changing the loft of a driver.

a1mbot

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry forgot to say...im a lefty

ahh..they dont make 8.. makes sense now. Yes the tour van can bend it pretty safely..safer then pretty much anyone else because they have the custom fixtures to lessen the chance of damage.

Woods : Callaway Razr TA, Titleist F3-05
Hybrid : Adams LSP XTD
Irons : Fourteen TC910 3&4I, Nike VRProCombo 5-PW
Wedges : Fourteen RM-11 54/60
Putter : Nike Method 003 Oven

If I ordered a left handed driver straight from Taylor Made will they bend the loft of the driver like from a 9.5 to an 8.0 degree? And if u can do that does it screw up anything in the head? Im a college golfer and my coach can talk straight to the reps.

Sure, just keep in mind that for every degree that you bend-down a driver, you also open the face the same amount.

In other words.... If you have a 9.0* driver (stock head out of the factory, and assuming that they head is +/- 0*, or "square") and you want to reduce the loft by bending it to say 7.0*, the face angle will automatically be 2* open from where it started from. And Vise-versa for moving the loft UP in degrees (say from 9.0* to 10.0*. The face will close doing this by 1* from where it started from.

Saying what you are saying, if you hook the ball, you should like this because it takes away the "lefts for a right handed player and the "Rights" for a left handed player.

All it will do in your situation is open the face angle from square by 1.5*.

Most tour players have their drivers set up this way (open faces) so they can be more aggressive thru the ball and not worry about the blue darting HOOK at the wrong time!

Sure, just keep in mind that for every degree that you bend-down a driver, you also open the face the same amount.

Why? It doesn't work that way with irons.

No! Woods and irons are COMPLETELY DIFFERENT animals when bending them!!!

When you bend IRONS........ you effectively change the offset, NOT the FACE ANGLE of them being OPEN or CLOSED.

When bending woods, because the hosels are desinged differently into the head, bending them does nothing to the offset of the head. It directly effects the FACE ANGLE (the degrees open or closed when the club sits on the ground).

Trust me on this. DELOFT a wood and you OPEN the face angle from square. ADD LOFT to a wood and you CLOSE the face angle. (All effectively! In reality you don't actually de-loft or add loft to a wood. All you do is open or close the face angle to make the loft effectively increased or decreased.

I've talked about this before and this subject always come up once in a while.

Imagine that you clamp the head on a mold and start yanking the bending bar 90* backward to deloft the head, what make people thing that you will open the club head that way?

To me close or open face are depending on the relationship between how the shaft angle enter the hosel and how the sole plate laid on the ground according every individual players set up and body built, a shorter guy w/ most sole design will see the club face more open versus a tall guy.

If we bend the hosel 45* to a south west angle, if we use our common sense...the face angle will be open, flatter lie and increase the loft, vice versa if we bend it 45* to north east angle...despite of how we hit the ball and where the face angle at impact.

The reason most pro want to have the face slightly open because they don't want to change their swing, they want the club head in an open position to create a certain ball flight they want to get. Basically they want the club do the job without changing their swing.

What i think the biggest reason why they change the ball flight lower or higher are because of the direction of the ball flight and the spin rate changes (providing if they don't change the shaft), Hook/draw ball in most cases lower trajectory and less spin than slice/fade ball. Now thinking about this, if we open the club face to create fade ball, the trajectory should be higher, right?

Gear effect : this is a movement of club head at impact position. This factor will change according to the shaft spec in correlation to the shape of the club combine w/ club head speed and where you catch the ball on the face. Providing if you catch the ball on the sweet spot all the time, that means the most effect that can change the movement is SHAFT. So IMO gear effect play very small to no effect on face angle differences.

MY 2 CENTS!

Joe

hmmm thats opposite of what i thought. I thought it would make sense that in u de lofted a wood it would be more closed. Anyway, can an ft-3 be bend even though there really isn't a hosel?

You can't bend it, but you can shim it open.

Joe

When you bend IRONS........ you effectively change the offset, NOT the FACE ANGLE of them being OPEN or CLOSED.

When bending woods, because the hosels are desinged differently into the head, bending them does nothing to the offset of the head. It directly effects the FACE ANGLE (the degrees open or closed when the club sits on the ground).

Trust me on this. DELOFT a wood and you OPEN the face angle from square. ADD LOFT to a wood and you CLOSE the face angle. (All effectively! In reality you don't actually de-loft or add loft to a wood. All you do is open or close the face angle to make the loft effectively increased or decreased.

Gee, I think you are completely ignoring the physics involved. No offense, but your argument sounds like the bizarro threads over at BSG. "Trust me. I know this to be 100% FACT! Case Closed."

When you change the face angle on a wood, it doesn't change the actual loft of the clubhead. It changes the effective loft only if you rotate the shaft and realign the clubface to be square to the target again.

As Joe said, you can bend a wood to change just the loft (bending straight away from the target). This does nothing to change the face angle. Nothing. (It does in fact change the offset.) This is pretty easy to see if you have a decent loft/lie measuring guage.

Gee, I think you are completely ignoring the physics involved. No offense, but your argument sounds like the bizarro threads over at BSG. "Trust me. I know this to be 100% FACT! Case Closed."

When you change the face angle on a wood, it doesn't change the actual loft of the clubhead. It changes the effective loft only if you rotate the shaft and realign the clubface to be square to the target again.

As Joe said, you can bend a wood to change just the loft (bending straight away from the target). This does nothing to change the face angle. Nothing. (It does in fact change the offset.) This is pretty easy to see if you have a decent loft/lie measuring guage.

Iron lofts are measured using the angle between the shaft and the club face. A wood's loft is the angle between the face and sole. Technically a metal wood's loft cannot be changed, at least not with any commercially available machine. What can be changed is the face angle. A driver bent to a 2 degree open position will appear open when soled. However, when hovered off the ground the club can be gripped so as to square the face giving the face a 2 degree stronger effective loft (not actual loft). Manufacturer's advertise Loft and Lie adjustments for Irons and Lie and Face angle adjustments for Woods. My Mitchell Steelclub Plus works that way as does the Golfsmith Metal Wood Bending Unit. :)

I think its great when an innocent question sparks lively debate. I won't requote the previous posts but I have a few questions and answers for those that posted.

Golfdog, have you considered that with irons when you strengthen the loft you reduce the bounce? If you rotated the clubhead on the shaft (if it were loose) so that the bounce was the same, wouldn't the face angle be open?

Joe, in the context of this question of loft change of 9.5 to 8.0, if the face angle were open 1.5 to produce a fade, wouldn't the loft angle then effectively be 9.5 and therefore the same trajectory?

Staffbag, wouldn't the effective change in loft of a wood also change the effective offset?

Texan, you seem to be absolutely correct in your statements, can you comment on these questions?

I think its great when an innocent question sparks lively debate. I won't requote the previous posts but I have a few questions and answers for those that posted.

Golfdog, have you considered that with irons when you strengthen the loft you reduce the bounce? If you rotated the clubhead on the shaft (if it were loose) so that the bounce was the same, wouldn't the face angle be open?

Joe, in the context of this question of loft change of 9.5 to 8.0, if the face angle were open 1.5 to produce a fade, wouldn't the loft angle then effectively be 9.5 and therefore the same trajectory?

Staffbag, wouldn't the effective change in loft of a wood also change the effective offset?

Texan, you seem to be absolutely correct in your statements, can you comment on these questions?

Do you still believe that opening up a face angle of an 9.5* driver 1.5* open will become an 8*? :dntknw:

Joe :drinks:

Do you still believe that opening up a face angle of an 9.5* driver 1.5* open will become an 8*? :dntknw:

No, I believe the fact is that when the 9.5 is bent to an 8 and kept at the original lie angle, the face angle will open 1.5. When the face is square the effective loft is 8, the loft hasn't actually changed, the effective loft is thought to be with the face square. By the same logic when the face is 1.5 open at impact the effective loft is 9.5 and the trajectory is the same. There really is no change in actual loft only effective loft. Do you follow?

