2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Snowboarding

moegolfer11

Does anyone here Snowboard or ski, I'm going to get into it this winter as a hobby away from golf and as something to do to enjoy the winters. How expensive is all the equipment, apparel, etc…Any recommendations for a beginner?

Taylormade M2 10.5° [color=#0000ff]Graphite Design AD-BB 7x[/color]
Titleist 913 FD 15° [color=#a9a9a9]Diamana 'Ahina 70x[/color]
Titleist 716 AP2 3 iron [color=#a9a9a9]Accra 110i[/color]
Titleist 716 MB 4-PW [color=#0000ff]Project X 6.0[/color]
Vokey [color=#000000]Jet Black [/color]SM7 52° 56° 60° [color=#000000]S400 Tour Issue Black Onyx[/color]
Scotty Cameron Newport [color=#daa520]Teryllium[/color] Sole Stamp

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was a regular in Angle Fire once a year. My wife's aunt had retired up there so we would go pretty often. Haven't been in a long time. I would suggest renting the equipment and taking a lesson. I was a pretty accomplished skier before trying the board. The physics are very different. It's a bit unnerving to have your feet strapped in like that.

As far as costs....I can only say what it was in Angle Fire.

66 bucks for a full day. 50 for a half day.
Full adult package rental I think was 30 per day.

If you want to buy essentials this is what I paid: (collected over a few seasons)

I ended up getting my own boots on clearance for 180 bucks one winter (they were the extreme high end Salomons). My helmet was 60 bucks. Spy+ goggles were 80 on sale. I dropped 80 on some goretex gloves. I spent a lot on my base layer.....like 180 bucks. Pants on sale for 40. And a decent two part jacket ran me 180 on clearance. Good socks were 30 bucks. Once I had my gear in order I didn't have to worry with it anymore. Once I got good at boarding I just demoed performance boards from the local shops.

I spent more on on gloves/socks/gloves because I can't stand for my hands/feet/giggly bits to bet cold. Most everything else you can get on closeout from previous year. NEVER buy gear in peak season. Buy this crap in the summer.

Assuming you go to a nice place, are the rentals mostly of good quality? I would assume not. Essentially what I gathered is gear and apparel is most of your cost, how much do (nice) boards run you.

Vokey [color=#000000]Jet Black [/color]SM7 52° 56° 60° [color=#000000]S400 Tour Issue Black Onyx[/color]

As a beginner, you don't need a nice board. Go buy an inexpensive, used, "rocker" style board. Rocker type boards are easier to ride. You're gonna bash the hell out of it while you learn, so consider it a throwaway. Make sure its a name brand board which will at least ensure that its decent quality. Length shouldn't be too long since it will be harder to ride, so figure it should be somewhere around chin height, as long as you aren't way overweight.

Bindings might come with the board if you buy it used. If not, a decent pair of Burtons, or something similar should be fine. I wouldn't get too caught up with this as a beginner.

Boots are where you're gonna want to splurge. They are the most important thing you'll buy because if they are uncomfortable, nothing else will matter. Try on a bunch of them and find a pair that is really comfortable. The higher end ones have heat moldable liners and better cushioning and stuff like that. I have a personal preference for Thirtytwo. Again, this is where you'll want to spend the extra $$.

Most of the other stuff is just personal preference, like gear, goggles, helmet, gloves etc. The stuff gets pretty expensive, but if you buy the stuff thats on sale from last season, you'll save a ton of money. I like sites like dogfunk.com, evo.com, the-house.com..

As for rentals...most are junk quality. Its not a bad idea to rent for your first day though to see if you even like snowboarding.

Ping G25 w/ RIP Phenom
Adams Super LS Hybrid 17*
Adams SS Super Hybrid 19*
i20 4-UW
Taylormade TM-110
Cleveland CG14 56 & 60

[quote name='moegolfer11' timestamp='1384309938' post='8140692']
Assuming you go to a nice place, are the rentals mostly of good quality? I would assume not. Essentially what I gathered is gear and apparel is most of your cost, how much do (nice) boards run you.
[/quote]

Not really, even the top Lake Tahoe resorts basic rental gear is pretty bad, although you can pay more at some for higher end stuff. If you do rent, its normally a better deal to rent from a sport goods store/ski shop around the area if you are going to be there for a few days. A week long rental will cost not much more than a day or two at the resorts.

