Starting a new adventure . . . Minimalist Golf

student of the game

[quote name='parpar41' timestamp='1384649264' post='8159706']
[quote name='9woodfan' timestamp='1384620300' post='8158102']
I LOVE doing this... and wish I would do it more but I sometimes feel I owe it to my other clubs and my big Hoofer bag to take them out on the course. I walk with 14 clubs all the time but I REALLY enjoy the fun of a Sunday bag and 1/2 a set of clubs.

I usually carry a driver, 7w, 6h, 9, and some wedges and putter. I've got the bag set for my next walk as 3w, 6h, 7,8,9,w,uw, putter... basically left overs after getting some new clubs this year.

A nice walk with a Ping Moonlite and a handful of clubs, tees, and balls is a great way to golf. Easy to carry in the car when I'm away on work too.
[/quote]

What make/model of 6H do you carry?
[/quote]

I have a Ping K15 6 hybrid. I grabbed a set of Rapture V2 irons off a friend and they stopped at a 7 iron. Picked up the 6 hybrid just to carry on the set since buying an actually V2 6 iron was almost as much. It's been one of my favourite clubs ever since. It's in the sunday bag and in my Hoofer I carry a i20 6 iron and then a K15 5 hybrid.

In true GolfWRX fashion tho I want to try out the G25 hybrid and perhaps change the Tour-S wedges from 52,56,60,64 to just 54 and 58.

Bag: Ping Hoofer Camo / Moonlite Driver: TM SIM2 Max 9* Hybrids: Cobra RAD Speed 19* & 25* Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-SW Wedge: KZG Forged TRS Grind 60* Putter: SGC WB Northwood Lovingly built by: Dan's Custom Golf

This thread has inspired me. Tomorrow or Monday I'm going to ride down to my course with my Sunday bag. Plan on taking driver, 3h, 5, 7, 9, 52*, 60* and putter. Honestly, I see no reason that my scores will suffer. I shoot in the 80's and it was an average day. So we'll see what happens. I'll report back on the round if anyone cares

Ping G15 10.5* w/ Prolaunch Red S
Ping G15 18.5* w/ Prolite fairway X
Ping G10 21* w/ Oban Revenge S
Ping i15 4-W w/ PX satin 6.0
Ping Tour S 52* & 56*, Eye 2 60*
Ping Anser 2 Pat. Pending Black satin

Which would you guys rather have after the hybrid: 5,7,9,52*,60* or 4,6,8,PW,56*? If I do even numbers I feel like I would need the 4 for punch shots, but I could hood the 5 iron and then have the benefits of two wedges. Or maybe just 4,6,9,56*. I don't know. Too many combinations. Who knew making the game simpler could be so complicated?

Ping G15 10.5* w/ Prolaunch Red S
Ping G15 18.5* w/ Prolite fairway X
Ping G10 21* w/ Oban Revenge S
Ping i15 4-W w/ PX satin 6.0
Ping Tour S 52* & 56*, Eye 2 60*
Ping Anser 2 Pat. Pending Black satin

[quote name='Towelieeee' timestamp='1384654942' post='8160010']
This thread has inspired me. Tomorrow or Monday I'm going to ride down to my course with my Sunday bag. Plan on taking driver, 3h, 5, 7, 9, 52*, 60* and putter. Honestly, I see no reason that my scores will suffer. I shoot in the 80's and it was an average day. So we'll see what happens. I'll report back on the round if anyone cares
[/quote]
[quote name='Towelieeee' timestamp='1384657290' post='8160148']
Which would you guys rather have after the hybrid: 5,7,9,52*,60* or 4,6,8,PW,56*? If I do even numbers I feel like I would need the 4 for punch shots, but I could hood the 5 iron and then have the benefits of two wedges. Or maybe just 4,6,9,56*. I don't know. Too many combinations. Who knew making the game simpler could be so complicated?
[/quote]

Glad that the thread has inspired you and keep us up to date with how the experiment turns out.

