GPS or LASER range finder?

samawc

I've used a couple methods of GPS units(my phone wtih golf app and Callaways uPro MX+) along with my friends having a laser finder. I've found that it's easier to use the gps units as you just have to glance down at the screen and don't have to worry about hitting your intended target with a laser. However, that being said, I will eventually purchase a laser device. I have had times where I lost GPS signal, or needed a yardage that wasn't shown on my GPS unit(layups). I just trust the laser more than the GPS units, but having both is probably the way to go(for me at least).

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like my laser range finder for this reason: many times I cannot tell if I am 40 yards, 50 yards, 60 yards or 70 yards from the pin. Big greens can make the hole look closer. If I know exactly that I have 64 yards, I know what length backswing to make with my 56* wedge to hit that shot. It is a confidence thing, and it is nice to know to pretty much the exact yard. I may not be good enough to execute, but my odds go up if i am confident.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

I use sprinkler heads which are included with the green fees. The 100/150/200 yard markers are included as well. If I can't figure it out with those resources, I need to go back to grade school.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/52967-thug-hunters-bag/page__hl__thug+hunter"]WITB Link[/url]

Titleist 915 8.5º D3 Rogue Black 70X
Titleist 915F 16.5º Rogue Black 70X
Titleist 816 H2 21º Diamana 70S
Titleist 712 AP2 3-PW S300
Titleist SM6 52º & 58º Jet Black
Odyssey Black Series Tour Design #2 or #8
Under Armour Storm Match Play stand bag (Blue Marker)

[quote name='samawc' timestamp='1384283166' post='8138284']
Wow, all these posts just confirm my LASER bias, awesome! In my line of work we do find that LASERs are a good source of accuracy when the users are proficient using the equipment... and YOU can TRUST it. Seems that I am sold on the LRF, thanks!

With that said, any recommendations on budget older/used Laser Range Finders that are still relevant and reliable?
[/quote]

I got a used but in great condition bushnell pin seeker 1500. I've used apps in my phone before and the laser just blows it out if the water as far as accuracy is concerned. I really like how big it is (I have sorta large hands) and the heft helps keep it steady when trying to range something over 200+ yards. I have no plans in upgrading anytime soon but if I had to I'd either go bushnell V3 or a leupold gx-3

[quote name='tocino' timestamp='1384323399' post='8141654']
[quote name='samawc' timestamp='1384283166' post='8138284']
Wow, all these posts just confirm my LASER bias, awesome! In my line of work we do find that LASERs are a good source of accuracy when the users are proficient using the equipment... and YOU can TRUST it. Seems that I am sold on the LRF, thanks!

With that said, any recommendations on budget older/used Laser Range Finders that are still relevant and reliable?
[/quote]

I got a used but in great condition bushnell pin seeker 1500. I've used apps in my phone before and the laser just blows it out if the water as far as accuracy is concerned. I really like how big it is (I have sorta large hands) and the heft helps keep it steady when trying to range something over 200+ yards. I have no plans in upgrading anytime soon but if I had to I'd either go bushnell V3 or a leupold gx-3
[/quote]
Thanks man, I think I will be getting a 1500. That is as much as I am willing to pay. I have been using the technique that Thug Hunter approves, but as my game is getting better, I have found more control in my shots to the green. I am hoping accurate readings (I know how far I hit my irons) will help me elevate my game a bit.

SLDR 9.5 with TP Fuel 60S
3W RBZ Stage 2 TP// 5W MacTech (18.5)
3-6 Scratch AR-1V2
7-P Scratch SB-1
Scotty Cameron Golo 5
Ping Tour Gorge 52 & 58 (TS)

Noobie here but thought I would add my 2 cents worth. I had a Skycaddie SG5 which was good but I got tired of the annual sub, the fact the device could only hold 20 courses at a time and I had several experiences where the course layout had changed and the device was rendered utterly useless on some courses. So I switched to the Bushnell V2 laser rangefinder. Great device, easy to use and accurate. However I don't really like having to laser the flag for every shot. On undulating courses with rolling fairways you can also face a lot of blind shots where you can't accurately laser the pin. And whilst it's easy to use from say 150 and closer you need a steady hand from 175 or more and there is also the risk that you laser a tree or mound behind the green rather than the flag. I missed the simplicity and ease of use of the GPS so I recently acquired the Garmin G6 Approach. Great device! 30,000 pre loaded courses worldwide and I have found the accuracy to be very good. I have compared it to the laser and the accuracy is usually spot on. What I like about it is that I can walk up to my ball, glance at the GPS and make my club selection. Just a little quicker and more discrete than having to shoot the pin EVERY shot. Also the Garmin G6 has a touch screen where you can select a layup distance to a safe spot in the fairway which I have found very useful. The laser can only be used for this if there is a feature like a rock or tree you can pick out.