For a beginner to buy (using the advice RJ had above)

Board-$200-300 (some $150 deals can be had)
Bindings-$80-$150 (you prob dont want the high end $200+ bindings, they are more stiff and less forgiving)
Boots-$100-$250. RJ is right, dont skimp here. The worst part of rental gear is crappy boats that dont fit well. Definitely the one piece you need to get fitted for

Much like golf gear, you are better off buying older model stuff or used gear vs new bargain basement stuff (ie any package deal of gear from a big box store)

For the soft goods, wide spectrum of prices depending on what you buy (Brand and if its the latest year)

Gloves-$20-$60
Googles-$20-$120
Jacket-$80-$300+
Pants-$80-$300

Check out Trusnow.com, Evo.com, o2gerashop.com and many others.

As for total cost, the lift tickets here are $$. $90+ per day, in the Vail, CO area some are north of $100/day, Its really not worth going for only one day, so factor in at least 2-3 day lift tickets to really give it a run through, Food/Drinks are typically expensive as well (think ball park food pricing)

The rental gear is garbage. Really it is. But it will get you on the mountain.

If you have your own boots that you really like the way to go is doing the demo boards. They are not part of the "fleet" and are usually the most current year models. If you like it sometimes they will let you buy it for a deal. But as the others have said Boots are critical. It pays to go with the high end stuff from the previous year.

Also check out the-house.com good clearance gear. Rentals really vary, but if you go with a demo rental which will cost you more it will be good gear. I wouldn't buy your own at this point, rent and learn to see what you like first. I have been skiing boarding since I was about 7 and still don't have my own skis. I have my own snowboarding set up and my own ski boots.

• 2 weeks later...

If you're going to snowboard, rent the first few times and get a couple of lessons (many times you can find package deals that include lift ticket, lesson and rental)

I tell people who ask me if they should ski or snowboard the following:

If you want to snowboard, expect a steeper learning curve but shorter time to proficiency (ie making it down greens/blues without much trouble)
If you want to ski, expect a flatter learning curve but a longer time to proficiency

Oh and expect it to hurt when falling if you're snowboarding, it's generally a far more violent action than it is when falling in skis.

As for gear the above is pretty much right on. HOWEVER you can find board/binding combos for even cheaper if you go used (ebay/craigslist/etc). The problem with that is you don't know the actual quality or shape of the equipment and being new to the sport what you might be looking for.

I see perfectly functional binding/board combos for 100 bucks all of the time. Many times they have little use, but since new models come out yearly, older models lose value fairly fast. So reselling something that is 3-4 years old is tough.

Really though, get some lessons and try it out with rentals to begin with. No need to really go big and buy gear until you know you'll like it.

As for cold weather gear. If you have some already you're going to be fine. The only need is goggles. You'll find they're a lifesaver. A helmet is a GREAT idea, but I didn't wear one when I started (and I started snowboarding when I was 28 or so).

Titleist 915 D3 9.5*
Titleist 917 F2 15*
Titleist AP1 4-5
Titleist AP2 6-P
Vokey SM6 52/58
Toulon Design Rochester

[quote name='etakmit' timestamp='1385053820' post='8183946']
A helmet is a GREAT idea, but I didn't wear one when I started (and I started snowboarding when I was 28 or so).
[/quote]

I didn't wear one either until I bashed my head twice in consecutive runs at the same spot a season or two ago. Fortunately I was okay, but a quick blackout was all it took for me to pick one up on the drive home lol. Besides, it makes a good gopro mount.

Ping G25 w/ RIP Phenom
i20 4-UW
Taylormade TM-110
Cleveland CG14 56 & 60

[quote name='etakmit' timestamp='1385053820' post='8183946']
If you're going to snowboard, rent the first few times and get a couple of lessons (many times you can find package deals that include lift ticket, lesson and rental)

I tell people who ask me if they should ski or snowboard the following:

If you want to snowboard, expect a steeper learning curve but shorter time to proficiency (ie making it down greens/blues without much trouble)
If you want to ski, expect a flatter learning curve but a longer time to proficiency

Oh and expect it to hurt when falling if you're snowboarding, it's generally a far more violent action than it is when falling in skis.

