2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Starting a new adventure . . . Minimalist Golf

student of the game

[quote name='dplasters' timestamp='1384535142' post='8153662']
[quote name='student of the game' timestamp='1384534626' post='8153620']
[quote name='Bobtrumpet' timestamp='1384533919' post='8153556']
[quote name='RRFireblade' timestamp='1384529097' post='8153136']
I play most of my early golf with 3,5,7,9 3w, driver, putter as a 'full' set.
[/quote]

That's what I started with in jr. high. I'm thinking about going back to it. I may add a wedge (and a 3h instead of 3i).
[/quote]

With today's technology I say knock out the driver all together it is one of the most limited use clubs in our bags as far as I am concerned and today's 3 woods are so hot and forgiving. thoughts?
[/quote]

Only if you can hit a 3/4 at least 240/250. Gotta be able to get around that distance off the tee or you're going to have to move up a tee box... or have an unbelievable short game.
[/quote]

I have no issue hitting my 4 wood 240 all day long, I can on occasion muscle it out to 260+ . . . just my personal abilities and preferences

Cobra Speedzone (8.0D) w/ Aldila Rogue 60x

Cobra Speedzone Big Tour 3 (13.5) w/ aldila Rogue 70x

Cobra Forged Tec Utility 2 (17.5) w/ $-Taper Lite X

Cobra CB/MB 4-PW w/ $-Taper Black X

Cobra MIM Black Wedge 50 degree V Grind w/ TT Tour Issue x100

Cobra MIM Black Wedge 54 degree V Grind w/ TT Tour Issue X100

Cobra MIM Black Wedge 58 degree WL Grind w/ TT Tour Issue S400

Odyssey Stroke Lab 1 Wide 34"

[quote name='RRFireblade' timestamp='1384535549' post='8153682']
[quote name='student of the game' timestamp='1384532652' post='8153436']
[quote name='RRFireblade' timestamp='1384529097' post='8153136']
I think you'll be fine, it's really only minimalist by golfwrx standards :)

I play most of my early golf with 3,5,7,9 3w, driver, putter as a 'full' set.

I do a 3 club challenge a couple times a year, that's minimal.

Have fun either way, that's all the matters.
[/quote]

We did a 3,2,1 tournament in our Game Improvement class played 3 rounds taking out 1 club each round was a hole lot of fun but playing 6800 yards with nothing but a 7 iron was pretty difficult. What is your 3 club set up?
[/quote]

3W, 7I, Wedge.
[/quote]

Nice I went 3 iron, 7 iron, 56 Degree Wedge.

The guy that one went 7 iron, Sand Wedge and putter. It was really interesting playing with him and watching thin 7 irons 220 plus off the tee.

[quote name='Jack Pearsall' timestamp='1384535734' post='8153694']
Whatshisface played with garden tools...just saying...
[/quote]

Lol tin cupping it is deffinately appealing, but the swing weights are all way off on my shovel and rake couldn't seem to sink a put with my hoe, may need to adjust the loft and lie

Tons of options, all make you think, all are fun.

I can putt with a 3w better than I can wedge a 7i and I hit a 7i reliably anywhere between 100y and 200y. Pretty much covers most of the bases. Most guys think they must have at least a putter, big mistake more often than not but you never know. ;)

XRP 8.5* XS
XRP #3 XS
Cally Apex MB 3i-9i PX 7.0
Cally MD3 52*/56*/60*
Scotty Studio Select Custom

[quote name='RRFireblade' timestamp='1384536258' post='8153746']

I can putt with a 3w better than I can wedge a 7i and I hit a 7i reliably anywhere between 100y and 200y. Pretty much covers most of the bases. Most guys think they must have at least a putter, big mistake more often than not but you never know. ;)
[/quote]

So what is the minimum number of clubs that you would play? and whats the set up look like, I am intrigued by the no putter idea

Ok so all of this talk of less than 7 clubs has me even more intrigued. So I am wondering what you would play given the following club limit (Ive included my thoughts)

7 Clubs

4 wood, 4 iron, 6 iron, 8 iron, PW, Sand Wedge, Putter

5 clubs (6 just seems like a weird number to me)

4 wood, 4 iron, 8 iron, Sand Wedge, Putter

3 Clubs

4 iron, 8 iron and Sand Wedge

1 Club

Old reliable 7 iron

Lets hear what wild and wonderful set ups the WRX community can come up with

[quote name='student of the game' timestamp='1384537002' post='8153798']
[quote name='RRFireblade' timestamp='1384536258' post='8153746']

[/quote]

So what is the minimum number of clubs that you would play? and whats the set up look like, I am intrigued by the no putter idea
[/quote]

For like a realistic Sunday carry bag?

