2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Phil kicked off Duck Dynasty!

See The Line

I just read on msn news that Phil has been indefinitely kicked off the show, Duck Dynasty. Made negative comments regarding the gay/lesbian community. It's going to be weird to not see him on the show once any pre-recorded episodes including him run out.

Titleist 913 D3 10.5*
Adams Super XTD 19*
Mizuno H4 21*
Taylormade TP MB 4-PW
Bettinardi Kuchar 1 - 35"
Titleist Vokey 54, 58, 62*

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He wasn't kicked off, he was suspended. The new season airs soon so I would be surprised if they re-edited everything to keep him out of it. The bigger issue is why he was suspended. He was asked a question. He gave an honest answer. Freedom of speech apparently doesn't mean much if you get a couple of left wing groups declaring a TV station supports racism and biggotry.

Whats even stupider, is that his original comment was completely innocuous, but when he tried to turn it around, he just made it worse.

People are way too sensitive these days. I can't stand it.

Ping G25 w/ RIP Phenom
Adams Super LS Hybrid 17*
Adams SS Super Hybrid 19*
i20 4-UW
Taylormade TM-110
Cleveland CG14 56 & 60

[quote name='xThor' timestamp='1387495248' post='8325015']
Just because you have the right or freedom to say something, doesn't mean you are excluded from the ramifications of saying it.

Freedom of speech has nothing to do with this.
[/quote]

So who determines what people can say? The LGBT? Seems fair, no?

Titleist TSi3 8* // TENSEI 1K Black 65s

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 15* // Kai'li 80x
Taylormade SLDR 17* Rescue // Speeder 9.3s
Taylormade SLDR 19* Rescue // Matrix Black Tie 95s
Srixon ZX5 4-PW // Nippon Modus 120s
50* & 56* Taylormade MG3 // Tour Issue S-200
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

[quote name='baseballfrk8998' timestamp='1387496219' post='8325091']
Just because you have the right or freedom to say something, doesn't mean you are excluded from the ramifications of saying it.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Thor - What do you mean that freedom of speech has nothing to do with this. He was asked a question and gave an honest answer. He should be punished for voicing an opinion based off of his religious beliefs and real life experiences? It's not like he yelled fire in a crowded theater, tried to incite a riot, or used hate speech. He even said in the end he loves everyone and that God will sort it out. What's the problem?

[quote name='gambit' timestamp='1387497151' post='8325169']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Thor - What do you mean that freedom of speech has nothing to do with this. He was asked a question and gave an honest answer. He should be punished for voicing an opinion based off of his religious beliefs and real life experiences? It's not like he yelled fire in a crowded theater, tried to incite a riot, or used hate speech. He even said in the end he loves everyone and that God will sort it out. What's the problem?
[/quote]

Was he thrown in jail or fined by the government for his remarks? NO. His freedom of speech remains intact.

Again, the first amendment does not matter in this instance.

However, he has a CONTRACT with A&E for this show. Likely they have certain clauses in it, and HIS words prompted action by the ones who control that contract. That's all there is to this story. No different than any celebrity in the past this has happened to,

edit: I watch the show occasionally, but am not a die hard fan. Do I disagree with what he said? Yes, that's my opinion. Do I think he deserved to be suspended? No, but that's not for me to decide. I'm merely stating that freedom of speech has nothing to do with this. It involves a private contract.

#TeamCallaway

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

"Freedom of Speech" refers to the government subjecting you to punishment for something you say. If you say things that might hurt your employer, generally your employer can fire you.

That being said this was ridiculous...just another example of the left's definition of freedom of speech....get rid of anyone who says anything with which they disagree. This is generally a view shared by most of the world's dictators.

Can't wait til the moderators figure out this is a political discussion and pull the plug.

[quote name='dukeman' timestamp='1387497640' post='8325223']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

"Freedom of Speech" refers to the government subjecting you to punishment for something you say. If you say things that might hurt your employer, generally your employer can fire you.

That being said this was ridiculous...just another example of the left's definition of freedom of speech....get rid of anyone who says anything with which they disagree. This is generally a view shared by most of the world's dictators.

Can't wait til the moderators figure out this is a political discussion and pull the plug.
[/quote]

agree 100%.
nothing good will come out of this thread

#TeamCallaway

[quote name='xThor' timestamp='1387497999' post='8325247']
[quote name='dukeman' timestamp='1387497640' post='8325223']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

agree 100%.
nothing good will come out of this thread
[/quote]

I agree about the part of government and I'm not trying to make this a political thread. I don't agree with what he said either, but I also respect his right to his opinion and to be honest about it. People are so sensitive that you have to be careful not to stir the pot. These other groups that try to shove their beliefs in everyone's face can't respect someone else's beliefs because it doesn't match theirs. And because of these groups he was suspended from work. If he bad mouthed the station or the show, i.e. Charlie Sheen, then I would totally understand his discipline. In any regards, him and Jase are my two favortites on the show. If he goes, I go.

It is very sad that the hurt feelings of the minority seem to cause shockwaves in our society. Very sad when someone can't give an honest answer about their personal beliefs without offending someone or be persecuted. He was asked, he answered, and if anyone heard it, he didn't even say it like the media is reporting. He lumped a lot of things together he didn't like. I may like big girls covered in tattoos. Hope the skinny blondes aren't upset!

