Any 15+ hcps playing mp-60's???

Orlimar1

I went to a couple of golf shops yesterday to try out the mx-23's. They were just "ok" in my book. They actually felt a little harsh me and my golf buddy thought. A salesman had me try the mp-60's and I was very impressed with both the feel and the way the ball left the club face (I hit into a net at both shops.) So while I won't buy these until I have a chance to hit them outside so I can see what the ball is actually doing, I wondered if any other mid-hi cappers have a set of these and their thoughts.

TIA!!

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, I hope you get an answer soon because I've read this post on at least three boards now! :dntknw:

J/K

Generally, I think the 60s are geared to a little bit lower of a handicap and the 23s are geared right at your level. But that doesn't mean much. My handicap usually sucks because I don't play often. But I can actually hit the ball very well at times and am considering a set of 60s myself. I need to find some good demoes before I pull the trigger though. Good luck!

you're right, demo, demo, demo. do not make the mistake i made, i bought a set of mp30's based on hitting into a net at edwin watts, they felt great, but reality set in the first time i played with them. i just could not handle them. it probably would have worked if i would have had the time to practice, but i don't.

PING K15, 10.5*
PING K15, 5w
PING K15, 4 hybrid
PING Gmax, 5-SW
PING G20, LW (bent to 60*)
PING Nome

you're right, demo, demo, demo. do not make the mistake i made, i bought a set of mp30's based on hitting into a net at edwin watts, they felt great, but reality set in the first time i played with them. i just could not handle them. it probably would have worked if i would have had the time to practice, but i don't.

So did you end up selling the 30's? If so did you take a beating on them?

A year or two ago, I was interested in the MP 30's, so I did a demo with them. I was disappointed. I didn't find them easy to hit, and they didn't even feel as soft as I expected. I didn't buy them. Recently, I had a chance to demo the MP-60's, and was initially very impressed. But not trusting an initial response, I did a second demo and was still highly impressed, so I ended up and bought them. The more I play them, the more I appreciate them. They've knocked my Bridgestone J33 Combos out of the bag, which was no easy task.

So did you end up selling the 30's? If so did you take a beating on them?

I finally ended up trading them for PINGS, and i took a beating. i kept them too long trying to make them work.

PING K15, 10.5*
PING K15, 5w
PING K15, 4 hybrid
PING Gmax, 5-SW
PING G20, LW (bent to 60*)
PING Nome

I hit the 60's at the local shop into a simulator... I found they felt crisp off the face and I hit them pretty well. but they are a little weaker than the mx-23s that I am playing now. I may wait until this summer until the supposed MX-23 replacement comes out.

Fish

I was really shocked at how easy it seemed to be to hit these well. Considering the size of the head (compared to my Wilson Deep Red's) and less offset. I'm not too concerned about the distance I might lose. My DR's have very strong lofts on them also compared to the 60's. I figure I'll adjust to it fairly quickly.

Other than the Macho factor I'll be losing by hitting 1 iron more than I'm used to. :dntknw:

They replaced my Fusions, I love em'.

I am at a 16 this year but it is primarily due to my putting.

I would take the time to try every shaft option out there!

Leave the testosterone at home. I am 6'5 265 and very strong however I was properly fitted by 2 different club fitters using high end equipment in addition to static measurements and measured into a R flex.

I chose the Nippon 950's as my joints are not what they use to be in addition to playing at a 1/2 inch over and not crazy about heavy clubs. IMO most golfers end up with a shaft that challenges and hinders their abilitys rather than compliments them.

I would take another look at the 23's. They are solid. I had the same initial impressions you did. Ugly, harsh, etc. I proceeded to cycle through 3 sets of irons over the next 6 months. I then got paired up with a guy who had MX-23's. He was a good golfer, 6ish hdcp. He shot 75 that day, I shot 90 with my MP 30's. He let me hit is 23's a few times that day and the rest is history.

I've had the 23's in the bag for 2 seasons now. I also have a MINT set I got off of ebay for $400 sitting in the closet to serve as backups. I will be playing these clubs for a LONG time...

Why I like them... They are a modern sized clubhead. Good length heel to toe yet aren't huge overall. They have medium offset. Not blade like but also not PING G2 offset. I personally like the Dynalite S-300 shaft. I went back and forth between Dynalite Gold's and Dynamic Gold's and the result was this. Yes, the Dynalites hit the ball higher, never ballooning though. I got on a launch monitor with both and the launch was literally 1 degree different between 6 irons. For me it broke down to swing thoughts. I knew the Dynalites would get the ball in the air so I NEVER have to help the ball up. I swing smooth and down and the ball goes. For some reason, mentally, I would always try and help the ball up with the Dynamic Golds. I knew it was a heavier, stiffer, higher kickpoint shaft and couldn't let it go...

Anyway, just some insight from a 23 user. My handicap at the end of this season was down to 9...

I would take another look at the 23's. They are solid. I had the same initial impressions you did. Ugly, harsh, etc. I proceeded to cycle through 3 sets of irons over the next 6 months. I then got paired up with a guy who had MX-23's. He was a good golfer, 6ish hdcp. He shot 75 that day, I shot 90 with my MP 30's. He let me hit is 23's a few times that day and the rest is history.

I've had the 23's in the bag for 2 seasons now. I also have a MINT set I got off of ebay for $400 sitting in the closet to serve as backups. I will be playing these clubs for a LONG time...

Why I like them... They are a modern sized clubhead. Good length heel to toe yet aren't huge overall. They have medium offset. Not blade like but also not PING G2 offset. I personally like the Dynalite S-300 shaft. I went back and forth between Dynalite Gold's and Dynamic Gold's and the result was this. Yes, the Dynalites hit the ball higher, never ballooning though. I got on a launch monitor with both and the launch was literally 1 degree different between 6 irons. For me it broke down to swing thoughts. I knew the Dynalites would get the ball in the air so I NEVER have to help the ball up. I swing smooth and down and the ball goes. For some reason, mentally, I would always try and help the ball up with the Dynamic Golds. I knew it was a heavier, stiffer, higher kickpoint shaft and couldn't let it go...

Anyway, just some insight from a 23 user. My handicap at the end of this season was down to 9...

awesome dude! i just bought a set last week and i can't wait to try these out................what do you think of the r300 shaft (the other option). hit similar to the s300?

thanks

Thanks Ping. While I thought the 23's were harsh, I'm not at all turned off by there looks. All I had been going by was the feel. I'm determined to try these again. After listening to all these comments I figure I won't end up with a full set of the 60's. Maybe a combo set, or maybe even a full set of the 23's. While all this is confusing, it's still a lot of fun looking at all the possibilities. :dntknw:

You should go to golfclubdemo.com. There you can compare them to other irons both Mizuno and other top brands. If I were you I would look into it.

$25 for one week

Hey Andrew, have you had any experience with the demo program. I don't know anyone that's tried it yet.