For me it came down to what my favourite clubs is to hit from 140-150 out which is PW. The way I look at it is this is the club I am hoping to have in my hand going at the green.

Cobra Speedzone (8.0D) w/ Aldila Rogue 60x

Cobra Speedzone Big Tour 3 (13.5) w/ aldila Rogue 70x

Cobra Forged Tec Utility 2 (17.5) w/ $-Taper Lite X

Cobra CB/MB 4-PW w/ $-Taper Black X

Cobra MIM Black Wedge 50 degree V Grind w/ TT Tour Issue x100

Cobra MIM Black Wedge 54 degree V Grind w/ TT Tour Issue X100

Cobra MIM Black Wedge 58 degree WL Grind w/ TT Tour Issue S400

Odyssey Stroke Lab 1 Wide 34"

[quote name='nova6868' timestamp='1384707506' post='8162088']
Cool thread, very interesting.

I also find it hilarious that you had to purchase all new clubs for the "minimalist" experience. Sounds like something I would do.
[/quote]

It wouldnt be wrx if I didn't. I also plan on building these irons 1/2" over standard which will allow me more options as far as throttling one or choking down. I also didnt mention in this thread that I have a whole new bag coming with these irons at the same time.

If this were a challenge about cutting down the stable I would fail miserably

i think (and have thought about as I play winter league and you have to carry in that) That they way to go, is have your irons bent, to 6 degree gaps.

so its 58 and 52 wedges, 46pw, 40 34 28 then 22ish hybrid, 16.5 4 wood, driver and putter.

Its ten clubs, but i think it covers all yardages nicely, you could swap out the 58 and 52 for a 56, and ditch the driver, but im not long enough to give up the bigdog, and my wedge play is the best part of my game.

Neil

Mizuno Mp630
Xhot 3 deep 14.5
SLDR 17 deg hybrid
Ping g15 20 deg hybrid
Callaway XR pro 5 - pw
callaway X forged 48
Callway X tour 52 & 58
Nike Method Mod 90

[quote name='xxjonesyxx' timestamp='1384715133' post='8162568']
i think (and have thought about as I play winter league and you have to carry in that) That they way to go, is have your irons bent, to 6 degree gaps.

so its 58 and 52 wedges, 46pw, 40 34 28 then 22ish hybrid, 16.5 4 wood, driver and putter.

Its ten clubs, but i think it covers all yardages nicely, you could swap out the 58 and 52 for a 56, and ditch the driver, but im not long enough to give up the bigdog, and my wedge play is the best part of my game.

Neil
[/quote]

I think getting below 10 clubs is really where it starts to get tough. When I started to look at this I got to 10 clubs without much issue but after that is where I really had to think about things

I shot my best round ever at Kempsville Greens golf course in Virginia Beach in June 1993 using 7 clubs. My regular clubs were stolen at a local course early in late January that year. I had a full bag of Pings (mostly). I was really bummed out, and quit the game altogether for a few months. I drove by a yard sale one day in late May and saw that the driveway had a bunch of golf bags and clubs. It turned out that the old guy was a hobbiest club builder. While I was poking around his club assortment, he approached me and told me that I looked familiar. I told him my story about my clubs being stolen and he didn't say much in response. I picked through everything he had out there and finally pieced together a basic set to play a few late 9 holers after work. I pulled out my wallet to pay the guy, but he just waved me me off. He said...... "Take em" & have fun. I tried to refuse the hand out, but he wouldn't budge. I started playing a few holes each night at the Norfolk Naval Base at the free 9 hole course on the air field side of the base. It felt good to out on the course again and I couldn't believe how steady I was playing with this "hodge podge" set. After a few weeks I rejoined my normal group of navy pals and we had booked 2 tee times set at Kempsville Greens. I showed up at the course with the typical ([i]friendly[/i]) vulgar greetings, and they almost instantly started making remarks over my bag of clubs. I ended the day 2 over on the front and 3 under on the back. It ended up being one of those rounds that will always stay with me because of some "great shipmates" and the constant verbal abuse we were chucking at each other during the round.

