How's the g25 driver working?!

[b]Ping G410 Plus[/b] 12* Fujikura Motore X F3 5S
[b]Titleist TS2[/b] 3HL 16.5* Paderson Kinetix Launch 65S
[b]Taylormade SIM2 Max[/b] 7W 21* Paderson Kinetix Launch 65S
[b]Callaway Rogue[/b] 21* 4h Mitsubishi C6 80S
[b]Rogue Pro[/b] 5-P Nippon Modus 120S
[b]Callaway Mack Daddy CB[/b] 50* Nippon Modus 120S
[b]Titleist SM8[/b] 54 (bent to 56*) D Grind Nippon Modus 125 Wedge
[b]Titleist SM8[/b] 58 (bent to 60*) K Grind (Low Bounce) Nippon Modus 125 Wedge
[b]Fastback 2[/b] 34'' Stability Tour Black Shaft, SuperStroke GTR 1.0

• 1 month later...

Didn't realize you'd gone to a G25, B. How do you like it with the Speeder? I tried a Tour Spec 7.2, and couldn't keep it on the planet (I think I tried a 6.2 at the Launch Pad and was killing that, but the 7.2 was a totally different story. Ended up in a Fuel Tour Spec 60x, tipped 1", and that's been working great for me.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
TaylorMade M2 Tour 18*, Fujikura Rombax P95x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x or Tour Issue or Titleist TSi2 21* (set to 20*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x
Cobra King RF Forged MB - 4-PW, KBS C-Taper 120 Stiff
Corey Paul 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

Thanks guys!

3 jack, I'm planning on doing a big end of season write up soon but the basics are I like it. It's 10-20 yards shorter than a nutted drive with the Nike but its so straight it's ridicous. No trackman time but launch angle probably doubled, which is a good thing for me. Wouldn't be surprised if the head spec's @ 11 or 11.5 degrees but that's fine. I've got a DJ 7S waiting for a tip that I'm excited to try but the tour spec doesn't go left and will be tough to beat. I'm also hoping some of the distance loss is late year weather but as long as its in play I don't really care.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

The G25 driver is stupid forgiving. I agree its not as long as some drivers but the forgiveness and hitting more fairways far outweigh the extra yards you can get with other drivers.

2024 WITB: 

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5 (@ 9.5) Diamana ZF 60S

TM MINI DRIVER??

Callaway Apex UW 19 deg MMT 70 Stiff

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour Rescue #4 AV Limited Blue 75 Stiff

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 5-PW Project X IO 5.5

Vokey SM10 48F, 56M, ??

Odyssey Dual Force Putter

Nice bag Swiz!

I agree with you about the actual loft on the G25. I ordered mine through a dealer who got it through Ping WRX at 9.5* and it launches quite a bit lower than the 9.5* off the rack. I also agree that it really is a fairway finder extraordinaire. This winter I set mine in the "+" position to get a little more carry since the ball basically plugs when it hits the ground. It's also good off the deck because of the low profile sole...aka it doesn't have dials or compasses or weights or, well...you get the idea.

I've definitely banged it a few times off the deck with good results. I played it in all 3 settings and didnt see much difference. Driver will be huge for me because of the club I joined, most of the publics around here are wide open and you can get away with bad drives. Really excited for next season and my bag in general, hoping to get down to a 0 or + index, even if its just for one two week period.

Couple other notes ill expand on later, the 27* g25 hybrid wasn't taken out for a round after picking it up and I've got super peening oranges going in the 302's.

I'd say there's a pretty good chance that if you're getting significantly higher launch, with a Speeder in it, you're probably right that the true loft is higher than what it says on the head (that's common for Ping--when I ordered mine I asked for a head digitally lofted at 8.5*, because it's a higher launching head than I had been playing, and much more loft than that for me would spin too much to the point where it would cost me distance), because that's a pretty low launch/low spin shaft, which wouldn't seem to be a perfect fit for you, since you launch pretty low, but I know you need to keep your spin down, so you may have hit on the right combo of a higher loft head with a low launch shaft. The DJ might be an even better combo for you. I'm interested to see your

For the last few years, I had been trying to get my spin down as low as possible, and the heads that were the best at doing that we're really deep faced (Superdeep, Fast 12 LS), and when I hit it on the screws, they were LONG. The problem is, I don't nut it every time, and the really low spin heads (this was before the current generation of really low spin heads like the SLDR, etc., which I haven't tried) were unforgiving on the misses, both in ball speed (like 1.40 smash) and directionally. So I decided to trade those monster drives on my perfect hits for more distance and a better chance of being in play on the bad ones. The G25 is still plenty long when I hit it in the center of the face, and it's much longer on the misses. It's not totally foolproof, as I have demonstrated on several occasions with my truly horrible swings, but the ones that I miss a little bit seem to want to fly straight.

