My Dog Just Ate 38 Reece's Minis

WilliamTighe

So my girl has done it all, I came home from my last final yesterday only to see that Eve had eaten an entire bag (38 count) of the Reeces minis. She vomited a ton yesterday (apologize for the image); and is a coonhound&Lab mutt that weighs about 60 lbs. Has anyone experienced something like this before? I'm a little worried but she's eaten everything, so I presume she'll be fine!

-Willie

Titleist 910 d3 9.5
Titleist 910 fd 13.5
Titleist 913 h 17
Mizuno MP 4 4-P
TVD 54 M, 61K
Newport 2 Midslant torched

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If she threw up, that probably got a lot of it out. Plus, she's pretty big and from what I know, a dog would have to eat quite a bit for it to hurt them. And IIRC I *think* milk chocolate isn't quite as bad as more potent chocolate. Just keep a close eye on her. Half the time these dogs would be cheaper if they just ate the cash directly out of your wallet.

Ping G25 w/ RIP Phenom
Adams Super LS Hybrid 17*
Adams SS Super Hybrid 19*
i20 4-UW
Taylormade TM-110
Cleveland CG14 56 & 60

[quote name='RJRJRJ' timestamp='1387508979' post='8326043']
I Half the time these dogs would be cheaper if they just ate the cash directly out of your wallet.
[/quote]

ha ha!!

I'm certain I spent way more on my Dalmatian's knee surgery then I did for BOTH my knee scopes...

Anything for my boy though- may he rest in peace... :)

If she's okay a day after she should be just fine, especially since she's a big dog. I once had a Shepherd who ate a whole box of chocolate covered cherries (only he left the cherries on the floor), and he also ate one of those round bank-like tube boxes of Tootsie Rolls. After that, I stopped wrapping those kinds of things & putting them under the tree. The day he ate the tootsie rolls I'd come home during lunch break because I'd had to leave him in the house due to really bad weather. Anyway, when I walked in I immediately saw all the tootsie roll wrappers all over the place. Where was HE??? He was on my bed with his head under the pillows. Of course, he thought I couldn't see him that way. God....I loved that dog!!!!!! I can still get tears & he's been gone 20 yrs.

The darker the chocolate, the worse off it is for the dog. If it's milk chocolate, and the cheapest milk chocolate like any confection has in it, the dog will be fine.

Our beagles got into a package of After Eight mints a couple winters ago. After devouring the lion's share of the mints, the male proceeded to puke on our bed. Lovely.

In the meantime, we put them both outside while we changed the sheets and cleaned up. Turns out, the male puked again outside and the female ate it (dogs are so dumb). After we deemed them ok to come inside, the female proceeded to puke on our bed.

This is pretty much how my life rolls.

R35

I feel like every dog owner has a great story or two that involves food. This one time my family came home to find my dog eve in the kitchen with a pizza box on the ground and my other dog Sophie sitting by the door outside!

Titleist 910 d3 9.5
Titleist 910 fd 13.5
Titleist 913 h 17
Mizuno MP 4 4-P
TVD 54 M, 61K

[quote name='WilliamTighe' timestamp='1387560530' post='8328335']
I feel like every dog owner has a great story or two that involves food. This one time my family came home to find my dog eve in the kitchen with a pizza box on the ground and my other dog Sophie sitting by the door outside!
[/quote]

I had a dog who used to grab potted plants by the trunk and run around the house with them while we were gone. Shattered pots, dirt everywhere. We started having to lock her in the laundry room when we would leave, and eventually she figured out how to turn the [i]round [/i]knob with her mouth and escape. She was truly psychotic.

Ping G25 w/ RIP Phenom
i20 4-UW
Taylormade TM-110
Cleveland CG14 56 & 60

[quote name='WilliamTighe' timestamp='1387560530' post='8328335']
[/quote]

No question about it...

My Dalmatian once HOPPED on the counter and took not one but TWO bone in ribeyes, devoured them, then went about his business like nothing had happened. Once I came back in from firing up the grill, etc , I'm looking around like, what the hell? There is NO WAY he could get to them. Then I realized he was still carrying around one of the bones- I could do nothing but smile and laugh. I mean, he got to them!

Deep down he knew he was wrong though... :)

I venture Eve will be fine. I still miss my dear girl Wriggles, a Benji type, who passed in 2004 at almost 16. ( She cost me a great deal for a number of operations and vet visits, but she was well worth it. She was my best buddy!) She once dug up leftover fish that she swiped from the table, several months after the fact. Ate same with no ill effects.

My next door neighbors got a beautiful golden retriever puppy in February. Since they both work, I've "adopted" it, and let it out several times a day. Penny and I have become good pals, and she now weighs at least 60 pounds. She will tear apart anything in her reach and try to eat it. Clothes, shoes, plastic items shredded, even Christmas lights pulled and chewed. I worry about what items she might have ingested, but she seems no worse the wear.

Dogs are very much like children. It seems a miracle that they both survive childhood and puppyhood.

