2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Maxfli - Dead Man Walking

Onebulldogs

[quote name='tonys6' post='838651' date='Dec 27 2007, 04:28 PM']Cobra Norman Grind 1 iron TT DG X100?

Wow, now THAT is an impressive club to carry!

I am getting a headache trying to imagine hitting it myself, though.[/quote]

I'm an old fashioned sort.

I don't go as far as wearing a shirt and tie on the course under a tweed jacket, but you get the idea... :busted2:

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Pal

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Onebulldogs' post='837874' date='Dec 26 2007, 10:29 PM']for under $20 per ball.[/quote]

My god, I've been paying much less than that! :lol: I play around $1-$1.50. You've been ripped off! $20 a ball is insane.

:busted2:

Okay, back to topic. I have to be honest, since I've been playing, Maxfli has been a ball company to me and not that a good one at that. The Fire Tour is their only decent product that I've ever hit.

[quote name='CLEVELAND59' post='838198' date='Dec 27 2007, 09:41 AM']I don't get the reaction I am reading from people here. Maxfli, as a semi standalone under various Dunlop relationships, was beyond all hope from a business standpoint when TMAG purchased the assets of the company. It had long since began digging its own grave. While TMAG did little or nothing to help that matter, to place the blame squarely on TMAG for killing the brand is ignorant.

While a small cross section of the golf community raved about the Revolution black irons and the resurgance of the Australian blade nameplate to a blade type iron, clearly TM was not going to have Maxfli continue to produce brands that competed directly with some of its products. And anyone who has ever played the original, true Australian blade will tell you that the model pictured above was far and away an inferior product, almost an insult to the reputation of the real, forged, model. From a business standpoint it made no sense for Maxfli to continue to produce equipment.

As for the ball business, Maxfli[s most valuable asset was its patents. With the ball business a focus for TMAG, clearly the newest and most promising technology that Maxfli had developed was going to end up with a Taylor Made logo and name on it. That's just a reality of business. TMAG could have easily killed the Maxfli name right there, the day they bought the company. It would have been understandable, logical and a sound business decision. If TMAG is guilty of anything, its trying to hard to save a brand name that was DOA in terms of its value as a premium golf ball name, the minute it arrived on a store shelf. TMAG pushed the Maxfli Noodle harder than any company has ever pushed a ball. If you look at the advertising budgets that TMAG spent on that ball, its staggering. They ate margain like crazy. Still, despite a million efforts, some misguided, some not, the Maxfli name just didn't have any equity in the ball market in terms of its ability to sell premium balls, much less a mid level, non premium ball.

If you want to blame TMAG for anything, blame it for not pulling the plug on the Maxfli name earlier.[/quote]

Coming from a guy playing 12 TM clubs:)

Titleist Tsr2 9*

PXG 0311 XF Gen 5 15*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Ping i210 5-P (26*-45*)

Ping iE1 50*

Ping Glide 3.0 54*/58*

Ping Fetch

slightly off subject but its amazing how little recognition thre is for jacklin in his home town. despite house prices being some of the lowest in the uk and the towns main employer still being the steel works scunny is golf mad. local residents have probably 7 golf courses to choose from virtually all of which are quality layouts, one of which,gainsboro, is obviously pings european hq. yet go into scunny golf club(they try and be posh now and call themselves ashby decoy) and there are bigger pictures of former captains than there is of an open, us open champion and ryder cup saviour. they still have big amateur event, the jacklin trophy, that i used to play before i turned pro but its suprising how little is made of the connection to a fairly important figure in the development of european golf.Havin said that he's a t%*£~er for doing the JJB ads!!!

I can remember them making some decent balls back in the 90's and a decent set of cavity backs about 7 years ago, but other than that I can't remember anything remarkable. Nothing lost. Maybe Golfsmith can buy the brand name and stick it with that Lynx, Snake Eyes, Killer Bee, and other dead brands they bought.

[quote name='alcap26' post='838133' date='Dec 27 2007, 11:30 PM']Man the old Maxfli Balatas (HT I believe) were right up there with the Titty Tour Balatas. It really is a shame what TM did to Maxfli.[/quote]

maxfli balata now that was a ball with spin and bite, sorry to see maxfli go, a great brand destroyed.
cheers peter

Wouldn't it be cool if MacGregor bought the rights to the Maxfli name (TMAG would never sell the patents) and then rebaged a high-end ball (Srixon) until they could get things rolling? The Norman and Nicklaus ties to both MacGregor and Maxfli make it seem like they could belong together. Anyway, just a thought.

