I want to 'Beach' a LH Oil Can Newport

kavnetkavnet Lefty Boomers Posts: 62
Who/How/Cost
Guy's i'm thinking of getting a sound slot cut into a LH Oil Can Newport, i want it done properly, not a 'butchered' job, who should i speak to about getting this done? How do i work out exactly where it should be cut? and how much would this sort of job cost? will it also ruin the OC finish? (which is OK i intend to send it to the custom shop afterwards)

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

Keith

image/scotty.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':drinks:' /> Rules!

Comments

• GxgolferGxgolfer Site Founder & Co-Owner SF Bay Area, CARules Official, Administrator Posts: 26,544 admin
    kavnet wrote on Oct 19 2005, 07:22 PM:
    Guy's i'm thinking of getting a sound slot cut into a LH Oil Can Newport, i want it done properly, not a 'butchered' job, who should i speak to about getting this done? How do i work out exactly where it should be cut? and how much would this sort of job cost? will it also ruin the OC finish? (which is OK i intend to send it to the custom shop afterwards)

Keith

»

George P. Geoputters.com and I think Tom Slighter can do it as well.
    Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:
    Have a Ad/BST question, first look and post here:
    BST AD Help
    If you have a general help question, post here:
    GolfWRX Website Help Desk
  • pitbull808pitbull808 Putter Hoarder Marshals Posts: 9,367 mod
    Gxgolfer wrote on Oct 19 2005, 04:59 PM:
    kavnet wrote on Oct 19 2005, 07:22 PM:

Keith

»

George P. Geoputters.com and I think Tom Slighter can do it as well.
    »

George's website has been down for a the longest time. I'll try and contact him.
  • kavnetkavnet Lefty Boomers Posts: 62
    i've sent some info off to tom slighter, awaiting reply, would appreciate geoputters website or email address or if you'd like to pass mine onto him and get him to contact me, either way. I did ask the scotty cameron custom shop but they simply said NO!

Here's some pics of what i want to do, this is a 97 early newport beach version RH of course that was a 'test' tour model given to players, i don't think there's a lot of them around, i actually borrowed these from another member of this club and i'll say thanks for that.

Keith.
  • CasualWaterCasualWater Members Posts: 41
    That looks like a Laser cut to me.

Laser cutters are pretty standard in most larger machine shops.

They are designed to do very fine work and are completly computer controlled.

So it is not technically difficult to get the slot cut.

The hardest part is finding someone with access to the shop.
  • mattsammattsam Members Posts: 1,659 ✭✭
    CasualWater wrote on Oct 21 2005, 05:35 AM:
    That looks like a Laser cut to me.

Laser cutters are pretty standard in most larger machine shops.

They are designed to do very fine work and are completly computer controlled.

So it is not technically difficult to get the slot cut.

The hardest part is finding someone with access to the shop.
    »

Is the slot longer on the sole than in the cavity? If so its a slotting saw, if same its a laser.

I can do it, PM me and I'll do one on my own and show you.

Matt
    Taylormade M1 2017 440 10.5 Tour Issue Mitsubishi Kuro Kage XD60 stiff
    Titleist 915FD 18 Fujikura TRTI-46 Stiff
    Titleist 816 19 deg hybrid with Fujikura Atmos 75 Red Tour Spec Stiff
    Miura 4-pw Passing Point 9003 Aerofiber SteelFiber i80 Regular
    Miura GW 52 K Grind (bent to 51) Aerotech SteelFiber i95 Stiff
    Miura SW 56 K Grind Aerotech SteelFiber i110 Stiff
    Miura Hand Grind 58 MG Grind Aerotech SteelFiber i110 Stiff
    Bettinardi DASS Jam Mallet Limited Run 32" 1.25 deg loft 69 deg
    Taylormade TP5
    New Balance 3001 Golf Shoe
    Well it's going to happen, i got in contact with Geoputters and for a very reasonable fee he's going to cut the slot into the oilcan i found pictured below, i'll get more photo's from him after the slot is cut, i'll then be sendsing it back to the SC studio for a complete restoration.