So in summary there are pros and cons to each. I now have both and for ease of use I prefer the GPS. But if the course layout has changed or you can't get satellite signal and for exact distances to the flag the laser wins. Just make sure to carry a spare battery in your bag. The battery sometimes goes dead during the round which could be very annoying if you don't have a spare! (The battery life on the rechargeable Garmin is great BTW)

Cobra King F9  Driver 10.5° Atmos Blue 6 stiff
17° Callaway X Hot 4 wood
20.5°& 23° Cleveland DST Launcher hybrids
Srixon ZX5 5 - PW Modus 105 Regular 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 48°/9° & 52°/11°, RTX 3 58°/9°
Ping Anser Sigma 2 putter

If you can, buy both. I'm a numbers guy by nature and I love information overload. The GPS really shines on new courses where you need to know what distances are to hazards. Also, I like knowing what carry yardage is to the front of green or what it is to the back of the green for better club selection. I only use the laser on very familiar courses or to shoot the exact yardage on an approach shot.

Both units have merit and when used together are an incredible combo.

TSR3 8 Tour AD UB 6

TSR2+ 14.5 Tour AD CQ 7

TSR2 21 Tour AD DI 85

U505 4 Tour AD DI 95

T200 5-6 Steelfiber i110

T150 7-GW Steelfiber i110
Vokey SM10 54F/60M Steelfiber i110
Scotty Cameron Timeless TT Circle T

Pro V1

[quote name='Thug Hunter' timestamp='1384302624' post='8139986']
I use sprinkler heads which are included with the green fees. The 100/150/200 yard markers are included as well. If I can't figure it out with those resources, I need to go back to grade school.
[/quote]

LOL fair enough but my golf sometimes takes me to places on the course where there are no markers much less marked sprinkler heads. Having a GPS saves a lot time looking around for a marker.

Cobra King F9  Driver 10.5° Atmos Blue 6 stiff
17° Callaway X Hot 4 wood
20.5°& 23° Cleveland DST Launcher hybrids
Srixon ZX5 5 - PW Modus 105 Regular 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 48°/9° & 52°/11°, RTX 3 58°/9°
Ping Anser Sigma 2 putter

I like the laser range finder better. GPS is nice but the laser gives you an exact distance to the flagstick. Also, depending on the model of rangefinder, you can shoot the to other landmarks, which us really handy on lay-up shoots.

TaylorMade R11s 9
TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour 14.5
18 & 21 2011 TaylorMade Rescues
Ping Eye 2 5-L

Originally I thought GPS if you play a lot of different courses and laser if you play the same course all the time. But I now believe the GPS is the best regardless of the situation. As I got used to the clubs I needed off of each tee of the course I belong to, I used the GPS less and laser more. All I was really doing is shooting the distance to the pin with the laser. All I would use the GPS for is layup yardages and scorekeeping. I found I became too focused to the yardage to the pin instead of the yardage to where I want to hit the ball to on the green. I put the laser away, went to GPS only and scores went down. My course management for shots to the green was better because I was using my Skycaddie to figure where I wanted to hit the ball instead of aiming for every pin.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5 driver w/ Project X Riptide 50 5.0
Callaway Epic Flash 3, 5, & 7 woods w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 R2-6

Callaway Apex 21 DCB 4 iron w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0 
Callaway Apex 21 5 - AW w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0
Callaway Mack Daddy CB 56 w/ Project X Catalyst 60 5.5
Toulon Design Palm Beach Stroke Lab
Callaway Chrome Soft

• 3 weeks later...

GPS like SkyCaddie is awesome when you play a totally new course. You get the yardage to the bends and hazards. However, as a LONG time SG3 to SkyCaddie SGX owner, I am done with the fees considering I renewed late this last time and they still whacked me with a full year fee...so screw it. Wanna play chinzy with me, you're out SkyCaddie. I am not renewing my SGX anymore and it will be on BST soon.

The route I am taking now is with the Skydroid on my Galazy S4 since it has courses in Australia that I play (to hell with playing for more money to SkyCaddie for that option!).

And I will couple this with the Bushnell Medalist that I use. I don't bother carrying the GPS anymore on the courses I play every weekend but the laser - thats a different story.

So SGX out...in comes Skydroid for $2 and the Medalist stays. By the way, this has AWESOME battery life!

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

[quote name='samawc' timestamp='1384273992' post='8137286']
I am finally going to buy a yardage measuring device. Like many people, I can choose between a GPS or a LASER range finder. Can I get some pros and cons for both? In my line of work, I use both technologies for pinpoint accuracy and I prefers the LASER by a slight margin. Thanks! If you know of any posts that have covered this discussion, could you please post the link? One of the things that I would like answered is wether a LASER range finder is affected by foggy conditions and slight rain or not. In theory it should.
[/quote]GPS watch roll your wrist over get the yardage take your shot , no dicking around. For casual rounds. You may however want the laser for practice rounds leading up to tourneys.

Did I forget to mention I'm an advocate of fast play.

I play a lot by myself and have switched back to the laser instead of my Garmin GPS watch partly to give me a reason to slow down a little. Playing on an empty course, by myself, using the GPS watch I'll tend to scoot around nine holes in an hour and five or ten minutes. That's really moving too fast for me to play at my best. Ideally I play at more like an hour-twenty minute pace.

