Mizuno MP-67

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have noticed a difference in yardage and its for the better, I usually have my Irons bent 2* strong in all lofts but these are going to stay the way they are Because I am hitting my 5 iron now where I would hit my 3 iron beorehand. Im in love with these Irons. I played some hogans for years and never thought I could replace those but these have taken the top spot in my bag.Was hitting there MP-r wedge around yesterday and liked it a great bit too. May take my Vokeys out the bag for a little bit.

[center][color=#00ff00][b]~ Bomb Tech Grenade 9* Matrix Radix S7~[/b][/color][/center]
[center][color=#00ff00][b]~ Bomb Tech Grenade 3 wood 15* ~[/b][/color][/center]
[center][color=#0000ff][b]~ Mizuno Mx-300 5-GW ~[/b][/color][/center]
[center][color=#0000ff][b]~ Bomb Tech Grenade 56* Black Oxide ~[/b][/color][/center]
[center][color=#0000ff][b]~ Ping Craz-E Center shafted ~[/b][/color][/center]
[center][color=#0000ff][b]~ Penta ~[/b][/color][/center]

[quote name='Clevelandjunkie' post='829367' date='Dec 18 2007, 02:46 PM']I have noticed a difference in yardage and its for the better, I usually have my Irons bent 2* strong in all lofts but these are going to stay the way they are Because I am hitting my 5 iron now where I would hit my 3 iron beorehand. Im in love with these Irons. I played some hogans for years and never thought I could replace those but these have taken the top spot in my bag.Was hitting there MP-r wedge around yesterday and liked it a great bit too. May take my Vokeys out the bag for a little bit.[/quote]

Glad to here you are so happy with your 67's. I love mine as well, especially how easily they work the ball. I know I keep inquiring about distance loss. My real problem with the distance loss is when I try to step on one, like try to get an extra 10 sometimes 15 yards extra on a club to maximize spin. (for tucked pins and such) I am definitely not as successful as I used to be. I just can't add the extra yardage. I hope I am being clear, I know I am being picky. They are still the best clubs I have ever laid my hands on. I know your testing the MP-R wedges. Those are great clubs. Have you tried the newer MP-T wedges with the C-grind? I have three of those in my bag. The 60-5, 56-10 and the 51-6 black nickel, they are awesome. I hope you pull the trigger and get them, tough to beat forged clubs. I have considered bending my irons a couple of degrees stronger but was told that doing this would screw up the bounce. Sounds like it wasn't a problem for you. Did you notice a trajectory change? Higher or lower? Thanks for the feedback.

TM M2
TM SLDR 3-W
TM SLDR Hybrid
Mizuno MP-4 3-W C-Taper X
SM6 50
MACK D 58
Daddy Long Legs
Chrome Soft/Titleist AVX

• 3 weeks later...

SSMP67 what shafts do you have?

I have MP-33s S300 stiff, I have been hitting thet 67s in a Simulator (winter) over the past 3 weeks, also S300 stiff. I hit the 6i the same as my MP-33. 185 carry, slight fad. 3* up 1.5" long in the shafts. It was warm here the past two days so I got to hit them outside. I experienced the same with the 67 as in the simulator. I also noticed that when I really tried to go at one I got the same great ball flight, little higher as would be expected, added distance as expected. When i try to go at the 33s I get balooning.

Its not being picky, its golf, golf is a game of inches, heck even milimeters at times LOL.

As for the S58s I was set to get them but being a MP-33 guy I just couldnt pull the trigger. I like them one day, not the next. Although I was about 10-15 yards longer on average with them. I was hitting the 6i 195-200. Very very low ballflight. AWT shafts and ZZ shafts.

I do like the lighter shafts though so I may look at my 67s with the DG Superlite when I get my set of 67s.

Wolverine318,

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. I use the TT DG S300 shafts and from your 6-irons numbers it sounds like we have about the same distances. The ballooning effect you talked about with the mp-33s is what I was talking about with my 67s. To be honest I might have just had a couple bad days in a row on the course( bad swings, yardage misjudgements, cautiousness, etc...) and had a slight overreaction. I didn't realize how many times I try to hit it a little harder. I have since been able to pull these shots off. These clubs really are terrific as you know from your testing, even when you go after them! I hope you choose the mp-67s. Good luck and have fun with which ever set you pick.

GO CHARGERS!

TM M2
TM SLDR 3-W
TM SLDR Hybrid
Mizuno MP-4 3-W C-Taper X
SM6 50
MACK D 58
Daddy Long Legs
Chrome Soft/Titleist AVX

When I really Get on one I notice my ballflight take a ballooning effect and Its exactly what I want If Im hitting a long Iron into a tucked pin or small green.

It was really slow at work today so I got to hit all of my irons off the lie board and I am about a degree and a half flat. Rechecked my lofts and every single one was dead on what Mizuno says they are. The only one was my 54* it was more like 53.5. Mizuno Really sets the standard in my eyes. I have neever taken a set of irons from any manufacture and checked their lofts and have every single one of them be dead on what they say they are, NEVER!

[center][color=#00ff00][b]~ Bomb Tech Grenade 9* Matrix Radix S7~[/b][/color][/center]
[center][color=#00ff00][b]~ Bomb Tech Grenade 3 wood 15* ~[/b][/color][/center]
[center][color=#0000ff][b]~ Mizuno Mx-300 5-GW ~[/b][/color][/center]
[center][color=#0000ff][b]~ Bomb Tech Grenade 56* Black Oxide ~[/b][/color][/center]
[center][color=#0000ff][b]~ Ping Craz-E Center shafted ~[/b][/color][/center]
[center][color=#0000ff][b]~ Penta ~[/b][/color][/center]

• 5 weeks later...

I've recently been going through a phase of trying new clubs. I've been playing the Titleist 990's for about 3 years and just wanted to try something new. Within the last 3 months, I've had the Nike forged blades, Titleist 775's and finally the Mizuno MP-67's. I must say that the 67's are going to be the last set I use because they are just that nice.

Feel: Of course they are very smooth on center hits and mishits arent that bad either. I found the 755's to be kinda clunky, but I think the Nike's had the best feel of all when struck in the center.

Distance: Compared to my 990's, these are about a club shorter but that could also be because its about 40 degrees so I will see once the weather warms up. I found the 755's and the Nikes to be the same length as the Mizuno's. Mishits travel about a club less than perfect hits wheres the 755's were much more forgiving.

Ballflight: I've always been a low ball hitter but I find these get up pretty well. A nice mid height, boring trajectory. When I put a good swing on these things, the ball stays on the intended line. I tend to hit the ball without too much draw or fade so I feel like i can aim right at the flag and thats where it going to go.

Looks: Obviously blades will always look better than cavity backs. The Mizuno's are actually larger than your standard blade (at least in my opinion) so they instill alot of confidence over the ball, plus they are just so damn pretty. I find myself just staring at them some nights.

Scotty

• 4 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Everyone has said that they have put DG S300 or X100s in the 67's. I have the S300 in mine and I am looking to put in Project X 6.0s in them. I hit my buddies 57s with the 6.0 projects and they were like shooting fish in a barrel. Such a tight shot dispersion. So I am thinking of switching shafts to the Projects. Any thoughts either way!

Everyone has said that they have put DG S300 or X100s in the 67's. I have the S300 in mine and I am looking to put in Project X 6.0s in them. I hit my buddies 57s with the 6.0 projects and they were like shooting fish in a barrel. Such a tight shot dispersion. So I am thinking of switching shafts to the Projects. Any thoughts either way!

Flighted or Non-Flighted?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Greetings Gentlemen/Ladies!

New to the site so I haven't set everything up yet with details of my bag, but I have to opine on the latest Mizuno MP-67 demo I've had over the past week.

Currently game Titleist AP2 irons (Project X 5.5) and Vokey wedges.

Over the course of the previous year my game has evolved to a 1.9 index. My main complaint with the AP2 came down to trajectory and distance control. Some folks love these irons, but they are less than optimum for me.

I'm mainly dissatisfied with the Project X 5.5 (too soft) and the muted feel of the clubface. Workability is OK, but the ballflight was WAY TOO HIGH.

On to the Mizzys. Before the AP2, I was gaming the MP-60 and should have just stayed put. Must admit my affinity for new clubs -- call me a HO -- I can take it!

Over the past few weeks, I've demoed the MP-32,52,57,62, and 67. All of these clubs have their merits but I narrowed it down to the MP-32,62, and 67 for serious consideration. I also experimented with both S300 and X100 shafts for each model. All demos were on the range and from the fairway on my home course which is very tight and unforgiving.

My driver swingspeed is consistently 110-115. I can go higher but the results are not consistent with FIRs.

I think the shaft is as important as the clubhead so definitely take a look at all options. I just did not "feel the love" for any project X shafts on the monitor before going to the course.

I started with the MP-62 and was pleased with the results across the board. The MP-32 was certainly less forgiving but I still loved it in the testing. I was thinking the MP-67 was a lost cause since it APPEARED to be the least forgiving of all three options. I probably hit 100 balls with each of the models in a 6-iron on the serious testing day.

I was blown away at the performance of MP-67. You name it and it can be accomplished. Tiger talks about the nine iron shots he brings to the practice tee. LOW-MED-HI and LEFT-CENTER-RIGHT. If you can play all nine shots with consistency, you are a decent player and have the right instruments to confidently approach surgery on the course.

These sticks do it all. They are stock lofted 1* weaker than many irons on the market, so distance was a concern for me. NOT and issue. In fact, these were consistently longer than the MP-32 and MP-62. Mishits were few, feedback was apparent, but forgiveness and performance were surpisingly good.

I think we all gain from confidence and concistency with any iron.

These bad boys are already on order!

I also added the MP-T wedges -- 51/56/60.

I also added the MP-600 driver -- 8*. This will complement the Tour Edge CB2 15* fairway wood quite well.

With a brand new Mizuno staff bag to round out the mix, I'd say the bank account took a hit -- but CHICKS are digging me all over the PLANET! LOL!

Happy Hunting -- Mizuno Style!