[u][b]Set make up :[/b][/u]

[u][b]3-5-7-9 :[/b][/u] Spalding Top Flite Executive (old forged irons made in the 1960's) I had them bent 2 degrees upright

[u][b]3W[/b][/u] : Lynx Liberty (wood laminated head)

[u][b]SW:[/b][/u] Wilson JP II 55 degree

[u][b]Putter:[/b][/u] Arnold Palmer ( The Original)

I played with that set for the rest the year and ended up posting quite a few nice rounds in the low 70's. I ended up buying a new set in the spring of 1994 when my tax return came in. It is funny how a real bummer turned into one of my most fun years playing this crazy game. I became close friends with the old guy who sold me the clubs. We spent many nights in his garage hiding our beers from his wife, and tweeking golf clubs. [i](she always knew anyways :)[/i] He passed away a 4 years ago.

Beers to you "Jack" ......... You are missed.

• Like 1

[quote name='Towelieeee' timestamp='1384657290' post='8160148']
[/quote]

There is an older guy here who plays practically every day in the summer. He plays the odd numbered irons one day, the even numbered ones the next.

Lately I have been playing the even numbers. Last year I played the odd numbers.

You'll figure out what works best for you.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

[quote name='student of the game' timestamp='1384717856' post='8162740']
[quote name='xxjonesyxx' timestamp='1384715133' post='8162568']

Neil
[/quote]

I think getting below 10 clubs is really where it starts to get tough. When I started to look at this I got to 10 clubs without much issue but after that is where I really had to think about things
[/quote]

Thats very true, I only play 12 in my full set now, the set I listed I believe I would score exactly the same, going below ten though I think would cost me shots, not many, maybe one a round or so, but enough....

Neil

Mizuno Mp630
Xhot 3 deep 14.5
SLDR 17 deg hybrid
Ping g15 20 deg hybrid
Callaway XR pro 5 - pw
callaway X forged 48
Callway X tour 52 & 58
Nike Method Mod 90

[quote name='erikro' timestamp='1384725791' post='8163272']
The US Open was once won by someone using 7 clubs. I never use more than 12 clubs with my "full" bag.
[/quote]

That was Chick Evans. In 1916, he won both the US Open and the US Amateur with 7 clubs. He also won the US Amateur in 1920. Played his whole career with 7 clubs.

Harry Vardon won 6 Open Championships and 1 US Open with 9.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

We have to use a ride cart on my course so next year I'm going to just bring 20 hybrid, 8i, SW, putter and a small bag over my shoulder with balls, tees, water. I'm carry the four clubs over my shoulder and go (I'll sit on the cart for the first hole only). Score doesn't matter - it's to have fun and see how creative I can be.

Wilson Deep Red II Tour (9.0)
King Cobra SZ (15.5), G10 HY (18, 21, 24)
MP-32 5i - 9i, Vokey SM5 50, 54 (F), 58 (M)
Rife Aussie

So I have been using the minimalist golf bag for a bit. My scores have only dropped. I've hit better shots and have played more consistently. Do NOT drop the driver. It now becomes the second most important club in your bag (based off of amateur statistics).

My suggestion is to look at gaps. Forget about the number on the bottom of the club. I played a 4i, 6i, 9i, pw (ping s59) and vokey 56. Along with a driver and putter.

The thing is, YOU MUST practice with this type of bag. It's not what u miss out in with ur approach shots. It's around the green.

I love this site but a lot of these posters only spit out what golf channel tells them about. Pros use a lot of different clubs around the greens.

Fewer clubseams less options around the greens. Keeps that in mind (not to warn u off) if u like using a 7i around the fringe and u go w a 6i it will act differently. Look at Freddie couples. A lot of "alternative" short game shots, successful , just in a different way.

[quote name='Ivyguy' timestamp='1384747143' post='8165028']
So I have been using the minimalist golf bag for a bit. My scores have only dropped. I've hit better shots and have played more consistently. Do NOT drop the driver. It now becomes the second most important club in your bag (based off of amateur statistics).