TaylorMade SIM D 10.5 Project X Riptide CB 50
TaylorMade SIM D 3 16 Fwy Project X Riptide 60
TaylorMade SIM D 3 Max Rescue 3 19 Ventus

Callaway Rogue Hybrids 4,5 Aldila Synergy
Callaway CF16, 6-PW TT XP95
Callaway X Forged 50-12 / 55-15 C grind / 60.9 C grind
TaylorMade / Balboa / Rossa Maranello / Bettinardi BB34
TaylorMade Burner TP LDP / TP5x
Ogio Ozone / Edge / Nexos

Now I am going to only play that last box of Revolution Tours I have on special occassions.

Ping G430 Max 9* Kai’li white 60

Callaway Paradym 15*
Titleist TSR2 21* hybrid Atmos blue
Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 5-P

Titleist SM9 48*
Titleist SM7 54* & 58* Slate Blue
Ping Ketch/SC Select Newport II Midslant

[quote name='spring70' post='838764' date='Dec 27 2007, 05:51 PM'][quote name='CLEVELAND59' post='838198' date='Dec 27 2007, 09:41 AM']I don't get the reaction I am reading from people here. Maxfli, as a semi standalone under various Dunlop relationships, was beyond all hope from a business standpoint when TMAG purchased the assets of the company. It had long since began digging its own grave. While TMAG did little or nothing to help that matter, to place the blame squarely on TMAG for killing the brand is ignorant.

While a small cross section of the golf community raved about the Revolution black irons and the resurgance of the Australian blade nameplate to a blade type iron, clearly TM was not going to have Maxfli continue to produce brands that competed directly with some of its products. And anyone who has ever played the original, true Australian blade will tell you that the model pictured above was far and away an inferior product, almost an insult to the reputation of the real, forged, model. From a business standpoint it made no sense for Maxfli to continue to produce equipment.

As for the ball business, Maxfli[s most valuable asset was its patents. With the ball business a focus for TMAG, clearly the newest and most promising technology that Maxfli had developed was going to end up with a Taylor Made logo and name on it. That's just a reality of business. TMAG could have easily killed the Maxfli name right there, the day they bought the company. It would have been understandable, logical and a sound business decision. If TMAG is guilty of anything, its trying to hard to save a brand name that was DOA in terms of its value as a premium golf ball name, the minute it arrived on a store shelf. TMAG pushed the Maxfli Noodle harder than any company has ever pushed a ball. If you look at the advertising budgets that TMAG spent on that ball, its staggering. They ate margain like crazy. Still, despite a million efforts, some misguided, some not, the Maxfli name just didn't have any equity in the ball market in terms of its ability to sell premium balls, much less a mid level, non premium ball.

If you want to blame TMAG for anything, blame it for not pulling the plug on the Maxfli name earlier.[/quote]

Coming from a guy playing 12 TM clubs:)
[/quote]

Who just went on a staff deal with Titleist, FWIW. And that sig hasn't been updated in a LONG time. I should get around to do that but anyway, since you've brought it up, I currently have 2 TM clubs in my bag, my driver and my putter and those will be changing shortly. The 3 wood is now an Adams 5050 tour issue (which will have to be changed out for a 906F2) and the hybrid is a 585H. The irons are 962B grinds and I have to figure out what model I will get in the new Irons. As for the wedges, there is a Vokey spin mill 54 and my Cally 58. But thanks for your concern. :busted2:

Now back to the matter at hand:

The business landscape is full of examples where long time names have been discarded or "killed", look at GM killing Oldsmobile a number of years ago. Same scenario. Brand lost its direction, name lost its value in the marketplace and eventually was killed off. Callaway is slowly in the process of killing the Ben Hogan name, although far more quietly than TMAG did with Maxfli. It's evolution.

Another Maxfli memory...Maxfli and Slazenger used to be high quality brands, and if someone could revive them as a niche, could hopefully 'rise again'...I used to play the Maxfli tour limited forged cavity backs, and they were a solid iron! Also the Maxfli HT 100 balata, the old Maxfli MD (Mad Dog) for scramble tournaments, and the Slazenger balata as well. Really good balls, and solid irons. Too bad about the brand, I hope it rests in peace, but people should also remember how good it was! Jack Nicklaus had a Slazenger endorsement when he played overseas...