TaylorMade M2 Tour 18*, Fujikura Rombax P95x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x or Tour Issue or Titleist TSi2 21* (set to 20*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x
Corey Paul 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

• 3 weeks later...

I hear ya 3 jack. Next year should be interesting with all the low spin stuff that will be out. Haven't had the g25 on trackman to see spin numbers but they are probably high, I liked a comment though in I think Pures thread about how the low spin misses went to worse places on the course. If I hoe anything next year though it will probably be something low spin, either slider or BBA.

Been meaning to do an update forever but I've been lazy, on vacation though and the bag that came was
G25 10.5 TS 6.2
17* xhot DI7
Amp cell pro turned down to 19*
27* G25 hybrid
5-pw OG nike pro combos
52/56 vokey and 60 scratch
Kuchar model 2.

Only good deal I could find on black friday was some cheap M projects, I've worn them twice down here and they are great. I had a spike pair right when they came out and went with the other kind because I lost a spike every round, loved the feel of the shoe though.

Also got a Betti Sig series 5 delivered down here for my brother, its so F'in awesome. Feels great, looks great, the headcover and grip are both by far the nicest I've ever seen. Quality piece of work without a doubt. I'm gonna put it in play tomorrow.

[quote name='MaxPower328' timestamp='1387414137' post='8320687']
Uhhh. I'm noticing a very big hole in your bag where a very expensive set of irons used to sit. What gives dude?
[/quote]

I might have played the same set of irons for too long to switch haha. It's amazing how different an iron plays with different shaft/head combos than your used to. For example I've hit 3 buddies random mizunos with PX shafts and hit them all fine, the x forged with pxi and now the recoils just haven't done it for me at all. It's all turf interaction, very weird.

I'm gonna do a longer write up when I get home, have had the shafts going in them for a while now but didn't see the point in rushing to get the work done with all that snow back home. Going back to traditional steel though with some unique flavor still.

Would you even be able to keep playing your Pro Combos this year if you wanted? Groove rule would require you to switch for tournament play, wouldn't it, or are they conforming?

[quote name='swizbeatz' timestamp='1387495212' post='8325013']
I would assume they aren't, first time I've thought of that though. They are OLD.
[/quote]
That's why I had to make the change -- just got my S56s back from Sweet today. He pulled the X100s from my S58s and put them in the 56s (instead of the KBS Tours that were in them). Going to try to get to the range this weekend to test them out.

[quote name='3 Jack Par' timestamp='1387499191' post='8325331']
I would assume they aren't, first time I've thought of that though. They are OLD.
[/quote]
That's why I had to make the change -- just got my S56s back from Sweet today. He pulled the X100s from my S58s and put them in the 56s (instead of the KBS Tours that were in them). Going to try to get to the range this weekend to test them out.
[/quote]

Still getting in range time in MI? Dang.

[b]Titleist SM8[/b] 58 (bent to 60*) K Grind (Low Bounce) Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

[quote name='willboyrd' timestamp='1387502196' post='8325557']
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

3 Jack = straight beast mode

You ain't kiddin' lol

[quote name='willboyrd' timestamp='1387502196' post='8325557']
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
LOL, covered, heated range, and it' supposed to be around 40 this weekend. And I wouldn't be going if I wasn't jonesing to try out my new (to me) irons!

• 1 month later...

Here are some pics comparing the sig series 5 with my newport 1.5. The scotty is softer, everything about the betti is top notch though and I prefer the slightly firmer feel of that one. I'd be gaming this or the new 2014 bb1f if the arm lock wasn't working so well for me. Jimmy at LTD was a big help with this one, wasn't sure if I'd find one mid December.

