2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Any other coffee lovers here?

bub72ck

I know a lot of people drink coffee as a daily ritual but does anybody else really "enjoy" a fresh cup of the best coffee they can find?

My dad opened a coffee shop a couple of years ago and while I have always liked coffee I didn't understand how good it could be until I started messing with fresh beans and a brewing method other than the Mr.Coffee from Wal Mart.

I invested about $100 in a Hario hand grinder, Aeropress plunger, and some coffee vaults from Friis to make a really good home set up.

My favorite beans:

Ethiopian Yirgacheffe

Kenya AA

Mexican Altura

Maui Special

Anybody want to share brewing tips, favorite beans, etc. Also, if anybody wants to make some killer coffee at home I'll be glad to share my research.

Titleist TSi2 10* Ventus Blue 6X
Titleist TS2 16* Diamana S+ 60X 
Taylormade Rescue 22* Aldila XVS9
Titleist T100S TT Dynalite Sensicore X100 4-PW
Vokey SM5 50*, 54* and 60* TT DGS400
SIK Pro Custom

I like coffee and enjoy good coffee from your typical retail places like Caribou, Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts, etc. Definitely not a high end or gourmet consumer. My favorite store-bought thus far is Caribou's Reindeer Blend. A relative brought us back some local beans from Costa Rica once and that was amazing, although I'll probably never find it again, should have kept the bag, haha.

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

On weekdays, I'll make a cup every morning before I leave, then typically have some Dukin in the office. On lazy weekends I'll slurp down 3 or 4 cups at home while I waste away the morning and afternoon.

I typically use an Aeropress, a Bodum burr grinder, and a Cuisinart electric kettle that has various temperature options. Works pretty well for me, though I should probably experiment a bit more with water temperature, grinds, and brewing time to see if I can improve my method.

I was drinking a lot of the Peets medium roast coffees for awhile, but the grocery store stopped carrying them and only has a few darker roasts from them. Those are also good, but I think I need to find a good online source for beans and try out some different things.

I just bought a Breville automatic milk frother/heater for a Christmas present for my fiancee, which is pretty cool, if overpriced. Don't have an espresso machine to go with it, but it makes some good faux latte/cappuccinos with espresso beans through the Aeropress.

I love my coffee. Try to french press most of the time but some mornings before work, I just don't have it in me. That's why I also have a Bunn.

After some reading on a few coffee lover forums, and some tinkering on my own, here is my method for a nice cup of FP:

[b]Coarse[/b] grind and use about 4oz of water for every ground tablespoon
Boil your water, and let it rest until it hits 210 deg
Pour the water into the glass with grounds at bottom and steep for 2 minutes
Sitr
Steep for another two minutes
Pour and enjoy!!

Favorite bean from my local roaster, [url="http://www.beanetics.com/"]Beanetics[/url]:

Atomic Espresso Blend

I'm also on a quest to find the best cappuccino on the east coast. In VA, the pickens are slim, but Beanetics does a decent job-- the front runner right now is Gregory's in NY City. Proper technique and they are a work of art when finished. Next time anyone is in town go there!

I have 2 Pavoni espresso machines. A quick double in the morning is all I drink any more. I buy only fresh roasted whole beans from a local guy either the "Italian" espresso or the "house" espresso blend beans. Both of those have more crema than one gets with the OTC whole beans, which usually have none (who knows when they were roasted).

I used to drink Blue Mountain and Kona whole beans with conventional coffee.

JBeam ZY-11 10* Basileus Alpha S / Crazy 435ii 10.5* Basileus AAA X
Tour Issue TM Superfast 2.0 TP 13.5* & 18* UST VTS SIlver 7S
Apex Pro Recoil 95 R // Steelhead XR Pro Recoil ES 760
Vega VM06 50 - 54 - 58 Shimada W
Slighter Auburn

The Aeorpress really does an amazing job extracting flavor. I like it because it produces a "cleaner" cup than a traditional French Press. An electric kettle is the next item on my list. SullGolf, how do you like the Cuisinart kettle? I have read some reviews but haven't dropped the hammer yet as most of them are pretty expensive.

Puppetmaster, you can find Costa Rican beans online and probably at some local coffee shops. The distributor my dad buys from roasts every Tuesday and Thursday and has beans from all over the world.

SIK Pro Custom

As a young pup, I never was a coffee drinker. Even in the service, I never drank hot Joe. Twenty years or so ago, I bought a Mr. Coffee for my late father, and I began to drink coffee with him. I now drink at least two mugs of coffee a day, usually in the afternoon.

Never really drank anything but Folger's or Maxwell House. In the last couple years, the wife's been buying me Gevalia and Starbucks when it goes on sale. Now, I don't want to touch the cheap stuff. You can really tell the difference.