Hmm, I think I'd go 3w, Putter, Wedge....then I could probably be happy with 4,6,8 or maybe 3,6,9 ?

XRP 8.5* XS
XRP #3 XS
Cally Apex MB 3i-9i PX 7.0
Cally MD3 52*/56*/60*
Scotty Studio Select Custom

In my eyes putter is just too important to take out of the bag. It is the only clubs that you will use an all 18 holes (barring a hole out). Interested in people putting with wedges but I think if you are truly trying to shoot the lowest score you can with the fewest clubs putter has got to be in there

I will do this at least 6 - 10 times a year. I just pull out every other club and there is my 7 clubs. I like to walk and carry the bag is nice and light like this.

It really does force you to be creative and not so perfectionistic. I also leave my range finder in the car as well. That is the single hardest piece of equipment to do without. But pacing off is easy and hell I never have the correct club in my hand so it is all good. Scores not do suffer at all.

Ping Rapture V2
Ping G15, four wood
Callaway X hot pro 20* hybrid
Ping G25 - 4 to PW
Callaway X tour 50*' 54* & 58*
Scotty newport

[quote name='502 to Right' timestamp='1384553538' post='8155118']
I don't see the point.
[/quote]

Does the challenge of this not appeal to you?

people would play better, and swing more within themselves, if they had less clubs in the bag imo. you have to use feel to get the ball the right distance because of the gaps, and that promotes smooth swings, and smooth swings promote better technique... and it all just snowballs into better scores. Honestly, it's amazing.

----------------
Golf Jobs
Driver: Titleist TS3 9.5 w/ Tensei Blue 55 S
3W: Titleist 915F 15 w/ Diamana D+ 80 S
3H: Titleist 915H 21 w/ Diamana D+ 90 S
Irons: 4-GW Titleist T100 w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Wedge: Vokey SM8 54.10S TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Wedge: Vokey SM8 60.04L TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Ball: 2021 Titleist ProV1

spacer.png

[quote name='erock9174' timestamp='1384527566' post='8153008']
Guess I don't see the point in this "minimalist" setup. Is it to reduce weight? To speed up play? Just to say I shot sub 80 with 5 clubs ? Etc? I think this came is tough enough with 14. Lol Heck i would love to carry 16 If I was allowed. I'd also throw in a thriver type club for tee only shots and a 64* wedge
[/quote]

It used to be called "taking fewer clubs and having fun", until some golf hipsters wanted to attach a moniker to it for cachet value.

For the record I take fewer clubs when playing a late afternoon 9 and want to lighten the load when carrying and other times to work on knock down shots and the like, there is no need to have the extra clubs for making full shots.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

[quote name='golfpros1' timestamp='1384558887' post='8155442']
people would play better, and swing more within themselves, if they had less clubs in the bag imo. you have to use feel to get the ball the right distance because of the gaps, and that promotes smooth swings, and smooth swings promote better technique... and it all just snowballs into better scores. Honestly, it's amazing.
[/quote]

Exactly what I am hoping for in terms of trying this out

[quote name='jerryo' timestamp='1384560441' post='8155552']
Buzzkill has a very nice minimal setup over in the WITB forum. He posted pics and all just a couple days ago.
[/quote]

Just stumbled across that bag when looking through the WITB forums pretty awesome IMO

[quote name='Muddler' timestamp='1384569837' post='8156336']
It only counts as minimalist if you're barefoot. Beginners are allowed to wear moccasins.
[/quote]

Used to play barefoot all the time up at the small mom and pop course I played all the time. It seems to get some funny looks around high end public courses and just straight up kicked off alot of private clubs. I am thinking of trying out Vibrams this season becasue I want to get as close to that bare foot feeling as I can. Do you play barefoot?

Today: driver, 3-wood, 5-wood, 4-hybrid, 6-iron, 8-iron, PW, SW, putter.

It was cold, so I definitely needed to walk and carry. But here is the thing - I played great and didn't miss the clubs that I left in the car. I play with a limited set most of the time, and being able to take something off a full swing is part of playing good golf, in my humble opinion.