Do you still believe that opening up a face angle of an 9.5* driver 1.5* open will become an 8*? :wave:

No, I believe the fact is that when the 9.5 is bent to an 8 and kept at the original lie angle, the face angle will open 1.5. When the face is square the effective loft is 8, the loft hasn't actually changed, the effective loft is thought to be with the face square. By the same logic when the face is 1.5 open at impact the effective loft is 9.5 and the trajectory is the same. There really is no change in actual loft only effective loft. Do you follow?

OK Let's put it this way. :D

If you go base on how the sole plate laid on the ground at address position...YES you are almost right.

1. The different are the lie angle become flatter when you bend the hosel open 45* toward south west direction and the loft will be around 10.5*. Providing you are holding the club at the same spot at address position and letting the sole plate fall flat to the ground.

2. Now if you are talking bending the 9.5* to make it 8*, then you are talking bending the hosel toward the east direction and if you let the sole fall flat to the ground and hold the club at the same position, then you will fall at 9.5* again w/ face angle open about 1* but the lie angle stay the same.

I would prefer #1 technique if the players asking me to make the face open because they want to have a fade bias shot. Bottom line is, the correlation between how consistent you hold the club and how the sole plate laid on the ground.

The very bold example is the smooth top Taylor Made 3 wood tour issue. A lot of them complaint that they hit them to high for the loft stated on the sole. I've check every one of them that stated 15* on the sole and the real static loft is 17* w/ 2.5* open face.

Check out this two pictures. I shimed the club to sit open. See where i shimed it and how the face angle look at address position.

Gawt! I'm having a big head ache now trying to write this one in a better context. :drinks: :dntknw:

Joe :beach:

Do you still believe that opening up a face angle of an 9.5* driver 1.5* open will become an 8*? :wave:

If you go base on how the sole plate laid on the ground at address position...YES you are almost right.

1. The different are the lie angle become flatter when you bend the hosel open 45* toward south west direction and the loft will be around 10.5*. Providing you are holding the club at the same spot at address position and letting the sole plate fall flat to the ground.

2. Now if you are talking bending the 9.5* to make it 8*, then you are talking bending the hosel toward the east direction and if you let the sole fall flat to the ground and hold the club at the same position, then you will fall at 9.5* again w/ face angle open about 1* but the lie angle stay the same.

I would prefer #1 technique if the players asking me to make the face open because they want to have a fade bias shot. Bottom line is, the correlation between how consistent you hold the club and how the sole plate laid on the ground.

The very bold example is the smooth top Taylor Made 3 wood tour issue. A lot of them complaint that they hit them to high for the loft stated on the sole. I've check every one of them that stated 15* on the sole and the real static loft is 17* w/ 2.5* open face.

Check out this two pictures. I shimed the club to sit open. See where i shimed it and how the face angle look at address position.

Gawt! I'm having a big head ache now trying to write this one in a better context. :drinks: :dntknw:

You're almost right as well. In point #2 when the hosel is bent 1.5 the face will be open 1.5 not about 1, so long as the lie angle is kept the same. The actual definitions for loft of woods defined by two measurements: 1. Actual loft - the loft measured relative to the sole.

2. Effective loft - the loft measured when the face is square.

These two definitions are what make these discussions difficult unless everyone is using the same definitions.

The real fact about the issue of changing the loft of a metal wood is that you can't change the actual loft, you can only change other aspects to produce a new effective loft.

You still need to recognize that when the face angle has been changed to 1.5 open that when that club meets the ball at 1.5 open the loft is still the same as when it started and therefore the trajectory remains the same as it was before but the flight is 1.5 dgrees right (for a right hander) with some side spin to the right. You had suggested that the trajectory would be higher.

Aside from definitions and the trajectory point you are absolutely correct and your fitting skill is evident.

