Orange Whip - Worth It Or Skip It?

HennyBogan1

I have had one for perhaps a month. Overall, I don't know I am convinced. People are saying that it stops you getting quick... but how? I can swing it smoothly, but I can also take a lash with it if I want. Yeah, it feels a bit different but it doesn't stop it happening. I can still do most of my bad movements with the OW. To be honest, the only thing I can say for sure is that the weight of the OW mad me accidentally fanning the club open on the way back - once I realised it was possible, I could stop it but if you were not aware, it could catch you out.

I am sure the OW is great but I think it needs to be used with a significant amount of thought. It does not [i]stop[/i] many of the things that people claim, rather it can make you aware but you need to know what the various feelings you get actually mean.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can swing it as hard as you want but I think it is more to do with transition than tempo. You can't rush from the top due to the weight of the whip which allows the hips to move first but you need to allow the whip to set fully first.

What do you mean by fanning the club open?

Taylormade M1 430 Aldila Rogue Silver 70s
Titleist 917 f2 Fujikura Speeder TS 84s
Titleist AP2 3-Pw AMT s300
Vokey SM6 tour chrome 50, 54, 58 s200
Taylormade Daddy Long Legs +

[quote name='Ezgolfer' timestamp='1385867292' post='8230888']
Ben is an amazing guy ...
Google him and you will know why ?
[/quote]

Ben who?

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

[quote name='talksalot81' timestamp='1385902614' post='8232216']
[quote name='sumo-san' timestamp='1385830289' post='8228602']
What do you mean by fanning the club open?
[/quote]

Instead of the wrist cocking on plane, it 'fans open' and laid off. This is no fault of the OW, it is just down to my tendency combined with the weight.
[/quote]

My tendency would be slightly across the line which the Whip doesn't fix directly.

I think the Orange Whip is very good for teaching the overall feeling of a golf swing in particular correct transition and release.

You will still have a tendency to swing your swing with it though.

My best progress has come after lessons.

Taylormade M1 430 Aldila Rogue Silver 70s
Titleist 917 f2 Fujikura Speeder TS 84s
Titleist AP2 3-Pw AMT s300
Vokey SM6 tour chrome 50, 54, 58 s200
Taylormade Daddy Long Legs +

I may be in the minority but I do not like the orange whip at all because I felt it was so easy to cheat it with very poor techinque.

Bought it, tried it, sold it after I realized I was probably grooving a hellacious stall and flip.

Better solution: Impact bag, nerf ball between the forearms, lather, rinse, repeat.

• 4 years later...

The original .... Or a cheap knock off? Check your bag, are you playing copies of quality clubs or name brand originals.

If price is the issue please feel free to use "PuttDoc" as a coupon code for a little cost savings.

Buy made in the USA and keep Americans working in South Carolina!

Had no idea this was made in SC!

Ping G400 Max 10.5*
Cobra F8 7W
Cobra F8 4H
Mizuno 919 Hot Metal 5-GW
Callaway MD3 54*
Callaway MD PM 58*
Ping Sigma G Tyne

Love it. Since we have the 1st tee time in the morning I don't hit range balls - I'm not willing to get up that early on a Saturday. I use it to warm up pre-round and usually hit the ball great for the first few holes because I have my best tempo after swinging it :)

Callaway Epic Max LS 9.0 Fujikura Ventus Black TS 6S
Cobra LtdX 3 wood Fujikura Motore F1 60S
Callaway UW 21 *
Mizuno JPX 919 HMP Nippon N.S.Pro Modus3 Tour 120S - 4-A
Mizuno  54* Nippon N.S.Pro Modus3 Tour 120S

Titleist SM6 58*
LAB DF 2.1  33"

Sometimes my hands get too fast at the the start of my downswing swing which results in a pull.

It seems the Orange Whip can help out with this fault. Anyone currently using it and if so what do you think about it?

Thanks!

Why not just work on trying different speeds with your hands if you already suspect that’s a problem?

Is the SKLZ trainer just as good? It costs a lot less and might be an option.

orange whip counterbalancing is more effective. Preferred.

Titleist TSR4 /Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI/fuji pro 2.0
Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Cobra Ltd 5 Kaili 80 (sub :Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Kaili 80)
Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid
Honma 757B Blades 4-pw . s300 xp 
Nike Vapor Pro combo AW 50*,Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 

Bettinardi SS 2 silver

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)
Slazenger 508/Kirk Currie KC02B

I made a few swings with mine for the first time yesterday where a spot in the driveway had the snow melt enough to where I could stand without slipping. I left not knowing if I did it right or not. I never tried rushing it. But it did feel like it would be a great preround warm up tool. Once spring ever gets here I plan on giving it the full team try. I am working on changing my grip this winter and was able to swing it with my new grip without hurting it or myself so there is that.

As with all training aids, it can be used for good or bad practice. I use the sklz trainer in a similar way to the orange whip, it gives me better feel for connection of the arms and body, it gives me the feel for sequencing on the downswing and it gives me the feel for how my grip and arm pressures should be through the swing, which allows me to release more naturally.

Weaknesses it does bring is that it can get you swaying a bit if you do it without thinking, and for me, it can groove quite an in to out path or hitting too up on the ball, which again needs to be factored in before using it.