I hate to think about getting a fancy coffeemaker, and the ultra premium stuff. I'll have less money for golf.

Drink coffee and play well.

PS: A pipe full of tobacco enhances coffee. Too bad, smoking is verboten everywhere, even in my own house. The garage just doesn't cut it as a smoking lounge.

[quote name='Wriggles' timestamp='1388513548' post='8374479']
As a young pup, I never was a coffee drinker. Even in the service, I never drank hot Joe. Twenty years or so ago, I bought a Mr. Coffee for my late father, and I began to drink coffee with him. I now drink at least two mugs of coffee a day, usually in the afternoon.

Never really drank anything but Folger's or Maxwell House. In the last couple years, the wife's been buying me Gevalia and Starbucks when it goes on sale. Now, I don't want to touch the cheap stuff. You can really tell the difference.

[b]I hate to think about getting a fancy coffeemaker, and the ultra premium stuff. I'll have less money for golf.[/b]

PS: A pipe full of tobacco enhances coffee. Too bad, smoking is verboten everywhere, even in my own house. The garage just doesn't cut it as a smoking lounge.
[/quote]

The good thing is you can buy the Aeropress for $25.00 from Bed, Bath, and Beyond or from Amazon. Take the same coffee you have been drinking and make it with the Aeropress. You will be blown away.

SIK Pro Custom

[quote name='bub72ck' timestamp='1388514587' post='8374577']
[quote name='Wriggles' timestamp='1388513548' post='8374479']

[b]I hate to think about getting a fancy coffeemaker, and the ultra premium stuff. I'll have less money for golf.[/b]

[/quote]

The good thing is you can buy the Aeropress for $25.00 from Bed, Bath, and Beyond or from Amazon. Take the same coffee you have been drinking and make it with the Aeropress. You will be blown away.
[/quote]

Will buy one. Thanks for mentioning it.

The Cuisinart kettle is great overall. I got it as a gift, was just using a normal electric boiler before. I set it at 200F for coffee and just let it go. Occasionally it will boil when I have it at 200, so the temperature control isn't perfect. I think it happens when I have it filled to the top, and there's just a temperature gradient and the sensor is in a spot where it's still under 200. Doesn't happen often enough to bother me though.

I am also a long time coffee snob. These beans:

First-Colony-Organic-Whole-Bean-Coffee-Rainforest-Blend-075157068807.jpg

are really very good, certainly the best I've found in any store. If you see them, I'd recommend you try.

http://www.vitacost.com/first-colony-organic-whole-bean-coffee-rainforest-blend-24-oz

The store is out of them actually ... any good other organic dark roast beans out there?

[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno MP-650 8.5[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- Fubuki alpha 73s, D4[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]TEE CB5 16.5[/font]° - Kai'li 73s, D5[/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]TEE CB2 21[/font]° - Fubuki tour 73s, D6
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]MP-32 4-P [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]D6 - D9[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]MP-T 51.07[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]D9.5[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist SM 56.08[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]E0[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Sonartec t35 60.09[/font][/size][size=2]° [/size][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=2]- PX 5.5 E0.5[/size][/font]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]CAN'T PUTT WITH ANYTHING[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Bridgestone B330 RX[/font][/size]

Certainly I do not qualify as a coffee snob but I do truly like a good cup of coffee. When I'm home I have 2 eight ounce cups a day.
About 15 years ago a Baratza conical burr grinder was purchased. Still going strong. Well worth the money.
And I've tried (still own) French press, Chemex, some gizmo that works under vacuum to suck the water through the coffee grounds, etc.
Then a few years ago I found a "Clever Coffee Dripper". The search ended.
Miletta # 4 filter in the Clever (pre-wet the filter so it stays in place), 14g (which is has evolved into two scoops in my scoop) of whole bean coffee dumped in the grinder and ground with the setting half way between espresso and drip.
Pour the water onto the grounds, cover and let them steep for 2 minutes. (Some like 4 minutes better) And then drain the brew into a coffee cup and enjoy. NO SUGAR. To my taste buds sweet coffee is one the most vile flavors in life. But to each there own. Because some will call me a heathen for adding a bit of milk.

Dillano's Entrepreneur blend has made me a repeat customer. The Peru single origin is enjoyable. (about to run out)
[url="http://www.dillanos.com/"]http://www.dillanos.com/[/url]
CoffeeAM has some interesting choices. Yesterday some Jamaican and their house blend was ordered.
[url="http://www.coffeeam.com/"]http://www.coffeeam.com/[/url]
Bent Tree in Kent, OH is a local coffee roaster I've used. And like.
[url="https://benttreecoffee.com/"]https://benttreecoffee.com/[/url]

So after a couple of years of trial and error the above are pretty much my sole suppliers of whole beans.

