like sefus12's labs, only black) was wondering around my wife's aunts house. He was in pretty rough shape, skin and bones with some sort of skin infection. He was losing hair and had big raw spots. They took him in and took him to the vet. I cant remember what the issue was, but within a year, it was cleared up, and he was fat full and happy. He lived with my mother in law for a good year or so, then she moved into a small apartment. Due to his size (75lbs currently), she couldn't take him. Since we have a 1/2 acre yard, we took him into our family. He is one of the sweetest dogs, but he thinks he is a 5lb lap dog.

Each of them has their own personality. Foxy is the happy-go-lucky type. If you even so much as look at her, her little nubbin (what's left of her tail that they docked before we got her, about 2") starts wagging. Its the funniest thing because it starts out slow, and the closer you get to her, the faster it gets moving. It is usually thumping against the couch, so you can here it. It's hard not to laugh.

Mila is the diva type. She is the princess, and she wants you to know it. She cant be bothered to do certain things, and if one of the dogs is in the recliner with me, she will sit at the foot of the chair and give a howly bark till the other dog gets down so she can claim her spot. When we put the food down, she runs up and eats all of the chewy bits, leaving the hard crunchy bits (presumably with less flavor) for the other dogs. She is also rather lazy.

Belle is a little slow. We think she might be a little bit developmentally challenged, or it could be a result of the abuse she presumably suffered before we got her, but she is also very loving and loyal. She knows that we take care of her, she knows we rescued her, and she is very good at showing her appreciation. Like a cat, she loves to chase laser beams. Every night, before we go to bed, we go outside and she will chase the laser pointer for 20-30 minutes. It helps her sleep, which helps us sleep.

Durango is the gentle giant. He is huge, but he has never so much as even growled at us or the other dogs. He is also needy. He needs to be touched, whether it is petting him, him pawing at you, or just laying on the floor on top of your feet. He needs human interaction at all times. If you are on the couch, not paying attention, before you know it, he is in your lap. My wife, bless her, does not have the physical strength to push him off, so he takes advantage of that.

We do not have children, but the dogs are very much our kids. We include them in our christmas cards that we send out, and they are every bit as much members of our family as other peoples kids are. I would give my life to save them, and they would do the same without hesitation. In many ways, they have saved us already just as much as we have them. Especially Mila, since she was the first after we lost Woody. I would very well imagine that I will always have a dog until I get into bad enough physical shape that I cannot take care of one.

I will post some pics when I get to my computer at home.