GIVEAWAY: PING Heppler Anser 2 Putter- ENTER HERE, Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 3W - ENTER HERE.

Looking for a 3/4wood + shaft - Gaming a Cleveland Classic Driver with Kusala Indigo 61x tipped 0.5

elnino1905 ·  
elnino1905elnino1905 Members  11WRX Points: 0Posts: 11
HAPPY NEW YEAR!<br />
<br />
Hi all, this is my first post so I'm really looking forward to all your input.<br />
<br />
Short version: I'm looking for a fairway wood, 3w/4w to put in the bag. I currently game (with good success) the Cleveland Classic XL 285 Driver with a 44in, 0.5 tipped Miyazaki Kusala Indigo 61X shaft. SS 113-118 mph. Carry 260-290yds.<br />
<br />
Long version: While I've found a driver head and shaft combo I swear by - my previous head was the brown/gold Cleveland Classic 290 which I had to retire because I had bashed its face in, I have wasted a lot of money trying to find a 3 wood to no avail. Amongst my ex FWs you'll find anything from Mizuno MP, to Nike Covert Tour (Kuro Kage 70g), to Wishon (S2S 85 Stiff - for which I was fit).<br />
<br />
I feel the problem lies first in that the 3 wood is, for most of us mortals, still a really hard club to hit.<br />
Then I've found the Covert Tour (adjustable) to be a difficult proposition because I play a square stance pull fade and the slighty open face screams PUSH fade/slice (it's psychologically tough to deal with even after setting it to a closed face setting). The shaft plays very stiff to flex and the trajectory is great when I can flush it (250-280 total with roll) - not often.<br />
<br />
The Wishon 949 MC is a very square face which is pleasing but is fairly bulky (I like small heads and play Miura baby blades). The main issue is that my swing has changed a great deal since I got these with my SS having increased by 10+ mph, the shafts are playing like noodles and every flushed shot balloons and most of the time I get next to no roll.<br />
<br />
Here's where I especially need your advice:<br />
<br />
Should I get a shaft with a softer flex in my FW relative to my driver to make sure I get the same shot height and avoid too much roll? Or should I get a shaft with a softer tip in the same flex (X)?<br />
- I'm looking at Bradley's bag where he's actually gaming a stiffer (Kusala Black) shaft in his 3w - what's the reasoning behind that?<br />
<br />
How much heavier should it be 10+g or 20+g?<br />
<br />
For the head: Cleveland Classic Fairway or Exotics XCG or....?<br />
<br />
Thanks guys for chiming in...and helping me find this dream stick.
Posted:

Comments

• JJensenJJensen MNWRX - FBefnD Members  2819WRX Points: 36Posts: 2,819 Titanium Tees
    Fairways are weird. I play a D+ 72x in my driver and a mid launch BB 83x in my fairway woods. But!<br />
    <br />
    My buddy plays the same low launch D+ 72s in his driver and a YS-6 Stiff in his 3 wood. So he actually goes lighter. <br />
    <br />
    Honestly there is no set rule of thumb for what to do. If I were you I would go to a GG/GS/PGASS and try out as many as you can. Fin a head you like the look and feel of then start experimenting with shafts. I would give a Kusala silver/White 72/83x a look since you like your indigo. <br />
    <br />
    If it helps a few of my favorite fairway heads are Ping i20, 910F, Anser, 913Fd, SLDR and Mizuno MP Ti
    Posted:
    913D3 8.5* - Elements Chrome 7F5T
    BioCell+ 14.5* - VTS Silver TourSPX 8SX
    Z U45 18* - DG X100
    J40CB 3-P - DG Tour Issue X100
    SM5 52F and 58K -DG Tour Issue S400
    SC Monterey 1.5 - Blacked Out Pistolero
    WITB Link

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.