I am playing with a set up like this all the time. As a 7-handicap, it is all that I need, and it is just plain easier. Plus, I need the exercise.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

Everything got shipped today hoping it will be in on Monday and I can start getting everything glued up

I have been playing with a 'smaller' set for the last yr. 3w, 5-pw, 56*, putter. Same scores as 14 clubs. Lighter to carry and on the wallet. :smilie_ping:

Ping Hoofer Lite

Mizuno ST Max 9.5*

Mizuno ST Max 3/7W

Mizuno ST Max 5/6H

Mizuno 243 7-GW

Mizuno T24 54/S, 58/D

Mizuno OMOI #2

Mizuno RB Tour

Super Bowl LII Champions Fly Eagles Fly! 🦅

[quote name='Golf64' timestamp='1384618197' post='8158000']
I have been playing with a 'smaller' set for the last yr. 3w, 5-pw, 56*, putter. Same scores as 14 clubs. Lighter to carry and on the wallet. :smilie_ping:
[/quote]

Do you think that there is anymore clubs you could take out of the bag while still maintaining your scores?

I LOVE doing this... and wish I would do it more but I sometimes feel I owe it to my other clubs and my big Hoofer bag to take them out on the course. I walk with 14 clubs all the time but I REALLY enjoy the fun of a Sunday bag and 1/2 a set of clubs.

I usually carry a driver, 7w, 6h, 9, and some wedges and putter. I've got the bag set for my next walk as 3w, 6h, 7,8,9,w,uw, putter... basically left overs after getting some new clubs this year.

A nice walk with a Ping Moonlite and a handful of clubs, tees, and balls is a great way to golf. Easy to carry in the car when I'm away on work too.

Bag: Ping Hoofer Camo / Moonlite Driver: TM SIM2 Max 9* Hybrids: Cobra RAD Speed 19* & 25* Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-SW Wedge: KZG Forged TRS Grind 60* Putter: SGC WB Northwood Lovingly built by: Dan's Custom Golf

[quote name='student of the game' timestamp='1384572046' post='8156502']
[quote name='Muddler' timestamp='1384569837' post='8156336']
It only counts as minimalist if you're barefoot. Beginners are allowed to wear moccasins.
[/quote]

Used to play barefoot all the time up at the small mom and pop course I played all the time. It seems to get some funny looks around high end public courses and just straight up kicked off alot of private clubs. I am thinking of trying out Vibrams this season becasue I want to get as close to that bare foot feeling as I can. Do you play barefoot?
[/quote]

Naw. I was just being facetious. I find the lower the better though. I go with flatish spikeless shoes and much prefer it to spikes.

Srixon Z355 - Miyazaki
Taylormade V-Steel 4-wood
Taylormade V-Steel 7-wood
Adams CB3 - KBS Tour 90
Wilson Staff FG TC 56/60
Yes Callie - bunch of lead tape on the bottom

I am a big fan of minimalist golf and have been shedding clubs over the past few years. I am currently at 9 clubs and my scores have not suffered at all, in fact I am a couple of strokes better than my past average though I don't keep an official handicap.

I just know that I am confident with every club in the bag and that makes a huge difference when standing over a shot.

I think I could go down to 7 or 8 clubs and be just fine, but 9 fit comfortably in the bag and walking and carrying for 18 holes is no problem, so going with fewer would be just to prove an unnecessary point!

MY WITB is fairly up to date. That has the max clubs I am currently carrying.....

[quote name='9woodfan' timestamp='1384620300' post='8158102']
I LOVE doing this... and wish I would do it more but I sometimes feel I owe it to my other clubs and my big Hoofer bag to take them out on the course. I walk with 14 clubs all the time but I REALLY enjoy the fun of a Sunday bag and 1/2 a set of clubs.

I usually carry a driver, 7w, 6h, 9, and some wedges and putter. I've got the bag set for my next walk as 3w, 6h, 7,8,9,w,uw, putter... basically left overs after getting some new clubs this year.

A nice walk with a Ping Moonlite and a handful of clubs, tees, and balls is a great way to golf. Easy to carry in the car when I'm away on work too.
[/quote]

What make/model of 6H do you carry?

[quote name='erock9174' timestamp='1384527566' post='8153008']
Guess I don't see the point in this "minimalist" setup. Is it to reduce weight? To speed up play? Just to say I shot sub 80 with 5 clubs ? Etc? I think this came is tough enough with 14. Lol Heck i would love to carry 16 If I was allowed. I'd also throw in a thriver type club for tee only shots and a 64* wedge
[/quote]

I played yesterday with driver, 3-wood, 5-wood, 4-hybrid, 6, 8-iron, PW, SW, putter in a Swift-X carry bag. Played just fine, shot my usual score. Golf is walking, not riding in a cart. Club selection for second shots, third on par 5's, was super easy. I used my eye and yardage markers to figure out club selection. It was easy to play fast.

In my humble opinion, most golfers have far too many clubs for their ability level. They over-think shots and club selection. Play is slow, and since they ride in carts, they get little exercise. We are a sedentary, self-indulgent generation.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse