Ask and you shall receive-The no turn cast drill

MonteScheinblumMonteScheinblum Rebellion GolfSponsors Posts: 18,284 ✭✭

Comments

• pappaf2pappaf2 Members Posts: 3,471 ✭✭
    Great video again Monte! One of my favorites so far.
  • GrapehunterGrapehunter Live and play with passion Members Posts: 1,014
    So from address get wrists set as quickly as possible, then fire right wrist as quickly as possible through impact?
    M1 460 Driver<br /><br /><br /><br /> M1 3 Wood<br /><br /><br /><br /> M1 Hybrid<br /><br /><br /><br /> RSi TP irons PW-4<br /><br /><br /><br /> Edel Wedges 50,55,60<br /><br /><br /><br /> MACHINE M2A Converter Putter<br /><br /><br /><br /> <a href="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1012489-grapehunters-witb/" title="WITB Link" target="_blank">WITB Link</a><br />
  • Optima GolfOptima Golf Members Posts: 166
    Great video. I actually started doing this to help shorten my swing. I always cast my right wrist and on my long overswings, like you said it gets flippy. On my short swings when I do it, I get really crisp ball contact.
  • ShenaniganShenanigan It felt good Members Posts: 16
    It's stupid how well this works and how straight you will hit it. This has cured my sway and lack of turn on the downswing. The only problem is im going to have to get a higher lofted driver if this same ballflight continues. Ive been unintentionally hitting lazer stingers doing this.
  • martin9073martin9073 Members Posts: 206 ✭✭
    thanks a lot for the video..

tried this since you wrote the first time about it and had great results..no overswing, no super deep left elbow (left handed)..swing feels short but very powerful..

so once more, thanks a lot for your great instruction and help!
  • Club junkieClub junkie Powerage Members Posts: 255
    Thanks for another drill video. I tried the wrist set part of this drill (indoors) and it almost seems instinctive to turn. By the way, I didn't think it rained in Southern California.
  • dudewheresmypardudewheresmypar Members Posts: 1,000
    Felt really good when swinging a sandwedge in the livingroom. But then again most all swings without a ball feel good image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

Definitely going to try this next time when I'm on the range though.
  • notsohardnotsohard Members Posts: 735
    great vid, there's $80 worth right there.
  • demclimberdemclimber Members Posts: 276
    I will try it (since I trust Monte), but without swinging it's still hard to believe that those feels produce those results. Pretty cool though.
  • ej002ej002 Guests Posts: 5,129 ✭✭
    I had a different instructor tell me basically the same thing (at least the cast from the top part), because I was getting way behind myself. In my case, I had to drag a closed face through the zone and strangled off any release.
  • juststevejuststeve Members Posts: 4,769 ✭✭
    The body responding to the motion of the club. I like that a lot.

Steve
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Members Posts: 12,047 ✭✭
    Monte

Thanks for doing this video based on comments that come up in my Tin Cup post last week. That's my old backswing at 1:30 in your video !! Club inside, big arm swing and lift with a steep position at the top and the club across the line

Ironically, I did a post earlier this season in which Jim Waldron responded to and it was about a new feel of firing the right side HARD with spine tilt. You also cover this off in this video and your best comment is the part about the overall move being "counter intuitive" .. how true sir .. how true

The season is almost over (as I am on a roll of course) but I have to tell you a few things have changed my game this Fall:

- Gary Woodland athletic posture (no goat humping allowed)

- wider shallower backswing

- Ryan Moore feel to the wrist ****

- firing right hand and side hard from the top while staying behind it

I hit 12 or 14 fwys yesterday and if you throw in fringes .. 13 greens. (It was about 39 here and it hailed twice)

Thanks again
    Ping G400 LST 11* Aldila RIP Phenom 50tx
    Ping G400 5w 16.5* GD AD BB 6s
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* Mitsu KK 80s
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* Mitsu KK 80s
    Ping s55 6-PW Fujikura mci 100s
    Vokey sm2 50* 54* 59* DG s400 Onyx
    Piretti Matera Elite (torched)
  • MonteScheinblumMonteScheinblum Rebellion Golf Sponsors Posts: 18,284 ✭✭

So from address get wrists set as quickly as possible, then fire right wrist as quickly as possible through impact?

Yes
  • jlojlo Members Posts: 609
    juststeve wrote:

Steve

The late Jim Flick taught the same thing but I don't think he explained it the way that Monte did.

Good on you Monte.
  • ej002ej002 Guests Posts: 5,129 ✭✭
    jlo wrote:

juststeve wrote:

Steve

The late Jim Flick taught the same thing but I don't think he explained it the way that Monte did.

Good on you Monte.

Don't think so, I think he advocated a cross over roll. I.e. hit the toe into a tree in the follow through, which would heavily engage the arms. I don't believe that is what Monte is saying at all. I could be wrong though, I was not up to speed with all that Coach Flip taught.
  • eightironeightiron Banned Posts: 3,136
    Funny that Kelley elevated hands controlled pivot to the top and gets bagged on every golf forum , but now it's genius stuff on wrx
    eightiron wrote:

Funny that Kelley elevated hands controlled pivot to the top and gets bagged on every golf forum , but now it's genius stuff on wrx

I think the spiked hair gave me the necessary credibility to pull it off.

Maybe my boyish charm and wit.
  • mgilly200mgilly200 Members Posts: 780 ✭✭
    You sir, are prompt and awesome. Thanks.
    16' M1 Fuji Pro TS 60x
    915f 15* D+ 80x
    915h 19* D+ 90x
    Pro Black CB1 4-PW PX 6.0
    RTX 3 50* S400
    SM6 54*. 58* C Taper 120
    Works Limited #7
  • numbersguy54numbersguy54 Members Posts: 96 ✭✭
    This seems fantastic and (for those that love a good Seinfeld episode) should be dubbed "the Costanza Method" based upon George's notion that since everyone of his instincts seem to be wrong, then doing the opposite of those instincts has to be right. Thanks for all that you contribute Monte.
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]George Costanza: "Every instinct I have, in every part of my life, be it something to wear, something to eat...It's all been wrong."[/font]
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Jerry Seinfeld: "If every instinct you have is wrong, then the opposite would have to be right"[/font]

[font=tahoma, geneva, sans-serif]www.gamegolf.com/player/numbersguy54[/font]
  • scratch72 scratch72 Members Posts: 1,083 ✭✭
    Finally I understand why this has been working for me the last few weeks and its just what comes natural the first time you picked up a golf club, then when you start to study the details of a golf swing everyone says no no no don't do it that way. I think this move is the main reason I really haven't gotten any better and maybe worse than when I first started playing many years ago.

Now If we could just get that chipping using bounce video .
  • SatelliteGuySatelliteGuy Just hit the flippin' ball Members Posts: 4,487
    Good on ya Monte. Thanks for the tip.
    9.5 Opti440 - Fujikura Rombax 5Wo6 X

Taylormade 17.9 4 wood - NVX (X)
    Adams DHY Hybrid X
    Cobra ACP's 4-PW
    MD2's 52/58
    LowTide FIN #5 Custom
  • RafaredRafared Members Posts: 56
    Monte I like this one. Would you recommend this for me having seen my swing on swing fix recently? I think it could be just the right stuff for me.
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Posts: 17,911 ClubWRX
    edited Oct 28, 2013 #25
    I've been trying this in a mini version with shorter pitches/longer chips around the greens and lighter grip pressure, after rewatching Monte on the release and looking at a previous thread, don't have video yet to see what I look like, but it is like being freed up, don't know how else to express it.

I'll give this drill a try with longer pitches.

Thanks.
    Rafared wrote:

Monte I like this one. Would you recommend this for me having seen my swing on swing fix recently? I think it could be just the right stuff for me.

Maybe. Give it a a shot.
  • RafaredRafared Members Posts: 56

Rafared wrote:

Maybe. Give it a a shot.

Thanks Monte. I will give it a go. Have worked on a better wrist set as you suggested anyway so in the ball park of this video anyway.

Thanks again.
  • scratch72 scratch72 Members Posts: 1,083 ✭✭
    I stopped hitting pulls with this move, I thought holding angle and leaving hands behind would stop my pulls but never did. How can hitting from the top stop pulls to pull hooks?
  • wmblake2000wmblake2000 Members Posts: 5,746 ✭✭

I stopped hitting pulls with this move, I thought holding angle and leaving hands behind would stop my pulls but never did. How can hitting from the top stop pulls to pull hooks?

One of the things I saw on video when I tried this was I created more room as a result without even trying to. If you have more room to swing, you will tend to be less steep. Steep = left for me.
    Ping GMax 400 10.5
    Callawy Epic 5W
    Callaway X-hot 3,4 h
    Mizuno FliHi 5 iron
    Mizuno MP4 6-W
    Fourteen mt28v3 50, 54, 58
    Cameron Futura 5W

• sblack5sblack5 Long Armed Monster Members Posts: 2,528
    What would prevent someone who wanted the scoopy bowed right wrist from simply wrenching on the grip and opening the face from the top? I assume that due to the name the idea is to try to cast it?
    hit is with so much authority
    that when you find it
    and it sees you, it is trembling.
  • Jersey golferJersey golfer Members Posts: 445 ✭✭
    Thanks Monte, pure gold!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file