anyone using lead tape on their putter

on the sole...
So, i'm getting my SC santa fe restored from their custom shop. they said the head weight is about 325, and i had them cut the shaft down to 32.5. So, it'll be really light feeling i think. I have a newport 2 32.5/350 which i find it really well balanced. So I think i'll put some leadtapes on the bottom of the putter. anyone done this? is there a good/bad leadtapes for this kinda purpose???

Thanks,

Comments

• spo1971spo1971 Posts: 163
    I have lead tape on the bottom of my Newport Beach...it brought the head weight up to 344 grams. I just hate the look of it
  • NuckandCupNuckandCup Members Posts: 298
    I like my putters short and heavy, I have lead tape on all my putters. If you don't care about the looks, then you'll be fine. I personally like the look of lead tape.
    Titleist 913 9.5 Diamana S+ 62
    Titleist 913 15 Diamana S+ 72
    Titleist 913 21 & 24 Diamana S+ 82
    Prototype Forged (Japan) 5-PW Modus3 120
    Vokey SM5 50.12F, 54.14F, 60.11F WV 115
    Scotty Cameron California Del Mar
  • MGBMGB Members Posts: 542
    I have lead tape on the sole of my old Ping Anser. It putts like a dream now. It knocked my Scotty Pro Platinum Newport 2 out of the bag.

You could have a custom club builder take the putter apart and put lead or tungsten powder in the head prior to reassembly. That would add weight without the use of lead tape.
  • larslars Members Posts: 272 ✭✭
    I have put tungsten powder down a few of my putter shafts as well. just be sure to put a cork in too so the powder cant shift. not sure if that affects playability or balance of the putter.

L
  • birdieboy52birdieboy52 Banned Posts: 570
    ironplayer wrote on Dec 20 2005, 06:37 PM:

So, i'm getting my SC santa fe restored from their custom shop. they said the head weight is about 325, and i had them cut the shaft down to 32.5. So, it'll be really light feeling i think. I have a newport 2 32.5/350 which i find it really well balanced. So I think i'll put some leadtapes on the bottom of the putter. anyone done this? is there a good/bad leadtapes for this kinda purpose???

Thanks,

I have a Golf smith Snake Eyes Strike LIne 1 with about 40 grams of lead tape in the cavity, and it's evenly distributed topa nd bottom.
  • Thanks for the replies. guess i'll try the leadtape first, and see how i like it. as long as it's not visible at the address, i don't mind having some layers of leadtapes on the sole part.
  • TeeBonZTeeBonZ Members Posts: 1,835 ✭✭
    My Napa is loaded on the bottom. I like heavy putters. I use the 1" wide from Golfsmith.
  • lohrm1lohrm1 Charter Members Posts: 402
    Yup, lead tape is my friend. You can't see it anyway so it shouldn't make a difference.
  • CRutherfordCRutherford Members Posts: 1,258
    I use 3 strips of lead tape directly above my putter neck on the shaft.

Titleist 983K 8.5 Speeder x

TM VSteel DGS300

Titleist 804.OS NSPRO stiff

Vokey Tc 52.08

Vokey SM 58.12

Scotty Cameron Stuido Stainless Newport 2
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Head Golf Professional @ Peninsula Golf Resort, KY[/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Srixon & UST Mamiya Staff Member[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Srixon Z565 9.5*, UST Mamiya Elements Prototype 7F5T[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Srixon ZF65 15. UST Mamiya ATTAS T2 8X[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Srixon U45 19*, UST Mamiya iRod 85F5[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Srixon Z765 3-PW. UST Mamiya Recoil Prototype 125 F5[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist Vokey TVD 52/58 M-Grind, UST Mamiya Wedge Proto F5[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport 2, Frequency Filter shaft[/font]
  • johnnyprojohnnypro Members Posts: 1,849 ✭✭
    I also like a short, heavy-ish putter. I've stuck lots of lead tape in and around the cavity of an Anser and other Pings but I've never put it directly on the sole (bottom). Is this advisable? Does the putter head ever snag the green on the way back?