I like using it prior to a round to warm up, but always hit a few iron shots before going out, the biggest thing i've learnt using these types of training aids is that you need to think about what you're doing beforehand, just swinging it backwards and forwards might loosen you up, but it can lead to hooking that first shot off the tee, i've been there!

I re-aggravated a bulging disc in early January so I have not been able to play for the past month. My chiropractor actually recommended I buy an Orange Whip for core training and to learn how to swing rhythmically to better avoid future injury, and for the course warm-up aspect.

When I received it, I watched the videos and saw how the instructors just use their turn to let it swing back and forth with no tension, and how they let it load at the top. When I actually picked mine up and actually mimicked this, it was a completely different feeling than the swing I had been playing golf with for the past 2 years.

Then I picked up my driver and 8-iron and swung them like the Orange Whip and couldn't believe how different the clubs felt. I didn't even realize how herky-jerky and tense I was with my swing before. I had always been told "relax your arms so you can feel the weight of the club head" but it never clicked.

I couldn't be happier with the purchase. I'll probably suck once I finally hit a ball again because I had grooved my old swing and most people get worse before the get better with a swing change. But I'm really excited and ready to get back out there.

Driver: Ping G400 Max w/ Ping Alta CB 55 Stiff (44.5")

Fairway: Ping G410 SFT 3W w/ Ping Alta CB 65 Stiff

Hybrids: Titleist 818 H1 3H/4H w/ Aldila Rogue Black 85 Stiff

Irons: Ping i210 5i-UW w/ Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 Stiff (+0.5"/1.5* upright)

Wedges: Ping Glide Stealth 2.0 54 SS / 58 ES w/ Ping AWT 2.0 Wedge Flex

Putter: Taylormade Spider X Navy (35")

I have an orange whip. My take is that it is good for sequence and path but horrible for face control and low point control. And it's is a good warm up but as someone mentioned it would be good to hit a few after warming up with it (even if they are just short pitches).

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

"for I think a law that is not just, is not actually a law" ("nam mihi lex esse non videtur, quae justa non fuerit")  Saint Augustine of Hippo

#Kwonified

• 6 months later...

To me just a burden in the bag that I don't need. If I want to loosen up with a little extra weight I can grab two irons and swing them together easily. I can also work on my tempo with those two irons as well because it slows me down and helps me think about tempo. Having that contraption sticking out of my bag it's not something I want. Maybe at home swinging in the backyard, but I wouldn't tote it to the golf course.

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter

For $50, I got the 48” Rukket Red Head....it’s just another version of the OW concept. I also have the 40” Sklz Gold Flex, which is more like an iron hippy for an avg height man....I’m 5’11”. I love it for tempo and feeling the lower body initiate and drive the swing motion. I use it to warmup, do dynamic stretches before play and practice. Red Head is on Amazon.

How many swings do y'all do with this? I did 100 3 days in a row and my neck & back were killing me. Started doing 50 every other day seems to be a little better.

I do maybe 10 before a round, though when I was playing more I'd swing it for around 15 mins a night. Yeah, my back was pretty sore the first little while too as I wasn't used to stretching that much.

I just got the 40" SKLZ flex golf for home garage use. The gym I go to has both the 40 and 48. Have really only used them for a couple weeks. I have not tried the Orange Whip.

Some things of note:

1. It's really helped me to get the feeling of shallowing the shaft in transition that I had not been able to get with any other training aid/drill. I knew I was coming over the top and I knew I needed to relax my arms and wrists more, but I could not figure out how to actually do it until I started using the SKLZ. It didn't just "magically" happen, but I was trying to make the SKLZ swing as smoothly as possible and the only way I could do that was to shallow the shaft and turn hard with my body.
  2. I can feel the club release early (or at least fight me) if I don't turn hard enough with my body or I'm not on plane in the downswing.
  3. I can "see" the path from the motion blur (or whatever the correct term is) of the yellow ball through what would be the impact area.
  4. When I'm at the gym, I'll take a few swings with both lengths in between sets. Swinging both lengths close to each other gives me a good feeling of shallowing the club correctly on the different swing planes you'll get with an iron and driver.
  5. I'll swing it on my dominant and non-dominant sides. Not sure if that is actually helping, but given what I've read about Superspeed golf and why they have you do both sides, I figured it's not going to hurt anything.
  6. My first range session where I tried to replicate the SKLZ swing with an actual club was very promising. I was hitting small pushes instead of like I normally would. I did have a tendency to overdo it sometimes and (feel like) I was coming too far from the inside, but I was able to correct that pretty quickly. So hopefully I'll be able to get enough reps to get the proper feeling ingrained.

Has anyone tried to regrip one of these? I'd prefer a larger grip. I got out the digital calipers and the shaft is smaller than normal, but it's close enough that a couple layers of tape seems like it could remedy that. However, I was reading an Amazon Q&A saying that there is actually a smaller white shaft inside the grip that makes it not possible to regrip without building it up in some way. Wasn't sure if there are too many layers to do that safely.

• 3 months later...

Joseph Mayo apparently uses these on the lesson tee. That should say something.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bjxk9M9gOIt/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black