7C5F41B0-B30A-4462-96E5-5DB191B46036_zpssrmstngs.jpg

1FFD0BE1-0411-4DA1-B71B-420130AED5C5_zpskdcpyvbu.jpg

D843015A-A197-43B9-9583-2E0E9953F263_zpsvpjihjne.jpg

C643F2D0-DE63-4030-9C47-7A03768BD9B0_zps3wotyyxs.jpg

I'm glad I could find the cover a good home. What's with the standard length Betti? I thought you were looking for a Kooch model 1 to go along with your model 2.

• 1 month later...

Couple thoughts about the 2014 bag as the season starts.

Driver

I've been bombing the G25 with both the TS and the DI, DI seems to be longer but not quite as straight. Its extremely forgiving and thats why it cemented a spot in the bag last fall. Last time I was on trackman I got a nice 13*/2200 spin number and quit while ahead lol, figured I wouldn't find anything longer that was close to as forgiving. In general I'm low launch low spin as well so some of the new drivers haven't fit me well. After reading the SLDR thread I'll be getting some numbers on trackman this week, probably going to need a 12* head and maybe I can find some distance.

3 Wood

After some good discussion in other WITB's about 3 woods I decided to move last years xhot pro/DI combo. As I mentioned above I don't need low launch/low spin which many of the high cor 3 woods are. Hoping a G25/DJ combo allows me to hit nice high fades that I can land and stop on a par 5, I'm not long enough to hit irons or hybrids into par 5's very often. I hit shots with the xhot that flew 235 and rolled out to 275 and was usually chipping from long last year.

Hybrids

Amp cell pro turned down to 19* and G25 27*. The cobra is money off the tee. The G25 looks out of place in a younger low cap bag but it works. If I hit a poor drive on a long par 4 is where its shined the most, probably goes about twice as high as the 4 iron it replaced and I've hit some sweet shots over trees with it.

Irons

I think I finally replaced my 10 year old pro combos, super peening oranges into the 302s with blue whiteouts and matching ferrules. I've got ~8 rounds in and the shafts feel so much better, I can feel them load/kick and am getting the higher launch and apex that I've been looking for. The recoils I had were too stiff, one of those things you really need to go to a good fitter to get right and I was impatient.

58E886AF-CA6F-4AB1-9C61-1EAA9DC147C2_zps8mrrke8k.jpg

Wedges

PW feels like its going farther so I might change the sm4 52 to a sm5 50. I want to check the two bounces out on some turf shots first. If anyone has compared the two let me know if you noticed any real difference, I think its minimal when you start talking about gap wedges. I had someone take more off the heel of my Scratch EGG 60* which has tons of relief to begin with, results have been great. You can kind of see in the reflection where it was taken down, will be rusted soon and easier to see.

2D73C848-2C6C-437B-9C53-1334630A25D8_zpsbhvigndm.jpg

Putter

Kuchar arm lock #2. 6"2, fitted into 1.5" longer than stock. I built an identical model 1 for when I want to switch it up for a round or loan out to friends to try out, I've got a comparison pic below. They look a lot different behind the ball, two good options for people.

7C6A6E56-FEE0-42CD-A899-4B9CDF8EF127_zpsbzat5zed.jpg

Pretty tame for WRX I know but things are working, few clubs still in flux. The 3 wood isn't shafted and the stock stiff in there has been terrible but I'm on that soon. 3 weeks until first of ~20 competitive rounds for the summer, I set goals of getting to a 0.something or better for one period and even or better in one competitive round. Excited to hit the SLDR again this week and no clue what ball to play this year. Anyone have the scoop on new balls? I read that Pro-v's are on a 2 year cycle so this years is same as last?

32B5E5AD-448A-48A8-9E3B-BF2700C19B5D_zpspoz90ixk.jpg

Really digging the personal touch with the ferrules. Hope the weather turns around quick so we get great course conditions for FD and KC in June. Gotta give those Epons a couple hacks on the range!

915D2 9.5* Rogue Silver
915F 15* Diamana White
915H 21* Diamana White 90
712u 4i, 712CB 5-6, 712MB 7-P; C-Taper
Scotty Cameron GoLo
Vokey SM4 50, 55K Grind, 60E Grind
WITB Link