Keith.
  • cyborgcyborg Members Posts: 41
    kavnet wrote on Oct 28 2005, 08:31 PM:
    Well it's going to happen, i got in contact with Geoputters and for a very reasonable fee he's going to cut the slot into the oilcan i found pictured below, i'll get more photo's from him after the slot is cut, i'll then be sendsing it back to the SC studio for a complete restoration.

Keith.
    »

itll be funny if scotty "welds back in the slot" during restoration. image/biggrin.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':pimp:' />
    edited Oct 29, 2005 #9
    Keith, I'm glad you got ahold of Geo and he can do the slot for you. Did you think of asking him to refinish it for you too? I know he's done some great work in the past and could probably do that easily.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    cyborg wrote on Oct 29 2005, 02:20 PM:
    kavnet wrote on Oct 28 2005, 08:31 PM:

Keith.
    »

itll be funny if scotty "welds back in the slot" during restoration. image/biggrin.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />
    »

HAHAHAHAHAHA Sure would image/yahoo.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':pimp:' /> , i actually got in touch with the studio and asked if they'd do it, they simply said 'No'.

Keith
    edited Oct 29, 2005 #11
    pitbull808 wrote on Oct 29 2005, 07:31 PM:
    Keith, I'm glad you got ahold of Geo and he can do the slot for you.  Did you think of asking him to refinish it for you too?  I know he's done some great work in the past and could probably do that easily.
    »

Reid,

We did chat about it but he doesn't do the oilcan finish, he recommended 'Black Oxide Services' in California who apparently once did it for Scotty, but because i also want a new shaft, grip etc as well and i'm going to get a CS headcover to sell to cover some of the cost i decided to send it to the studio, so he's simply cutting the slot, buffing it up and sending it off for me, great guy, real easy to communicate with and his price was very reasonable.

Keith.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    For those interested here's Stage 2 completed, Goeputters has cut the sound slot, looks great to me, but i might be a bit biased image/rolleyes.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':tongue:' /> , it's going off to the SC studio today for a full restoration, won't have it by xmas now, the turnaround time is 30 working days but hopefully it'll be back for my first game next year, can't wait image/yahoo.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':cheesy:' /> !

Keith.
  • TigerStrongTigerStrong Ack...Ack...Go Mr. McIver Banned Posts: 2,894
    Looks great because i'm a lefty too. But turnaround time is more like 2 months. I have four lefty Scotty's in there right now and it looks like 8 weeks on all of them.
    Nike VR Limited 10.5 BlueBoard 83x
    Nike VR Limited 15* BlueBoard 83x
    Adams Pro 21* Fubuki AX 82x
    Adams XTD Forged 4-Pw DG
    Titleist Vokey 50* 55* 60* TI DG
    Scotty Cameron 009 33 Inch
  • dwengerlefty04dwengerlefty04 Members Posts: 217
    I sent in two putters last month, they were received on October 17... Custom shop turnaround time was 6 business days for one (just a sight dot and grip) and the other was a full restoration. I just got that back today, which made it a hair under a month. I'll post pics in a while in a separate thread. I would imagine you would get it back by New Year's.
  • dwengerlefty04dwengerlefty04 Members Posts: 217
    Oh by the way, that sound slot looks great! How does it feel and sound?
    dwengerlefty04 wrote on Nov 16 2005, 07:08 AM:
    Oh by the way, that sound slot looks great!  How does it feel and sound?
    »

I don't know, the putter and Geoputters are in the US with you guy's and i'm waaaaay over here in australia, this is my little experiment! image/cray.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':tongue:' /> i'll let you know when i get it back, i'm hoping it's going to be a little softer than an average oilcan and have a nice little 'click' off the face, here's hoping! image/biggrin.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':cheesy:' />