And I really don't have a favorite. But I do know what I do not like... Columbian coffee. Again to each their own. Sorta like golf clubs... all a matter of personal taste.

PING G25 12 degree w/S+ @ 45"
Titleist 910F 17° / 910h 24° & 27°
Titleist 913Hd 20°
PING G25's 6-U KBS Tour - V
Cleveland RTX 53 / 588 56°
Callaway ProType ix 9ht

So glad you asked this because my wife and I have a favorite company, and a favorite that we buy from this company.

They are here in Ohio, the Silverbridge Coffee Company. [url="http://silverbridgecoffee.com/index.php?osCsid=91837075ac658efc83db19b2c16db14e"]http://silverbridgecoffee.com/index.php?osCsid=91837075ac658efc83db19b2c16db14e[/url]

Our favorite is called Jamaican me Crazy. [url="http://silverbridgecoffee.com/jamaican-crazy-p-49.html"]http://silverbridgecoffee.com/jamaican-crazy-p-49.html[/url]

We are like nuts over this coffee. They have gobs of flavors, but this is our favorite!

You just plain have to try our coffee!!!

I'm on my second cup. I take it fairly serious, as I roast my own coffee, I buy shb green coffee, just got 10 pounds of Guatemala Antigua grown.

The problem I run into is coffee varies year to year, and once you find something special, you better latch onto it, and buying green is the only way to store it for more than a month.

That being said I roast only enough for a few days at a time, usually a mix of dark for flavor, light for kick. Not to mention lighter roast has all the flavors of where it's grown.

I had some Brazilian coffee last year that was very nice, but Guatemalan normally has the chocolatey finish I'm fond of, though it's hard to beat some good Sumatra grown beans.

The grinder is one of the most important aspects of great coffee, and I broke down and bought something you only see in high end coffee shops.

Nectar of the gods

23383C2E-807D-4D70-B1B6-FE156AD238FC-6614-000007F3652ED8A2_zpsb83018c2.jpg

04023602-6EED-4340-8634-6A54F0F4BE2A-6560-000007E34E66C055_zps7cadd4b9.jpg

Cobra ZL Encore 8.5 Matrix 6Q3
TEE CB4 tour 15 RIP 70 Sigma
Titleist 909h 19 Voodoo
Mizuno Mp-53 4-pw DG progressive shafts
Odyssey Black ProType 10 Sm 4.5 TP ball
Mizuno raw haze 50, 56 Scratch 60

I've been wondering about the AeroPress.

For several years now I've been cold brewing a condensed coffee. It started out as something I did just for iced coffee in the summer. Now I have iced coffee year round. Only time I have hot coffee is if I'm out. I used to french press but find I don't like it as much as the cold brewed. I either have to try the AeroPress or get an espresso machine if I'm ever going to transition back to hot coffee at home.

I usually use Equal Exchange "Love Buzz" or "Mind Body and Soul".

Lots of awesome information in here and some beans I will have to try. I have tried Guatemala Antigua and Jamaican Me Crazy. Both good beans.

@fore Definitely give the Aeropress a try. I think you will be impressed.

You have an awesome setup 12tamale!

SIK Pro Custom

One of the BEST things i did for improving my coffee is buying a ZeroWater pitcher. Well worth the $30 price tag.

[url="http://www.amazon.com/ZeroWater-ZD-013-8-Cup-Pitcher/dp/B001CUMLOK/ref=sr_1_4?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1388613596&sr=1-4&keywords=zero+water"]http://www.amazon.com/ZeroWater-ZD-013-8-Cup-Pitcher/dp/B001CUMLOK/ref=sr_1_4?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1388613596&sr=1-4&keywords=zero+water[/url]

Distilled water is the way to go, I swear by it (for everything, not just coffee). I've never had to clean my coffee pot, just leave the lid open and [i]everything[/i] evaporates.

I got tired of buying the gallon jugs all the time and about 3 years ago I purchased the "mini classic II distiller". It was about $700, but very worth it. It runs for 4 hours and yields 3.5L of pure H2O on 700W of electricity. I may upgrade to a more serious distiller from polar bear as I have to run this one 7 or 8 times a week, but it really is great - simple and reliable. I never really trusted "filtered water" as it was never clear what was filtered and what wasn't. This is just pure H20, which makes sense to drink...

Also if you like non-black coffee, a scoop of vanilla ice cream (hagan daas) is worth trying. I did that for a few years ... but we kept running out of cream/sugar at work so I transitioned to black and it is the best way.