My suggestion is to look at gaps. Forget about the number on the bottom of the club. I played a 4i, 6i, 9i, pw (ping s59) and vokey 56. Along with a driver and putter.

The thing is, YOU MUST practice with this type of bag. It's not what u miss out in with ur approach shots. It's around the green.

I love this site but a lot of these posters only spit out what golf channel tells them about. Pros use a lot of different clubs around the greens.

Fewer clubseams less options around the greens. Keeps that in mind (not to warn u off) if u like using a 7i around the fringe and u go w a 6i it will act differently. Look at Freddie couples. A lot of "alternative" short game shots, successful , just in a different way.
[/quote]

I completely agree with your thought about shots around the green that is one of the reasons that I wanted to have my 8 iron and SW in my bag. These are teh two clubs that I am most comfortable with around the green.

I am curious though as to why you feel taking driver out of the bag is a big mistake? What distance do you hit driver?

Question for you guys,

Just got to thinking about the golf ball in a set up like this. Would you consider changing to a different ball maybe something a little more distance oriented but still with some level of spin? The reason I ask this is because I am thinking because I am a high spin/high ball hitter by nature I am considering going from pro v1's and pro v1 x's to either a bridgestone e6 which I have played for small periods of time with lots of success or the titleist velocity's as I have heard some good stuff about this ball

THOUGHTS?

[quote name='student of the game' timestamp='1384784131' post='8166180']

[/quote]

I completely agree with your thought about shots around the green that is one of the reasons that I wanted to have my 8 iron and SW in my bag. These are teh two clubs that I am most comfortable with around the green.

I am curious though as to why you feel taking driver out of the bag is a big mistake? What distance do you hit driver?
[/quote]

I am a fairly long driver (I'm 6'4" so the tall frame helps a bit) so I would guess I average a 280-ish drive, but it's the fact that I hit A LOT of fairways. I think if u are going to make something a priority withy the minimalist golf bag it would be to play from "typical" lies as often as possible.

A hold off six iron into the wind is already a difficult shot when trying to use that shot shape to get that club into a particular yardage, but doing it from a goofy lie because u air mailed a fairway just makes it that much more difficult.

[quote name='Ivyguy' timestamp='1384807733' post='8168162']

[/quote]

[/quote]

I am a fairly long driver (I'm 6'4" so the tall frame helps a bit) so I would guess I average a 280-ish drive, but it's the fact that I hit A LOT of fairways. I think if u are going to make something a priority withy the minimalist golf bag it would be to play from "typical" lies as often as possible.

A hold off six iron into the wind is already a difficult shot when trying to use that shot shape to get that club into a particular yardage, but doing it from a goofy lie because u air mailed a fairway just makes it that much more difficult.
[/quote]

I am a long ball hitter too which makes is the whole reason I am taking driver our of the bag. I can hit my 4 wood 240-250 on average and it the center cut. Why would I trade 30 yards on average for having a club that I can hit off the fairway when I need to cover more than 200 yards (a 4 iron for me). I plan on playing the courses I normally play from the tees I normally play so I know there will be lots of opportunity to hit the 4 wood off the deck.

I guess its to each his own this is just my thinking on the matter.

Maybe its not a bad idea to play a minimalist bag with a small older driver like a 975d where is it possible to hit it from the fairway when you need it. Just another random idea

Well I picked up the package containing all of the new clubage and the package with all of my grips today while at work. I will try to get some pictures up tonight as I unpackage things. Bag should be here tomorrow I think.

I am way too excited about this!!!

I have a "half bag" that I use for practice rounds and quick 9-holers. It's driver,4i,6i,8i,PW,GW,SW, putter. I'll trade out the even numbered irons for odd numbered irons once in a while, just to keep from wearing out one group. Mizuno Aerolite Micro carries them all wonderfully. I just like the challenge of creating shots.