K
    trotgolfer wrote on Nov 16 2005, 01:33 AM:
    Looks great because i'm a lefty too. But turnaround time is more like 2 months. I have four lefty Scotty's in there right now and it looks like 8 weeks on all of them.
    »

That's got to suck!, i'm hoping it was because they waited untilk they were all finished before sending them back, i've had 2 putters fully restored and one just in the custom shop and all were finished before or spot on time! so here's hoping, although i realise with the xmas rush and guys in the US having there putters done after their seasons are over it may be a 'LITTLE' longer.

keith.
  • mrupndownmrupndown Members Posts: 32
    If you look close at scotty's site ,it says turnaround "30 days" ,not 30 working days.I just got 4 back in 24 days.sent another three in today...
    Keith...looks great! I'm glad Geo got the job done and done well. I'll be looking forward to seeing the finish pics! image/clapping.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':tongue:' />
    edited Nov 16, 2005 #20
    mr.upndown wrote on Nov 16 2005, 04:19 PM:
    If you look close at scotty's site ,it says turnaround "30 days" ,not 30 working days.I just got 4 back in 24 days.sent another three in today...
    »

Thanks for bringing that to my attention, just goes to show you should read everything, 'carefully', i've renewed hope now for a GREAT xmas! image/yahoo.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':tongue:' />

K
  • mrupndownmrupndown Members Posts: 32
    i talked to the shop on the phone today...still looking at the 30 day turn around time. although they said that a lot of putters are starting to come in...3 were mine....CM image/scotty.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':tongue:' />
  • Teetogreen86Teetogreen86 Spongeworthy Members Posts: 1,177
    kavnet wrote on Nov 16 2005, 02:48 AM:
    mr.upndown wrote on Nov 16 2005, 04:19 PM:
    »

Thanks for bringing that to my attention, just goes to show you should read everything, 'carefully', i've renewed hope now for a GREAT xmas! image/yahoo.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':tongue:' />

K
    »

Make sure to keep us updated! Can't wait to see the finished product.
    [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Golfer | Clubfitter | Kayaker | Photographer[/font]
    it's finally finished and in the Country, only problem is it's Sunday here so i won't get it until tomorrow, i'll post some pic's as soon as it arrives!

Turnaround time was just under the 30 days stated at time of ordering. I didn't get a COA because with the sound slot be aftermarket it would of gotten a 'C' certificate, although right now i'd do almost anything to get some pictures.

Keith
    OK it's here, and here are the specs again:

LH Newport - 'Beached'

34.5 inches

cord no cord grip

blue custom shop shaftband

either blue custom shop headcover or blue mini crown (undecided)

V.E. for my other half and son and 2005 for year of production

I'm Very Very Very happy, i can't recommend using Geoputters or the Custom shop enough, simply look back thru the before pictures and you'll see why.

let me know what you think, was it worth it?
  • peter3peter3 Members Posts: 115
    A work of art. Truly beautiful!
    Keith the putter came out fantastic! Great job and it was nice being here from the beginning to final finish! image/clapping.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':dntknw:' />
  • SakmanSakman @ryansako Marshals Posts: 6,291 mod
    The putter turned out great...totally worth it! Thanks for all the updates throughout the entire process.
  • Teetogreen86Teetogreen86 Spongeworthy Members Posts: 1,177
    Wow that finish looks awsome. That's exactly what I want my Newport to look like. Hopefully BOS can strip the Pro Platinum finish and put one like that on there. Looks great!!! image/cool.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':dntknw:' />
    [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Golfer | Clubfitter | Kayaker | Photographer[/font]
    If you want to strip a pro plat finish and get an oil can type finish you'll have to go thru BOS or the like, the custom shop would only redo the same pro plat finish or for i think $30 more do the 'tour' satin pro plat finish on your putter.

thanks pitbull for all your suggestions/information in making this happen, it's worked out better than i expected, can't wait now to get out after xmas to 'give it a whirl', my only concern is what happens if i 3 putt the first green? image/russian_roulette.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':dntknw:' />