[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno MP-650 8.5[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- Fubuki alpha 73s, D4[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]TEE CB5 16.5[/font]° - Kai'li 73s, D5[/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]TEE CB2 21[/font]° - Fubuki tour 73s, D6
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]MP-32 4-P [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]D6 - D9[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]MP-T 51.07[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]D9.5[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist SM 56.08[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]E0[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Sonartec t35 60.09[/font][/size][size=2]° [/size][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=2]- PX 5.5 E0.5[/size][/font]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]CAN'T PUTT WITH ANYTHING[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Bridgestone B330 RX[/font][/size]

[/quote]

+1 for the Aeropress. I just started getting into coffee brewing my own coffee now that I started working from home. The Aeropress makes the best coffee and it is so easy to use. I haven't started grinding my own coffee yet, but that is my next endeavor.

G25 8.5* - Speeder TS 7.2x
RBZ Stage2 TS - Black Tie 8M3x
Anser 17* - SteelFiber 95x
J40 CB 4-PW - ss X100
J15 54/58
TM Spider Mallet

I'm wondering if 12tamale has been in my kitchen. The coffee cup looks very familiar.

That's a pfaltzgraff coffee cup with the brown drip pattern you have. I collect brown drip and have a service for over 10 of mainly McCoy and Hull dinnerware, but I also have some Roseville, and western ware, and Kathy Kale, and marcrest.

My mom has that pattern exclusively in her kitchen, and her mother, my grandma, I loved that woman, kind of got me started collecting.

I'm not going to bore everyone with the near 20 years of accumulation I have, the whole kitchen is full of the stuff, and the dining room, and 2 antique hutches. No 2 pieces are alike, great looking pattern.

Nice kitchen aid mixer.

57262F02-EBC0-4C36-8141-84075B68DA70_zps2wdfsrtg.jpg

Cobra ZL Encore 8.5 Matrix 6Q3
TEE CB4 tour 15 RIP 70 Sigma
Titleist 909h 19 Voodoo
Mizuno Mp-53 4-pw DG progressive shafts
Odyssey Black ProType 10 Sm 4.5 TP ball
Mizuno raw haze 50, 56 Scratch 60

[quote name='Cochese23' timestamp='1388630699' post='8382229']
[/quote]

+1 for the Aeropress. I just started getting into coffee brewing my own coffee now that I started working from home. The Aeropress makes the best coffee and it is so easy to use. I haven't started grinding my own coffee yet, but that is my next endeavor.
[/quote]

When a product has 1700+ 5-star reviews on Amazon, you can basically be assured it's legit.

I've had my Aeropress for 4 years now, and the thing is still trucking! Love it, although I find myself making bigger pots in my Cuisinart at home for multiple people.

As for the bean, I'm a Dunkin' guy for simplicity. There's also a company called Zeke's that's local to Baltimore, and they have outstanding coffee.

TSR2 8*, Ventus TR Red 7x

TSi2 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR2 18°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

MP-20 MMC  5-P, DG X100
SM8 50F, 54S, 58M (X7 "spinners")
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

[quote name='12tamale' timestamp='1388649082' post='8383339']
[quote name='esketores' timestamp='1388619167' post='8381085']
I'm wondering if 12tamale has been in my kitchen. The coffee cup looks very familiar.

[attachment=2004053:coffee1 006a.jpg]
[/quote]
That's a pfaltzgraff coffee cup with the brown drip pattern you have.
[/quote]

That pattern went through mom and dad raising three male hellions. :pimp:
I've had two of the mugs from the collection for longer than I care to remember.

PING G25 12 degree w/S+ @ 45"
Titleist 910F 17° / 910h 24° & 27°
Titleist 913Hd 20°
PING G25's 6-U KBS Tour - V
Cleveland RTX 53 / 588 56°
Callaway ProType ix 9ht

[quote name='mac94' timestamp='1388630585' post='8382219']
I honestly have no idea how you guys drink this stuff. To me, coffee is one of the most distasteful things I have ever ingested. Plus, I hate smelling people's coffee breath. Blech.
[/quote]

Why post this in a coffee thread? :)

Anyway, I don't qualify as a coffee expert/aficionado like some of you guys, but I do like coffee. I usually drink Don Francisco's Colombian (2-3 cups each morning). Lately I've been using the little k- cups in my Keurig (Xmas Blend and Holiday Blend). Pretty good stuff, I think, but not at the level of the coffee some of you guys get.

i'm not really a snob or anything. I'll get a Mocha or Latte in the morning though from starbucks, or Tim Hortons (for you americans, Tim Hortons is the company that secretely runs all of Canada)

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Nice thread.

My head is not on straight til coffee. I can appreciate all the great coffee from a little cup off a food truck in the old school paper Greek diner cup (always too sweet)

To a magificent Cappuccino prepared by my Father in Law

My favorite is a double espresso brewed in one of of those 92,000 dollar machines after a big plate of squid/pasta an a cannoli. Where the froth is thick and the sugar floats for a few seconds before falling into the black depth.

Then, one big sip, then keep slowly pouring in Sambuca to the finish.