As for gear the above is pretty much right on. HOWEVER you can find board/binding combos for even cheaper if you go used (ebay/craigslist/etc). The problem with that is you don't know the actual quality or shape of the equipment and being new to the sport what you might be looking for.

I see perfectly functional binding/board combos for 100 bucks all of the time. Many times they have little use, but since new models come out yearly, older models lose value fairly fast. So reselling something that is 3-4 years old is tough.

Really though, get some lessons and try it out with rentals to begin with. No need to really go big and buy gear until you know you'll like it.

As for cold weather gear. If you have some already you're going to be fine. The only need is goggles. You'll find they're a lifesaver. A helmet is a GREAT idea, but I didn't wear one when I started (and I started snowboarding when I was 28 or so).
[/quote]

i agree with everything you said. craigslist is probably your best bet is you really want to 'own' the equipment right now. but if you've never been, start with renting (and not from the resort, but a nearby shop) and getting lessons. the discount sites mentioned above are great, especially for boots. you want your boots to fit, so maybe try to try them on in person or go through a site with free return shipping. you want the boots to be snug, so normally a half size smaller than your normal everyday footwear.

and while i don't normally wear a helmet (i grew up in the pre-head trauma era, where you just rubbed some dirt on it), i'd definitely recommend one, and not a used one, b/c you'll probably fall, and fall a lot. but once you get the hang of it, you'll be hooked.

I tried snowboarding 6 or 7 times before giving up and switching to skiing. Picked that up in an hour. I'm jealous of snowboarders

Bats/Sticks/Tools:

Ping G 10.5 set at 9.9, tour ad di 6x
Titleist 915F set at A4 (16.5), Rouge Black 80s
Titleist 910H set at A1 (19), Diamana Whiteboard 90s
Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW, KBS Tour 120s
Titleist SM6 52(bent to 51), 56, 60. M grinds on the 56 and 60 F on the 51
Cameron Squareback.
ProV1x

Assistant Professional
PGA Apprentice

"Live Free or Die"

[quote name='Mulligan26' timestamp='1385146147' post='8190920']
I tried snowboarding 6 or 7 times before giving up and switching to skiing. Picked that up in an hour. I'm jealous of snowboarders
[/quote]

Like the post above said, skiing is far easier to pick up than snowboarding for most people. I picked up skiing pretty easily before begrudgingly trying snowboarding. It was hard as hell, and probably took me 2 seasons (maybe 20 trips) for it to finally "click".

Ping G25 w/ RIP Phenom
i20 4-UW
Taylormade TM-110
Cleveland CG14 56 & 60

[quote name='RJRJRJ' timestamp='1385181167' post='8194086']
[/quote]

Like the post above said, skiing is far easier to pick up than snowboarding for most people. I picked up skiing pretty easily before begrudgingly trying snowboarding. It was hard as hell, and probably took me 2 seasons (maybe 20 trips) for it to finally "click".
[/quote]

Yeah I've heard skiing is much easier to learn but I want to challenge myself. I live within an hour of Perfect North Slopes in Indiana, and the slopes there; from what I hear at least, aren't all that great nor challenging but I suppose they would be good for a beginner like me. As far as falling goes what makes the act of falling on a snowboard much more violent?

[quote name='moegolfer11' timestamp='1385318807' post='8199988']
[quote name='RJRJRJ' timestamp='1385181167' post='8194086']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Yeah I've heard skiing is much easier to learn but I want to challenge myself. I live within an hour of Perfect North Slopes in Indiana, and the slopes there; from what I hear at least, aren't all that great nor challenging but I suppose they would be good for a beginner like me. As far as falling goes what makes the act of falling on a snowboard much more violent?
[/quote]

Catching an edge is when the metal edge of your board gets stuck in the snow and you basically go from moving to being instantly down on your face/head/back etc. It usually seems to come out of nowhere too. You'll be cruising along and all of the sudden you've got a face full of snow.

I think having both of your feet connected is also what prevents you from really being able to break your falls effectively. You just have to accept that you're going down, and learn to "take the fall" instead of trying to prevent it.