You're almost right as well. In point #2 when the hosel is bent 1.5 the face will be open 1.5 not about 1, so long as the lie angle is kept the same. The actual definitions for loft of woods defined by two measurements: 1. Actual loft - the loft measured relative to the sole.

These two definitions are what make these discussions difficult unless everyone is using the same definitions.

The real fact about the issue of changing the loft of a metal wood is that you can't change the actual loft, you can only change other aspects to produce a new effective loft.

You still need to recognize that when the face angle has been changed to 1.5 open that when that club meets the ball at 1.5 open the loft is still the same as when it started and therefore the trajectory remains the same as it was before but the flight is 1.5 dgrees right (for a right hander) with some side spin to the right. You had suggested that the trajectory would be higher.

Aside from definitions and the trajectory point you are absolutely correct and your fitting skill is evident.

From my experiences, not according to this gauge machine:

http://www.golfworks.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_LOLI2

Why? Because after bending, the sole plate will not lay at the same spot again...providing shaft possition are in the same spot. Honestly speaking, i'm not sure about 1* but I know for sure it's not 1.5*, I think it's depending on the shape design of the sole in term of bulge and roll...but i always found it less than the actual amount of bending.

I did recognized that when the face angle change the spin direction and spin rate are also change, due to this change the ball flight trajectory will change also, Yes the initial launch angle is the same but not the final peak. This is why we always call it duck hook or high slice. The amount of spin and spin direction will create different friction, thus it will react on the trajectory.

This is a very very good this discussion. A bit to deep for most of us but still very good indeed.

Joe :D

From my experiences, not according to this gauge machine:

http://www.golfworks.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_LOLI2

Why? Because after bending, the sole plate will not lay at the same spot again...providing shaft possition are in the same spot. Honestly speaking, i'm not sure about 1* but I know for sure it's not 1.5*, I think it's depending on the shape design of the sole in term of bulge and roll...but i always found it less than the actual amount of bending.

I did recognized that when the face angle change the spin direction and spin rate are also change, due to this change the ball flight trajectory will change also, Yes the initial launch angle is the same but not the final peak. This is why we always call it duck hook or high slice. The amount of spin and spin direction will create different friction, thus it will react on the trajectory.

This is a very very good this discussion. A bit to deep for most of us but still very good indeed.

Joe :D

Maybe a digital gauge would clear it up for you. The shape of the sole can make consistent readings difficult even with a digital gauge though.

I'm not absolutely sure of the trajectory issue. Intuitively it would seem to me that any side spin would subtract from back spin and in fact produce a lower trajectory, it would only be a higher trajectory if the face were open enough to add loft. I can't anticipate a higher trajectory as a result of side spin. If you're observing this I would guess that the higher trajectory stems from a factor that is not being reliably measured or is simply unexpected. I was able to observe robot testing with downfield sensors at the Zevo factory with many different face angles and never saw a higher trajectory from the sidespin but I was only a spectator and I don't know what other variables may have been at play. Wind direction, ball compression etc.

Here is a good way to understand why face angle and effective loft do not have a 1:1 relationship (in other words, why a club with a 10* loft that is 2* closed does not have 12* of effective loft when the shaft is rotated to square the club to the target line). Let's imagine a club with a lie angle of 0* (shaft is parallel to the ground). If you rotate the shaft 1*, the effective loft on the club will change 1*. In this configuration, there is a 1:1 ratio between face angle and effective loft.

Now imagine a club with a lie angle of 90* (shaft is perpendicular to the ground). If you rotate the shaft 1*, the loft on the club remains unchanged. In fact, you can rotate this shaft all you want and the effective loft will NEVER change. In this configuration, there is a 0:1 ratio between face angle and effective loft.

With this in mind, you have to agree that with a lie angle of 58*-59*, a modern driver's effective loft will not change 1* for each 1* of shaft rotation. The actual number will be less than 1*, but more than 0* (the actual number is less than .5*).