:partytime2:

• 2 weeks later...
Update to the bag and response to above post. Loved the 67s and the 62s equally but got a steal on the 62s from the local golf shop and cnx the 67 order.

Decided on a touch more forgiveness but the 67s are no joke -- great sticks!

In this economy, had to save a few bones!

I wasn't talking about you specifically, but the whole review section in general. People say the club is the best thing they've ever used, but don't play it. The whole thing is hypocritical.

• 2 weeks later...

Just hit the 67s to compare against the VR Blades from Nike. The VRs were winning my heart over in every comparison I tried (pretty much every major manufacturer's blades and tour cavs). These Mizunos are the first club to make me second guess buying the VRs. Best feedback of all the irons I've hit, lower ball flight than the VRs. I'll probably hit a few other Mizuno's before I make my final decision. Really superb iron though.

• 1 month later...

I got my set last year and I'm still playing them. I love these things. Something that people don't talk about much is turf interation. In my opinion the way these things feel going through the turf is amazing. The sole grind on these irons really helps when your fairways aren't in terrific shape. I'm keeping mine, but I don't change clubs often, I spend my money on lessons.

Callaway Big Bertha (2014) 9.0* setting (N/S) Fubuki ZT 60 x 45.5"
Cobra bio cell + 13.5 and 18.5 Matrix Q3 stiff
Callaway X2 Hot Pro (3* 4-GW) Modus 130 stiff
Vokey SM5 52/8 and 58/12
Scotty Cameron Pro Platnium Mid Slant

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/436612-mizs-witb/

i used them all last year then my game went to crap... i just picked up a set of 62's and have been using them... i def am benefiting from the tad bit of forgivness of the 62's especially on thin shots... with the 67's if you hit them thin.. they do not go anywhere and they freaking sting your hand... but when you hit them on the sweet spot....there is really no better feeling

my swing is starting to come around and i will try to post a review of my findings between the two irons.. i hope i can get my game back to where it was so i can start using the 67's again... the 62's are nice but are def different.. both looks from the topline and feel

• 3 weeks later...

Finally we got decent weather and I was able to go to the range for a bit and play 18 on Friday. I am coming from a set of Nike Pro Combo's with Rifle 6.0 shafts (bought early 2003). The 67's are everything I hoped they would be. I had no problem hitting the long irons even though it is early in the season. I also find the scoring irons to be so pure, it is almost hard to describe. Like many I was a bit apprehensive about getting a full set of blades and almost ordered the 62's. I am glad I went with these irons. I find the distance to easily be comparable to my Nike's even though they are 1 degree weaker lofts. I was able to hit a 9 iron 155 yards into a par three on Friday that was playing down wind and have the ball (Z Star) backup about 8 feet. The new grooves are helpful in that way. PS - I generally play a 140 yard 9 iron so that should tell you the kind of wind we were playing in.

All in all I am thus far very pleased. I also played some pretty fun shots on the range working the ball left and right at will. And, I did not have any shots balloon on me during the hole round. Bottom line - for anyone who is a good ball striker and is on the fence these are the real deal. You will not be disappointed.

I just got fitted for some new clubs today. I hit a ton of blades and ended up choosing between the 67s and 62s. When I hit the 67s good they felt fantastic. I have a really consistent swing with my irons but I tend to put too much draw on the ball on my mis-hits. The mis-hits I found were quite exaggerated in the 67s. When I hit the 62s they had almost an equally great feeling on flush hits but when I mis-hit the ball there wasn't as strong of a dispersion. They felt just as good as the 67s, although I must say that the 67s felt just a tad better on flush hits. What made my decision on the 62s is I hit them with the Project X shafts and I couldn't hit a bad shot. I probably could have gotten the 67s but I fealt the 62s felt just as good and were much more forgiving. They also were both very workable.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally bought a set of Mizuno MP-67's. After all the talk about how difficult they are to play, I was kinda worried they would disappoint my expectations. I am an 8 hdcp. mainly because I'm a "head case" when it comes to putting. I've played a lot of great clubs over the years (ie: Mizuno Grads, Ping i2, i3+ Blades, S59's, S58's, Mizuno MP-32's & Mp-62's) , but I have truly found the one club that does just what I ask it to do. Many have commented on the workability of the 67, but I feel a real connection w/ these and feel like you have total control. I have really not noticed a difficulty hitting the 67 pure compared to the 32's which were my second favorite iron. The 32 is awesome, but I think the 67 just plays better (sole grind, setup, and shotmaking predictability). The feel is at least as good as the 32, but I feel the 67 has a better sound. I haven't noticed much difference in trajectory, my natural flight is high, but these clubs can be knocked down easily and are capable of all the shots: Trap-Draw, High Draw, Knockdown Cut, High Fade.

All I can say is the clubs exceeded all expectations, I literally hit them good the first 10 balls I hit at the range. No getting used to them or none of that. If you are playing a players' iron now, you owe it to yourslf to at least demo a set of MP-67's. Everybody knows about Mizuno and to me this is there best ever (I also demo'ed MP-33's, just preferred the 67's).