Sounds funny but that extra 30 seconds to shoot each approach with the laser seems to help me stay on my desired pace.

But if you really want to keep moving right along, you can't beat the Garmin watch.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='TM_HOYER' timestamp='1384616704' post='8157928']
Originally I thought GPS if you play a lot of different courses and laser if you play the same course all the time. But I now believe the GPS is the best regardless of the situation. As I got used to the clubs I needed off of each tee of the course I belong to, I used the GPS less and laser more. All I was really doing is shooting the distance to the pin with the laser. All I would use the GPS for is layup yardages and scorekeeping. I found I became too focused to the yardage to the pin instead of the yardage to where I want to hit the ball to on the green. I put the laser away, went to GPS only and scores went down. My course management for shots to the green was better because I was using my Skycaddie to figure where I wanted to hit the ball instead of aiming for every pin.
[/quote]

I agree with this as well - playing a new course, especially with elevation changes, GPS wins every time. Playing your home course - well, you figure out the yardages pretty quickly.

I'm always more interested in distances to carry and to the front/back/right/left of the greens than to the pin itself, so GPS wins on that. Plus I always have my phone with me, and the laser is one more thing to lose.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='againstthegrain' timestamp='1384302181' post='8139936']
I have both the S1 watch and a rangefinder. I use the rangefinder maybe once or twice a round and for practice. The S1 is more than adequate the vast majority of the time on my home course, if I played lots of places it might be different. Get both!
[/quote]

Same here: an Garmin S2 and a Nikon Laser. Although the GPS might be very precise i rely more on my laser which i use maybe 3 or 5 times a round.

I'm a both guy now--just recently got the rangefinder so sometimes I use the GPS to verify what I'm seeing. For me just looking at the SGX to find a distance off the tee or in the fairway is great, but I wanted something to give me a good number for into the pin.

9° Titleist TSi2 HZRDUS Smoke RDX 60 6.5
15° Titleist TSi2 HZRDUS Smoke RDX 70 6.0
19° PXG 0317 X Gen 2 Fujikura Pro 2.0 HB 85S
22° PXG 0317 X Gen 2 Fujikura Pro 2.0 HB 85S
5-PW Srixon ZX5 Project X LZ 6.5
Artisan Golf 50/54/58 Project X LZ 6.5
Artisan Golf 0418

Why not get the best of both worlds? I bought a Bushnell Hybrid rangefinder this past year and I love it. It has both a GPS on the side and a laser rangefinder, but it does not give you slope. If you can live with no slope, it's a great rangefinder. Although it will cost you an arm and a leg, I think it's definitely worth it.

For your convenience, I provided a link to Mark Crossfield's review of the Hybrid Rangefinder.

http://youtu.be/vCiRVCioAZ0

Titleist TSR3 10.5° Graphite Design AD-UB 5

Titleist TSR3 16.5° Graphite Design AD-UB 7

Titleist TSR2 21° Graphite Design AD-UB 8

Taylormade P790 4 - PW Dynamic Gold 105

Titleist Vokey SM8 50° Dynamic Gold 105
Titleist Vokey SM9 54°, 58° KBS Hi-Rev 2.0

Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2

I prefer laser due to the flexibility of picking different targets to measure. Not sure if accuracy is a big difference, but i've found gps to be a bit too limited. played with a guy a few months back that had a device that did both - seemed like a good solution to look into.

913 D3
Rballz 2 Pro 3 wood & 3 Hyb
Yururi Blades
Yururi Raw Wedges
Bettinardi SS 15

I use both on new courses. Mostly to spot hidden hazards. I use the laser on the courses I've played before. GPS wasn't working when traveling abroad, but that can easily be blamed on the user not the unit. Laser is my choice by far for the majority of the golf I play.

Titleist 915 D4 Aldila Rogue 125 70TX
3 wood PXG 341 True Temper HZRDUS 75X
2 iron 716 TMB TTDG AMT X100
4-9 Epon AF-302 TTDG AMT ti X100
Vokey 46F, 50F, 54S, 60L TTDG ti S400
SC Circle T 009 Brushed Black Pearl 350g

[quote name='paul1406' timestamp='1388902311' post='8401015']
I use the laser on the courses I've played before...

Laser is my choice by far for the majority of the golf I play.
[/quote]

I play about 100 rounds a year at my home course and about 20 rounds a year elsewhere. Honestly, if every day were a tournament day and they handed out detailed pin sheets I might not even need to use my laser. Much less need a GPS.

I know the course well enough to guess within a few yards how far to the center of the green for 90% of my shots. Basically the laser is telling me where the flag is relative to that middle-of-green yardage.

But our greens are large and some of them have ridges and "sections" that make it crucial to be on the correct quadrant of the green. Without a pin sheet (which I never have) the laser is valuable. GPS would be useless for that information which is why I sold off my GPS watch and went back to using my ancient Bushnell Medalist (1st generation).