Ping G25 w/ RIP Phenom
i20 4-UW
Taylormade TM-110
Cleveland CG14 56 & 60

Hate snowboarding, tried it and didn't like it. Absolutely love skiing.

I disagree about rental gear being crap. yes, if you go to the mountain and rent their generic stuff it might be sub standard, but you're going to get a decent all-mountain ski for what it's worth. You can go into a ski shop and demo (rent) the latest and greatest. Similar to going into golfsmith and trying the sldr driver.

It can get expensive. Last year I pieced together a bomber set of powder skis. Got the k2 hellbents with some look xxl bindings. Regularly would've cost about $1300, but I got the previous years models for a little more than half. All that changed was the graphics!

If you're really interested. Get a ski pass, they're worth their weight in gold. In CO, I got the epic local which gave me unlimited access to breck, keystone, and a-basin with 10 days at vail/beaver creek. In 5 trips up, you've made you money back.

Take a lesson. Get started right. Be adventurous, yet safe. Get a helmet. Stay out of the terrain park.

Apparel is important. If you're cold, you're gonna be miserable and hate it. Dress in layers so that you can add and subtract as necessary. I would go in a baselayer, fleece, and hardshell up top. Usually long johns and snowpants down below. My mittens were rated down to -20 to make sure they were always warm. Grow a beard if you can for face warmth!

If you do get into it. I believe the outlet at evo.com has the best deals on the previous years stuff. Usually at least 30% off with extra coupon codes all the time.

[b]TaylorMade M1 9.5º Fujikura Pro XLR8 Stiff
Titleist 915Fd 15* GD p9003x
Titleist 913Hd 18º D+ 90Hy X flex
Titleist T-mb 4-9 DG S400 2º flat
Titleist SM6 46.08 & 50.10 F-Grind DG S400 2º flat
Titleist Vokey V-grind 54.10 & 58.10 DG Hi-Rev Wedge+ 2º flat
Titleist Cameron & Crown Golo5
Current HDCP 5.9 (as of 11/2016)[/b]
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/902791-conrad283s-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='Conrad283' timestamp='1385790358' post='8227538']

I disagree about rental gear being crap. yes, if you go to the mountain and rent their generic stuff it might be sub standard, but you're going to get a decent all-mountain ski for what it's worth. You can go into a ski shop and demo (rent) the latest and greatest. Similar to going into golfsmith and trying the sldr driver.

[/quote]

Most stores arent renting out the newest lib tech and never summer gear. Some might have less than crap stuff, but a pure beginner probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference between anything, If OP hates snowboarding on rental gear, he'll hate anything above that as well.

Ping G25 w/ RIP Phenom
i20 4-UW
Taylormade TM-110
Cleveland CG14 56 & 60

[quote name='RJRJRJ' timestamp='1385806737' post='8227738']
[quote name='Conrad283' timestamp='1385790358' post='8227538']

[/quote]

Most stores arent renting out the newest lib tech and never summer gear. Some might have less than crap stuff, but a pure beginner probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference between anything, If OP hates snowboarding on rental gear, he'll hate anything above that as well.
[/quote]

Disagree again. I cannot speak for snowboarding because I've only tried it once and I'll never try it again.

I learned to ski on straight skis and then the switch to shaped skis happened, so why learn one way and then have to switch? My buddy walked into a Christy's Sports at the base of Keystone in CO and was able to demo the brand new (at the time) Volkl's for the day. You're not going to get that from Keystone rentals, or any other mountain's rental shop, but at these "independent" shops, you'll get quality stuff.

[b]TaylorMade M1 9.5º Fujikura Pro XLR8 Stiff
Titleist 915Fd 15* GD p9003x
Titleist 913Hd 18º D+ 90Hy X flex
Titleist T-mb 4-9 DG S400 2º flat
Titleist SM6 46.08 & 50.10 F-Grind DG S400 2º flat
Titleist Vokey V-grind 54.10 & 58.10 DG Hi-Rev Wedge+ 2º flat
Titleist Cameron & Crown Golo5
Current HDCP 5.9 (as of 11/2016)[/b]
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/902791-conrad283s-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]