2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Bridgestone J40 DPC

benforeagle

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='IamMarkMac' timestamp='1382940335' post='8067427']
Swung these last week at the store and loved ten or so swings I took so looking to pick these up.

I know that the lofts are weaker than the distance irons I'm using but I also noticed that these are more upright than most (up to 1.5 deg). Has anyone tried tweaking the loft and/or lie?
[/quote]

I had mine flattened 3 degrees, I'm short and its worked out just well. Out the box my lofts/lie was spot on except for the 4i which was 1 degree strong and I left it, its hard enough hitting a 4i so might as well get the distance if I do hit it well. I would warn though that who ever does your loft lie work, make sure they test on another club first as the bridgestones are so soft that some machines can actually leave dent marks on the sole of the clubs.

Mizuno JPX 825 10.5°
Mizuno F60 4W , 7W
Bridgestone J40 4H
Bridgestone J40 DPC 5-PW
Vokey 50° , 54° , 58°
Odyssey ProType #5 - for now

• 3 years later...

I have the J40's and have thought of upgrading to newer bridgestone set. Any one comment on the newer sets?

I've been thinking the same thing off and on for a while. But honestly I can't see what a different set would improve for me. The j40s feel amazing, look amazing, and I'm very comfortable with my yardages with them. I do wish I could hit fades easier with the irons sometimes but I know that's just a result of my swing and no iron can fix that. My current set has another year or so of life left and I'll probably just get another set of barely used j40s when the time comes to replace them.

• 8 months later...

It just depends on what you want. They are not the easiest clubs to hit, but by using these irons, it will expose your flaws and teach you to be a better ball striker. There are alot more forgiving irons out there, if you are looking for a forged set of irons you can't go wrong with Bridgetone. If you are looking for a more forgiving forged iron I would recommend looking at the Mizuno JPX Pro irons.

Thanks I'll look into those Mizunos. Problem is I'm becoming a huge Bridgestone enthusiast.

Bridgestones are as easy to hit as anything and I've tried them all. No need to get a shovel for a game improvement club, your game will get better by using players clubs, just do it. When I was a kid 30 years ago, my first set were some old blades, I didn't know what blades or CB's, or game improvements were back then, and persimmon woods, we didn't know anything better and just used them and developed our game (me and my brother). If you want to experiment, grab an old set of Wilson Staff blades and persimmon driver/3 wood and bag them for a few rounds, you will get better...

I am exactly a bogey sometimes a tiny bit better golfer. Are the Bridgestone J40 Dual Pocket Cavity Irons too difficult for mee to hit? I absolutely love the look, I'm just too worried I wouldn"t hit them very well. Anybody have any advice?

Here is my take on this.

Why are you a bogey golfer? If it is because you spray your driver, but you have club head speed of more than 95 (with the driver), go ahead and try the DPC's.

If you are a bogey golfer because you lack club head speed, you would probably be better with an iron that helps achieve distance, like an AP1.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

• 4 weeks later...

J40 DPC has a longer blade length heel to toe than other clubs in this category. They’re not a difficult club to play. Look great too.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

• 4 weeks later...

The first set of irons I played about 30 years ago were an old set of Northwestern blades and a persimmon driver, me and my brother didn't know the difference or what cavity backs were, etc., we just played golf w/ that old stuff. If in question, just buy an old set of blades on the Bay and play a few rounds w/ them and see how your game can develop...pretty cool to try. I have old persimmons I use once in a while too.

I played J40 DPC’s for about 4 years. Pretty forgiving for a forged iron. I don’t buy the hype that you get something harder to hit and it’ll make you a better ball striker, you can work on ball striking with any club. The Bridgestone JGR cavity back irons (not hybrid forged) are a nice forged iron with probably a bit more forgiveness than the J40s.

J40's easy to hit. Just because they don't have plastic stuff all over the back of the club doesn't mean they're harder to hit. Golf industry has gone bonkers with all the designs, especially Titleist. They have like 6 sets of different irons now? And the face of a club is the face of a club.

I play the j40 DPCs, and they are my 2nd favorite iron of all time, but lets not get carried away. They are short. A face of a club is not a face of a club. The CF16 technology that's two years old gives 10-12 yards on the j40s at the same loft and specs.

If you have the clubhead speed to get them airborne, your main issue with irons is distance consistency, and you need help with super-bad lies, the j40 DPCs are awesome. But they are not a hot faced club, and they are pretty short, so they are not for everyone. The Ping G iron series or the Apexes torch the j40s in distance. It depends on the player.

G400 Max 9* Ventus Red 5X, SIM Ventus Red 6X 

Callaway Mavrik 4 (18*) - AW (46*) Project X 5.5

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

J40's easy to hit. Just because they don't have plastic stuff all over the back of the club doesn't mean they're harder to hit. Golf industry has gone bonkers with all the designs, especially Titleist. They have like 6 sets of different irons now? And the face of a club is the face of a club.

I play the j40 DPCs, and they are my 2nd favorite iron of all time, but lets not get carried away. They are short. A face of a club is not a face of a club. The CF16 technology that's two years old gives 10-12 yards on the j40s at the same loft and specs.

If you have the clubhead speed to get them airborne, your main issue with irons is distance consistency, and you need help with super-bad lies, the j40 DPCs are awesome. But they are not a hot faced club, and they are pretty short, so they are not for everyone. The Ping G iron series or the Apexes torch the j40s in distance. It depends on the player.

I think this is more of a swing speed vs design issue. Clubs like the j40 are designed for a lower/penetrating flight. If you have a slower swing speed you'll lose distance on most forged players clubs. Same player in a iron made to have a large sweet spot, higher launch angle, and stronger lofts will gain alot of distance. Take a high swing speed player and the difference will be alot less and the "older" design club will have very respectable distances.

I swung my j40 combo set yesterday for the first time. The j40 dpc's are hands down the most amazing combination of forgiveness and feel. Still a workable club too. Cb's are great also. It's definitely noticeable if you miss the sweet spot. It does seem a lil more forgiving then the mp64s I was playing. But mp64s are absolutely punishing on toe misses which is my tendency. Think I just got knocked of the mizuno wagon lol.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Would think a bogey golfer could handle these pretty well. They are not super game improvement, but the blade length will help. Also, they are incredibly sweet feeling. Think these could satisfy a number of handicaps and would allow you to keep the set as you improve.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond
PXG 0211 (15)

PXG 0211 (19)
PXG Gen 6 0311P 5-AW
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54, 58
Seemore Mini Giant DF

I totally agree w/ PGETZEN, I just used the J40 DPC's today, SUPER easy to hit. Honestly, clubs that are any bigger and "game improvement" aren't really irons, you're entering hybrid range at that point. Like an earlier poster said, learn how to hit them...practice and go for it. Another method I like is to use an old set from generations ago such as an old set of Wilson Staff blades, use them for a few range sessions and a practice round of 9 holes, I believe your iron game would naturally improve. That would just take a financial investment in a spare set of old blades, worse case just sell them back. Good luck.