I also leave the range finder in the car. Keeps the sense of feel in tune.

Playing like this reminds me of why I love the game. Pure shot-making. Not thinking about a score, just "what's the best way to get it in the hole from here?"

• Like 1

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

Each year my home course has a couple of "6 club" events. Most everyone playing, including the 0 and plus handicap guys, shoot the same scores they do with a bag of 14 clubs.

Yonex ezone 380 10* Rexis M-1 shaft
Cleveland Mashie hybrid 15.5* Miyazaki
Cleveland Mashie hybrid 20.5* Miyazaki
Ping S56 4-9 Nippon 950 steel shaft
Ping Gorge 47*, 52* ,56* Nippon 950
KZG 100% milled center shaft putter

[/quote]

I am curious though as to[b] why you feel taking driver out of the bag is a big mistake[/b]? What distance do you hit driver?
[/quote]

I think that if you can hit your driver pretty well, that is one of the biggest joys in golf. I play with a half set all the time, but I would never leave my driver out of the bag. A good player needs a driver, wedge and putter that they can count on. If you don't have these clubs, it is imperative that you find ones that work. Maybe that is a strong 3-wood if the consistency is there (I'm thinking Phil Mickelson at this year's Open Championship), or maybe you need a lofted driver. Having a "play club", that is, a club that you use when you can tee the ball, and which you can hit long and straight to the best of your ability, is something that you find over time. That, a favorite wedge and a favorite putter become the core clubs in your set.

[quote name='gvogel' timestamp='1384917027' post='8175736']

[/quote]

I am curious though as to[b] why you feel taking driver out of the bag is a big mistake[/b]? What distance do you hit driver?
[/quote]

I think that if you can hit your driver pretty well, that is one of the biggest joys in golf. I play with a half set all the time, but I would never leave my driver out of the bag. A good player needs a driver, wedge and putter that they can count on. If you don't have these clubs, it is imperative that you find ones that work. Maybe that is a strong 3-wood if the consistency is there (I'm thinking Phil Mickelson at this year's Open Championship), or maybe you need a lofted driver. Having a "play club", that is, a club that you use when you can tee the ball, and which you can hit long and straight to the best of your ability, is something that you find over time. That, a favorite wedge and a favorite putter become the core clubs in your set.
[/quote]

Absolutely, I seriously looked at the xhot deep 13*, but it just couldn't out perform my ping g15 8*.

That being said, the best part about this set up is that it WILL be different for everyone. Some guys will opt to junk the 4i for a gap wedge (long iron hitters with funky yardages in the wedges) some guys will opt for a hybrid (struggle with some tee shots and like to use it around the greens). It allows the player to get very particular with their set ups and I haven't spoken to many guys that have gone to the minimalist bag and had it hurt their games (dramatically) and they seem to find more joy in it..... Realistic expectations anyone?

[quote name='TJCDAS' timestamp='1384956774' post='8177254']
Only on GolfWrx does going minimalist require purchasing more equipment. :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:
[/quote]

You know it does. Seriously though the reason I have purchased new equipment for this particular journey is I know from personal experience that I can play my irons from -1/4" Titleist Standard to + 1/2" without it effecting the consistency of my strike. I currently play -1/4" and figure having an extra 3/4" gives me alot more room to choke up or down on each club. Plus I really like heavy SW's so it will be nice not having to lather on the lead tape to get it up there.

Sorry its taken a little while to get a pic up but all of the packages have arrived heads are glued only thing left to do is throw the grips on which will hopefully happen tomorrow so I can go to the dome sunday and try them out. Supposed to be -6 as the high :(

Hope this drives some more discussion and maybe some picks of others minimalist bags.

I was so close to buying some Callaway Razr X Muscle backs (5,7,9) last night in "like new condition" until I saw they didn't take paypal.

Glad I didn't. I would rather get a few rounds in with my current J38's in a minimalist setup before I make the jump.

Callaway preowned looks to be a great place to buy individual irons, especially if you want to go with Callaway irons.