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

The first amendment, which is what guarantees freedom of speech, protects us from government persecution. It's written to protect one from the government and government alone. It doesn't protect you from private entities not individuals. It also does not exempt one from consequences for their speech. He signed a contract, he violated said contract. Pretty simple. Those citing the first amendment need to read and comprehend the constitution.

Also, before it gets thrown out there , his civil rights were not violated either. The civil rights act if 1964 section 703 does not protect him from this.

I watch the show , it's funny. I also identify with the same religion as he does. I do not own A&E nor his contract, and I am not the one that gets to make the decision on his punishment. He made a mistake and said something he signed and agreed not to do. His fault , not A&E's fault.

They've already filmed some episodes for the next season. They're on hiatus right now and will resume filming at a later date. He'll be in every episode next season. I liken this to an NFL suspension, after the heat dies down , he'll be back.

[quote name='RookieBlue7' timestamp='1387506331' post='8325877']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

The first amendment, which is what guarantees freedom of speech, protects us from government persecution. It's written to protect one from the government and government alone. It doesn't protect you from private entities not individuals. It also does not exempt one from consequences for their speech. He signed a contract, he violated said contract. Pretty simple. Those citing the first amendment need to read and comprehend the constitution.

Also, before it gets thrown out there , his civil rights were not violated either. The civil rights act if 1964 section 703 does not protect him from this.

I watch the show , it's funny. I also identify with the same religion as he does. I do not own A&E nor his contract, and I am not the one that gets to make the decision on his punishment. He made a mistake and said something he signed and agreed not to do. His fault , not A&E's fault.

They've already filmed some episodes for the next season. They're on hiatus right now and will resume filming at a later date. He'll be in every episode next season. I liken this to an NFL suspension, after the heat dies down , he'll be back.
[/quote]

He made a mistake? What?? Ahh, no.

Agree or disagree, THAT did not happen. And maybe they should release the entirety of his interview to put it in context...

Edit- and for the record, although I reside firmly on one side of certain beliefs, I am not so blind as to toe the " company line". Whatsoever. I absolutely believe in tolerance and happiness FOR ALL. no matter the situation...

Unless it was INDEED written into his contract(which I would find shocking), A&E suspending him for what he firmly believes in is flat out wrong...

Interestingly enough, it doesn't draw attention when it goes the other way...

[quote name='bscinstnct' timestamp='1387511517' post='8326245']
I don't know him. Heard about this. What is Duck Dynasty?

I know I sound dumb.

I will say this.

Duck is good eatin'! Confit Duck leg! Duck breast. The skin is sublime. Man, Duck is so good.

So, what happened anyway?
[/quote]

bscinstnct you are a sexy man. You have a future as a comedian.

Absolutely hilarious my friend.

Wishon 919 THI 11* 0.5* Open
Wishon 929 HS 14.5*, 19* 0.5 Open
Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*
Wishon 5, 6 560 MC 7-PW MMC MB
Wishon 54, 59 Micro-Groove HM
All shafts are S2S Stepless Steel Wishon

[quote name='tembolo1284' timestamp='1387514080' post='8326479']
What happened anyway? He doesn't like gays?
[/quote]

I'm paraphrasing here but he basically said that he does not understand why a man would sleep with another man when you look at all the goods on offer with a woman. Also, he said that homosexuality is a sin (which is correct according to his religion) and they won't be allowed into the kingdom of heaven.

But he also said that he doesn't discriminate against someone because of their sexuality and that all men are products of the God Almighty. This part has been conveniently left out in most reports.

Now, I'm fine with what Phil has said. Yes, according to his beliefs, it's a sin. And he's very well entitled to his opinion and express it with the protection of his constitution, however wrong or misguided you think he is on this matter.

Personally, I am not shackled by religious beliefs and feel people should be allowed to sleep with whoever they choose. As long as it's consenting and no-one is getting hurt then it doesn't really matter.

Who cares where you stick your willy? My dad once stuck his in a letter box and he's a great dad........ Terrible postman, but a great dad.

Anyway this is getting too political and religious so I'll just say: IBTL

Titleist 905R - 10.5°
Titleist 904f - 17°/22°
Mizuno MP32 - 4-PW
Cleveland 588 Forged 50°/54°/60°
Wilson Staff 8882

[quote name='joeshmo' timestamp='1387535384' post='8326959']
He also said blacks were better off before the Civil Rights Act.
Cuz when he was young and worked in the fields with some
black folk they were always singing and happy.
[/quote]

That's not exactly what he said.. He said he never saw them mistreated and that he worked with them and they were happy.

[quote]
Where we lived was all farmers. The blacks worked for the farmers. I hoed cotton with them. I'm with the blacks, because we're white trash," he said. "They're singing and happy. I never heard one of them, one black person, say, ‘I tell you what: These doggone white people’—not a word!... Pre-entitlement, pre-welfare, you say: Were they happy? They were godly; they were happy; no one was singing the blues.”
[/quote]

Titleist TSi3 8* // TENSEI 1K Black 65s

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 15* // Kai'li 80x
Taylormade SLDR 17* Rescue // Speeder 9.3s
Taylormade SLDR 19* Rescue // Matrix Black Tie 95s
Srixon ZX5 4-PW // Nippon Modus 120s
50* & 56* Taylormade MG3 // Tour Issue S-200
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2