I once was a petsitter for a little Schnauzer. She would take the dish towels & washcloths that she could reach & bury them in the potted plants scattered around her house. ....sometimes she'd bury socks too. They all have their funny little quirks. One of my favorite Shepherds over the years had a fetish for wet washcloths. If he found one in the bathroom he'd put it on the floor & roll all over it, on his back, his side, his head...too funny to watch. We got to where we'd leave a wet one out for him so he could feel like he'd "stolen" it. A stolen wet washcloth was much more fun!

The issue isn't the chocolate, but the peanut butter. An amount like that could cause an acute reaction pancreatitis. Enough can kill a dog. If I'm a betting man, a vet trip (or just a call to your vet) might be a good call.

I wish you luck with your pup.

--kC

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

[quote name='Imp' timestamp='1387590854' post='8330063']
The issue isn't the chocolate, but the peanut butter. An amount like that could cause an acute reaction pancreatitis. Enough can kill a dog. If I'm a betting man, a vet trip (or just a call to your vet) might be a good call.

I wish you luck with your pup.

--kC
[/quote]

KC,

I can fall asleep easier tonight knowing she's eaten an entire jar of peanut butter before lol. I appreciate your concern though! She's looking and feeling a lot better.

Titleist 910 d3 9.5
Titleist 910 fd 13.5
Titleist 913 h 17
Mizuno MP 4 4-P
TVD 54 M, 61K

Growing up my family's dog ate an entire bag of toll house chocolate chips. We still have no idea how the little guy got the bag. He was
Vomiting, shaking, etc for a good 24 hours

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

My grandmother used to feed her dog M&Ms by the handful.

As mentioned earlier, the darker the chocolate, the worse it is for them. The weak milk chocolate used in cheap candies is rather harmless, unless they eat a boatload of it. I would think they would get full before they ate enough to do any damage, especially in the thin layer like on the Reese's.

[quote name='TheMackDaddy' timestamp='1387593418' post='8330273']
We used to have an Irish Setter who lived through pretty much everything. He ate chocolate, rat poison, and got ran over by the mail truck and STILL lived. He lived to be 12 years old.
[/quote]

LOL Im laying in bed with an epic hangover and this cheered me up.

Ping G25 w/ RIP Phenom
i20 4-UW
Taylormade TM-110
Cleveland CG14 56 & 60

MackDaddy,

my Springer Spaniel (Barney) lived to be 14. He was hit by a mail truck at just over a year and broke his hip. He had a hip operation that left him with a funny looking walk, but he could still motor. He suffered from an acute anxiety disorder and would eat anything and everything he could get his mouth around. One sunny day (just shy of his 4th birthday) he began to poop blood (literally blood) and we rushed him to the vet. An X-ray revealed that his stomach/colon were filled with bizarre objects. A GIJoe figure and a wool slipper among the most outrageous. He had emergency surgery to save his life. He travelled everywhere with our family and I miss the sight of his flappy gums and tongue hanging out the car window. He's been gone for five years and I think of him often.

William,

I hope your doggy is well.

Happy Holidays.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*
Adams Super S Hybrids 22*, 25*
NCW 24*, 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*
Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Bradley, Geom, Machine, Mannkrafted, Ping, Rife, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

My 10 year old daughter won a jar or Reese cups at school by guessing how many were in the jar. There were 212, she came home put it on her desk and we went to B-Ball practice. My 12 year old lab that weighs 100 lbs ate them all. And yes he threw up all over the place at 3:00am. The next day he got in the pantry and ate a 3lb bag of rigatoni. That night I went to pet smart and bought a cage.

My beagle ate everything it could. We took everything away from him we possibly could and he tore up the tile off the floor somehow and ate that. He was fine everytime except once he ate/drank an entire quart of oil. Bottle and all. He was down for a good 2 weeks. He refused to eat, we had to make him browned hamburger and white rice. He ate that. Then we went to a small piece dog food with hamburger grease dripped over it. He lapped that up. Eventually back to normal. Crazy dog.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

Oh, and FYI, never feed a dog popcorn. They can't get the kernels unstuck like humans can with floss/finger nails. So the kernel will get stuck and agitate and often lead to tooth loss.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

[quote name='markheardjr' timestamp='1387923694' post='8345085']
My beagle ate everything it could. We took everything away from him we possibly could and he tore up the tile off the floor somehow and ate that. He was fine everytime except once he ate/drank an entire quart of oil. Bottle and all. He was down for a good 2 weeks. He refused to eat, we had to make him browned hamburger and white rice. He ate that. Then we went to a small piece dog food with hamburger grease dripped over it. He lapped that up. Eventually back to normal. Crazy dog.
[/quote]

omg this is so true. My sister had a beagle sheppard mix. Looked like a fat beagle. When she passed away, I took the dog. She would come over and regale me with tales about his eating habbits. He consumed parts of remote controls, 2 different cell phones, a good portion of a 3 foot length of 1/2" dowel rod.. And i dismissed it as her being unable to "control her animal' Well he showed me quickly he was relentless. he destroyed anything i left in places he could get too easily and a few things i still have no idea how he got. Incredible

He too once ate a shockingly large amount of chocolate and It did nothing but make him an uncontrollable spaz for about 13 hours. He would not stop, constant motion. Never puked but laid around the next day and slept.

Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
Hybrid undecided
Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck